Staying Safe While on a Disney Vacation
by Susan Carver
Law Enforcement Officer
Everyone loves to go on vacation but sometimes when we get to our destination, we forget the small things. Most of these tips are common sense but some of these are regional problems to Central Florida.
The DIS Unplugged is a weekly trip planning podcast with unbiased advice on getting the most from your next Disney vacation. Each week our team of Disney experts tells you what's new, what's good, and what's not-so-good in the world of Disney. New shows are released every Wednesday and can be found at disunplugged.com!
Staying Safe at Walt Disney World— September 5th, 2012
In this episode local law enforcement officer Susan Carver has tips and hints on how to stay safe at Walt Disney World.
Disney, Universal, and Sea World have all been here for a while; they are not going to pack up shop and leave before you get there. Slow down - obey the speed limit, wear your seat belt (it is the law in Florida), turn your headlights on when it's raining, do not text or tweet and drive and keep your doors locked while traveling. Get your family there safely. You traveled all this way so make sure during the last few minutes of your journey you do not get caught up in unsafe behaviors while driving that put you or others in danger. If you get caught speeding you will most likely get a speeding ticket, especially on Disney property. The fines for speeding start well over $100 and move upward for every 10 miles over the speed limit - this is not a way to start your vacation and this is not something you want to have to spend vacation money on.
Do not buy tickets from Internet sites such as Ebay or Craigslist. The same goes for all those little ticket stands you see lining the highways, or anyone claiming you can get "such a great deal!" Most of these tickets have already had one or more days used on them, making them illegal tickets per Florida State Statute 817.361. Buy your tickets from the park or from your tour operator or travel club.
Once you get to the parking lot at the theme parks - turn off the car. Seems silly but it happens. Visitors sometimes get so excited they forget to turn off the car. They see the parking lot tram coming and jump out of the car to catch it - the trams run ALL DAY. Another will be along in a few minutes.
Take time to turn off your car, gather your stuff, make a note of where you parked your vehicle and secure your vehicle. Do not bring valuables with you to the park and then leave them in the car. If you can avoid it, do not bring them at all. Leave valuables in your hotel room safe, take them into the park with you, or as a last resort, hide them in your car but do the hiding before you get to the theme park parking lot you are visiting. When you leave your car no matter where you are or how long you are gone, do not leave cameras, GPS units, purses, bags, computers, iPads, iPods, wallets, keys, etc, in sight. This makes you an easy target.
If you are going to a water park, do not think that it is safe to leave your car unlocked and hide the keys so you do not have to carry them around all day. Get a locker or carry them with you. While inside the parks, do not leave personal things hanging on your strollers while you are enjoying an attraction.
It may surprise you but criminals come to Florida on vacation as well, so do not be an easy target for them. If the crooks see you putting your MacBook Pro in the trunk before you jump on the tram, they may find that so irresistible they might take an afternoon stroll to the parking lot to take that from your car. Cute souvenir items left on a stroller can also be irresistible to criminals who could be watching you as you enter an attraction then take your stuff while you are inside.
Review the floor plan when you get to your room. A few minutes to figure out the quickest way to leave the building can be invaluable in an emergency. Always use the dead bolt when you are in your room. Do not throw the security latch outside your door while you run to get ice. Use your in-room safe to store your valuables.
Be especially wary of unsolicited business flyers left in or under your door. Disney and most other hotels and resorts have NO SOLICITING policies so these flyers were left in your room by trespassers. Always check with the hotel about the validity of any flyer left in your room, especially if they require a credit card number.
While at the pool, do not leave valuables unattended.
Most people shop while they are here visiting. Central Florida has some wonderful shopping malls and outlet shopping centers. Some visitors buy big-ticket items such as Apple products, computers, etc. When you go shopping, do not take your purchases to the car and secure them then go back into the mall or shopping center to continue shopping. Keep your stuff with you until you have made your last stop and you are going back to your hotel room. If you just bought a iPad, a laptop, an Xbox 360, a GPS, a TV or anything else and you take it to your car, lock it up and go back into the mall or the shopping center, you are setting yourself up to be a crime victim. Criminals watch the stores that sell the merchandise they want to steal. They watch you make the purchases and go lock it up in the car. They know you do not want to lug it around with you so they know your next stop is the car. You might be thinking that you will be smarter than the crooks and move your car to another parking place in the parking lot - that is not enough to thwart these thieves. They will watch you and as soon as you leave your car unattended, they hit the car and are gone with your stuff.
Another issue is when you really do leave the store after you just bought that new top-of-the-line laptop at Best Buy or the Apple Store. You secure your items in the trunk of your car then you bee-bop over to a mall, for example, the Mall of Millennia or the Florida Mall - both very close to Best Buy stores. You feel pretty confident your stuff will be there when you come back. Most likely yes it will be, however, Central Florida has had a number of victims whose cars were broken into after buying big ticket items and heading to another store; they were obviously followed. This is not a rampant problem but it has happened multiple times so do not let it happen to you. Keep someone in the car with the stuff or go back to your hotel room to unload the items before continuing your shopping.
If you see anything suspicious, do not hesitate to call 911. I cannot tell you how many times I hear "I'm sorry to bother you," when I respond to a suspicious person call that a citizen or tourist calls in on the 911 line. We do not mind you calling. That is our job. I would much rather you call in to 911 and us get out there to investigate and/or scare away a potential criminal than to take a report because someone has been victimized. So, call 911. We like to catch criminals.
So what should you do if you become a victim? Call 911 to report the crime. Do not wait until you go home. Crimes must be reported in the jurisdiction in which they occur. While you are waiting for an officer to come out to take a report, gather information he or she will need, serial numbers if you have them and your insurance information. If any of your credit cards or checking account information was stolen, call your bank and cancel those accounts immediately. If your checkbook was stolen, call your bank and advise them what happened so they can close your account. A good idea before you leave home is to make copies of your drivers license or passport and write down the account numbers and telephone numbers of your credit cards and keep that information separate from your wallet or purse. In case you do become a victim you can easily cancel your accounts and you will have temporary identification to show airport officials or your consulate that can help you obtain a new passport.
In the tourist areas of Central Florida, crime is overall very low. It is a safe and fun place to be at all hours of the day and night. However, you must do your part to remain vigilant and follow these simple suggestions to keep you and your family from becoming a victim and having your dream vacation ruined.
- Walking in Waltís Footsteps: Marceline Edition Part 1 - It is often said that Walt drew upon his time in Marceline for the inspiration for Disneylandís Main Street, U.S.A. We visited Marceline late on a Saturday afternoon.
- Updated menu for Gardens Kiosk at Animal Kingdom - A new menu is available now that Flame Tree Barbecue Restaurant has reopened.
- Flame Tree Barbecue Restaurant reopens with a few menu changes - A Jamaican Jerk Salad and a Watermelon Salad have been added to the menu. Jalepeno cornbread replaces coleslaw as a side.
- Disney Visa cardholders can save 35% at Disney's Polynesian Villas & Bungalows - Disney Visa cardholders can save 35% on Deluxe Studio-Standard View rooms when staying most nights 7/5/15-10/3/15.
- When you are shaped more like Buzz or Woody than Snow White - For people like myself, of size, visiting a theme park comes with some concerns.
- Confirmed: The Magic of Disney Animation will close July 12 - A Disney spokeswoman said, "Work is underway on a new experience, and we look forward to sharing more information in the future."
- Walt Disney World merchandise events for July 2015 - List of artist appearances and signings around the Walt Disney World Resort.
- D-Zone relaxation area to be added to Innoventions West - Guests will be able to find food carts, seating and charging stations here.
- Captain EO to return to Epcot July 19 - It has been on hiatus for a few months for sneak previews of Tomorrowland and Inside Out.
- Animal Kingdom Updates - Two new shops have opened since my last update and I highly recommend you check them out.
- Flame Tree BBQ restaurant rehab extended through June 29 - The restaurant should reopen July 1.
- 2016 Disney Dining Plan pricing - Price list for the Quick-Service, Regular and Deluxe Dining Plans.
- Classic Shows Breathe New Life Thanks to FastPass+ - OK, Iím a nostalgic kind of person. For me, what keeps me coming back are the classic attractions and shows.
- List of 2016 Disney Dining Plan participating restaurants - More restaurants are generally added toward the end of the year as contracts with non-Disney owned and operated restaurants are finalized.
- What Souvenirs Are Worth The Money At A Disney Park? - In my opinion souvenirs are crucial in bringing the Disney memories home with you, but how many of them end up in the back of your closet?
- Walking in Walt's Footsteps: Kansas City Edition - We decided to visit a couple of landmarks important to the history of the Walt Disney Company and Walt Disney himself.
- Animal Kingdom to test opening the Oasis area 30 minutes early - This will only take place on mornings that do not have Extra Magic Hours.
- Hot Cheese Sauce removed from Disney World counter service restaurants - It may be available behind the counter if guests request it, but there's no indication if this is a permanent possibility or if that supply will go away too.
- Registration details for Tables in Wonderland's Epcot International Food & Wine Festival Sneak Preview - The event will be held Sunday, July 12, 2015 from 12:00-2:00pm.
- Walt Disney World plans 4th of July festivities - There are special fireworks planned for Magic Kingdom, Epcot and Hollywood Studios.
- Living with the Land will be closed for a week in September - The Epcot ride will be closed for refurbishment 9/8/2015 - 9/17/2015.
- Annual passholder and DVC discounts added to World Showcase DestiNations Discovered tour - Annual passholders will receive a 10% discount and DVC members will receive a 15% discount.
- Candlelight Processional dates and dining package prices - This year's event will be held November 27 - December 30, 2015. Narrators will be announced at a later date.
- Splash Mountain added to evening Extra Magic Hours
- Coronado Springs fitness center and Casitas pool to be closed for 3 months - Fitness Center and Casitas Leisure Pool closed 7/5/2015 - 10/12/2015. The main pool and other leisure pools will be open during this time. There will be a temporary fitness center in the Casitas area.
- 2016 Walt Disney World packages released - Information for 2016 packages has been released and these are now available for booking.
- Great Movie Ride offers new photo op - Guests can take part in a new photo op outside the Chinese Theater, allowing them to walk the red carpet and put their hands in "cement" just like the stars.
- Disney resort pools hosting Disney Jr. Pool Parties - Music and activities will be themed around Sofia the First, Doc McStuffins, Jake and the Neverland Pirates, Miles from Tomorrowland and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. Pool staff will lead young guests in games like "Sofia Says", sing-a-longs and dance parties.
- Be Prepared! EPCOTís Plan for the Massive Influx of Children Will Be... Nothing? - My EPCOT Center has been gone for awhile...and although Iíve slowly been dealing with what I see as a neglected, bare-boned version (now with even less attractions), new problems are popping up from a lack of vision for this parkís future.
- Animal Kingdom Starbucks donates portion of sales for animal conservation - For every Starbucks Flat White Latte sold, a portion of the sale price will benefit conservation programs to save the cotton-top tamarin in Colombia. The drink's look represents the cotton-top tamarin's white fur on top of their heads.
- Watch faces soon available for MagicBands - This summer, two watch faces will be introducted for MagicBands - a Minnie analog face and a black digital face.
- Discounted two round golf pass available - Play two rounds of golf, any day, any time, any course for a discounted rate.
- Starbucks opens at Disney's Animal Kingdom - This is located in the old Creature Comforts location.
- A Tale of Two Disney Birthdays - Is it alright to wear a birthday button if it is not actually your birthday?
- 2016 Aulani vacation packages now available for booking - Packages are available for booking for dates 1/1/16 and beyond, but cannot be booked more than 499 days in advance.
- Experiencing the Disney theme parks while pregnant - Being pregnant at Disney can make it a different vacation, but still very fun.
- Zuri's Sweets Shop opens at Disney's Animal Kingdom - The treats will all be inspired by Africa and many will be unique to this location.
- Frozen Summer Fun LIVE! begins today at Hollywood Studios - The world of Frozen is taking over Hollywood Studios this summer! Spend the day enjoying the interactive experiences!
- Walt Disney World package offers available for families - A "Kid-sized package" and a "Magic Together" package are both available. Valid for stays select nights 8/15/15 - 10/3/15.
- Summer room only offer for Walt Disney World Annual Passholders - Valid for stays most nights 6/16/15 - 8/27/15.
- Tips for planning your 2016 Walt Disney World vacation - Walt Disney World will be releasing the pricing and availability for 2016 rooms and packages on June 22, 2015.
- Rustlin' up some grub at Disney's Trail's End Restaurant - Recently we tried Trail's End Restaurant at Disney's Fort Wilderness campground, and were not disappointed.
- Summer room offer for Florida residents - Valid for stays most nights 6/6/15 - 8/13/15.
- Review: Jedi Mickey's Star Wars Dine at Star Wars Weekends - This dinner is held at Hollywood and Vine Restaurant and is a dinner buffet featuring Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Donald, Chip and Dale all dressed as Star Wars characters.
- Zuri's Sweets Shop coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom - This will be located in Harambe Market and will feature 80 new items such as decorative candy apples, flavored chocolate bars and popcorn.
- Walt Disney World adds more allergy-friendly menus - Allergy-friendly menus will be available at Magic Kingdom, the Deluxe hotels and Trail's End Restaurant later this month.
- A World of Lights: Aulani Edition - A showcase of uniquely themed light features at Aulani.
- 2016 Walt Disney World packages open for booking June 22! - Request a quote today to be added to our waitlist!
- Tony's Town Square Restaurant doing away with separate lunch and dinner times - Beginning July 3, the restaurant will be open straight through from 11:00am - 9:30pm.
- Taking a Disney Babymoon: 10 Ways to Make it Extra Special - Here are 10 tips I can offer to make your Disney babymoon a memorable experience.
- Tips for saving money on a Disney vacation - Disney fans are always on the lookout for deals and ways to save money in order to make another trip back to the magic.
- Norway Pavilion's Frozen attraction rumored to be opening May 1, 2016 - This attraction will be replacing the Maelstrom.
- Pizzafari will no longer serve breakfast - Breakfast at this Animal Kingdom restaurant will end June 17, as the park's new Starbucks will serve breakfast beginning June 18.
- Pirates of the Caribbean rehab begins - The Magic Kingdom attraction will be closed from June 8-September 25.
- Starbucks to open at Animal Kingdom June 18 - This will open on Discovery Island in the former Creature Comforts location.
- "Frozen Fever" short to be shown at Disney's Hollywood Studios - The new animated short, Frozen Fever, will be shown in the ABC Sound Studio from June 17-September 7.
- PhotoPass to be available at Disney water parks - PhotoPass photographers will be stationed at the water parks through Labor Day.
- Kids golf free in the afternoons at Aulani - Kids under 17 can golf free after 3:00pm at the Ko Olina Golf Club when accompanied by a paying adult.
- Blog - Disney Parks Take Top Six Spots In America Last Year
- Tables in Wonderland hosts Jiko Wine Dinner - This event will be held at Animal Kingdom Lodge on Thursday, June 11.
- Bus Roulette at Walt Disney World - The rules are simple, you jump on the first bus that comes.
- Mickey's Backyard BBQ now open 4 days per week - New food items have been added to the menu as well.
- 5 Surprisingly Romantic Spots in a Disney Park - There are actually many overlooked areas in the parks that are surprisingly romantic.
- New details for the 2015 Epcot International Food and Wine Festival - New premium events and a kids' scavenger hunt have been added for this year.
- June merchandise events for Walt Disney World - List of merchandise events and artist appearances/signings around the Walt Disney World Resort.
- Disney Dining Guide: San Angel Inn Restaurante - A look at one of the first options you come to when entering the World Showcase from the Mexican side.
- VIDEO: NEW Brunch at Chef Mickey's Overview - The menu expands from the regular breakfast offerings and includes: soup, salads (caesar, seafood, broccoli, antipasto, chicken and caprese), hot dishes (BBQ ribs, seafood etouffee, baked salmon). Mickey waffles, ice cream and bakery treats are also on the menu.
- Thinking About the Relative Cost of Disney... - How does the price of a day at Disney compare to the price of other forms of recreation?
- TCM updates have been added to The Great Movie Ride - After months of anticipation, the TCM changes to The Great Movie Ride are now in place and bring new life to one of the most dated attractions at Walt Disney World.
- Changes to Disney's Rapid Fill Mugs in Walt Disney World - Do you purchase a rapid fill mug for your resort stay or do you purchase single-serving cups or bottles?
- 5 Life Lessons I Learned From Visiting Walt Disney World
- Tusker House: Character Dining At Disney's Animal Kingdom
- Eat to the Beat Concert Series schedule released - The 2015 schedule for Epcot's Eat to the Beat Concert Series has been released and includes new artists Tiffany, Everclear and Chaka Khan.
- Can you take the heat? Going to Disney World in the summer - Itís no surprise that Florida is hot and humid. But, what do you do when you really want to go to Disney World and the only available time is the summer?
- Tables in Wonderland presents Epcot International Food & Wine Festival Sneak Preview - Sample foods and beverages from this year's Festival.
- Best Places To Take Mid-Day Breaks Within Disney's Hollywood Studios - Try taking a break from the action within the parks without hiking all the way back to the resort.
- 7in7+ Disneyland Edition - Residence Inn Maingate
- New stage show for Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party - Disney has a announced a new "Hocus Pocus" themed villains show for this year's Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party.
- Star Wars, Star What ?!? - Why a non Star Wars fan should attend Star Wars weekends
- 7in7+ Disneyland Edition - Knott's Berry Farm
- 7in7+ Disneyland Edition - Sheraton Park
- New Epcot tour- World Showcase DestiNations Discovered - This 5-hour walking tour will take guests backstage at the World Showcase.
- 7in7+ Disneyland Edition - California Adventure
- 7in7+ Disneyland Edition - Grand Californian
- Blog - I Can Go the Distance...Now That I've Processed My Race Deferral
- Harambe Market opens at Disney's Animal Kingdom - This new quick-service location is located behind the Mombasa Marketplace.
- 7in7+ Disneyland Edition - Hilton Anaheim
- Hoypoloi closing at Downtown Disney 5/25/15 - It will be replaced by United World Soccer in July.
- 7in7+ Disneyland Edition - Howard Johnson Anaheim
- 7in7+ Disneyland Edition - Downtown Anaheim
- 7in7+ Disneyland Edition - Disneyland Hotel
- 7in7+ Disneyland Edition - Disneyland Park
- 'Paint the Night' Full Nighttime Electrical Parade - 'Paint the Night' is the brand new nighttime electrical parade at Disneyland for the 60th Anniversary Celebration. 'Paint the Night' originated in Hong Kong Disneyland and proved popular enough to replicate for Disneyland Park, with just a few improvements like the Main Street Electrical Parade drum float leading off the parade and a brand new Frozen float with Anna, Elsa and Olaf!
- VIDEO: 'World of Color - Celebrate' Full Show with Outros - World of Color - Celebrate tells the story and legacy of Walt Disney as narrated by Neil Patrick Harris and the one and only Mickey Mouse. The story starts with Walt creating Mickey Mouse and showing his evolution before moving into Walt's progression into feature length animation. The story wraps with Disneyland and remembering that it was all started by a mouse.
- VIDEO: The Force Awakens and Star Tours in 'World of Color - Celebrate' - In the brand new World of Color - Celebrate, Star Wars - The Force Awakens and Star Tours make an appearance in the show highlighting the great things to come from Walt Disney's life as hosted by Neil Patrick Harris and Mickey Mouse.
- Life Through the Disney Lens
- New additions announced for Disney Springs - There are several retail stores and dining venues on the list.
- Blog - Review: "Tomorrowland" perfectly channels Walt Disney's philosophy and spirit
- Blog - Top 5 ways to be a good guest at Walt Disney World - Do's and Don'ts
- Blog - Star Wars Weekend Merchandise Hits the Shelves
- SeaWorld lays off Clyde & Seamore mimes, among others
- Man sentenced to 5 years for Disney ticket scam
- Club 33 members upset about more changes to benefits
- Iger says future Star Wars attractions to be based on new films
- SeaWorld's CEO steps down
- Man sues SeaWorld for automatically renewing his annual pass
- Retirement date set for Disney's Meg Crofton
- Woman sues Disney, claiming disability after falling from carousel horse
- Hotel leadership changes at Walt Disney World
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens trailer released