Islands of Adventure Attractions
One of the creative forces behind Islands of Adventure is none other than famed director, Steven Spielberg. Adding his magic to Dueling Dragons and bringing his blockbuster hit "Jurassic Park" to Islands of Adventure was a stroke of genius. This section of the park faithfully recreates the "Jurassic" environment from the film.
Park River Adventure
Height Requirement: 42 inches Taken from Universals sister park in California, this is a flume ride based on the popular film. You begin by taking a leisurely boat ride through tropical settings, and before long, you are stalked by velociraptor's and a T-Rex. The 85 foot plunge at the end is considered by many to be the best of any flume ride they've encountered. This will have long lines!!! If you want to REALLY get wet, stand alongside the Terrace Falls restaurant. As the boats come down the final plunge, they throw water to both sides, soaking this area.
This exhibit is divided into two areas. The top floor houses "The Burger Digs" (a fast food restaurant), and the DinoStore (a gift shop). A large spiral staircase (just like the one seen in the film) winds past two suspended dinosaur skeletons. These are actual props from the film 'Jurassic Park'. On the lower floor, you will find several interactive experiences. One area allows you to look through a view finder to see how a dinosaur would see (the units are actually attached to the sides of full scale model dinosaurs, and the heads move as you move the view finder). You can also make 'noises' to hear what the dinosaur would sound like.
Another area features a trivia game entitled "You Bet Jurassic". This fast paced, three player trivia game has four rounds that take about 5 minutes to play. There are 5 versions of the game, so those standing in line to play won't already know the answers when they get their turn.
Against the back wall of the lower level of the Discovery Center is the 'hatchery'. Here you will find a bank of computers for analyzing dinosaur eggs. You place the egg in an analyzer, and attempt to discover what kind of dinosaur is inside. In the center of the back wall, you will see several eggs being rotated. An attendant will come out to check on them, then announce that one of the eggs is starting to hatch. It's a remarkable sight, and very well done!!Pteranodon Flyers
Oddly enough, this is the only ride we know of in Orlando where you MUST be accompanied by a child if you are over 56" tall. This is a slow loading ride that almost always has a ridiculous wait time. It is also not part of UniversalExpress Plus, so there's no skipping to the front of the line here. The Pteranodon's sport 10 foot wingspans and fly in a circular pattern with you on their backs. This is part of Camp Jurassic, and as such is more of a kids ride than anything else. These flyers are also fairly high up, so those with a fear of heights may want to avoid this, as the flyers are open air.Camp Jurassic
An exploration station for kids, complete with caves, lava pits and more. The big attraction here is the Pteranodon Flyers (mentioned above).
- Forbidden Journey at Universal Studios Hollywood no longer 3D - Universal Studios Hollywood has removed the 3D effects from Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey.
- Universal is getting an EXCLUSIVE Starbucks mug! - Universal Orlando Resort will be joining the Starbucks 'You Are Here' series starting December 1.
- Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey closed from December 1-18 - These plans have been in the works for months, but only became official on Universal Orlando's park hours calendar and the Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey ride page in the past month.
- BREAKING Nintendo And Universal News - New details have been released regarding the Nintendo and Universal partnership including worlds coming to three Universal Parks.
- The Secret Life of Pets being added to Universal's Superstar Parade - The hit movie will be represented in two floats during Universal's Superstar Parade.
- My Florida Vacation Christmas list - I made my list and checked it twice! Here are some of my favorites when on a Florida Christmas Vacation.
- Volcano Bay tickets now available to purchase - A new vacation package and multi-day tickets are now available for Universal's third theme park
- Universal Orlando ride technician dies while working - From Universal: "We are not going to speculate about what happened - but we can say this has nothing to do with ride safety or the guest experience.”
- 3 Things You Need to Know About Universal's Aventura Hotel - Here are the details on the newest hotel coming to Universal Orlando, Aventura Hotel!
- Volcano Bay's Krakatau Aqua Coaster sounds like the bees knees - The Krakatua Aqua Coaster will be the first-of-its-kind aqua coaster that will utilize linear induction motor technology to propel canoes (seating up to four people) upwards and downwards.
- Universal facing lawsuit over potential new theme park - The lawsuit claims there are "restrictions on the land that prevent a large-scale tourist attraction."
- Why competition with Universal has made Disney stronger - Walt Disney World purists who still refuse to enter either of the Universal Orlando Resort parks may not realize it, but over the past few years Universal has pushed Disney to be better than ever before.
- The latest on Race Through New York Starring Jimmy Fallon - New details released about the upcoming Universal Studios Florida attraction!
- VIDEO: Celebrating National Chocolate day at Toothsome Chocolate Emporium | CityWalk - Was this all as fun and delicious as it sounds or was it just a pain in the tooth?
- Quarterly theme park injury report shows man dies after riding Star Tours - The man had a pre-existing heart condition and felt ill after riding.
- VIDEO: E.T. Adventure Review | Universal Orlando Resort - Craig and Oliver review and give their opinions on the E.T. Adventure attraction located at Universal Studios Florida.
- VIDEO: Dining at Bubba Gump Shrimp CO. | CityWalk - Craig, Ryno, and Oliver dine at the Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. located at Universal CityWalk in Orlando.