Review by Kevin Klose - June 2008
After two visits to the Wave, I can say that I am impressed.
Disney’s newest restaurant, just off the lobby, in the Contemporary Resort, emphasizes the wave of American Cuisine. That’s the theme of The Wave…..American Cuisine. In a place full of “themed restaurants”….it almost seems fitting to have a restaurant that has food as its theme.
It’s difficult to pigeonhole The Wave.
I have started to type a description several times and each time I start I end up with a wild, run-on sentence that makes little sense. When I try to pare down my description, The Wave starts to sound like a “tree hugger” restaurant as Pete said when I was talking about our experience.
I think their focus is much wider than that.
I was told that The Wave was trying to use locally grown and supplied produce so as to cut down on the fuel needed to transport the product. They are using as much organic produce as possible and preparing their dishes to appeal to a more health conscious public.
I realize that this description brings to mind beans sprouts, tofu and Birkenstocks, but keep in mind that The Wave also serves a killer Angus Beef, bacon, cheeseburger.
Our first dining experience was during dinner.
We started with Lettuce Wraps ($11.99) and the Seasonal Soup ($7.99) which on this occasion was roasted tomato bisque with “chef’s accompaniment.
The Lettuce Wraps were sheets of bibb lettuce and bits of lamb and bay scallops in a soy / rice vinegar sauce. They were flavorful, but very spicy and a bit messy.
The soup was wonderful with a slight smokiness. The chef’s accompaniment was two small grilled cheese sandwiches made with Swiss and goat cheese. These were excellent. I hope they add an option of ordering more of them.
Our entrees were the Grilled Marinated Flank Steak (20.99) and Today’s Sustainable Fish ($20.99).
The flank steak was a generous portion of sliced steak over a bed of shredded sweet potatoes and served with veggies and guacamole. The steak was cooked perfectly and the sweet potatoes were wonderful. The addition of the guacamole was inspired.
The Sustainable Fish means that is a species that reproduces quickly and can be harvested without fear of depleting the supply. The selection on the night we were there was a Black Cod. It was served over a bed of edamame, corn and green beans. The fish had been seared and had a dollop of cilantro chutney on top. It melted in your mouth. Black Cod is also known as Butter Fish and there is a good reason for that.
For dessert, you are offered four different selections, each consisting of three “two bite” morsels. If you would like, you are welcome to create your own combination of any three from the available twelve offerings. Dessert runs $7.99 and the range of flavors is terrific.
I recommend that at least one of your choices be the cheesecake with raspberry coulis. Truly delicious.
Dinner for two was approximately $75 .00 and worth every penny.
Our second experience at The Wave was during lunch.
The lunch menu, while less expensive, is still packed with flavor and exciting choices.
There were three of us for lunch and we chose the Seasonal Soup (7.99), the Lump Crab Cake ($11.49) and the Navy Bean Soup.($6.49)
The Seasonal Soup was as described and just as good as the previous night. The Navy Bean Soup was a heart broth based soup and the Lump Crab Cake was a single cake served on top of a bed of lettuce. This crab cake was neither sad nor little. It was moist and full of crab. There was very little filler. Awesome.
The three entrees chosen were the Classic Rueben ($12.99), the Angus Chuck Bacon Cheeseburger ($12.99) and the Spice Crusted Chicken Salad ($14.99).
The Rueben was very nice sandwich and for a twist, served on whole grain bread rather than the usual rye. The bread added a great texture and nuttiness. It was served with baked fingerling potato fries.
The spice Crusted Chicken Salad was tasty and served with a spicy dressing. It contained chunks of apple and polenta croutons. Of the three entrees, I thought it was the one that offered the lesser value. This was priced on the high side at $15.00. It was good, but the other two entrees were better.
The Angus Bacon Cheeseburger was also served on a whole grain bum with the fingerling fries. This is one terrific burger. I m often asked where to get the best burger on Disney property…this gets my vote. An all around winner.
We finished with two more of the three dessert selections and again, were pleasantly surprised.
Lunch for three ran approximately $75.00
I forgot to add that both meals were finished with good coffee. This is not the swill Disney is famous for serving, but a good, decent cup of coffee. We were told that the coffee served is roast specifically for this location and is “shade grown and bird safe”.
When I explained that John was “shade grown and bird safe”, I was just met with a blank look. J
In my opinion The Wave is a clear winner and offers another good choice.
Go try it.
- Epcot After Hours Wind Down extended through November 9 - Stick around after IllumiNations for an evening at one of 4 exclusive lounges featuring food and beverages from award-winning Epcot chefs and sommeliers.
- Blog - Review: "Guardians of the Galaxy" combines humor, action, and a stellar cast to become the perfect summer blockbuster
- All-Star Music food court closes for refurbishment - The Intermission Food Court will be closed 8/1/14-12/20/14 for refurb.
- New events added to Epcot International Food & Wine Festival - Late Nights LIVE! and new Premium Package events added.
- Astro Orbiter rehab extended by one week - Originally scheduled to end September 19, the ride will now reopen September 28.
- Food & Wine Festival Premium events now available for booking - This includes seminars, signature dining experiences and other special events.
- Changes coming to Move It, Shake It, Celebrate It Street Party? - An update is rumored for this parade later this year, possibly around October. Possible changes are new music; Mickey, Minnie, Goofy and Donald moving to the top of the floats; and Stitch joining the fun. Sebastian, Lumiere, and The Mad Hatter will leave the parade.
- During pool rehab, Polynesian guests will have free admission to Blizzard Beach - Originally, the resort guests were just going to be given one-day tickets to the water park, but that has been changed. They will now have complimentary unlimited admission to Blizzard Beach during their stay at the Polynesian.
- List of restaurants participating in the 2015 Disney Dining Plan - This list will be updated as more restaurants are added. Epcot and Downtown Disney restaurants don't normally finalize their participation until later in the year.
- 2015 Magic Your Way Disney World packages released! - A Walt Disney World package is a resort room and theme park admission. The Disney Dining Plan may also be added.
- Happy 15th Birthday to Rock 'n' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith! - The attraction originally opened its doors at Disney’s Hollywood Studios on July 29, 1999.
- Victoria & Albert's will no longer accept Tables in Wonderland - This begins August 1, 2014.
- Summertime Pals Ink & Paint Cel release - This limited release will be available at the event, or pre-order by September 25 at 5:00pm EST.
- Haunted Mansion merchandise shop coming to Magic Kingdom - The former Yankee Trader shop will become a Haunted Mansion merchandise location in the near future. The decor will be inspired by Madame Leota and will carry items from the Haunted Mansion Authentic program, such as apparel, home goods, souvenirs and more.
- Merchandise Events and Artist Appearances/Signings for August - List of authors and artists coming to the theme parks for signings and merchandise releases.
- List of characters updated for Villains Unleashed! event - Over 50 Disney villains will be taking over the park until the 13th hour!
- Beginning today, PhotoPass print packages are no longer offered table-side at character meals - This includes Chef Mickey's, 1900 Park Fare, 'Ohana, Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue, Disney's Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show and Tusker House Restaurant.
- Disney Visa cardholders can book Food & Wine Festival events early - Disney Visa cardholders can book special events two days earlier than the general public - on July 29 and July 30 from 7:00am-11:00pm EST.
- Tables in Wonderland adds blackout dates for several restaurants - The Tables in Wonderland program offers Florida Residents, DVC members and Annual Passholders 20% off of all food and beverage purchases at the participating Disney restaurants.
- Information on Holiday sleigh rides at Fort Wilderness - This horse-drawn "sleigh" ride is a fun way to celebrate the season.
- Marketplace menus for Epot International Food & Wine Festival - List of menu items for the marketplaces set up around World Showcase.
- Rehab planned in November for Magic Carpets of Aladdin - The Magic Kingdom attraction will be closed 11/10 - 11/21/2014.
- Food & Wine Festival Special Dining Experiences released - Bookings for these experiences begin July 31.
- 10 Places to Wait Out a Thunderstorm at Walt Disney World
- Disney Castaway Cay Challenge added to Princess Half Marathon Weekend - Runners who are registered for any of the Disney races (5K or longer) during the Weekend have the option to complete the Disney Castaway Cay Challenge when sailing on the Disney Dream February 23-27.
- Fantasia Miniature Golf Course rehab planned off and on for the next two weeks - Gardens Course closed 7/22-7/25/2014, 7/28-8/1/2014, 8/4-8/8/2014. The Fairways will still be open.
- Blog - I Can Go The Distance: Deciding is one thing, registering is another
- Save up to 30% on a Room Only reservation at Walt Disney World! - Valid for stays most nights 10/4/14 - 11/25/14 and 11/29/14 - 12/23/14.
- 2015 WDW hotel discount released for U.S. Military - Valid for stays most nights 9/28/14 - 10/3/15.
- All 3 remaining weekends sold out for Harambe Nights - July 26, August 2 and August 9 are sold out.
- Annual passholder discount for Spice Road Table - Through 9/17/14, Annual Passholders can get a 30% discount on their bill.
- 2015 Military Ticket Discount info released - Members of the military can purchase 4-day Magic Your Way tickets with Park Hopper option for $177 each.
- Changes to reservation times for Wishes Dessert Party - Reservations are all being set for 6:00pm, no matter when Wishes is taking place. The dessert party will actually take place one hour before Wishes.
- Frozen Summer Fun Premium package is sold out for all remaining dates - This package gives guests at Frozen Summer Fun Live reserved viewing for several events.
- Wild by Design tour to be discontinued after 9/26/14 - This tour takes place at Disney's Animal Kingdom.
- Fantasy Football Convention coming to ESPN Wide World of Sports - The convention will give attendees access to ESPN talent, a live fantasy football draft and more.
- Blog - Sneak Preview of What's Coming to the 2014 Epcot International Food & Wine Festival
- Dates and pricing released for ICE! at Gaylord Palms - Using two million pounds of ice, this Gaylord Palms Resort special ticket exhibit will be transformed into the North Pole.
- Blog - Disney's Magical Express Age Limit Changes: A Parent's & Teacher's Perspective
- Blog - Five Reasons Why We're Not Seeing "Planes: Fire & Rescue" in Theaters
- Blog updated - I Just Spent $20 on FastPasses! Would You? - The author has taken the tour she discussed in the blog - check out her thoughts to see if she would do this again!
- Blog - July 2014 Magic Kingdom Construction Update
- Information for Food & Wine Festival special dining experiences - book 7/31 - Premium events will be announced July 24 and can be booked on July 31 beginning at 7:00am EST. To book, call 407-WDW-FEST (939-3378).
- Princess Half Marathon fills in less than 24 hours - The Princess Half Marathon, the Princess Enchanted 10K and the Glass Slipper Challenge are sold out, filling less than 24 hours after registration opened.
- Dolphins at Epcot will be offstage through August 7 - Guests will not be able to see the dolphins at The Seas with Nemo & Friends. The Dolphins in Depth Tour will be unavailable during this time as well.
- Changes in parking due to Downtown Disney Remodel - Speeds in the area will be reduced, as well as lanes closed. Buena Vista Drive will be expanded to 10 lanes.
- Blog - Disney Responds to Disability Access Service Lawsuit
- Walt Disney World exec leaves to head up Disneyland Paris
- SeaWorld no longer partnering with Southwest Airlines
- Walt Disney World 2015 packages now available to book
- High-speed train will link Shanghai Disneyland to city
- "Clyde and Seamore Take Pirate Island" show cancelled at SeaWorld
- PBS plans Walt Disney biopic
- Release date set for 5th Pirates of the Caribbean film
- Man arrested at Typhoon Lagoon for molesting 4 teenage girls
- Standby line to be cut off in Anna and Elsa meet and greet
- Disney's second quarter injury report: 12-year-old boy cuts fingers on Pirates ride