Islands of Adventure Attractions
Islands of Adventure
Opened in 2001, Islands of Adventure mixes the 'edge' that made Universal famous with the 'theming' that made Disney famous. In fact, some of Disney's imagineers were hired by Universal to help develop this park - not to mention that Steven Spielberg himself also served as creative consultant. Islands of Adventure is divided into 5 distinct areas, each offering some of the best attractions in Orlando.
What you need to know
If you arrive at the park when it opens, you'll likely be able to experience just about everything the park has to offer in one day. During peak season, that tends to be a bit more challenging, but not all together impossible.
Universal Express: While Disney offers their 'fast pass' free of charge, Universal chose to take a different approach. A limited number of Universal Express passes are offered for sale, from approximately $40 to $50 per person, depending on the options you choose. Unlike DIsney's FastPass system which gives you a set time to return, Universal Express allows you to move to the front of the line whenever you want (you are limited to one use per attraction). If you are staying on-site at a Universal resort, however, UniversalExpress is provided to you free of charge (just show your room key), and there is no limit to how often you can use it. (There have been rumors that they will limit the use of the room-key Express Pass during peak times, but that is not confirmed).
Universal "Meal Deal": Universal offers a "meal deal" that allows you to effectively eat as much as you want at select counter service locations. The one park meal deal is $19.99 plus tax for adults, and $9.99 pus tax for children ages 3-9. The two park meal deal is $24.99 plus tax for adults and $12.99 for children. Neither offer includes beverages, but the two park Meal Deal does include a dinner entree at select CityWalk restaurants. More details
A very 'wet' park: We really can't stress this enough. Islands of Adventure tends to be a VERY wet park. Three of its biggest attractions (Popeye and Bluto's Bilge Rat Barges, Dudley Do-Right's Ripsaw Falls and Jurassic Park River Adventure) have a habit of soaking you to the bone. For this reason, we suggest that you consider bringing a change of clothes with you to the park. A common mistake most people make is they think that since Florida is hot, they will dry off quickly - keep in mind that when Florida is hot, it's also humid - and nothing is worse then perpetually wet clothes when you're walking around a theme park.The 'Islands' of Islands:
- Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- Marvel Super Hero Island
- Toon Lagoon
- Jurassic Park
- The Lost Continent
- Seuss Landing
Port of Entry does a terrific job of setting the tone for your visit to Islands of Adventure. Themed to reflect the crossroads of a Port town, here you will find some interesting and intriguing shops, as well as some of the best theming detail in the park.
The stores here are decidedly unique. Of course you have the standard 'theme park souvenir stores' that do a good job of pushing all the t-shirts. Of particular interest though are the candy store (which is attached to the Port of Entry Christmas Shoppe), and the Christmas Shoppe itself.
Oddly enough, this is also one of the most photogenic areas of the park, as it is rich in detail and theming. Be sure to take some time during your visit and take some pictures in this area of the park - you'll be happy you did.
- September Events at Universal Orlando - List of events happening at Universal Orlando this September 2015.
- Universal Orlando calls bomb squad; discovers musical greeting card in "suspicious package"
- September is Passholder Month at Universal Orlando - September is Passholder Month, which means more exclusive discounts and benefits to anyone holding any level of annual pass.
- Cabana Bay Beach Resort adding 400 guest rooms - Cabana Bay Beach Resort is adding an additional 400 guest rooms by 2017, brining the resort total to 2,200.
- Halloween Horror Nights 25 fully revealed - All of the HHN 25 houses, scare zones, and shows were revealed at midnight on 8/27.
- Fast & Furious: Supercharged coming to Universal Orlando in 2017 - Disaster and Beetlejuice will soon be closing at Universal Studios Florida to make way for Fast & Furious: Supercharged.
- Family's Guide to Universal: The Simpsons Ride
- A Celebration of Harry Potter vacation packages available to book - Information regarding A Celebration of Harry Potter vacation packages.
- Say goodbye to Lucy - A Tribute - Lucy - A Tribute will be replaced by a Hello Kitty interactive retail experience.
- Review: NBA City is an Alley-OOPS! - NBA City may not look great from the outside, but you'd be surprised at some of the great food that is inside.
- Family's Guide to Universal: The Blues Brothers Show - Check out this take on The Blues Brothers Show at Universal Studios Florida in this Family's Guide to Universal!
- Loews Sapphire Falls Resort set to open July 14, 2016 - Loews Sapphire Falls Resort, the fifth Loews Hotel on Universal Orlando Resort property and their first moderate resort, is now available to book and will officially open on July 14, 2016!
- Family's Guide to Universal: Twister...Ride It Out - Twister...Ride It Out places us in the 1996 film, Twister, and is a re-creation of a tornado ripping through a small town in Oklahoma.
- TripAdvisor honors Islands of Adventure as the world's top theme park - These awards are chosen yearly based on reviews from TripAdvisor users.
- Insidious coming to Halloween Horror Nights - The popular film series Insidious will be represented at Halloween Horror Nights 25 at Universal Studios Florida.
- Universal Land & Sea - Day 3 - Royal Pacific Resort - Day 3 of our Universal Land & Sea coverage is dedicated to Royal Pacific Resort - a relaxing escape to the South Pacific right in the middle of Orlando!
- Universal Land & Sea - Day 2 - Hard Rock Hotel - Day 2 of our Universal Land & Sea coverage is dedicated to Hard Rock Hotel - the only hotel in Orlando that makes you feel like a rock star the second you step foot in the lobby.
- Universal Land & Sea - Day 1 - Portofino Bay Hotel - Day 1 of our Universal Land & Sea coverage is dedicated to Portofino Bay Hotel - the flagship resort of Universal Orlando and one of the most beautiful and elegant hotels in Orlando, period.
- Family's Guide to Universal: Popeye & Bluto's Bilge-Rat Barges - It's the classic struggle between a spinach-eating hero and a bearded bully to win the irresistible and scrawny damsel-in-distress, but this time there is a lot of water involved.
- Family's Guide to Universal: MEN IN BLACK Alien Attack - This is one family's take on one of Universal's most popular attractions - MEN IN BLACK Alien Attack.
- Family's Guide to Universal: Revenge of the Mummy - This is one family's take on one of Universal's most popular attractions - Revenge of the Mummy.
- Wet 'n Wild Orlando is closing December 31, 2016 - The water park has been open for nearly 40 years.
- Universal Orlando presents Freddy vs. Jason during Halloween Horror Nights
- Universal Orlando experiences power outage on 25th anniversary