Islands of Adventure Attractions
Islands of Adventure
Opened in 2001, Islands of Adventure mixes the 'edge' that made Universal famous with the 'theming' that made Disney famous. In fact, some of Disney's imagineers were hired by Universal to help develop this park - not to mention that Steven Spielberg himself also served as creative consultant. Islands of Adventure is divided into 5 distinct areas, each offering some of the best attractions in Orlando.
What you need to know
If you arrive at the park when it opens, you'll likely be able to experience just about everything the park has to offer in one day. During peak season, that tends to be a bit more challenging, but not all together impossible.
Universal Express: While Disney offers their 'fast pass' free of charge, Universal chose to take a different approach. A limited number of Universal Express passes are offered for sale, from approximately $40 to $50 per person, depending on the options you choose. Unlike DIsney's FastPass system which gives you a set time to return, Universal Express allows you to move to the front of the line whenever you want (you are limited to one use per attraction). If you are staying on-site at a Universal resort, however, UniversalExpress is provided to you free of charge (just show your room key), and there is no limit to how often you can use it. (There have been rumors that they will limit the use of the room-key Express Pass during peak times, but that is not confirmed).
Universal "Meal Deal": Universal offers a "meal deal" that allows you to effectively eat as much as you want at select counter service locations. The one park meal deal is $19.99 plus tax for adults, and $9.99 pus tax for children ages 3-9. The two park meal deal is $24.99 plus tax for adults and $12.99 for children. Neither offer includes beverages, but the two park Meal Deal does include a dinner entree at select CityWalk restaurants. More details
A very 'wet' park: We really can't stress this enough. Islands of Adventure tends to be a VERY wet park. Three of its biggest attractions (Popeye and Bluto's Bilge Rat Barges, Dudley Do-Right's Ripsaw Falls and Jurassic Park River Adventure) have a habit of soaking you to the bone. For this reason, we suggest that you consider bringing a change of clothes with you to the park. A common mistake most people make is they think that since Florida is hot, they will dry off quickly - keep in mind that when Florida is hot, it's also humid - and nothing is worse then perpetually wet clothes when you're walking around a theme park.The 'Islands' of Islands:
- Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- Marvel Super Hero Island
- Toon Lagoon
- Jurassic Park
- The Lost Continent
- Seuss Landing
Port of Entry does a terrific job of setting the tone for your visit to Islands of Adventure. Themed to reflect the crossroads of a Port town, here you will find some interesting and intriguing shops, as well as some of the best theming detail in the park.
The stores here are decidedly unique. Of course you have the standard 'theme park souvenir stores' that do a good job of pushing all the t-shirts. Of particular interest though are the candy store (which is attached to the Port of Entry Christmas Shoppe), and the Christmas Shoppe itself.
Oddly enough, this is also one of the most photogenic areas of the park, as it is rich in detail and theming. Be sure to take some time during your visit and take some pictures in this area of the park - you'll be happy you did.
- Universal follows Disney and raises ticket prices - An adult one-day ticket is now $102; a one-day child ticket is $97.
- Kong is OFFICIALLY coming back to Orlando - This news was mentioned by CFO Michael Angelakis during the 2014 fourth quarter earnings call.
- Universal's ban on bottled water is lifted - No details were discussed as to the original intention of the ban.
- "Sharknado 3" now filming at Universal Studios Florida - Production will last through the 24th.
- Universal Orlando visitors not allowed to bring bottled water into the parks - A company spokesman said this is not a permanent change, but didn't say how long it would last.
- VIDEO: Universal Mardi Gras 2015 - Universal Mardi Gras is an annual event at Universal Studios Florida that brings the fun of New Orleans Mardi Gras to Orlando!
- A Celebration of Harry Potter brings more Potter to Universal - A Celebration of Harry Potter returned in 2015 pleasing fans who didn't attend last year's event.
- A Celebration of Harry Potter 2015 Highlights - Take a look at the highlights of A Celebration of Harry Potter 2015 at Universal Orlando!
- VIDEO: Islands of Adventure Overview - Islands of Adventure opened next door to Universal Studios Florida in 1999, giving guests the chance to explore their way through popular literature as opposed to the movies and television shows at Universal Studios.
- The Best and Worst Packaged Sweets in the Wizarding World of Harry Potter - The Wizarding World of Harry Potter offers a large number of treats to satisfy the sweet tooth of any Wizard or Muggle. Which are the best?
- Olivia Newton-John kicks off Universal's Mardi Gras concerts this weekend - Mardi Gras concerts take place on the Universal Music Plaza Stage right after the Mardi Gras parade.
- Vacation with Purpose at Universal Orlando and Give Kids the World Village - Book a Give Kids the World vacation package and help volunteer and donate to Give Kids the World while vacationing at Universal.
- Shoplifters arrested at Universal Orlando after assaulting officers - Both suspects have were released on bail.
- VIDEO: Universal Studios Florida Overview - Universal Studios Florida has been taking guests behind the scenes and straight into some of the greatest movies and TV shows since opening in 1990.
- VIDEO: The Cowfish Overview - The Cowfish is the first Sushi – Burger Bar and now it is at Universal Orlando.