Islands of Adventure Attractions
Islands of Adventure
Opened in 2001, Islands of Adventure mixes the 'edge' that made Universal famous with the 'theming' that made Disney famous. In fact, some of Disney's imagineers were hired by Universal to help develop this park - not to mention that Steven Spielberg himself also served as creative consultant. Islands of Adventure is divided into 5 distinct areas, each offering some of the best attractions in Orlando.
What you need to know
If you arrive at the park when it opens, you'll likely be able to experience just about everything the park has to offer in one day. During peak season, that tends to be a bit more challenging, but not all together impossible.
Universal Express: While Disney offers their 'fast pass' free of charge, Universal chose to take a different approach. A limited number of Universal Express passes are offered for sale, from approximately $40 to $50 per person, depending on the options you choose. Unlike DIsney's FastPass system which gives you a set time to return, Universal Express allows you to move to the front of the line whenever you want (you are limited to one use per attraction). If you are staying on-site at a Universal resort, however, UniversalExpress is provided to you free of charge (just show your room key), and there is no limit to how often you can use it. (There have been rumors that they will limit the use of the room-key Express Pass during peak times, but that is not confirmed).
Universal "Meal Deal": Universal offers a "meal deal" that allows you to effectively eat as much as you want at select counter service locations. The one park meal deal is $19.99 plus tax for adults, and $9.99 pus tax for children ages 3-9. The two park meal deal is $24.99 plus tax for adults and $12.99 for children. Neither offer includes beverages, but the two park Meal Deal does include a dinner entree at select CityWalk restaurants. More details
A very 'wet' park: We really can't stress this enough. Islands of Adventure tends to be a VERY wet park. Three of its biggest attractions (Popeye and Bluto's Bilge Rat Barges, Dudley Do-Right's Ripsaw Falls and Jurassic Park River Adventure) have a habit of soaking you to the bone. For this reason, we suggest that you consider bringing a change of clothes with you to the park. A common mistake most people make is they think that since Florida is hot, they will dry off quickly - keep in mind that when Florida is hot, it's also humid - and nothing is worse then perpetually wet clothes when you're walking around a theme park.The 'Islands' of Islands:
- Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- Marvel Super Hero Island
- Toon Lagoon
- Jurassic Park
- The Lost Continent
- Seuss Landing
Port of Entry does a terrific job of setting the tone for your visit to Islands of Adventure. Themed to reflect the crossroads of a Port town, here you will find some interesting and intriguing shops, as well as some of the best theming detail in the park.
The stores here are decidedly unique. Of course you have the standard 'theme park souvenir stores' that do a good job of pushing all the t-shirts. Of particular interest though are the candy store (which is attached to the Port of Entry Christmas Shoppe), and the Christmas Shoppe itself.
Oddly enough, this is also one of the most photogenic areas of the park, as it is rich in detail and theming. Be sure to take some time during your visit and take some pictures in this area of the park - you'll be happy you did.
- VIDEO: Halloween Horror Nights 2014 at Universal Studios Hollywood - Halloween Horror Nights takes over Universal Studios Hollywood the same way the event does at Universal Studios Florida in Orlando. USH's event utilizes all areas of the "park" itself as well as part of the New York backlot allowing for 7 different houses, 5 different scare zones and a unique experience on the Terror Tram.
- Buy a 2-day Universal ticket and receive a 3rd day free - Discount is valid through June 7, 2015.
- Blog - 8 Great Places to Grab a Snack at Universal Orlando
- Blog - Theme Parks Increase Intellectual Property Lineup
- VIDEO: Halloween Horror Nights 24 House + Scare Zone Overview 2014 - Halloween Horror Nights 24 is one of the biggest years ever in the history of HHN at Universal Studios Florida. Everything is done on a different scale than ever before and no detail is overlooked, like the largest maze with the biggest cast in the event's history.
- Dates announced for 2015 Rock the Universe event - Join other fans to experience one of the biggest Christian rock concerts in the world!
- Molly Hatchett to perform at October Velvet Sessions - The lobby of the Hard Rock Hotel in Orlando is transformed into an intimate, high-energy entertainment venue for "Velvet Sessions."
- Harbor Nights to be held October 17 at Portofino Bay Hotel - Guests will enjoy wine, gourmet food, complimentary hand-rolled cigars and live jazz on the Harbor Piazza at Loews Portofino Bay Hotel.
- Jake's Beer Dinner coming up this Friday at Royal Pacific Resort - More than 50 craft beers, food and live music by The I-4 Band make up this festival under the outdoor Wantilan Pavilion at the Royal Pacific Resort.
- Nascar Sports Grille at Universal CityWalk to close November 1 - No announcement has been made as to what will replace the restaurant.
- Universal Orlando offers military ticket discount - Purchase a one-day, park-to-park ticket and receive two free days added onto the ticket.
- VIDEO: The Fountain of Fair Fortune at Diagon Alley - The Fountain of Fair Fortune tells the story of three witches - Asha, Altheda and Amata, as well as a muggle knight, Sir Luckless.
- VIDEO: Universal Orlando's Halloween Horror Nights 24 Preview - Halloween Horror Nights begins tomorrow - check out our preview to see what's coming this year!
- One Direction in concert at Universal Orlando November 17 - The band One Direction will be performing on an episode of the TODAY show to celebrate the release of their new album, Four. The concert will take place at CityWalk and is open to the public, no admission required.
- Blog - Universal Orlando expanding again with the new Loews Sapphire Falls Resort
- Bret Michaels to perform at this month's Velvet Sessions - VIP tickets are already sold out.
- More Haunted House and Street Experience themes announced for Halloween Horror Nights - Universal Orlando's Halloween Horror Nights returns for 28 select nights beginning September 19.