How Much is Too Much?
They did it again. For the second time this year, Disney increased the price of their tickets. If you just returned from Disney World, would you have been willing to pay more? Was it priced right or was it already overpriced? Will this increase make you reconsider postponing or shortening your next trip?
Here are the $25 Disney dining certificate winners
from this week's Sound Off. Congratulations!
We expect Disney's prices to go up every year. Many of us plan ahead for that, thus, if we have a trip scheduled for 2007, we purchase the tickets in 2006. This move was not only unexpected but they did it with very little warning. I check the Disney boards a few time per week and read about it only days before the increase. Since they raised their prices from 2005 to 2006 by a decent margin, I did not expect the increase to be as substantial-it was! Not to mention they also increased the resorts and decreased the number of restaurants participating in the meal plan by a rather large amount.
Disney attendance has been increasing and obviously they feel that they can get these prices. I only hope that they do not increase them again in January!
Mini Sorcerer's Mom
Hopewell junction, NY
It seems, at least in my neck of the woods, that the recent increase in Disney prices have caused a bit of a stir. I have been amused over the past few days because some people (those not so enamored by the house of mouse) have been all to eager to tell me that the prices at Disney went up...AGAIN!! As if this news is going to have some cataclysmic effect on my very existence. Shocking news to me?? I say no, not really. What can you expect in a world where gas prices are over 3 dollars a gallon and probably rising again in the near future. My electric bill was enough to send me into convulsions when I opened that recently. For what it costs to buy a gallon of milk, it may be cheaper to buy the cow. Funny though, how nobody seems to want to talk about those things to me. The question that comes up is almost inevitable I suppose...Will you still go if the prices go up anymore?? Of course I will, and in my opinion so won't everyone else who wants to. For me the price increases may mean going in value season in the future, or it may cause me to reconsider the level of accomodations that I normally frequent, but it will never truly stop me from going one way or another. You can't put a price tag on the smiles it puts on my kids faces and at least for now that is enough of a reason to pay a little bit extra.
I think the rise in ticket prices is fair. My opinion is probably not the most popular, but it is what I believe. I recently heard that each Fantasmic show costs $20,000 to run. That is a huge expense for that one show. Epcot has Illumnations and MK has Wishes. These fireworks could not possibly be cheap to show every night. Disney must keep up with inflation on the costs of running the park and pass it along to guests. I feel that for a 10 day pass it is still very good value for my money. Where else can I have constant entertainment for 10 days, that is family friendly and in a safe environment for this money? No where! I feel safe at Disney and it is a family friendly vacation. I am willing to pay for that. If Disney did some cut backs, like taking away the fireworks every night, people would be screaming. If you want it, you have to pay for it. I didn't scream at my local grocery when bread has recently gone up from 1.29/loaf to 1.49/loaf. I want bread, I pay the price. If Disney isn't making money, they will stop adding new attractions (Like Everest), and people will scream because nothing new is added.
- Marketplace menus for Epot International Food & Wine Festival - List of menu items for the marketplaces set up around World Showcase.
- Rehab planned in November for Magic Carpets of Aladdin - The Magic Kingdom attraction will be closed 11/10 - 11/21/2014.
- Food & Wine Festival Special Dining Experiences released - Bookings for these experiences begin July 31.
- 10 Places to Wait Out a Thunderstorm at Walt Disney World
- Disney Castaway Cay Challenge added to Princess Half Marathon Weekend - Runners who are registered for any of the Disney races (5K or longer) during the Weekend have the option to complete the Disney Castaway Cay Challenge when sailing on the Disney Dream February 23-27.
- Fantasia Miniature Golf Course rehab planned off and on for the next two weeks - Gardens Course closed 7/22-7/25/2014, 7/28-8/1/2014, 8/4-8/8/2014. The Fairways will still be open.
- Blog - I Can Go The Distance: Deciding is one thing, registering is another
- Save up to 30% on a Room Only reservation at Walt Disney World! - Valid for stays most nights 10/4/14 - 11/25/14 and 11/29/14 - 12/23/14.
- 2015 WDW hotel discount released for U.S. Military - Valid for stays most nights 9/28/14 - 10/3/15.
- All 3 remaining weekends sold out for Harambe Nights - July 26, August 2 and August 9 are sold out.
- Annual passholder discount for Spice Road Table - Through 9/17/14, Annual Passholders can get a 30% discount on their bill.
- 2015 Military Ticket Discount info released - Members of the military can purchase 4-day Magic Your Way tickets with Park Hopper option for $177 each.
- Changes to reservation times for Wishes Dessert Party - Reservations are all being set for 6:00pm, no matter when Wishes is taking place. The dessert party will actually take place one hour before Wishes.
- Frozen Summer Fun Premium package is sold out for all remaining dates - This package gives guests at Frozen Summer Fun Live reserved viewing for several events.
- Wild by Design tour to be discontinued after 9/26/14 - This tour takes place at Disney's Animal Kingdom.
- Fantasy Football Convention coming to ESPN Wide World of Sports - The convention will give attendees access to ESPN talent, a live fantasy football draft and more.
- Blog - Sneak Preview of What's Coming to the 2014 Epcot International Food & Wine Festival
- Dates and pricing released for ICE! at Gaylord Palms - Using two million pounds of ice, this Gaylord Palms Resort special ticket exhibit will be transformed into the North Pole.
- Blog - Disney's Magical Express Age Limit Changes: A Parent's & Teacher's Perspective
- Blog - Five Reasons Why We're Not Seeing "Planes: Fire & Rescue" in Theaters
- Blog updated - I Just Spent $20 on FastPasses! Would You? - The author has taken the tour she discussed in the blog - check out her thoughts to see if she would do this again!
- Blog - July 2014 Magic Kingdom Construction Update
- Information for Food & Wine Festival special dining experiences - book 7/31 - Premium events will be announced July 24 and can be booked on July 31 beginning at 7:00am EST. To book, call 407-WDW-FEST (939-3378).
- Princess Half Marathon fills in less than 24 hours - The Princess Half Marathon, the Princess Enchanted 10K and the Glass Slipper Challenge are sold out, filling less than 24 hours after registration opened.
- Dolphins at Epcot will be offstage through August 7 - Guests will not be able to see the dolphins at The Seas with Nemo & Friends. The Dolphins in Depth Tour will be unavailable during this time as well.
- Changes in parking due to Downtown Disney Remodel - Speeds in the area will be reduced, as well as lanes closed. Buena Vista Drive will be expanded to 10 lanes.
- Blog - Disney Responds to Disability Access Service Lawsuit
- Man arrested at Typhoon Lagoon for molesting 4 teenage girls
- Standby line to be cut off in Anna and Elsa meet and greet
- Disney's second quarter injury report: 12-year-old boy cuts fingers on Pirates ride
- 30 years in prison for man who molested girl at SeaWorld
- Possible agreement reached between Disney and unions
- Disney's CEO Bob Iger honored as CEO of the Year by Chief Executive magazine
- Trattoria al Forno to replace Cat Cora's Kouzzina at Disney World
- Technical glitch causes Universal's Transformers ride to stall
- Report: Monorail evacuated after lightning strike
- Military resource support group launches for Disney cast members
Today's Theme Park Hours
Epcot Future World:
Epcot World Showcase:
|9:00 - 12:00
9:00 - 9:00
11:00 - 9:00
9:00 - 10:00
9:00 - 8:00
9:00 - 8:00
9:00 - 8:00
Extra Magic Hours Morning: Magic Kingdom