Islands of Adventure Attractions
Islands of Adventure
Opened in 2001, Islands of Adventure mixes the 'edge' that made Universal famous with the 'theming' that made Disney famous. In fact, some of Disney's imagineers were hired by Universal to help develop this park - not to mention that Steven Spielberg himself also served as creative consultant. Islands of Adventure is divided into 5 distinct areas, each offering some of the best attractions in Orlando.
What you need to know
If you arrive at the park when it opens, you'll likely be able to experience just about everything the park has to offer in one day. During peak season, that tends to be a bit more challenging, but not all together impossible.
Universal Express: While Disney offers their 'fast pass' free of charge, Universal chose to take a different approach. A limited number of Universal Express passes are offered for sale, from approximately $40 to $50 per person, depending on the options you choose. Unlike DIsney's FastPass system which gives you a set time to return, Universal Express allows you to move to the front of the line whenever you want (you are limited to one use per attraction). If you are staying on-site at a Universal resort, however, UniversalExpress is provided to you free of charge (just show your room key), and there is no limit to how often you can use it. (There have been rumors that they will limit the use of the room-key Express Pass during peak times, but that is not confirmed).
Universal "Meal Deal": Universal offers a "meal deal" that allows you to effectively eat as much as you want at select counter service locations. The one park meal deal is $19.99 plus tax for adults, and $9.99 pus tax for children ages 3-9. The two park meal deal is $24.99 plus tax for adults and $12.99 for children. Neither offer includes beverages, but the two park Meal Deal does include a dinner entree at select CityWalk restaurants. More details
A very 'wet' park: We really can't stress this enough. Islands of Adventure tends to be a VERY wet park. Three of its biggest attractions (Popeye and Bluto's Bilge Rat Barges, Dudley Do-Right's Ripsaw Falls and Jurassic Park River Adventure) have a habit of soaking you to the bone. For this reason, we suggest that you consider bringing a change of clothes with you to the park. A common mistake most people make is they think that since Florida is hot, they will dry off quickly - keep in mind that when Florida is hot, it's also humid - and nothing is worse then perpetually wet clothes when you're walking around a theme park.The 'Islands' of Islands:
- Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- Marvel Super Hero Island
- Toon Lagoon
- Jurassic Park
- The Lost Continent
- Seuss Landing
Port of Entry does a terrific job of setting the tone for your visit to Islands of Adventure. Themed to reflect the crossroads of a Port town, here you will find some interesting and intriguing shops, as well as some of the best theming detail in the park.
The stores here are decidedly unique. Of course you have the standard 'theme park souvenir stores' that do a good job of pushing all the t-shirts. Of particular interest though are the candy store (which is attached to the Port of Entry Christmas Shoppe), and the Christmas Shoppe itself.
Oddly enough, this is also one of the most photogenic areas of the park, as it is rich in detail and theming. Be sure to take some time during your visit and take some pictures in this area of the park - you'll be happy you did.
- Forbidden Journey at Universal Studios Hollywood no longer 3D - Universal Studios Hollywood has removed the 3D effects from Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey.
- Universal is getting an EXCLUSIVE Starbucks mug! - Universal Orlando Resort will be joining the Starbucks 'You Are Here' series starting December 1.
- Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey closed from December 1-18 - These plans have been in the works for months, but only became official on Universal Orlando's park hours calendar and the Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey ride page in the past month.
- BREAKING Nintendo And Universal News - New details have been released regarding the Nintendo and Universal partnership including worlds coming to three Universal Parks.
- The Secret Life of Pets being added to Universal's Superstar Parade - The hit movie will be represented in two floats during Universal's Superstar Parade.
- My Florida Vacation Christmas list - I made my list and checked it twice! Here are some of my favorites when on a Florida Christmas Vacation.
- Volcano Bay tickets now available to purchase - A new vacation package and multi-day tickets are now available for Universal's third theme park
- Universal Orlando ride technician dies while working - From Universal: "We are not going to speculate about what happened - but we can say this has nothing to do with ride safety or the guest experience.”
- 3 Things You Need to Know About Universal's Aventura Hotel - Here are the details on the newest hotel coming to Universal Orlando, Aventura Hotel!
- Volcano Bay's Krakatau Aqua Coaster sounds like the bees knees - The Krakatua Aqua Coaster will be the first-of-its-kind aqua coaster that will utilize linear induction motor technology to propel canoes (seating up to four people) upwards and downwards.
- Universal facing lawsuit over potential new theme park - The lawsuit claims there are "restrictions on the land that prevent a large-scale tourist attraction."
- Why competition with Universal has made Disney stronger - Walt Disney World purists who still refuse to enter either of the Universal Orlando Resort parks may not realize it, but over the past few years Universal has pushed Disney to be better than ever before.
- The latest on Race Through New York Starring Jimmy Fallon - New details released about the upcoming Universal Studios Florida attraction!
- VIDEO: Celebrating National Chocolate day at Toothsome Chocolate Emporium | CityWalk - Was this all as fun and delicious as it sounds or was it just a pain in the tooth?
- Quarterly theme park injury report shows man dies after riding Star Tours - The man had a pre-existing heart condition and felt ill after riding.
- VIDEO: E.T. Adventure Review | Universal Orlando Resort - Craig and Oliver review and give their opinions on the E.T. Adventure attraction located at Universal Studios Florida.
- VIDEO: Dining at Bubba Gump Shrimp CO. | CityWalk - Craig, Ryno, and Oliver dine at the Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. located at Universal CityWalk in Orlando.