Islands of Adventure Attractions
One of the creative forces behind Islands of Adventure is none other than famed director, Steven Spielberg. Adding his magic to Dueling Dragons and bringing his blockbuster hit "Jurassic Park" to Islands of Adventure was a stroke of genius. This section of the park faithfully recreates the "Jurassic" environment from the film.
Park River Adventure
Height Requirement: 42 inches Taken from Universals sister park in California, this is a flume ride based on the popular film. You begin by taking a leisurely boat ride through tropical settings, and before long, you are stalked by velociraptor's and a T-Rex. The 85 foot plunge at the end is considered by many to be the best of any flume ride they've encountered. This will have long lines!!! If you want to REALLY get wet, stand alongside the Terrace Falls restaurant. As the boats come down the final plunge, they throw water to both sides, soaking this area.
This exhibit is divided into two areas. The top floor houses "The Burger Digs" (a fast food restaurant), and the DinoStore (a gift shop). A large spiral staircase (just like the one seen in the film) winds past two suspended dinosaur skeletons. These are actual props from the film 'Jurassic Park'. On the lower floor, you will find several interactive experiences. One area allows you to look through a view finder to see how a dinosaur would see (the units are actually attached to the sides of full scale model dinosaurs, and the heads move as you move the view finder). You can also make 'noises' to hear what the dinosaur would sound like.
Another area features a trivia game entitled "You Bet Jurassic". This fast paced, three player trivia game has four rounds that take about 5 minutes to play. There are 5 versions of the game, so those standing in line to play won't already know the answers when they get their turn.
Against the back wall of the lower level of the Discovery Center is the 'hatchery'. Here you will find a bank of computers for analyzing dinosaur eggs. You place the egg in an analyzer, and attempt to discover what kind of dinosaur is inside. In the center of the back wall, you will see several eggs being rotated. An attendant will come out to check on them, then announce that one of the eggs is starting to hatch. It's a remarkable sight, and very well done!!Pteranodon Flyers
Oddly enough, this is the only ride we know of in Orlando where you MUST be accompanied by a child if you are over 56" tall. This is a slow loading ride that almost always has a ridiculous wait time. It is also not part of UniversalExpress Plus, so there's no skipping to the front of the line here. The Pteranodon's sport 10 foot wingspans and fly in a circular pattern with you on their backs. This is part of Camp Jurassic, and as such is more of a kids ride than anything else. These flyers are also fairly high up, so those with a fear of heights may want to avoid this, as the flyers are open air.Camp Jurassic
An exploration station for kids, complete with caves, lava pits and more. The big attraction here is the Pteranodon Flyers (mentioned above).
- VIDEO: Walking Tour of Loews Sapphire Falls Resort | Universal Orlando - Take a walking tour around Loews Sapphire Falls Resort, Universal Orlando's 5th Loews Hotel on property!
- VIDEO: Tapas, Drinks, and Desserts at Strong Water Tavern | Sapphire Falls Resort - Join Pete, Craig, Ryno and Oliver as they sample almost all of the tapas and ALL of the desserts at Strong Water Tavern at the new Loews Sapphire Falls Resort at Universal Orlando!
- VIDEO: Dining at Jake's American Bar | Royal Pacific Resort - Pete, Craig, Ryno, and Oliver dine out at Jake's American Bar located at Loews Royal Pacific Resort.
- VIDEO: Skull Island: Reign of Kong Queue & Ride Highlights | Islands of Adventure - Skull Island: Reign of Kong brings King Kong back to Universal Orlando after being away for many years.
- Take a look inside the rooms at Loews Sapphire Falls Resort - Check out a standard queen room, Sapphire Suite and kids suite at Loews Sapphire Falls Resort
- VIDEO: Dining at the Wantilan Luau | Royal Pacific Resort - The luau features live music, hula and fire dancers, and an all-you-can-eat buffet that includes pit-roasted suckling pig!
- VIDEO: Skull Island: Reign of Kong Grand Opening
- Kubo and the Two Strings characters appearing at Universal Studios Florida - Kubo, Beetle, and Monkey from the upcoming film Kubo and the Two Strings will be appearing throughout the day at the Character Party Zone in the Hollywood section of Universal Studios Florida.
- Two men arrested at Universal Orlando using fake credit cards - The duo was caught with 17 counterfeit cards on July 5, and were charged with possessing personal identification of other people and misrepresenting themselves.
- Skull Island: Reign of Kong is now officially open! - Kong is a multi-sensory experience on a moving motion simulator of sorts that blends immersive live action environments, with impressive 3D and out-of-this-world animatronics.
- Top 5 Planning Threads on DISboards.com for June 2016 - June was quite the busy month over on DISboards.com! Here's a look at the top 5 vacation planning threads.
- Orlando has several winners in the Theme Park Insider Awards
- VIDEO: Lunch at Springfield U.S.A. | Universal Studios - Oliver and Ryno head over to Springfield U.S.A. for lunch. Will they be saying 'D'oh!' or 'Excellent' by the end of the meal? Watch and find out!
- Possible name for new Universal Orlando hotel?
- The Secret Life of Pets taking over Universal Orlando - Universal is working on an attraction based on the new film.
- Universal Orlando planning new hotel?
- VIDEO: Dinner at Three Broomsticks | Islands of Adventure - Craig, Ryno, and Oliver chow down on the vaguely authentic British-style pub, Three Broomsticks, that is ranked among the best quick service locations in all of Universal Studios Orlando Resort.