Islands of Adventure Attractions
Islands of Adventure
Opened in 2001, Islands of Adventure mixes the 'edge' that made Universal famous with the 'theming' that made Disney famous. In fact, some of Disney's imagineers were hired by Universal to help develop this park - not to mention that Steven Spielberg himself also served as creative consultant. Islands of Adventure is divided into 5 distinct areas, each offering some of the best attractions in Orlando.
What you need to know
If you arrive at the park when it opens, you'll likely be able to experience just about everything the park has to offer in one day. During peak season, that tends to be a bit more challenging, but not all together impossible.
Universal Express: While Disney offers their 'fast pass' free of charge, Universal chose to take a different approach. A limited number of Universal Express passes are offered for sale, from approximately $40 to $50 per person, depending on the options you choose. Unlike DIsney's FastPass system which gives you a set time to return, Universal Express allows you to move to the front of the line whenever you want (you are limited to one use per attraction). If you are staying on-site at a Universal resort, however, UniversalExpress is provided to you free of charge (just show your room key), and there is no limit to how often you can use it. (There have been rumors that they will limit the use of the room-key Express Pass during peak times, but that is not confirmed).
Universal "Meal Deal": Universal offers a "meal deal" that allows you to effectively eat as much as you want at select counter service locations. The one park meal deal is $19.99 plus tax for adults, and $9.99 pus tax for children ages 3-9. The two park meal deal is $24.99 plus tax for adults and $12.99 for children. Neither offer includes beverages, but the two park Meal Deal does include a dinner entree at select CityWalk restaurants. More details
A very 'wet' park: We really can't stress this enough. Islands of Adventure tends to be a VERY wet park. Three of its biggest attractions (Popeye and Bluto's Bilge Rat Barges, Dudley Do-Right's Ripsaw Falls and Jurassic Park River Adventure) have a habit of soaking you to the bone. For this reason, we suggest that you consider bringing a change of clothes with you to the park. A common mistake most people make is they think that since Florida is hot, they will dry off quickly - keep in mind that when Florida is hot, it's also humid - and nothing is worse then perpetually wet clothes when you're walking around a theme park.The 'Islands' of Islands:
- Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- Marvel Super Hero Island
- Toon Lagoon
- Jurassic Park
- The Lost Continent
- Seuss Landing
Port of Entry does a terrific job of setting the tone for your visit to Islands of Adventure. Themed to reflect the crossroads of a Port town, here you will find some interesting and intriguing shops, as well as some of the best theming detail in the park.
The stores here are decidedly unique. Of course you have the standard 'theme park souvenir stores' that do a good job of pushing all the t-shirts. Of particular interest though are the candy store (which is attached to the Port of Entry Christmas Shoppe), and the Christmas Shoppe itself.
Oddly enough, this is also one of the most photogenic areas of the park, as it is rich in detail and theming. Be sure to take some time during your visit and take some pictures in this area of the park - you'll be happy you did.
- VIDEO: Terrible Dining Experiences at Amatista Cookhouse | Sapphire Falls Resort - The Amatista Cookhouse is located within Universal Orlando's newest resort, Loews Sapphire Falls. Craig, Ryno, and Oliver attempted to eat at this restaurant for each meal of the day (breakfast, lunch, and dinner) during their stay.
- Second quarter injury report for the Central Florida theme parks
- VIDEO: Walking Tour of Loews Sapphire Falls Resort | Universal Orlando - Take a walking tour around Loews Sapphire Falls Resort, Universal Orlando's 5th Loews Hotel on property!
- VIDEO: Tapas, Drinks, and Desserts at Strong Water Tavern | Sapphire Falls Resort - Join Pete, Craig, Ryno and Oliver as they sample almost all of the tapas and ALL of the desserts at Strong Water Tavern at the new Loews Sapphire Falls Resort at Universal Orlando!
- VIDEO: Dining at Jake's American Bar | Royal Pacific Resort - Pete, Craig, Ryno, and Oliver dine out at Jake's American Bar located at Loews Royal Pacific Resort.
- VIDEO: Skull Island: Reign of Kong Queue & Ride Highlights | Islands of Adventure - Skull Island: Reign of Kong brings King Kong back to Universal Orlando after being away for many years.
- Take a look inside the rooms at Loews Sapphire Falls Resort - Check out a standard queen room, Sapphire Suite and kids suite at Loews Sapphire Falls Resort
- VIDEO: Dining at the Wantilan Luau | Royal Pacific Resort - The luau features live music, hula and fire dancers, and an all-you-can-eat buffet that includes pit-roasted suckling pig!
- VIDEO: Skull Island: Reign of Kong Grand Opening
- Kubo and the Two Strings characters appearing at Universal Studios Florida - Kubo, Beetle, and Monkey from the upcoming film Kubo and the Two Strings will be appearing throughout the day at the Character Party Zone in the Hollywood section of Universal Studios Florida.
- Two men arrested at Universal Orlando using fake credit cards - The duo was caught with 17 counterfeit cards on July 5, and were charged with possessing personal identification of other people and misrepresenting themselves.
- Skull Island: Reign of Kong is now officially open! - Kong is a multi-sensory experience on a moving motion simulator of sorts that blends immersive live action environments, with impressive 3D and out-of-this-world animatronics.
- Top 5 Planning Threads on DISboards.com for June 2016 - June was quite the busy month over on DISboards.com! Here's a look at the top 5 vacation planning threads.
- Orlando has several winners in the Theme Park Insider Awards
- VIDEO: Lunch at Springfield U.S.A. | Universal Studios - Oliver and Ryno head over to Springfield U.S.A. for lunch. Will they be saying 'D'oh!' or 'Excellent' by the end of the meal? Watch and find out!
- Possible name for new Universal Orlando hotel?
- The Secret Life of Pets taking over Universal Orlando - Universal is working on an attraction based on the new film.
- Universal Orlando planning new hotel?
- VIDEO: Dinner at Three Broomsticks | Islands of Adventure - Craig, Ryno, and Oliver chow down on the vaguely authentic British-style pub, Three Broomsticks, that is ranked among the best quick service locations in all of Universal Studios Orlando Resort.