Le Cellier Review
by Kevin Klose - 1/04/08
As part of our yearly tradition, we book a Candlelight Processional package for Christmas Eve. This has been the case for several years.
We have a plan of attack for the day that Candlelight Packages are to begin booking. We get up at the crack of dawn and begin dialing the phone. We communicate via computer and the first one that gets through makes the reservation.
Our restaurant of choice for Christmas Eve dinner has always been Le Cellier. I’m not really sure why this is so…but it is…or I should say it has been.
Disney has mucked around with the Candlelight Processional packages (from here on out to be referred to as CPP….purely for my convenience as Candlelight Processional Package is a pain to type) in that they have changed the way these can be booked.
In the past, you were allowed to book your CPP with the show first with dinner to follow. This allowed you to line up early, see the fantastic show and then enjoy a leisurely dinner with a beautiful stroll out of Epcot, past the tree and lighted arch and home to wait for Santa.
Well all of that changed last year when Disney decided that you must eat first and then see the show.
This makes for a rather rushed evening as you must have dinner and then rush to the Americas Theater in order to get in a line with the same population as one of our smaller states. For those of you familiar with the Epcot terrain…we got in line near Morocco. That’s TWO countries away. So much for leisurely….
I can see Disney’s reasoning for doing this. It allows them to turn over their tables more frequently by rushing you through dinner in order to go see your show. It also allows them to fill the less desirable dining times with folks doing the CPP and still have openings for guests not partaking in the package.
Just because I understand it…doesn’t mean I have to like it. And I don’t.
It just may be time for a new tradition.
On to the restaurant review…
It is my understanding that the chef from Le Cellier has recently left to fill an opening at Jiko in Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge. Jiko found itself with an opening when
its chef left to go….oh I don’t know where…but it doesn’t matter as this about Le Cellier.
I have always been fond of Le Cellier (in it’s current form…it used to be horrendous many years ago). It is a cozy little restaurant that lends itself to intimate meals in a charming setting.
We arrived for our advanced dining reservation a bit early on one of the busiest nights of the year armed with reservation numbers and thoughts of good things ahead.
As we have done this before, we made two reservations, each for a party of four, knowing fully well that we might be sat at opposite ends of the restaurant. But we also know that trying to make a reservation for eight on a holiday makes the Disney agent’s head explode. We have found this method to be far easier.
Upon approaching the podium, we were met by what seemed to be a pre-programmed animatronic hostess. She had a spiel to share and she was not deviating from it. I was trying to explain that we had two reservations and would like to sit together but completely understood if that was not possible. During my explanation, she asked if we had reservations as that evening was completely booked. I can understand that she was preparing for the onslaught, but it hadn’t started as of yet.
After explaining the situation again, she let me know that she would try to accommodate our wishes. We explained again that we understood if it was not possible.. we were asked to wait a few extra moments and finally we were seated at a table for eight.
I need to give credit to Disney when they do something right. This was well handled.
Upon receiving our menus, we noticed that there were some minor changes but the majority of the menu remains in tact. There have been no drastic changes in what is being offered.
As part of the CPP, you are allowed an appetizer, an entrée, a dessert and a non-alcoholic beverage so we got busy making decisions.
We ordered our appetizers and upon their arrival quickly began noticing some changes after all. The portion sizes have gotten smaller on several items. The bowl of Beef Barley Soup ($5.99) is now a cup. Two of our party ordered it and deemed it so salty that it was inedible. The two bowls were sent back and replaced with different appetizers.
The famous Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup ($5.49) was also served in a smaller cup. It was good but could have been hotter.
Someone also order what might be the oddest choice on the menu. It was the Spicy Chicken and Chipotle Sausage ($8.99). It was an extremely spicy sausage serves on a bed of polenta with “sweet onion jam”. Does that scream Canada or what?
The biggest disappointment during the appetizers was mine. I ordered the Beefsteak Tomato Stack ($7.99). This is something I order every year. I know I’m getting it when I make the reservations. It’s not a fancy dish, but I love it. It’s usually thick slices of ripe tomato layered with slices of mozzarella cheese with greens and vinaigrette. It’s always big enough to share and Le Cellier has these salt grinders (similar to a pepper mill) that leave great chunks of salt on my tomatoes. Can you tell I like this dish?
It has been reduced to a slice of tomato, with a teaspoon of tomato puree on top and two marble sized balls of mozzarella with a few specks of balsamic vinegar. It was dreadful and not worth the price. I was sorely disappointed and I know it’s not a big deal. I can make this at home….but it’s disappointing all the same.
After we received our appetizers, I asked our waiter about the changes and he firmly stated that there had been NO changes made. He also let us know that he’d been there since March. Oh well…..dinner is coming.
The entrees faired much better. We ordered the Seared Free-Range Chicken ($19.99), two orderes of the 14 oz New York Strip Steak (29.99) and the Le Cellier Mushroom Filet Mignon ($28.99).
All of our meals were fair to good. There was really nothing bad to note. I believe the worst thing I could say about the entrees were that they were acceptable. There were no wow factors but also no major disappointments.
My Mushroom Filet was good but not great, but for $29.00 it should be great
Desserts at our table were crème Brule, chocolate cake and sorbet. Again…there was nothing to note and most of dessert was left on the table as we had to rush off to get in line for the Candlelight Processional.
It is my opinion that Le Cellier has reached it’s iconic status as the “must do” restaurant in Epcot based not on the quality of the food but more on the fact that reservations can be hard to get. It’s one of the smaller restaurants in Epcot and the law of supply and demand has given this restaurant a reputation it does not deserve.
Also….if you are in Disney when the Candlelight Processional is playing…go see it!!!. Whatever your religious beliefs…..it’s rousing to hear that many voices. It’s a good show.
As for the Candlelight Processional Package…..I think Disney has mucked it up enough to make it far less enjoyable. No one should feel rushed through dinner.
I think next year, we will make an ADR for earlier in the season and then go see the show like we used to and spend Christmas Eve doing something else.
- VIDEO: DIS Unplugged - Live From Aulani - 05/21/13 - Follow along with us as we go beyond the parks!
- Blog - 7 in 7: Art of Animation Resort
- VIDEO: Disney Beyond The Parks - Producing the Aulani Live Show - Visit http://www.wdwinfo.com/beyondtheparks/#hawaii to view the full DIS Unplugged show from Aulani in Hawaii. For the latest updates on our trip to Aulani and Hawaii, visit http://new.livestream.com/TheDIS/aulani Join the DIS Team as we explore Disney beyond the parks, starting with Aulani, a Disney Resort and Spa in Hawaii!
- Follow along as the DIS goes... Beyond The Parks!! - Members of the DIS Unplugged podcast team are headed to Disney's Aulani Resort, sailing on an Alaskan Disney cruise and taking an Adventures by Disney Backstage Magic trip!
- Blog - Help! A Walt Disney World Vet’s First Time at Disneyland – Part 5
- Watch our live broadcast from Disney's Aulani Resort - Tue. May 21 at 8pm EDT - Disney... Beyond The Parks! Come with us as we visit Disney's Aulani Resort, sail on an Alaskan Disney cruise, and take an Adventures By Disney trip! We're kicking off the trip with a live broadcast from Disney's Aulani Resort - Tue. May 21, 2013 8:00pm EDT.
- Livestream coverage of Star Wars Weekends events - Photos and video of Star Wars Weekends at Disney's Hollywood Studios.
- Blog - Star Wars Weekends 2013 comes to Disney’s Hollywood Studios
- Schedule of artists for the Eat to the Beat concerts - As with all Disney events, themed entertainment is part of the festivities. Visitors to the Food and Wine Festival can "Eat to the Beat!"
- Festival of the Masters dates released for November 2013 - This art festival will be held at Downtown Disney November 8-10, 2013.
- Blog - FIRST LOOK: Disney's MyMagic+ MagicBand - The DIS got a first look at Disney's new MagicBands which are part of their MyMagic+ rollout! Take a look at the photos of the MagicBand and a brief review of what we thought about wearing them...
- Blog - Summer Dooney & Bourke Release Update
- Schedule released for Star Wars Weekends - Schedule for the events during Star Wars Weekends.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Disney's Hollywood Studios - Sunset Boulevard - With our "Disney Park Bench" series, we're giving you a 5-minute break to relax with the sights and sounds of Walt Disney World.
- Free admission to Blizzard Beach for Annual Passholders today! - Today, May 16, Annual Passholders will get complimentary admission to Disney's Blizzard Beach Water Park after 2:00 pm. Complimentary refreshments and giveaways will take place at Lottawatta Lodge.
- Blog - Moving the Needle at the Orlando Theme Parks
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Magic Kingdom - Crystal Palace - With our "Disney Park Bench" series, we're giving you a 5-minute break to relax with the sights and sounds of Walt Disney World.
- Adventurers Outpost meet and greet location opens at Animal Kingdom - The new indoor meet and greet location for Mickey and Minnie is now open in Discovery Island.
- November 2013 Disney World park hours added
- Details released for 2013 Epcot Food and Wine Festival - A Scotland marketplace will be added. Dates for the Party for the Senses, as well as a partial schedule for the Eat to the Beat concerts also released.
- Summer edition coming to Celebrate the Magic show - The summer edition of this show will start later this month, possibly May 24, during the 24-hour Monstrous Summer event.
- Cirque du Soleil closed for refurbishment through May 27 - The next performance of Cirque du Soleil will be May 28.
- Blog - The Contemporary Resort Hotel – Walt Disney World’s Resort Loop Hotels
- Book a trip during the Free Dining promotion! - Free dining is available for check-ins between 9/2 and 9/25/13!
- New operating hours for Splitsville at Downtown Disney - Splitsville, Downtown Disney's luxury bowling alley, has updated its hours of operation.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench Video - Art of Animation - Wheel Well Hotel - With our "Disney Park Bench" series, we're giving you a 5-minute break to relax with the sights and sounds of Walt Disney World.
- Typhoon Lagoon to close for refurbishment - Disney's Typhoon Lagoon water park will be closed from May 12 - May 16 for refurbishment.
- Blog - Merida becomes a Disney Princess (Includes Coronation Video)!
- Limited Time Magic: Make a Moment in Time Out of Mother's Day - Stop by Tren-D or the World of Disney Store at Downtown Disney to see the new collection of watches designed just for the occasion. Moms will receive a flower on Mother's Day when they enter the theme parks.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Coronado Springs - Marina Courtyard - With our "Disney Park Bench" series, we're giving you a 5-minute break to relax with the sights and sounds of Walt Disney World.
- Life-size rancor replica and three one-man shows coming to Star Wars Weekends - Guests will have a photo op with a replica rancor, Jabba the Hut's prized pet. There will also be three one-man shows performed by some of the celebrity guests.
- 30% off Room Only offer available for the general public! - Guests can save up to 30% when they book a Room Only reservation at select Walt Disney World resorts for most nights 8/15/13 - 9/28/13.
- Free Dining offer available for the general public! - Walt Disney World has announced a Free Dining offer for the general public!
- Raglan Road to host Summer Solstice Celebration - Master Chef Kevin Dundon has created the five-course menu for this meal, celebrating the Summer Solstice with fresh, seasonal flavors. Wines have been chosen for each course. Celebrating the Summer Solstice is a time-honored tradition and marks the official start to summer.
- Blog - Disney’s Animal Kingdom’s Split Personality
- Celebrity list updated for Star Wars Weekends - The list of celebrities appearing at Star Wars Weekends later this month has been updated.
- Truckeria Rolling Tacos food truck parked at Downtown Disney this week - Food is available from 6pm - 11pm and will include tacos, chips and salsa.
- Walt Disney World Annual Passholders can save up to 35% at select hotels - Annual passholders can save up to 35% when booking a Room Only reservation at select Walt Disney World hotels. Discount is valid for travel between 6/4/13 - 8/15/13.
- 30% off Room Only offer for Disney Visa cardholders! - Disney Visa cardholders can save up to 30% when they book a Room Only reservation at select Walt Disney World resorts for most nights 8/15/13 - 9/28/13.
- Free Dining offer announced for Disney Visa cardholders! - Disney Visa cardholders can book a Walt Disney World vacation package for 9/2/13 - 9/25/13 and receive the Disney Dining Plan for free!
- Walt Disney World golf courses offer new Players Club program - For $29 per month, members can use the practice ranges for free and take advantage of free daily golf clinics (Monday-Friday) led by PGA-certified golf instructors, as well as receive other discounts.
- Blog - May the Fourth Be with You: Intergalactic Star Wars Shopping
- Limited Time Magic: Celebrate Cinco de Mayo at Epcot - Meet the Three Caballeros, enjoy live music, marionettes, folkloric dancing and songs by Mariachi Cobre.
- Limited Time Magic: Merida Becomes an Official Disney Princess - In a royal coronation ceremony at the Magic Kingdom, Merida (from the film Brave) will be christened as an official Disney Princess.
- Blog - New Disney Dooney & Bourke Release This Summer
- List of performers for 2013 Night of Joy concerts - Disney’s Night of Joy features contemporary Christian performers. The star-studded lineup is always outstanding and features a host of Dove Award and Grammy Award winning artists.
- Blog - Help! A Walt Disney World Vet’s First Time at Disneyland – Part 4
- "The Simpsons" area officially announced for Universal Orlando
- 11-year-old girl molested on Disney Dream; Disney Cruise Line doesn't report incident promptly
- Disney and Lucasfilm announce new animated Star Wars series
- Walt Disney World uses online job fair to hire employees
- Former Disney World employee arrested on pornography charges
- Half-hour Toy Story special coming to ABC this fall
- Expedition Cafe to open with SeaWorld's Antarctica exhibit
- Tour company uses wheelchairs to promise front of the line access at Walt Disney World?
- Calfornia adjusts safety citations and fines against Disneyland
- Disney and Electronic Arts to produce Star Wars video games