Islands of Adventure Attractions
One of the creative forces behind Islands of Adventure is none other than famed director, Steven Spielberg. Adding his magic to Dueling Dragons and bringing his blockbuster hit "Jurassic Park" to Islands of Adventure was a stroke of genius. This section of the park faithfully recreates the "Jurassic" environment from the film.
Park River Adventure
Height Requirement: 42 inches Taken from Universals sister park in California, this is a flume ride based on the popular film. You begin by taking a leisurely boat ride through tropical settings, and before long, you are stalked by velociraptor's and a T-Rex. The 85 foot plunge at the end is considered by many to be the best of any flume ride they've encountered. This will have long lines!!! If you want to REALLY get wet, stand alongside the Terrace Falls restaurant. As the boats come down the final plunge, they throw water to both sides, soaking this area.
This exhibit is divided into two areas. The top floor houses "The Burger Digs" (a fast food restaurant), and the DinoStore (a gift shop). A large spiral staircase (just like the one seen in the film) winds past two suspended dinosaur skeletons. These are actual props from the film 'Jurassic Park'. On the lower floor, you will find several interactive experiences. One area allows you to look through a view finder to see how a dinosaur would see (the units are actually attached to the sides of full scale model dinosaurs, and the heads move as you move the view finder). You can also make 'noises' to hear what the dinosaur would sound like.
Another area features a trivia game entitled "You Bet Jurassic". This fast paced, three player trivia game has four rounds that take about 5 minutes to play. There are 5 versions of the game, so those standing in line to play won't already know the answers when they get their turn.
Against the back wall of the lower level of the Discovery Center is the 'hatchery'. Here you will find a bank of computers for analyzing dinosaur eggs. You place the egg in an analyzer, and attempt to discover what kind of dinosaur is inside. In the center of the back wall, you will see several eggs being rotated. An attendant will come out to check on them, then announce that one of the eggs is starting to hatch. It's a remarkable sight, and very well done!!Pteranodon Flyers
Oddly enough, this is the only ride we know of in Orlando where you MUST be accompanied by a child if you are over 56" tall. This is a slow loading ride that almost always has a ridiculous wait time. It is also not part of UniversalExpress Plus, so there's no skipping to the front of the line here. The Pteranodon's sport 10 foot wingspans and fly in a circular pattern with you on their backs. This is part of Camp Jurassic, and as such is more of a kids ride than anything else. These flyers are also fairly high up, so those with a fear of heights may want to avoid this, as the flyers are open air.Camp Jurassic
An exploration station for kids, complete with caves, lava pits and more. The big attraction here is the Pteranodon Flyers (mentioned above).
- Save up to 30% at Universal on-site hotels - Savings are greater depending on the season and length of stay.
- Event packages for A Celebration of Harry Potter now on sale - Fans of the boy wizard will love this three-day event celebrating everything Harry Potter. There will be Q&A sessions with select cast members and filmmakers, a Harry Potter Expo, and of course, the chance to visit Diagon Alley, ride the Hogwarts Express and Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts.
- Universal annual passholders will get early access to Diagon Alley in September - Annual Passholders will get early access to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Diagon Alley on weekday mornings in September. Access will be granted one hour before the scheduled opening time, which is either 8:00 or 9:00am. This is part of Passholder Appreciation Month.
- Bret Michaels to perform at September Velvet Sessions - September's Velvet Sessions celebrates Pinktober, Hard Rock's annual breast cancer awareness campaign.
- Universal Orlando plans for Celebration of Harry Potter - This three-day event will celebrate everything Harry Potter.
- Win a 2 Night / 3 Day stay at the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin! - Answer 3 questions about the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin on our contest page for a chance to WIN!
- Dracula Haunted House planned for Halloween Horror Nights - The haunted house "will be an origin story with gothic scenes showing Vlad the Impaler's transition into Dracula."
- Halloween Horror Nights plans Aliens vs. Predators haunted house - This year is the 10th anniversary of the Aliens vs. Predator film and the 35th anniversary of the Alien film.
- Eve 6 to perform at August Velvet Sessions - The concert will be held Thursday, August 28 in the lobby of the Hard Rock Hotel.
- Hard Rock Hotel to host wine riffs event - A five-course dinner from the hotel's chefs is paired with wines and music.
- "The Purge: Anarchy" to be Halloween Horror Nights Street Experience - Set in the future, the government allows 12 hours every year where all crime is legal, in an effort to keep crime rates below one percent the rest of the year. Citizens must try to survive the night.