Mardi Gras - Universal Studios Orlando
"Colorful Cultures Around the World"
Saturdays & Select Weekend Nights February 8 – May 31, 2014
What's Mardi Gras? The Real One
Mardi Gras or “Fat Tuesday” is the day before the season of Lent begins. This is the last day of Carnival, the giant and sometimes outrageous party that starts every year on January 6 (also known as King’s Day). The official colors of Carnival are purple, green and gold, these signify justice, faith, and power.
The festival of Mardi Gras dates back 5,000 years, but it didn’t come to America until 1699 with the French explorer, Iberville, and the first parades officially began in 1838.
In New Orleans, each parade has a theme that is usually borrowed from history, mythology or Hollywood and a few of the big parades in New Orleans are Bacchus, Orpheus, and Rex. The parades are put on by private social groups, also known as Krewes, and they consist of 10 to 40 floats carrying krewe members that throw trinkets. These coveted “throws” include beads, doubloons, small toys, and candy. Local high school marching bands, dance groups, and costumed characters are also a part of the parade. New Orleans Mardi Gras is crazy fun with a wild reputation and people come from all over the world to join the locals for the carnival celebration.
While the party in New Orleans can get wild and crazy, the Universal Studios Mardi Gras celebration is a much more family friendly event. While there is still a lot of drinking going on at Universal, it’s controlled very well and you shouldn’t feel unsafe in any way.
You will know it's Mardi Gras at Universal the second you enter the park. From the festive decorations in purple, green and gold and the traditional zydeco music, to the colorful street performers and stilt walkers, you will be immersed in the Mardi Gras theme.
The French Quarter Courtyard is the main hub of the celebration and it's located in the New York area of Universal Studios (near the Mummy and Twister attractions). Here's where you will find food, spirits, and musicians straight out of New Orleans (Nawlins). Be sure to sample some of the local New Orleans style cuisine including, jambalaya, shrimp gumbo, red beans & rice, and andouille sausage po-boys (Po-boys are subs or hoagies or sandwiches to the rest of the country).
While we can’t really compare the quality of food to what you would get in New Orleans, they do a good job and offer a nice variety.
One of the centerpieces of Universal’s Mardi Gras celebration is the parade. The Krewe of Dionysus Parade rolls out around 7:30pm or 8:30pm depending on weather and the date.
The traditional Mardi Gras floats, which come directly from New Orleans, are the Riverboat, the King Gator, the Jester, the King & Queen float, the Boeuf Gras (the BIG beef), the title float (which lets you know the name of the krewe and the theme of the parade) and the Universal float.
The floats are great, but the throws are limited to standard size beads and doubloons. If you want the really nice big, long beads, you'll need to purchase them at one of the several gift shops located throughout the park. Mardi Gras memorabilia such as jester hats, large yard glasses, feather boas, masks and t-shirts are also available for purchase.
The main event and highlight for many is the concert at the end of the night in the new Music Plaza, immediately following the parade. Universal brings in a great lineup of bands for these concerts (some of the ones in the past included Daughtry, The Go-Gos, LL Cool J, Kid Rock, Willie Nelson and Heart). Depending on the performer, this area of the park can get very crowded, very quickly and you should expect to be far from the stage if you wait until after the parade to choose your spot. You should choose your parade viewing location carefully as the best viewing areas for the concert fill very quickly, as soon as the parade ends. There are large viewing screens for those in the back of the crowd.
If you find yourself wanting to continue the party, at the end of the night, head over to Universal’s CityWalk and continue the Mardi Gras festivities at Pat O’Brien’s. It's a replica of the original Pat O’Brien’s located in New Orleans where you can enjoy a hurricane (a New Orleans traditional drink - it's strong!) on the patio or sing along in the Piano Bar. At this location, it's Mardi Gras 365 days a year!
The best part about this whole Mardi Gras celebration is that it's free!! As long as you have admission to Universal Studios, you can participate in the festivities. Please keep in mind that the live concerts are held on Saturday and select Sunday nights. Go! You will have an awesome time.
Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler! That's "Let the good times roll!"
Live Concerts at the Main Stage
Showtimes for these concerts follow the parade.
2014 MARDI GRAS TALENT LINE-UP
|Mardi Gras Event Dates||Headliners (performing in the Music Plaza)|
|Saturday, February 8||Daughtry|
|Saturday, February 15||Barenaked Ladies|
|Sunday, February 16||Thomas Rhett|
|Saturday, February 22||Robin Thicke - cancelled due to illness|
|Saturday, March 1||Collective Soul|
|Saturday, March 8||Prince Royce|
|Friday, March 14||Cody Simpson|
|Saturday, March 15||Foreigner|
|Friday, March 21||A Great Big World|
|Saturday, March 22||Gavin DeGraw|
|Friday, March 28||Kelly Rowland|
|Saturday, March 29||Weezer|
|Saturday, April 5||Skillet|
|Saturday, April 12||Lynyrd Skynyrd|
|Saturday, April 19||Kool & The Gang|
|Saturday, May 3||Nelly|
|Saturday, May 10||The Wanted|
|Saturday, May 17||The Roots|
|Saturday, May 24||Cher Lloyd|
|Saturday, May 31||Huey Lewis And The News|
|Saturday, June 7||Robin Thicke|
*All concerts are subject to change
All French Quarter Bands will perform at Mardi Gras in Universal Studios then appear afterwards at Universal CityWalk.
2014 MARDI GRAS TALENT LINE-UP
|Mardi Gras Event Dates||New Orleans Bands (performing in the French Quarter)|
|Saturday, February 8||Remedy Krewe|
|Saturday, February 15||Soul Project|
|Sunday, February 16||Soul Project|
|Saturday, February 22||Rockin' Jake|
|Saturday, March 1||Big Al & The Heavyweights|
|Saturday, March 8||Daddy Mack Blues Band|
|Friday, March 14||Mississippi Rail Company|
|Saturday, March 15||Mississippi Rail Company|
|Friday, March 21||The Big Easy Playboys|
|Saturday, March 22||The Big Easy Playboys|
|Friday, March 28||Dirty Bourbon River Show|
|Saturday, March 29||Dirty Bourbon River Show|
|Saturday, April 5||John Lisi and Delt Funk|
|Saturday, April 12||Beth McKee & The Sliders|
|Saturday, April 19||Gravy|
|Saturday, May 3||Chris O'Leary|
|Saturday, May 10||T Bird & The Breaks|
|Saturday, May 17||Grady Champion|
|Saturday, May 24||Cha Wa|
|Saturday, May 31||Naughty Professor|
- VIDEO: New Dining Vlog at Toothsome Chocolate Emporium | CityWalk - Craig, Ryno, and Oliver attend the first preview night of Toothsome Chocolate Emporium & Savory Feast Kitchen, the newest dining addition to Universal Citywalk Orlando.
- VIDEO: Lard Lad, Laughs and Lots of Fun | Universal Studios Florida - Join Oliver, Ryno, Craig and Kylie as they play at Universal Studios Florida.
- Should Universal be concerned about the Toothsome $40 million lawsuit?
- A Celebration of Harry Potter returns for 2017 - The Potter-centric event will be back January 27-29, 2017.
- Universal is developing a new video game ride
- Toothsome Chocolate Emporium is a sweet addition to CityWalk
- VIDEO: Toothsome Chocolate Emporium & Savory Feast Kitchen | Universal Orlando CityWalk - The Toothsome Chocolate Emporium & Savory Feast Kitchen will transport you into a 19th century-inspired Steampunk chocolate factory.
- VIDEO: Halloween Horror Nights 08/22/16 Construction Update | Universal Studios Florida - Construction for Halloween Horror Nights 26 at Universal Studios Florida is starting to come along and props are making their way into New York for the "Survive or Die" scare zone and San Francisco for the "Dead Man's Wharf" scare zone.
- VIDEO: Kubo and the Antics of Craig & Kylie | Universal Studios Florida - Join Craig and Kylie as they meet Kubo, Monkey and Beetle from the upcoming Laika animated feature, Kubo and the Two Strings. They also do a bunch of other random stuff around The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Diagon Alley and Springfield at Universal Studios Florida!
- VIDEO: Kubo and the Two Strings Character Appearances | Universal Studios Florida - Check out all of the awesome ways you can see and meet Kubo, Monkey and Beetle from the Laika film "Kubo and the Two Strings".
- The Incredible Hulk Coaster is Stan Lee approved
- American Horror Story coming to HHN is a great thing for the event
- A DIFFERENT KIND OF MAGIC: Tales of a Disney Fan on a Universal Vacation | Chapter 2: Universal Express Pass vs. Disney’s FastPass+
- VIDEO: The Incredible Hulk Re-opens with Marvel Super Heroes! | Islands of Adventure - Check out the grand re-opening celebration of The Incredible Hulk Coaster at Islands of Adventure with a special ceremony featuring Spider-man, Captain America and more!
- Universal releases original HHN 26 houses and scare zones
- The Incredible Hulk Coaster now re-opened - The Incredible Hulk Coaster is finally open again after nearly one year of being down for new enhancements.
- VIDEO: Inside the Queue of The Incredible Hulk Coaster | Islands of Adventure - Check out the queue of the newly enhanced Incredible Hulk Coaster at Islands of Adventure!
- VIDEO: New Incredible Hulk Coaster Soft Opening | Islands of Adventure - Check out the newly reopened Incredible Hulk Coaster in action!
- VIDEO: Having Dinner at Islands Dining Room | Royal Pacific Resort - Join Craig, Oliver, and Ryno as they try their hardest to enjoy the character dining at Islands Dining Room located at Loews Royal Pacific Resort.
- VIDEO: Craig and Ryno Share a Kong Dog | Mess Tent | Islands of Adventure - Craig and Ryno taste the massive Kong Dog from the Mess Tent, the new quick service food location located just outside of Skull Island: Reign of Kong inside Universal's Islands of Adventure. You know you want to watch this!
- A DIFFERENT KIND OF MAGIC: Tales of a Disney Fan on a Universal Vacation | Chapter 1: Booking and Logistics
- VIDEO: Taking a Tour of our Rooms | Sapphire Falls Resort - Craig, Ryno, and Oliver take you on a tour of the different rooms they stayed in while at Universal Orlando's newest resort, Loews Sapphire Falls. The three rooms include the Sapphire Suite, the double queen room, and a children's suite. Watch and see what they thought of the rooms.
- VIDEO: Loews Sapphire Falls Resort Overview | Universal Orlando Resort - Take a detailed look at Universal Orlando's newest hotel - Loews Sapphire Falls Resort!
- VIDEO: Lunch at Drhum Club Kantine | Sapphire Falls - Join Craig, Ryno, and Oliver for lunch by the pool. The three dine at Drhum Club Kantine located at Loews Sapphire Falls, the newest resort at Universal Orlando Resort.
- 5 Things to Do While Waiting at Universal Orlando Resort