Islands of Adventure Attractions
Islands of Adventure
Opened in 2001, Islands of Adventure mixes the 'edge' that made Universal famous with the 'theming' that made Disney famous. In fact, some of Disney's imagineers were hired by Universal to help develop this park - not to mention that Steven Spielberg himself also served as creative consultant. Islands of Adventure is divided into 5 distinct areas, each offering some of the best attractions in Orlando.
What you need to know
If you arrive at the park when it opens, you'll likely be able to experience just about everything the park has to offer in one day. During peak season, that tends to be a bit more challenging, but not all together impossible.
Universal Express: While Disney offers their 'fast pass' free of charge, Universal chose to take a different approach. A limited number of Universal Express passes are offered for sale, from approximately $40 to $50 per person, depending on the options you choose. Unlike DIsney's FastPass system which gives you a set time to return, Universal Express allows you to move to the front of the line whenever you want (you are limited to one use per attraction). If you are staying on-site at a Universal resort, however, UniversalExpress is provided to you free of charge (just show your room key), and there is no limit to how often you can use it. (There have been rumors that they will limit the use of the room-key Express Pass during peak times, but that is not confirmed).
Universal "Meal Deal": Universal offers a "meal deal" that allows you to effectively eat as much as you want at select counter service locations. The one park meal deal is $19.99 plus tax for adults, and $9.99 pus tax for children ages 3-9. The two park meal deal is $24.99 plus tax for adults and $12.99 for children. Neither offer includes beverages, but the two park Meal Deal does include a dinner entree at select CityWalk restaurants. More details
A very 'wet' park: We really can't stress this enough. Islands of Adventure tends to be a VERY wet park. Three of its biggest attractions (Popeye and Bluto's Bilge Rat Barges, Dudley Do-Right's Ripsaw Falls and Jurassic Park River Adventure) have a habit of soaking you to the bone. For this reason, we suggest that you consider bringing a change of clothes with you to the park. A common mistake most people make is they think that since Florida is hot, they will dry off quickly - keep in mind that when Florida is hot, it's also humid - and nothing is worse then perpetually wet clothes when you're walking around a theme park.The 'Islands' of Islands:
- Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- Marvel Super Hero Island
- Toon Lagoon
- Jurassic Park
- The Lost Continent
- Seuss Landing
Port of Entry does a terrific job of setting the tone for your visit to Islands of Adventure. Themed to reflect the crossroads of a Port town, here you will find some interesting and intriguing shops, as well as some of the best theming detail in the park.
The stores here are decidedly unique. Of course you have the standard 'theme park souvenir stores' that do a good job of pushing all the t-shirts. Of particular interest though are the candy store (which is attached to the Port of Entry Christmas Shoppe), and the Christmas Shoppe itself.
Oddly enough, this is also one of the most photogenic areas of the park, as it is rich in detail and theming. Be sure to take some time during your visit and take some pictures in this area of the park - you'll be happy you did.
- Universal is developing a new video game ride
- Toothsome Chocolate Emporium is a sweet addition to CityWalk
- VIDEO: Toothsome Chocolate Emporium & Savory Feast Kitchen | Universal Orlando CityWalk - The Toothsome Chocolate Emporium & Savory Feast Kitchen will transport you into a 19th century-inspired Steampunk chocolate factory.
- VIDEO: Halloween Horror Nights 08/22/16 Construction Update | Universal Studios Florida - Construction for Halloween Horror Nights 26 at Universal Studios Florida is starting to come along and props are making their way into New York for the "Survive or Die" scare zone and San Francisco for the "Dead Man's Wharf" scare zone.
- VIDEO: Kubo and the Antics of Craig & Kylie | Universal Studios Florida - Join Craig and Kylie as they meet Kubo, Monkey and Beetle from the upcoming Laika animated feature, Kubo and the Two Strings. They also do a bunch of other random stuff around The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Diagon Alley and Springfield at Universal Studios Florida!
- VIDEO: Kubo and the Two Strings Character Appearances | Universal Studios Florida - Check out all of the awesome ways you can see and meet Kubo, Monkey and Beetle from the Laika film "Kubo and the Two Strings".
- The Incredible Hulk Coaster is Stan Lee approved
- American Horror Story coming to HHN is a great thing for the event
- A DIFFERENT KIND OF MAGIC: Tales of a Disney Fan on a Universal Vacation | Chapter 2: Universal Express Pass vs. Disney’s FastPass+
- VIDEO: The Incredible Hulk Re-opens with Marvel Super Heroes! | Islands of Adventure - Check out the grand re-opening celebration of The Incredible Hulk Coaster at Islands of Adventure with a special ceremony featuring Spider-man, Captain America and more!
- Universal releases original HHN 26 houses and scare zones
- The Incredible Hulk Coaster now re-opened - The Incredible Hulk Coaster is finally open again after nearly one year of being down for new enhancements.
- VIDEO: Inside the Queue of The Incredible Hulk Coaster | Islands of Adventure - Check out the queue of the newly enhanced Incredible Hulk Coaster at Islands of Adventure!
- VIDEO: New Incredible Hulk Coaster Soft Opening | Islands of Adventure - Check out the newly reopened Incredible Hulk Coaster in action!
- VIDEO: Having Dinner at Islands Dining Room | Royal Pacific Resort - Join Craig, Oliver, and Ryno as they try their hardest to enjoy the character dining at Islands Dining Room located at Loews Royal Pacific Resort.
- VIDEO: Craig and Ryno Share a Kong Dog | Mess Tent | Islands of Adventure - Craig and Ryno taste the massive Kong Dog from the Mess Tent, the new quick service food location located just outside of Skull Island: Reign of Kong inside Universal's Islands of Adventure. You know you want to watch this!
- A DIFFERENT KIND OF MAGIC: Tales of a Disney Fan on a Universal Vacation | Chapter 1: Booking and Logistics
- VIDEO: Taking a Tour of our Rooms | Sapphire Falls Resort - Craig, Ryno, and Oliver take you on a tour of the different rooms they stayed in while at Universal Orlando's newest resort, Loews Sapphire Falls. The three rooms include the Sapphire Suite, the double queen room, and a children's suite. Watch and see what they thought of the rooms.
- VIDEO: Loews Sapphire Falls Resort Overview | Universal Orlando Resort - Take a detailed look at Universal Orlando's newest hotel - Loews Sapphire Falls Resort!
- VIDEO: Lunch at Drhum Club Kantine | Sapphire Falls - Join Craig, Ryno, and Oliver for lunch by the pool. The three dine at Drhum Club Kantine located at Loews Sapphire Falls, the newest resort at Universal Orlando Resort.
- 5 Things to Do While Waiting at Universal Orlando Resort