Review by Kevin Klose - June 2008
After two visits to the Wave, I can say that I am impressed.
Disney’s newest restaurant, just off the lobby, in the Contemporary Resort, emphasizes the wave of American Cuisine. That’s the theme of The Wave…..American Cuisine. In a place full of “themed restaurants”….it almost seems fitting to have a restaurant that has food as its theme.
It’s difficult to pigeonhole The Wave.
I have started to type a description several times and each time I start I end up with a wild, run-on sentence that makes little sense. When I try to pare down my description, The Wave starts to sound like a “tree hugger” restaurant as Pete said when I was talking about our experience.
I think their focus is much wider than that.
I was told that The Wave was trying to use locally grown and supplied produce so as to cut down on the fuel needed to transport the product. They are using as much organic produce as possible and preparing their dishes to appeal to a more health conscious public.
I realize that this description brings to mind beans sprouts, tofu and Birkenstocks, but keep in mind that The Wave also serves a killer Angus Beef, bacon, cheeseburger.
Our first dining experience was during dinner.
We started with Lettuce Wraps ($11.99) and the Seasonal Soup ($7.99) which on this occasion was roasted tomato bisque with “chef’s accompaniment.
The Lettuce Wraps were sheets of bibb lettuce and bits of lamb and bay scallops in a soy / rice vinegar sauce. They were flavorful, but very spicy and a bit messy.
The soup was wonderful with a slight smokiness. The chef’s accompaniment was two small grilled cheese sandwiches made with Swiss and goat cheese. These were excellent. I hope they add an option of ordering more of them.
Our entrees were the Grilled Marinated Flank Steak (20.99) and Today’s Sustainable Fish ($20.99).
The flank steak was a generous portion of sliced steak over a bed of shredded sweet potatoes and served with veggies and guacamole. The steak was cooked perfectly and the sweet potatoes were wonderful. The addition of the guacamole was inspired.
The Sustainable Fish means that is a species that reproduces quickly and can be harvested without fear of depleting the supply. The selection on the night we were there was a Black Cod. It was served over a bed of edamame, corn and green beans. The fish had been seared and had a dollop of cilantro chutney on top. It melted in your mouth. Black Cod is also known as Butter Fish and there is a good reason for that.
For dessert, you are offered four different selections, each consisting of three “two bite” morsels. If you would like, you are welcome to create your own combination of any three from the available twelve offerings. Dessert runs $7.99 and the range of flavors is terrific.
I recommend that at least one of your choices be the cheesecake with raspberry coulis. Truly delicious.
Dinner for two was approximately $75 .00 and worth every penny.
Our second experience at The Wave was during lunch.
The lunch menu, while less expensive, is still packed with flavor and exciting choices.
There were three of us for lunch and we chose the Seasonal Soup (7.99), the Lump Crab Cake ($11.49) and the Navy Bean Soup.($6.49)
The Seasonal Soup was as described and just as good as the previous night. The Navy Bean Soup was a heart broth based soup and the Lump Crab Cake was a single cake served on top of a bed of lettuce. This crab cake was neither sad nor little. It was moist and full of crab. There was very little filler. Awesome.
The three entrees chosen were the Classic Rueben ($12.99), the Angus Chuck Bacon Cheeseburger ($12.99) and the Spice Crusted Chicken Salad ($14.99).
The Rueben was very nice sandwich and for a twist, served on whole grain bread rather than the usual rye. The bread added a great texture and nuttiness. It was served with baked fingerling potato fries.
The spice Crusted Chicken Salad was tasty and served with a spicy dressing. It contained chunks of apple and polenta croutons. Of the three entrees, I thought it was the one that offered the lesser value. This was priced on the high side at $15.00. It was good, but the other two entrees were better.
The Angus Bacon Cheeseburger was also served on a whole grain bum with the fingerling fries. This is one terrific burger. I m often asked where to get the best burger on Disney property…this gets my vote. An all around winner.
We finished with two more of the three dessert selections and again, were pleasantly surprised.
Lunch for three ran approximately $75.00
I forgot to add that both meals were finished with good coffee. This is not the swill Disney is famous for serving, but a good, decent cup of coffee. We were told that the coffee served is roast specifically for this location and is “shade grown and bird safe”.
When I explained that John was “shade grown and bird safe”, I was just met with a blank look. J
In my opinion The Wave is a clear winner and offers another good choice.
Go try it.
- Blog - The Good and Bad of “Toy Story of TERROR!” on Blu-ray
- American Idol Experience is now closed at Disney's Hollywood Studios - This attraction closed August 30, 2014. No definitive plans have been announced for this space.
- VIDEO: Oogie Boogie's Freaky Funhouse Show at Villains Unleashed - Oogie Boogie's Freaky Funhouse Show at Villains Unleashed brings Vegas to Walt Disney World. Villains Unleashed took over Disney's Hollywood Studios on August 23, 2014 and part of the hard ticket event was Oogie Boogie's Freak Funhouse Show. Oogie Boogie hosts the show that features a sword-swallowing act, daredevil archery and a finale full of fire!
- Refurb closures planned for Walt Disney World water parks - Typhoon Lagoon will be closed 10/26/14-1/3/15 and Blizzard Beach will be closed 1/4/15-3/14/15.
- Top 5 Signature Dining Experiences at the Walt Disney World Resorts - 1,600 listeners and viewers of our DIS Unplugged web-cast voted on their favorite signature restaurants at the Walt Disney World resort hotels.
- Blog - The Top 5 Underutilized Spaces at Walt Disney World
- Starbucks will open at Hollywood Studios in February 2015 - The Trolley Car Cafe will be located along Hollywood Boulevard and be themed like a trolley car station. Disney baked goods and Starbucks La Boulange pastry items will be available. An exact location hasn't been announced.
- VIDEO - Frozen Fireworks Multi-Angle Full Show - “Frozen” Fireworks Spectacular – Everything wraps up at 9:45 p.m. when Anna, Elsa, Kristoff, and Olaf come together at the Sorcerer’s Hat Icon Stage for a grand finale to the day’s festivities, kicking off an awe-inspiring fireworks display set to the glorious music of “Frozen!”
- VIDEO: Star-Lord & Gamora from 'Guardians of the Galaxy' at Villains Unleashed - Peter Quill, aka Star-Lord, and Gamora made their first appearance ever at the Guardians of the Galaxy Awesome Mix Tape Vol. 1 Dance Party during the Villains Unleashed event at Disney's Hollywood Studios.
- Mikala Canoe Club Marina at Polynesian to be closed for refurb - The marina will be closed 9/15 - 9/19/2014. Sail boat/motorized boats and fishing excursions will not be available.
- Entrance 4 to Downtown Disney's parking lot now closed - Entrance 4 (between Cirque du Soleil and DisneyQuest) is now closed permanently. The only entrances are Entrance 2 (across from the Hess Station) and Entrance 5 (across from Typhoon Lagoon).
- VIDEO: Villains Unleashed Opening Ceremony - Villains Unleashed kicked off at Disney's Hollywood Studios with an opening ceremony hosted by Hades, Pain, Panic and Megara from Hercules. Once the stars of the night took the stage they introduced some of the 50 Disney Villains guests could meet at the special hard ticket event.
- VIDEO: Villains Unleashed Event Overview - Over 50 Disney villains took over Disney's Hollywood Studios for the Villains Unleashed Event.
- Times updated for events at Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party - The Party is a specially ticketed event at the Magic Kingdom that begins September 1.
- Villains' Sinister Soiree add-on available for Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party - This special add-on will give guests preferred viewing for Mickey's Boo to You Halloween Parade (8:15pm) and the Happy HalloWishes fireworks show. Lady Tremaine will host a dessert soiree at Cinderella's Royal Table Restaurant for you and some of her friends.
- 5 Elements from the Disney Parks that You'll Find on a Disney Cruise Ship - You have been to the Disney Parks, and you love them. You keep going back for that pixie-dust rush. You can’t imagine a vacation apart from Disney Parks, yet somehow the “old and familiar” is getting a bit old and familiar. This is where the Disney Cruise Line enters. It’s a Disney vacation of a different variety. The dissimilarities are a bit obvious. You’re on a ship in the ocean, visiting foreign places. This is nothing like being landlocked in a park, surrounded by coasters and kiosks. So what can you expect from the Disney Parks to carry over to your cruise?
- Blog - "Villains Unleashed" needs leashing up - Disney's overcrowded hard ticket event leaves guests in long lines most of the night
- Mickey's PhilharMagic refurb extended - The end date has been moved from September 19 to the 28th. The attraction will go down September 8.
- Enchanted Tiki Room going down for refurb in late September - The Magic Kingdom attraction will be closed from 9/27 - 10/3/2014.
- Two Epcot New Year's Eve dining events released - More New Year's Eve events are yet to be released.
- Blog - Beyond Aulani
- Updated operating schedule for monorails - The monorail will have a different operating schedule than normal as an automation upgrade takes place.
- Charging stations for electric vehicles added to Epcot parking lot - Disney has added four Level 2 ChargePoint charging stations to the Journey parking lot at Epcot. Electric vehicles will be charged $.35 per kw/h, with a minimum charge of $1.50.
- Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party tickets sold out on 10/31/14 - Tickets are still available for all other dates.
- New Move it! Shake it! Dance and Play it! Street Party to debut at Magic Kingdom this fall - Stitch and Phineas & Ferb will join the party and Mickey, Minnie, Donald and Goofy will ride on top of giant gift boxes. The soundtrack will feature remixed classic party songs and guests will vote for one of three current hits to be played.
- VIDEO: What's New at Aulani - Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa has many new offerings. Quick service at Ulu Cafe, kids splash zone at Keiki Cove, two new pools, and much more.
- MagicBands can now be purchased without ticket media - The bands are now available for purchase across property.
- Changes to boat schedules at Downtown Disney - Schedules have been changing recently due to construction.
- Blog - The Good and Bad of the "Muppets Most Wanted" Blu-ray
- Ultimate Day VIP Tour available at Epcot Food & Wine Festival - This daylong tour begins at the Festival Center's VIP Lounge and includes champagne, a beverage tasting, six-course tapas-style lunch, wine, private backstage tours, time on Epcot attractions, food and beverage pairings with Disney chefs, VIP seating at the Eat to the Beat Concert Series, and reserved seating for IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth fireworks spectacular.
- Blog - New Golden Oak Outpost Menu is Waffle Fry Heaven
- Sunrise Safari at Animal Kingdom ending 12/28/14 - This tour is exclusive to Animal Kingdom Lodge Kilimanjaro Club Level guests.
- American Idol Experience to close August 30 - No plans have been announced for the space.
- Florida residents save $40 on Cirque du Soleil tickets - Through September and October, Florida residents will save $40 on adult Cirque du Soleil tickets purchased at the box office.
- VIDEO: The Refurbished Capt. Cook's at Polynesian Resort - After a long refurbishment, Capt. Cook's has reopened at the Polynesian Village Resort. Major changes include artwork in the seating area, a new menu, no more ordering off of touch screens and the tragic loss of the Dole Whip self-serve machine.
- American Film Institute at the end of Backlot Tour to close - As of August 17, the American Film Institute Showcase exhibit at the end of the ride will be closed. This exhibit features props and costumes from various films. The gift shop will also close.
- D23 Expo 2015 tickets are now on sale - Tickets for next year's D23 Expo are now on sale. The D23 Expo will be held August 14-16, 2015 at the Anaheim Convention Center.
- Blog - Polynesian Resort's Capt. Cook's quick service restaurant reopens after refurbishment
- Golden Oak Outpost now serving specialty waffle fries - This walk-up stand is located on the backside of Frontierland on the walkway to Adventureland.
- Tower of Terror On-ride videos available with Memory Maker - After riding The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, a video of the guest's ride will be added to their My Disney Experience account. This video is only available to guests who have purchased Memory Maker.
- Win a 2 Night / 3 Day stay at the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin! - Answer 3 questions about the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin on our contest page for a chance to WIN!
- Great Irish Hooley Festival to be held at Downtown Disney - "Hooley" is Irish slang for party or celebration. Celebrate with food, drink and dancing.
- Update coming to My Disney Experience - make dining reservations 20 minutes in advance - A new update will allow guests to make same day dining reservations only 20 minutes in advance.
- Performance times updated for Night of Joy - Disney’s Night of Joy is a hard-ticket event at the Magic Kingdom that features contemporary Christian performers.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Polynesian Resort Lobby - Lobby Waterfall - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at the Polynesian Resort.
- Blog - Haunted Mansion Merchandise Continues to Materialize
- Refurb scheduled this winter for the Haunted Mansion - The attraction will be closed from 12/1 - 12/19/14.
- It's Tough to be a Bug refurb extended until 9/27 - This attraction was originally scheduled to reopen August 11, but will instead stay closed through September 27.
- Yankee Trader shop refurb extended through December - The shop is becoming a Haunted Mansion gift shop.
- Polynesian Resort opens new Dole Whip location
- Popular EPCOT acts to depart this Fall
- Wet 'n Wild employee trapped in pool; now in critical condition
- Star Wars mobile game app released by Disney
- Disney contract approved by part-time employees
- Citation banning whale trainers from water will not be appealed by SeaWorld
- Disney cancels 2014 Festival of the Masters art show
- Radio Disney to shut down stations and lay off employees
- Disney proposes new contract for part-time employees
- SeaWorld announces new habitats for killer whales