How do you share the Disney Magic?
Our sound off topic for this week asks “how do you keep the Disney Magic alive in your everyday life and when dealing with those folks that didn’t get the Disney gene?” Tell us what you do to spread pixie dust when away from Walt Disney World or Disneyland?
Here are the $25 Mandara Spa gift certificate winners
from this week's Sound Off. Congratulations!
I like to spread the Disney magic at my workplace. (I don't need to do it at home- everyone pretty much is a Disney fanatic like me!)
I manage a local animal shelter, which can be an emotionally difficult job to do. I have added a touch of magic by including Micky ear staplers, tape dispensers, and pen holders. There are pictures of Cinderella's castle and little Mickey Mouse icons on our computer desktops at work. My staff even got into the Disney spirit and threw me a surprise birthday party, all themed around Disney.
I am leaving for my next Disney vacation at the end of September. My staff thought it would be neat if we named all of the homeless pets that come in during the month of September after Disney characters, in honor of my upcoming vacation!
I truly believe that ever since I introduced my staff to the simple joys of Disney, their spirits have risen and it seems to act as a stress-reliever for the staff. That's just fine with me, as I am a truly a Disney fanatic!
I teach 7th grade English so I need a fair amount of pixie dust each day to energize me and keep the Disney Magic with me on long days when Cindy's castle really does feel like it's a milllion dreams away. So I adopted Tinkerbell as my mascot about 10 years ago. I shared this with my students when I started teaching and now my desk area and wall behind it have become a Tinkerbell shrine! I have everything from figurines to stickers to hand-drawn pictures of the little fairy from past students. My screen saver rotates between Tinkerbell and the castle, becoming an object of pleasant conversation whenever a student stops by. Our class motto is, "All it takes is faith, trust, and a little pixie dust," which combines all the logic we teachers promote in terms of their overall success, with a little Disney Magic! The students know me for my playfulness and whimsy, and even the boys warm up to power of the pixie when I get out my Tinkerbell wand to wave some much needed pixie dust over them on test days. All of this allows me to keep the magic alive in my everyday hectic life of middle school teaching. And what kid wouldn't connect with a teacher who just hasn't completely "grown up"?
I'm a nurse in a critical care CCU and I find that many of my patients have been to Disney and enjoy reminiscing about their journeys to the world.
I had a patient about a month ago that as soon as he saw my Minnie Nurse pin, started talking nonstop about his trip in June with his 20 year old granddaughter...it made him so happy that he forgot about his declining health and had a smile that could have lit up the castle. This 66 year old with a bad heart, bad kidneys, and a poor outlook had just been there in June and rode everything with his granddaughter from Splash Mountain to Expedition Everest and became a kid again while he was telling me about all of his ride, dining, and character adventures.
You see, Disney really is good medicine!
Christina Barnes (aka "Bzzelady")
- Blog - A Shopping Oasis: Merchandise at Disney's Flower & Garden Festival
- Pollo Campero at Downtown Disney will be closing 3/19/14 - Pollo Campero, Bodie's All-American Grill and Babycakes NYC will be closing 3/19/14. Babycakes NYC will still be providing gluten-free items to select Walt Disney World food courts and restaurants.
- Blog - 2014 Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival opens in Epcot
- Registration for the Wine & Dine Half Marathon opens today - This race is held in conjunction with the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival.
- Blog - Haunted Mansion Merchandise Materializes in Disney Parks
- New dates for D23's Destination D - The event will be held November 22-23, 2014.
- 2015 Walt Disney World Marathon dates - Registration for the 2015 marathon begins 4/22/14.
- Blog - A Brit's Perspective - Changing of the Seasons at the Orlando theme parks
- Rebel Rendezvous merchandise event planned for Star Wars Weekends - Attendees will receive exclusive access to Darth's Mall a day before it opens to the public.
- Blog - A February Stroll through the Magic Kingdom
- Walt Disney World restaurants add Braille menus - Beginning March 1, select restaurants will be adding Braille menus, though a list of participating restaurants is not yet available. The Braille menus will have examples of the menu items but may not list all the short term or temporary items.
- Family Ticket offer - get one free day! - Get one FREE additional day on each ticket when you buy 6 or more 4-day or longer Magic Your Way tickets!
- Blog - Disney's Polynesian Resort is Changing in a Big Way
- Just announced! Festival of Fantasy parade will debut March 9! - This parade will run daily in the afternoons at the Magic Kingdom.
- Celebrate Earth Day at Disney's Animal Kingdom - The park is also celebrating the release of Disneynature's newest film Bears, which hits theaters April 18.
- Car Masters Weekend to be held at Downtown Disney - This event takes place June 14-15.
- Walt Disney World ticket prices increase - Ticket prices have gone up effective today, Sunday, February 23.
- Mighty St. Patrick's Day Festival planned for Downtown Disney - Downtown Disney celebrates St. Patrick's Day with live music, a step-by-step Irish jig workshop, classic Irish food and drink, Irish storytellers, Irish history and merchandise at Raglan Road's Shop.
- Star Wars Weekends - extra weekend added, plus Hyperspace Hoopla cancelled - A nightly fireworks show has been added instead of the Hyperspace Hoopla party.
- Blackfish director denies receiving confidential information
- Hank Wiliams Jr. and Alabama to perform at SeaWorld
- Universal Orlando parking garage closed for suspicious vehicle
- SeaWorld calls for investigation of OSHA inspector
- Preview of food items for Wizarding World of Harry Potter expansion
- Disney announces theme parks will stay open for 24-hour party
- Magic Kingdom Hub Expansion Announced
- Disney Cruise Line takes top honors from Cruise Critic members
- Scotty McCreery and Steve Miller Band to perform at SeaWorld Orlando
- Universal Orlando follows Disney's lead and raises ticket prices
Today's Theme Park Hours
Epcot Future World:
Epcot World Showcase:
|9:00 - 1:00
9:00 - 9:00
11:00 - 9:00
9:00 - 7:00
9:00 - 8:00
10:00 - 5:00
Extra Magic Hour Evening: Epcot FW