Review by Kevin Klose - June 2008
After two visits to the Wave, I can say that I am impressed.
Disney’s newest restaurant, just off the lobby, in the Contemporary Resort, emphasizes the wave of American Cuisine. That’s the theme of The Wave…..American Cuisine. In a place full of “themed restaurants”….it almost seems fitting to have a restaurant that has food as its theme.
It’s difficult to pigeonhole The Wave.
I have started to type a description several times and each time I start I end up with a wild, run-on sentence that makes little sense. When I try to pare down my description, The Wave starts to sound like a “tree hugger” restaurant as Pete said when I was talking about our experience.
I think their focus is much wider than that.
I was told that The Wave was trying to use locally grown and supplied produce so as to cut down on the fuel needed to transport the product. They are using as much organic produce as possible and preparing their dishes to appeal to a more health conscious public.
I realize that this description brings to mind beans sprouts, tofu and Birkenstocks, but keep in mind that The Wave also serves a killer Angus Beef, bacon, cheeseburger.
Our first dining experience was during dinner.
We started with Lettuce Wraps ($11.99) and the Seasonal Soup ($7.99) which on this occasion was roasted tomato bisque with “chef’s accompaniment.
The Lettuce Wraps were sheets of bibb lettuce and bits of lamb and bay scallops in a soy / rice vinegar sauce. They were flavorful, but very spicy and a bit messy.
The soup was wonderful with a slight smokiness. The chef’s accompaniment was two small grilled cheese sandwiches made with Swiss and goat cheese. These were excellent. I hope they add an option of ordering more of them.
Our entrees were the Grilled Marinated Flank Steak (20.99) and Today’s Sustainable Fish ($20.99).
The flank steak was a generous portion of sliced steak over a bed of shredded sweet potatoes and served with veggies and guacamole. The steak was cooked perfectly and the sweet potatoes were wonderful. The addition of the guacamole was inspired.
The Sustainable Fish means that is a species that reproduces quickly and can be harvested without fear of depleting the supply. The selection on the night we were there was a Black Cod. It was served over a bed of edamame, corn and green beans. The fish had been seared and had a dollop of cilantro chutney on top. It melted in your mouth. Black Cod is also known as Butter Fish and there is a good reason for that.
For dessert, you are offered four different selections, each consisting of three “two bite” morsels. If you would like, you are welcome to create your own combination of any three from the available twelve offerings. Dessert runs $7.99 and the range of flavors is terrific.
I recommend that at least one of your choices be the cheesecake with raspberry coulis. Truly delicious.
Dinner for two was approximately $75 .00 and worth every penny.
Our second experience at The Wave was during lunch.
The lunch menu, while less expensive, is still packed with flavor and exciting choices.
There were three of us for lunch and we chose the Seasonal Soup (7.99), the Lump Crab Cake ($11.49) and the Navy Bean Soup.($6.49)
The Seasonal Soup was as described and just as good as the previous night. The Navy Bean Soup was a heart broth based soup and the Lump Crab Cake was a single cake served on top of a bed of lettuce. This crab cake was neither sad nor little. It was moist and full of crab. There was very little filler. Awesome.
The three entrees chosen were the Classic Rueben ($12.99), the Angus Chuck Bacon Cheeseburger ($12.99) and the Spice Crusted Chicken Salad ($14.99).
The Rueben was very nice sandwich and for a twist, served on whole grain bread rather than the usual rye. The bread added a great texture and nuttiness. It was served with baked fingerling potato fries.
The spice Crusted Chicken Salad was tasty and served with a spicy dressing. It contained chunks of apple and polenta croutons. Of the three entrees, I thought it was the one that offered the lesser value. This was priced on the high side at $15.00. It was good, but the other two entrees were better.
The Angus Bacon Cheeseburger was also served on a whole grain bum with the fingerling fries. This is one terrific burger. I m often asked where to get the best burger on Disney property…this gets my vote. An all around winner.
We finished with two more of the three dessert selections and again, were pleasantly surprised.
Lunch for three ran approximately $75.00
I forgot to add that both meals were finished with good coffee. This is not the swill Disney is famous for serving, but a good, decent cup of coffee. We were told that the coffee served is roast specifically for this location and is “shade grown and bird safe”.
When I explained that John was “shade grown and bird safe”, I was just met with a blank look. J
In my opinion The Wave is a clear winner and offers another good choice.
Go try it.
- Beaches and Cream will begin accepting reservations December 18 - This small soda fountain restaurant serves burgers, sandwiches and their signature ice cream desserts.
- Limited Time Magic: Secret Santa Week - Visit the Town Square Christmas Tree on Main Street and see Duffy in his Christmas outfit. Other Disney characters will be located around the park. Get a special decorated keepsake card from each one as a souvenir.
- Limited Time Magic: Tour the Magic Kingdom with Phil Holmes - 25 lucky guests will get to tour the park with current Vice President Phil Holmes.
- Blog - Best Places to View EPCOT’s Illuminations: Reflections of Earth
- VIDEO: Holiday Storytellers - The Canadian Holiday Voyageurs - New to Holidays Around The World 2013 at Epcot in 2013 are the Canadian Holiday Voyageurs. The Canadian Holiday Voyageurs play multiple sets each day filled with Christmas songs done the Canadian way on the Mill Stage.
- Blog - EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW with Jonathan Groff from FROZEN
- Guests at All Star Resorts will no longer receive Key to the World cards - As of 12/2/13, guests at All Star Sports Resort will no longer receive a Key to the World card. All information for the resort and parks will be on the Magic Band you receive when you check in. This will begin at All Star Music on 12/4/13 and at All Star Movies on 12/6/13. This system is already in place at Pop Century.
- VIDEO: it's a small world Holiday Full POV Ride-Through - The happiest cruise that ever sailed gets even merrier for the holidays. it's a small world, the 1964 World's Fair attraction that came to Disneyland in 1966, gets a full overlay for the holiday season including decorations and a new soundtrack!
- Atlanta Braves spring training tickets now on sale - The Atlanta Braves return to ESPN Wide World of Sports for their annual spring training. Tickets are first come/first served and the games take place at Champion Stadium.
- Blog - Give Kids the World Village and Giving Tuesday December 3, 2013
- VIDEO: Gran Fiesta Tour POV Ride-Through - Donald Duck disappears on his way to a Three Caballeros performance in Mexico City and his friends, José Carioca and Panchito Pistoles, set out to search for him.
- Blog - Brewing Now: Joffrey’s Disney Parks Collection of Coffees
- Blog - A Brit’s Perspective – Visiting the UK in Orlando
- Specialty food and drink offered for holidays at Epcot - New this holiday season, each country will be serving a specialty food and drink.
- New bus loop at Magic Kingdom open - In addition to regular single stops, there are several double stops that will accommodate two regular buses or one of the new articulated buses.
- Limited Time Magic: Donate a Duffy the Disney Bear to Toys for Tots - Visit the Once Upon a Toy store or the World of Disney store at Downtown Disney and with every $5 purchase, Disney will donate a Duffy the Disney Bear toy to Toys for Tots.
- Limited Time Magic: Jolly Year of the Ear - Celebrate the season in style with Santa Mickey and Minnie Santa ear hats - only available for a short time at the Emporium at Magic Kingdom.
- Times and dates for Epcot holiday storytellers - Each country has its own special theme that highlights its culture. Storytellers will delight you with tales of their heritage and how the holidays are celebrated in their homeland.
- VIDEO: "Let It Go" from Disney's Frozen in Celebrate the Magic - This holiday season, "Let It Go" from Disney's Frozen is featured in Celebrate the Magic, the nighttime projection show on Cinderella Castle.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Main Street Plaza - Cinderella Castle - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Main Street Plaza - Cinderella Castle November 11, 2013 - Night
- Blog - Happy Thanksgiving from the Magic Kingdom!
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Main Street U.S.A. Bridge - Main Street U.S.A. - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Main Street U.S.A. Bridge - Main Street U.S.A., November 11, 2013 - Night
- Blog - Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom: Turnstile-Free!
- New holiday entertainment for the Canada pavilion at Epcot - Follow the Canadian Holiday Voyageurs on a musical tour to discover the country's holiday customs.
- Blog - Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights 101
- Royal Caribbean is offering a $200 Onboard Credit and 50% Reduced Deposit! - The offer is only available for booking on December 2, 3 and 4, 2013.
- Disney Vacation Club members offered event at Splitsville Luxury Lanes - On December 2 and 9 from 5-6:45pm, the experience will include bowling, shoe rental, a shared appetizer, an entree (or kids' meal), a signature beverage and a special DVC gift.
- Several rehabs added for early 2014 - The Magic Carpets of Aladdin, Festival of the Lion King, Kali River Rapids, and the Studio Backlot Tour have all been added to the rehab list.
- Aulani named Best for Families by Fodor's Travel - Aulani was recently named "Best for Families" by Fodor's Travel in their "Top 10 Hawaiian Resorts for 2013" list.
- Blog - Review: “Frozen”
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Main Street Train Station - Main Street U.S.A. - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Main Street Train Station - Main Street U.S.A., November 11, 2013 - Night
- Limited Time Magic: Thanksgiving Treats Available - Special treats will be available at various locations in the theme parks.
- New Year's Eve dining info for Swan and Dolphin Hotels - The restaurants of the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin will be offering special New Year's Eve menus.
- Walt Disney World Annual Passholders can save up to 37% at select hotels - Discount is valid for travel between 1/4/14-3/18/14, 3/14/14-3/29/14, 1/19/14-3/13/14 and 3/30/14-4/12/14.
- Blog - Why I’m excited to take my baby on a Disney Cruise!
- Limited Time Magic: Jingle Cruise poster giveaway - Celebrate the Jingle Cruise at Magic Kingdom and Disneyland Park with a complimentary mini poster while supplies last.
- Several rehabs scheduled for the Magic Kingdom - Among the closings are The Plaza Restaurant, Pinocchio Village Haus, Tomorrowland Transit Authority People Mover, Barnstormer, and the Liberty Square Riverboat.
- Blog - Disney’s Newest Animated Feature “Frozen” Flurries Into Theme Parks On Both Coasts
- The Comedy Warehouse Holiday Special to return? - Rumors are that the popular holiday version of The Comedy Warehouse will be returning to Hollywood Studios this year.
- Blog - EXCLUSIVE: Nikon becomes the Official Camera of Walt Disney World and Disneyland
- VIDEO: Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party 2013 - What happens when you combine one 30,000 pound, 65 foot tree, one 40 foot star, 5500 twinkling lights, 430 feet of garland, 325 ornaments, 275 feet of strung popcorn, 400 flickering candles, 135 candy canes, 100 gingerbread cookies and the Disney Characters? Why, you have the perfect recipe for Christmas at the Magic Kingdom!
- Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party Photography - Creative photos from Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party
- Christmas dining options for Walt Disney World - All restaurants on property will be open as normal, but some are serving special Christmas menus.
- Thanksgiving dining options at Walt Disney World - All restaurants on property will be open as normal, but some are serving special Thanksgiving menus.
- New looks available for the holidays at Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique - Now through 1/3/14, little girls can choose from a Frozen Package or a Holiday Minnie Package.
- Santa Claus comes to Downtown Disney - At the Marketplace, you'll find Santa Claus waiting to greet you at his chalet in front of the World of Disney store.
- VIDEO: Josh Gad - Voice of Olaf in "Frozen" - Interview - Josh Gad, the voice of Olaf in "Frozen" and "World of Color - Winter Dreams" and Tony Award nominee for "The Book of Mormon", takes a few minutes to talk about how important it was to work on a Disney film that led to a theme park experience and the music behind it all.
- All guests at Pop Century will now use MagicBands - As of 11/14/13, guests at Pop Century will no longer receive a Key to the World card. All information for the resort and parks will be on the Magic Band you receive when you check in.
- Heart is the third musical group to cancel SeaWorld performance
- Willie Nelson backs out of SeaWorld Orlando's Bands, Brew & BBQ event
- Disney obtains distrbution rights to future Indiana Jones films
- Family sues Disney when woman dies from complications after a fall
- Disney's PhotoPass+ changing to Memory Maker
- WestJet debuts Sorcerer Mickey plane
- Seaworld Orlando's Shamu show closes for 3 months
- Barenaked Ladies cancels SeaWorld concert due to animal rights issue
- 12-year-old girl protests SeaWorld parade float
- SeaWorld plans several events for early 2014