How do you share the Disney Magic?
Our sound off topic for this week asks “how do you keep the Disney Magic alive in your everyday life and when dealing with those folks that didn’t get the Disney gene?” Tell us what you do to spread pixie dust when away from Walt Disney World or Disneyland?
Here are the $25 Mandara Spa gift certificate winners
from this week's Sound Off. Congratulations!
I like to spread the Disney magic at my workplace. (I don't need to do it at home- everyone pretty much is a Disney fanatic like me!)
I manage a local animal shelter, which can be an emotionally difficult job to do. I have added a touch of magic by including Micky ear staplers, tape dispensers, and pen holders. There are pictures of Cinderella's castle and little Mickey Mouse icons on our computer desktops at work. My staff even got into the Disney spirit and threw me a surprise birthday party, all themed around Disney.
I am leaving for my next Disney vacation at the end of September. My staff thought it would be neat if we named all of the homeless pets that come in during the month of September after Disney characters, in honor of my upcoming vacation!
I truly believe that ever since I introduced my staff to the simple joys of Disney, their spirits have risen and it seems to act as a stress-reliever for the staff. That's just fine with me, as I am a truly a Disney fanatic!
I teach 7th grade English so I need a fair amount of pixie dust each day to energize me and keep the Disney Magic with me on long days when Cindy's castle really does feel like it's a milllion dreams away. So I adopted Tinkerbell as my mascot about 10 years ago. I shared this with my students when I started teaching and now my desk area and wall behind it have become a Tinkerbell shrine! I have everything from figurines to stickers to hand-drawn pictures of the little fairy from past students. My screen saver rotates between Tinkerbell and the castle, becoming an object of pleasant conversation whenever a student stops by. Our class motto is, "All it takes is faith, trust, and a little pixie dust," which combines all the logic we teachers promote in terms of their overall success, with a little Disney Magic! The students know me for my playfulness and whimsy, and even the boys warm up to power of the pixie when I get out my Tinkerbell wand to wave some much needed pixie dust over them on test days. All of this allows me to keep the magic alive in my everyday hectic life of middle school teaching. And what kid wouldn't connect with a teacher who just hasn't completely "grown up"?
I'm a nurse in a critical care CCU and I find that many of my patients have been to Disney and enjoy reminiscing about their journeys to the world.
I had a patient about a month ago that as soon as he saw my Minnie Nurse pin, started talking nonstop about his trip in June with his 20 year old granddaughter...it made him so happy that he forgot about his declining health and had a smile that could have lit up the castle. This 66 year old with a bad heart, bad kidneys, and a poor outlook had just been there in June and rode everything with his granddaughter from Splash Mountain to Expedition Everest and became a kid again while he was telling me about all of his ride, dining, and character adventures.
You see, Disney really is good medicine!
Christina Barnes (aka "Bzzelady")
- List of characters updated for Villains Unleashed! event - Over 50 Disney villains will be taking over the park until the 13th hour!
- Beginning today, PhotoPass print packages are no longer offered table-side at character meals - This includes Chef Mickey's, 1900 Park Fare, 'Ohana, Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue, Disney's Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show and Tusker House Restaurant.
- Disney Visa cardholders can book Food & Wine Festival events early - Disney Visa cardholders can book special events two days earlier than the general public - on July 29 and July 30 from 7:00am-11:00pm EST.
- Tables in Wonderland adds blackout dates for several restaurants - The Tables in Wonderland program offers Florida Residents, DVC members and Annual Passholders 20% off of all food and beverage purchases at the participating Disney restaurants.
- Information on Holiday sleigh rides at Fort Wilderness - This horse-drawn "sleigh" ride is a fun way to celebrate the season.
- Marketplace menus for Epot International Food & Wine Festival - List of menu items for the marketplaces set up around World Showcase.
- Rehab planned in November for Magic Carpets of Aladdin - The Magic Kingdom attraction will be closed 11/10 - 11/21/2014.
- Food & Wine Festival Special Dining Experiences released - Bookings for these experiences begin July 31.
- 10 Places to Wait Out a Thunderstorm at Walt Disney World
- Disney Castaway Cay Challenge added to Princess Half Marathon Weekend - Runners who are registered for any of the Disney races (5K or longer) during the Weekend have the option to complete the Disney Castaway Cay Challenge when sailing on the Disney Dream February 23-27.
- Fantasia Miniature Golf Course rehab planned off and on for the next two weeks - Gardens Course closed 7/22-7/25/2014, 7/28-8/1/2014, 8/4-8/8/2014. The Fairways will still be open.
- Blog - I Can Go The Distance: Deciding is one thing, registering is another
- Save up to 30% on a Room Only reservation at Walt Disney World! - Valid for stays most nights 10/4/14 - 11/25/14 and 11/29/14 - 12/23/14.
- 2015 WDW hotel discount released for U.S. Military - Valid for stays most nights 9/28/14 - 10/3/15.
- All 3 remaining weekends sold out for Harambe Nights - July 26, August 2 and August 9 are sold out.
- Annual passholder discount for Spice Road Table - Through 9/17/14, Annual Passholders can get a 30% discount on their bill.
- 2015 Military Ticket Discount info released - Members of the military can purchase 4-day Magic Your Way tickets with Park Hopper option for $177 each.
- Changes to reservation times for Wishes Dessert Party - Reservations are all being set for 6:00pm, no matter when Wishes is taking place. The dessert party will actually take place one hour before Wishes.
- Frozen Summer Fun Premium package is sold out for all remaining dates - This package gives guests at Frozen Summer Fun Live reserved viewing for several events.
- Wild by Design tour to be discontinued after 9/26/14 - This tour takes place at Disney's Animal Kingdom.
- Fantasy Football Convention coming to ESPN Wide World of Sports - The convention will give attendees access to ESPN talent, a live fantasy football draft and more.
- Blog - Sneak Preview of What's Coming to the 2014 Epcot International Food & Wine Festival
- Dates and pricing released for ICE! at Gaylord Palms - Using two million pounds of ice, this Gaylord Palms Resort special ticket exhibit will be transformed into the North Pole.
- Blog - Disney's Magical Express Age Limit Changes: A Parent's & Teacher's Perspective
- Blog - Five Reasons Why We're Not Seeing "Planes: Fire & Rescue" in Theaters
- Blog updated - I Just Spent $20 on FastPasses! Would You? - The author has taken the tour she discussed in the blog - check out her thoughts to see if she would do this again!
- Blog - July 2014 Magic Kingdom Construction Update
- Information for Food & Wine Festival special dining experiences - book 7/31 - Premium events will be announced July 24 and can be booked on July 31 beginning at 7:00am EST. To book, call 407-WDW-FEST (939-3378).
- Princess Half Marathon fills in less than 24 hours - The Princess Half Marathon, the Princess Enchanted 10K and the Glass Slipper Challenge are sold out, filling less than 24 hours after registration opened.
- Dolphins at Epcot will be offstage through August 7 - Guests will not be able to see the dolphins at The Seas with Nemo & Friends. The Dolphins in Depth Tour will be unavailable during this time as well.
- Changes in parking due to Downtown Disney Remodel - Speeds in the area will be reduced, as well as lanes closed. Buena Vista Drive will be expanded to 10 lanes.
- Blog - Disney Responds to Disability Access Service Lawsuit
- "Clyde and Seamore Take Pirate Island" show cancelled at SeaWorld
- PBS plans Walt Disney biopic
- Release date set for 5th Pirates of the Caribbean film
- Man arrested at Typhoon Lagoon for molesting 4 teenage girls
- Standby line to be cut off in Anna and Elsa meet and greet
- Disney's second quarter injury report: 12-year-old boy cuts fingers on Pirates ride
- 30 years in prison for man who molested girl at SeaWorld
- Possible agreement reached between Disney and unions
- Disney's CEO Bob Iger honored as CEO of the Year by Chief Executive magazine
- Trattoria al Forno to replace Cat Cora's Kouzzina at Disney World
Today's Theme Park Hours
Epcot Future World:
Epcot World Showcase:
|9:00 - 11:00
9:00 - 9:00
11:00 - 9:00
9:00 - 10:00
9:00 - 7:00
9:00 - 8:00
9:00 - 8:00
Extra Magic Hour Evening: Hollywood Studios