Islands of Adventure Attractions
Islands of Adventure
Opened in 2001, Islands of Adventure mixes the 'edge' that made Universal famous with the 'theming' that made Disney famous. In fact, some of Disney's imagineers were hired by Universal to help develop this park - not to mention that Steven Spielberg himself also served as creative consultant. Islands of Adventure is divided into 5 distinct areas, each offering some of the best attractions in Orlando.
What you need to know
If you arrive at the park when it opens, you'll likely be able to experience just about everything the park has to offer in one day. During peak season, that tends to be a bit more challenging, but not all together impossible.
Universal Express: While Disney offers their 'fast pass' free of charge, Universal chose to take a different approach. A limited number of Universal Express passes are offered for sale, from approximately $40 to $50 per person, depending on the options you choose. Unlike DIsney's FastPass system which gives you a set time to return, Universal Express allows you to move to the front of the line whenever you want (you are limited to one use per attraction). If you are staying on-site at a Universal resort, however, UniversalExpress is provided to you free of charge (just show your room key), and there is no limit to how often you can use it. (There have been rumors that they will limit the use of the room-key Express Pass during peak times, but that is not confirmed).
Universal "Meal Deal": Universal offers a "meal deal" that allows you to effectively eat as much as you want at select counter service locations. The one park meal deal is $19.99 plus tax for adults, and $9.99 pus tax for children ages 3-9. The two park meal deal is $24.99 plus tax for adults and $12.99 for children. Neither offer includes beverages, but the two park Meal Deal does include a dinner entree at select CityWalk restaurants. More details
A very 'wet' park: We really can't stress this enough. Islands of Adventure tends to be a VERY wet park. Three of its biggest attractions (Popeye and Bluto's Bilge Rat Barges, Dudley Do-Right's Ripsaw Falls and Jurassic Park River Adventure) have a habit of soaking you to the bone. For this reason, we suggest that you consider bringing a change of clothes with you to the park. A common mistake most people make is they think that since Florida is hot, they will dry off quickly - keep in mind that when Florida is hot, it's also humid - and nothing is worse then perpetually wet clothes when you're walking around a theme park.The 'Islands' of Islands:
- Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- Marvel Super Hero Island
- Toon Lagoon
- Jurassic Park
- The Lost Continent
- Seuss Landing
Port of Entry does a terrific job of setting the tone for your visit to Islands of Adventure. Themed to reflect the crossroads of a Port town, here you will find some interesting and intriguing shops, as well as some of the best theming detail in the park.
The stores here are decidedly unique. Of course you have the standard 'theme park souvenir stores' that do a good job of pushing all the t-shirts. Of particular interest though are the candy store (which is attached to the Port of Entry Christmas Shoppe), and the Christmas Shoppe itself.
Oddly enough, this is also one of the most photogenic areas of the park, as it is rich in detail and theming. Be sure to take some time during your visit and take some pictures in this area of the park - you'll be happy you did.
- Syfy's "Face Off" comes to Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Orlando - Syfy's Face Off comes to life at Halloween Horror Nights as a terrifying new street experience with characters created by some of Hollywood's most talented Special effects makeup artists!
- "From Dusk Till Dawn: The Series" theme for haunted house at Halloween Horror Nights - The drama from the El Ray Network had a 10-episode season last year and is based on a 1996 film with the same name.
- Jake's Beer Dinner coming up this Friday at Royal Pacific Resort - This four-course beer dinner will feature select Oskar Blues Brewery craft beers paired with specially prepared entrees and dessert.
- Blog - Like This at Walt Disney World? Try That at Universal Orlando.
- The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Diagon Alley opens today! - New experiences include a thrilling attraction inside Gringotts Bank, dining at The Leaky Cauldron and the Hogwarts Express - an attraction requiring a two-park pass that will transport guests back and forth between the two Wizarding Worlds.
- Bread Box sandwich shop now open at Universal CityWalk - This retro restaurant serves a variety of made-to-order sandwiches, including an entire menu of varieties of grilled cheese!
- Hot Dog Hall of Fame now open at Universal CityWalk - Serving iconic hot dogs from some of the nation's most famous ballparks in Chicago, Boston, New York and L.A.
- Blog - Ride Technology and Storytelling Advance at Universal Creative
- Lou Gramm of Foreigner to perform at Velvet Sessions - After cancelling his January appearance due to illness, Lou Gramm is back to perform at Velvet Sessions.
- VIDEO: Hogwarts Express Complete Experience including Platform 9 ¾ and more! - Enter through King's Cross Station, cross through to Platform 9 ¾ and take a ride on the Hogwarts Express to Hogsmeade train station or after leaving Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, journey back to London and Diagon Alley.
- VIDEO: Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts Queue and Dragon - While walking through the queue for Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts, guests will encounter goblins in the bank lobby, meet up with Bill Weasley in his office and take an elevator ride deep down into the mines to board a cart to take them to their vaults.
- VIDEO: Diagon Alley Overview including Knockturn Alley, Leaky Cauldron and more! - The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Diagon Alley at Universal Studios Florida is the new expansion to the extremely popular Wizarding World of Harry Potter which opened up in Islands of Adventure in 2010.
- Photo gallery of The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Diagon Alley - The Diagon Alley expansion opens to the public July 8.
- VIDEO: Diagon Alley Red Carpet Opening with Harry Potter Film Stars - Stars of the Harry Potter film series came to Universal Orlando to celebrate the opening of Diagon Alley with a red carpet entrance and a special opening ceremony.
- Live Blog - Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Diagon Alley preview at Universal Orlando - This blog will be updated daily during the media event for the soon-to-open Diagon Alley expansion at Universal Studios.
- Diagon Alley to open July 8 at Universal Studios - The date was announced at a media preview event.