Islands of Adventure Attractions
Islands of Adventure
Opened in 2001, Islands of Adventure mixes the 'edge' that made Universal famous with the 'theming' that made Disney famous. In fact, some of Disney's imagineers were hired by Universal to help develop this park - not to mention that Steven Spielberg himself also served as creative consultant. Islands of Adventure is divided into 5 distinct areas, each offering some of the best attractions in Orlando.
What you need to know
If you arrive at the park when it opens, you'll likely be able to experience just about everything the park has to offer in one day. During peak season, that tends to be a bit more challenging, but not all together impossible.
Universal Express: While Disney offers their 'fast pass' free of charge, Universal chose to take a different approach. A limited number of Universal Express passes are offered for sale, from approximately $40 to $50 per person, depending on the options you choose. Unlike DIsney's FastPass system which gives you a set time to return, Universal Express allows you to move to the front of the line whenever you want (you are limited to one use per attraction). If you are staying on-site at a Universal resort, however, UniversalExpress is provided to you free of charge (just show your room key), and there is no limit to how often you can use it. (There have been rumors that they will limit the use of the room-key Express Pass during peak times, but that is not confirmed).
Universal "Meal Deal": Universal offers a "meal deal" that allows you to effectively eat as much as you want at select counter service locations. The one park meal deal is $19.99 plus tax for adults, and $9.99 pus tax for children ages 3-9. The two park meal deal is $24.99 plus tax for adults and $12.99 for children. Neither offer includes beverages, but the two park Meal Deal does include a dinner entree at select CityWalk restaurants. More details
A very 'wet' park: We really can't stress this enough. Islands of Adventure tends to be a VERY wet park. Three of its biggest attractions (Popeye and Bluto's Bilge Rat Barges, Dudley Do-Right's Ripsaw Falls and Jurassic Park River Adventure) have a habit of soaking you to the bone. For this reason, we suggest that you consider bringing a change of clothes with you to the park. A common mistake most people make is they think that since Florida is hot, they will dry off quickly - keep in mind that when Florida is hot, it's also humid - and nothing is worse then perpetually wet clothes when you're walking around a theme park.The 'Islands' of Islands:
- Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- Marvel Super Hero Island
- Toon Lagoon
- Jurassic Park
- The Lost Continent
- Seuss Landing
Port of Entry does a terrific job of setting the tone for your visit to Islands of Adventure. Themed to reflect the crossroads of a Port town, here you will find some interesting and intriguing shops, as well as some of the best theming detail in the park.
The stores here are decidedly unique. Of course you have the standard 'theme park souvenir stores' that do a good job of pushing all the t-shirts. Of particular interest though are the candy store (which is attached to the Port of Entry Christmas Shoppe), and the Christmas Shoppe itself.
Oddly enough, this is also one of the most photogenic areas of the park, as it is rich in detail and theming. Be sure to take some time during your visit and take some pictures in this area of the park - you'll be happy you did.
- Tom Felton coming to A Celebration of Harry Potter 2017 - Tom Felton, the actor who played Draco Malfoy, will be attending Universal's Potter event this year.
- VIDEO: 2017 Full Park Tour and Overview | 4K | Universal Studios Florida - Take a virtual full walking tour around Universal Studios Florida.
- The Race Through New York Starring Jimmy Fallon Pre-Show video is... - Universal released a sneak peek of the Race Through New York Starring Jimmy Fallon pre-show video and it is interesting to say the least.
- What's Happening at Universal - January 2017 - Take a look around construction, testing and more at Universal this January.
- Photo Validation Express begins testing phase - Universal will use Photo Validation Technology to help stop abuse of Universal Express.
- Events and Jason Isaacs announced for A Celebration of Harry Potter 2017 - Final rundown of events taking place during the weekend and the full list of celebrities is now available.
- Universal Orlando raises price of Butterbeer - The price is now $6.99, up from $5.99.
- July 1st, 2018 could be Universal's Aventura Hotel's opening date - Universal Orlando Resort has not confirmed that date, but the company has stated the opening will be in the summer of 2018.
- RUMOR: New Nintendo announcement coming very soon - New information, possibly containing an opening timeframe, may be imminent.
- Race Through New York Starring Jimmy Fallon opens April 6 - The opening coincides with a live taping at Universal Studios Florida from April 3 – 6.
- Universal Mardi Gras 2017 Concert Lineup & Parade Changes Announced - This year's event will run nightly from February 4 - March 25, a change from the weekends-only events of years past.
- VIDEO: Confisco Grille Overview | Islands of Adventure - A casual restaurant serving a global, kid-friendly menu in an exotic-themed setting.
- Universal Mardi Gras 2017 Concert Lineup & Parade Info - 12 different performers will be coming to Universal Mardi Gras and 6 new floats will join the parade!
- VIDEO: The Secret Life of Pets Float | Universal's Superstar Parade - The Secret Life of Pets has come to Universal Studios Florida as part of Universal's Superstar Parade.
- Rumor: Wet 'n Wild's land to become a value Universal Orlando Hotel - Universal Orlando Resort is expanding quickly, and rumors are now swirling that the 50 acres of land where the now-closed Wet ’n Wild is located will become a massive hotel.
- Universal ride technician's death ruled accidental electrocution - A ride technician died after being electrocuted while working on Universal Orlando’s Men In Black Alien Attack attraction last year.
- VIDEO: Lunch at Louie's | Universal Studios Florida - Join Oliver, Craig, Steve and special guest Charles as they take on the task of filling their faces at Louie's, located at Universal Studios Florida!
- A Disney nerd's day at Universal Orlando
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them...in Universal Studios - So you’ve seen the new movie and you’re ready to experience it in the parks! Good news: there are areas of the parks where you can find those fantastic beasts.
- 4 reasons Disney still stands apart from Universal - Universal is making strides every day to gain more and more of the market share from Disney, and Disney now realizes that Universal poses a real threat.
- VIDEO: Macy's Holiday Parade 2016 | Universal Studios Florida - Macy's Holiday Parade is celebrating their 15th Anniversary at Universal Studios Florida with their biggest parade yet.