Islands of Adventure Attractions
Islands of Adventure
Opened in 2001, Islands of Adventure mixes the 'edge' that made Universal famous with the 'theming' that made Disney famous. In fact, some of Disney's imagineers were hired by Universal to help develop this park - not to mention that Steven Spielberg himself also served as creative consultant. Islands of Adventure is divided into 5 distinct areas, each offering some of the best attractions in Orlando.
What you need to know
If you arrive at the park when it opens, you'll likely be able to experience just about everything the park has to offer in one day. During peak season, that tends to be a bit more challenging, but not all together impossible.
Universal Express: While Disney offers their 'fast pass' free of charge, Universal chose to take a different approach. A limited number of Universal Express passes are offered for sale, from approximately $40 to $50 per person, depending on the options you choose. Unlike DIsney's FastPass system which gives you a set time to return, Universal Express allows you to move to the front of the line whenever you want (you are limited to one use per attraction). If you are staying on-site at a Universal resort, however, UniversalExpress is provided to you free of charge (just show your room key), and there is no limit to how often you can use it. (There have been rumors that they will limit the use of the room-key Express Pass during peak times, but that is not confirmed).
Universal "Meal Deal": Universal offers a "meal deal" that allows you to effectively eat as much as you want at select counter service locations. The one park meal deal is $19.99 plus tax for adults, and $9.99 pus tax for children ages 3-9. The two park meal deal is $24.99 plus tax for adults and $12.99 for children. Neither offer includes beverages, but the two park Meal Deal does include a dinner entree at select CityWalk restaurants. More details
A very 'wet' park: We really can't stress this enough. Islands of Adventure tends to be a VERY wet park. Three of its biggest attractions (Popeye and Bluto's Bilge Rat Barges, Dudley Do-Right's Ripsaw Falls and Jurassic Park River Adventure) have a habit of soaking you to the bone. For this reason, we suggest that you consider bringing a change of clothes with you to the park. A common mistake most people make is they think that since Florida is hot, they will dry off quickly - keep in mind that when Florida is hot, it's also humid - and nothing is worse then perpetually wet clothes when you're walking around a theme park.The 'Islands' of Islands:
- Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- Marvel Super Hero Island
- Toon Lagoon
- Jurassic Park
- The Lost Continent
- Seuss Landing
Port of Entry does a terrific job of setting the tone for your visit to Islands of Adventure. Themed to reflect the crossroads of a Port town, here you will find some interesting and intriguing shops, as well as some of the best theming detail in the park.
The stores here are decidedly unique. Of course you have the standard 'theme park souvenir stores' that do a good job of pushing all the t-shirts. Of particular interest though are the candy store (which is attached to the Port of Entry Christmas Shoppe), and the Christmas Shoppe itself.
Oddly enough, this is also one of the most photogenic areas of the park, as it is rich in detail and theming. Be sure to take some time during your visit and take some pictures in this area of the park - you'll be happy you did.
- VIDEO: The LEGO Batman Movie Review | DIS POP | 02/17/17 - In this episode of DIS POP, Ryno gives his thoughts and feelings on "The Lego Batman Movie."
- Ticket Prices Increase at Universal Orlando Resort - Park ticket prices have increased at Universal Orlando.
- Nearly 113 Million Tourists Visit Florida in 2016 Breaking the Previous Year's Record - Florida's tourism in 2016 was at an all-time high for the sixth consecutive year, surpassing 2015's record of 106.6 million visitors.
- Disney/Universal Nacho Round-Up - Where to find the best nachos on your Orlando resort vacation.
- Disney and Universal Restaurants Receive Orlando Family Golden Fork Awards - Several Disney and Universal Orlando restaurants made the list of 20 best dishes.
- Longtime Executive Mark Woodbury Appointed as Vice Chairman of Universal Parks and Resorts - A new position of Vice Chairman of Universal Parks & Resorts was created and has been filled by Mark Woodbury who has been with the company for 28 years.
- Universal Orlando and My Disney Family - Read how this Disney family enjoys the differences that Universal Orlando has to offer.
- Take a look at the TapuTapu Wearable - Universal has added the first images of their new technology for Volcano Bay to their website.
- Universal Orlando to Trademark Virtual Line - Universal Orlando is trademarking their new Virtual Line system that will be used with Race Through New York Starring Jimmy Fallon and Volcano Bay.
- Air Travel With an Apprehensive Child - Knowing what triggers anxious or upsetting feelings in your child gives you an opportunity to help them adjust to the situation. Liz Mroz shares some tips for Air travel with an apprehensive child.
- VIDEO: Mardi Gras Parade 2017 | Universal Studios Florida - Universal Mardi Gras is back in 2017 for 50 consecutive nights of beads, food, and fun! Watch the 2017 Universal Orlando Resort Mardi Gras parade!
- VIDEO: Mardi Gras 2017 | Universal Studios Florida - Universal Mardi Gras is back in 2017 for 50 consecutive nights of beads, food, and fun!
- VIDEO: Laissez les bon temps rouler! | Mardi Gras 2017 | Universal Studios - It's the first night of Mardi Gras 2017 at Universal Studios Florida! Craig, Kylie, Ryno, Eli, Oliver, and Spencer are on hand to check out this year's activities that include a festive parade with all new floats, some cajun inspired cuisine, and more!
- Wet 'n Wild Demolition Will Cost Universal Millions - Demolition costs are expected to be around $3 million for the now closed water park.
- Passholders Can Sign Up for Bead Duty at Universal's Mardi Gras - Annual passholders at Universal Orlando can, according to the Orlando Sentinel, sign up to throw beads from parade floats during this year's Mardi Gras celebration.
- VIDEO: Secrets Behind Creature Effects with Nick Dudman & Warwick Davis | A Celebration of Harry Potter 2017 - Watch and hear some amazing behind the scenes stories from Warwick Davis and Nick Dudman, the make-up effects and creature designer for all the Harry Potter films. You'll also learn how Nick and his team brought the wizarding world to life on screen.
- VIDEO: 2017 Full Park Tour and Overview | 4K | Islands of Adventure - Take a virtual full walking tour around Universal Studio's Islands of Adventure theme park.
- Hazmat called to Universal Orlando back of house - WESH 2 is reporting that Hazmat crews were called early Friday morning in response to a chemical issue back of house at Universal Orlando.
- Volcano Bay's Grand Opening will be May 25 - Volcano Bay, Universal's third theme park, will be open to the masses on May 25.
- REVIEW: Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville at Universal CityWalk - Find out what the DIS team thought of their recent dining experience at the popular vacation destination chain.