Rainy Days at Disney World
You've spent months planning, your itinerary is set, you arrive at Disney World and the deluge begins.
While weather is unpredictable, there are certain times of year, particularly the summer months, when a quick afternoon thunderstorm is the norm.
If you do encounter wet weather, it doesn't mean that you have to spend the day confined to your hotel room listening to "I'm bored..." Most of Disney World can be enjoyed no matter if the sun is shining or if you're starting to wonder if Noah is going to show up with the Ark.
Before heading to "the World", get yourself to a dollar store and stock up on inexpensive rain ponchos. Sure, a piece of plastic imprinted with a smiling mouse has its appeal, but you'll be paying a premium price for a Mickey raincoat. Think twice about umbrellas. They're not the easiest things to handle and stow as you navigate the parks.
The Magic Kingdom, Epcot and Disney's Hollywood Studios have many attractions that are found indoors. Take a look at the weather forecast during your stay. If there's a fairly dry day predicted, plan to visit the Animal Kingdom Theme Park. While it does have sheltered venues, this is one park that's meant to be enjoyed outdoors.
When you arrive at the park, think about renting a locker. You can stow your raingear when it's not needed (and don't forget to bring a plastic bag to store the wet rainwear.) If it's really raining, plan for soggy shoes/socks. A change of footwear may be a good idea.
The good news is, not everyone plans ahead and you often see visitors leaving in droves once the rain begins. Just keep one safety issue in mind, when you pop on a poncho it doesn't mean that you're immune from lightning. Stay indoors until the coast is clear.
If slogging through the parks during a full day of rain isn't your idea of fun, think about visiting the Disney Resorts. You can hop on the monorail and explore the Grand Floridian, Polynesian and Contemporary Resorts.
While all of the Disney Resorts have arcades, the Contemporary has the biggest by far. You can end up spending a ton of money, but at least you'll be dry and having fun.
If you're a pressed penny collector, there's another incentive for visiting the resorts. Each one has a unique penny machine where you can get a souvenir not found elsewhere.
Did someone say the "S" word? If the mention of "Shopping" has you clinging to your credit card, it is an option to consider on a rainy day. While your budget may not be ready for a one of a kind lithograph, not everything comes with a high price tag. At Downtown Disney there are tons of stores with everything Mickey that you can imagine. Lots of the shops, such as Goofy's Candy Company, Lego Imagination Station, Once Upon a Toy Store and the World of Disney have hands on activities making them the perfect spot for the kids to burn off some energy.
Another endless variety of shopping can be found at Epcot's World Showcase. It's amazing how inexpensive some of the items are, and you sure can't beat sampling some wines while the raindrops fall.
If your mate has that deer caught in the headlights look over the prospect of browsing the stores, pack him in his poncho and send him to the ESPN Zone over at Disney's Boardwalk. As he's happily watching his favorite team and munching on Buffalo wings, you can shop till you drop.
Rainy nights don't have to be a washout if you get tickets for La Nouba, a 90-minute original Cirque du Soleil production at Downtown Disney West Side. For ticket information, contact 407-939-7600.
At some point, you've got to eat, right? Obviously, sitting outdoors munching on a soggy hot dog may not be a plan, but there are so many indoor restaurants to choose from. For the restaurants that accept dining reservations, take the time to see if they have an opening. This can be done via your Disney Resort phone or through guest services in the parks or lobby of your resort.
Believe it or not, rain doesn't necessarily mean the fireworks are canceled. Don't be surprised if Wishes and Illuminations is still scheduled. If you wear glasses, you'll wish they had windshield wipers, but you will get to see the show.
It just takes a little imagination and planning to make a rainy day a memorable one.
- List of Walt Disney World smoking areas updated - The list of smoking areas in the parks, water parks and Downtown Disney has been updated.
- Outdoor Kitchen menus for Epcot Flower and Garden Festival - Food and beverage kiosks are set up around World Showcase. These Outdoor Kitchens are themed to reflect each nation and offer a taste of the culture.
- 3 Things We’d Been Missing at the Magic Kingdom...Until Now - “You’re going again? Don’t you get bored? How can there be anything left to do?” Our answer is always no and yes. No, we’re not bored and yes, there are still things left to do.
- Backstage Tales begins today at Animal Kingdom - Taking place at the Animal Kingdom, guests will head backstage to check out the park's Veterinary Hospital, housing for animals and the Animal Nutrition Center.
- Egg-Stravaganza Easter egg hunt back for the second year - Search for special hidden Disney character "eggs" at Epcot. When you've completed your map, return it for a special surprise!
- March merchandise events at Walt Disney World - Merchandise Events and Artist Appearances/Signings to be held around Walt Disney World in March.
- Blog - Magic Kingdom February Construction Update
- Backstage Safari tour ends today; the new Backstage Tales tour will begin March 1 - The new tour will be offered daily.
- New menu items added at Raglan Road - These have been released just in time for St. Patrick's Day.
- Dates announced for Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party - Tickets will go on sale in April.
- Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party dates announced; tickets on sale in April - Dates are available in September-November.
- Magic Kingdom resorts test direct bus to Typhoon Lagoon - As part of a test through March 28, Wilderness Lodge and the Contemporary will share a direct bus to Typhoon Lagoon. The Polynesian and the Grand Floridian will do the same.
- Disney World's Pirates of the Caribbean to be closed for the summer - The ride will be closed from 5/11 - 9/25/2015.
- Why taking kids would never ruin a Disney Vacation - In response to the article Why I Wouldn’t Ruin My Disney Vacation By Taking Kids.
- Raglan Road's Mighty Festival: St Patrick's Week to be held March 13-17 - Downtown Disney celebrates St. Patrick's Day with live music, classic Irish food and drinks, face painting and merchandise at Raglan Road's Shop.
- WonderGround Gallery expands at Marketplace Co-Op - In early March, the WonderGround Gallery will expand into the area occupied by Beautifully Disney makeup.
- New menu items available at Downtown Disney's Fantasy Fare food truck - The food trucks are all located in Exposition Park, between Bongo's Cuban Cafe and Starbucks.
- ESPN's Mike and Mike show celebrates 15th anniversary with live broadcast - The live show will take place March 6, 2015 at the Waterside Stage, Downtown Disney Marketplace from 6:00-10:00am.
- Easy ways to stay healthy at Disney
- The Other Hawaii (Part 1): How to See the Best of the Islands from a Cruise Ship
- Blog - Have you ever wondered? A peek into the Disney details
- Walt Disney World ticket prices increased - As expected, a Magic Kingdom ticket is now $105 per day.
- Seven Resorts In Seven Days Part 7: Disney's Old Key West Resort
- Seven Resorts In Seven Days Part 6: Disney's Boardwalk Inn Resort
- List of several new drinks planned for Epcot Flower & Garden Festival - This year's Festival will be held March 4-May 17, 2015.
- Seven Resorts In Seven Days Part 5: Disney's Yacht Club Resort
- Save up to 30% on a stay at Aulani - booking date extended! - Savings Include: 3-night stays: 10% off, 4-night stays: 20% off, or 5-or more night stays: 30% off
- Blog - Federal Court Dismisses Lawsuit Alleging "Frozen" is "My Life Story"
- Seven Resorts In Seven Days Part 4: Disney's Beach Club Resort
- List of sample menu items from this year's upcoming Flower and Garden Festival - This year's Festival will be held March 4-May 17, 2015.
- 2015 Star Wars Weekends info and artwork released - More info still to come.
- SeaWorld lays off Clyde & Seamore mimes, among others
- Man sentenced to 5 years for Disney ticket scam
- Club 33 members upset about more changes to benefits
- Iger says future Star Wars attractions to be based on new films
- SeaWorld's CEO steps down
- Man sues SeaWorld for automatically renewing his annual pass
- Retirement date set for Disney's Meg Crofton
- Woman sues Disney, claiming disability after falling from carousel horse
- Hotel leadership changes at Walt Disney World
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens trailer released