Mardi Gras - Universal Studios Orlando
"Colorful Cultures Around the World"
Saturdays & Select Weekend Nights February 8 – May 31, 2014
What's Mardi Gras? The Real One
Mardi Gras or “Fat Tuesday” is the day before the season of Lent begins. This is the last day of Carnival, the giant and sometimes outrageous party that starts every year on January 6 (also known as King’s Day). The official colors of Carnival are purple, green and gold, these signify justice, faith, and power.
The festival of Mardi Gras dates back 5,000 years, but it didn’t come to America until 1699 with the French explorer, Iberville, and the first parades officially began in 1838.
In New Orleans, each parade has a theme that is usually borrowed from history, mythology or Hollywood and a few of the big parades in New Orleans are Bacchus, Orpheus, and Rex. The parades are put on by private social groups, also known as Krewes, and they consist of 10 to 40 floats carrying krewe members that throw trinkets. These coveted “throws” include beads, doubloons, small toys, and candy. Local high school marching bands, dance groups, and costumed characters are also a part of the parade. New Orleans Mardi Gras is crazy fun with a wild reputation and people come from all over the world to join the locals for the carnival celebration.
While the party in New Orleans can get wild and crazy, the Universal Studios Mardi Gras celebration is a much more family friendly event. While there is still a lot of drinking going on at Universal, it’s controlled very well and you shouldn’t feel unsafe in any way.
You will know it's Mardi Gras at Universal the second you enter the park. From the festive decorations in purple, green and gold and the traditional zydeco music, to the colorful street performers and stilt walkers, you will be immersed in the Mardi Gras theme.
The French Quarter Courtyard is the main hub of the celebration and it's located in the New York area of Universal Studios (near the Mummy and Twister attractions). Here's where you will find food, spirits, and musicians straight out of New Orleans (Nawlins). Be sure to sample some of the local New Orleans style cuisine including, jambalaya, shrimp gumbo, red beans & rice, and andouille sausage po-boys (Po-boys are subs or hoagies or sandwiches to the rest of the country).
While we can’t really compare the quality of food to what you would get in New Orleans, they do a good job and offer a nice variety.
One of the centerpieces of Universal’s Mardi Gras celebration is the parade. The Krewe of Dionysus Parade rolls out around 7:30pm or 8:30pm depending on weather and the date.
The traditional Mardi Gras floats, which come directly from New Orleans, are the Riverboat, the King Gator, the Jester, the King & Queen float, the Boeuf Gras (the BIG beef), the title float (which lets you know the name of the krewe and the theme of the parade) and the Universal float.
The floats are great, but the throws are limited to standard size beads and doubloons. If you want the really nice big, long beads, you'll need to purchase them at one of the several gift shops located throughout the park. Mardi Gras memorabilia such as jester hats, large yard glasses, feather boas, masks and t-shirts are also available for purchase.
The main event and highlight for many is the concert at the end of the night in the new Music Plaza, immediately following the parade. Universal brings in a great lineup of bands for these concerts (some of the ones in the past included Daughtry, The Go-Gos, LL Cool J, Kid Rock, Willie Nelson and Heart). Depending on the performer, this area of the park can get very crowded, very quickly and you should expect to be far from the stage if you wait until after the parade to choose your spot. You should choose your parade viewing location carefully as the best viewing areas for the concert fill very quickly, as soon as the parade ends. There are large viewing screens for those in the back of the crowd.
If you find yourself wanting to continue the party, at the end of the night, head over to Universal’s CityWalk and continue the Mardi Gras festivities at Pat O’Brien’s. It's a replica of the original Pat O’Brien’s located in New Orleans where you can enjoy a hurricane (a New Orleans traditional drink - it's strong!) on the patio or sing along in the Piano Bar. At this location, it's Mardi Gras 365 days a year!
The best part about this whole Mardi Gras celebration is that it's free!! As long as you have admission to Universal Studios, you can participate in the festivities. Please keep in mind that the live concerts are held on Saturday and select Sunday nights. Go! You will have an awesome time.
Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler! That's "Let the good times roll!"
Live Concerts at the Main Stage
Showtimes for these concerts follow the parade.
2014 MARDI GRAS TALENT LINE-UP
|Mardi Gras Event Dates||Headliners (performing in the Music Plaza)|
|Saturday, February 8||Daughtry|
|Saturday, February 15||Barenaked Ladies|
|Sunday, February 16||Thomas Rhett|
|Saturday, February 22||Robin Thicke - cancelled due to illness|
|Saturday, March 1||Collective Soul|
|Saturday, March 8||Prince Royce|
|Friday, March 14||Cody Simpson|
|Saturday, March 15||Foreigner|
|Friday, March 21||A Great Big World|
|Saturday, March 22||Gavin DeGraw|
|Friday, March 28||Kelly Rowland|
|Saturday, March 29||Weezer|
|Saturday, April 5||Skillet|
|Saturday, April 12||Lynyrd Skynyrd|
|Saturday, April 19||Kool & The Gang|
|Saturday, May 3||Nelly|
|Saturday, May 10||The Wanted|
|Saturday, May 17||The Roots|
|Saturday, May 24||Cher Lloyd|
|Saturday, May 31||Huey Lewis And The News|
|Saturday, June 7||Robin Thicke|
*All concerts are subject to change
All French Quarter Bands will perform at Mardi Gras in Universal Studios then appear afterwards at Universal CityWalk.
2014 MARDI GRAS TALENT LINE-UP
|Mardi Gras Event Dates||New Orleans Bands (performing in the French Quarter)|
|Saturday, February 8||Remedy Krewe|
|Saturday, February 15||Soul Project|
|Sunday, February 16||Soul Project|
|Saturday, February 22||Rockin' Jake|
|Saturday, March 1||Big Al & The Heavyweights|
|Saturday, March 8||Daddy Mack Blues Band|
|Friday, March 14||Mississippi Rail Company|
|Saturday, March 15||Mississippi Rail Company|
|Friday, March 21||The Big Easy Playboys|
|Saturday, March 22||The Big Easy Playboys|
|Friday, March 28||Dirty Bourbon River Show|
|Saturday, March 29||Dirty Bourbon River Show|
|Saturday, April 5||John Lisi and Delt Funk|
|Saturday, April 12||Beth McKee & The Sliders|
|Saturday, April 19||Gravy|
|Saturday, May 3||Chris O'Leary|
|Saturday, May 10||T Bird & The Breaks|
|Saturday, May 17||Grady Champion|
|Saturday, May 24||Cha Wa|
|Saturday, May 31||Naughty Professor|
- RUMOR: New Nintendo announcement coming very soon - New information, possibly containing an opening timeframe, may be imminent.
- Race Through New York Starring Jimmy Fallon opens April 6 - The opening coincides with a live taping at Universal Studios Florida from April 3 – 6.
- Universal Mardi Gras 2017 Concert Lineup & Parade Changes Announced - This year's event will run nightly from February 4 - March 25, a change from the weekends-only events of years past.
- VIDEO: Confisco Grille Overview | Islands of Adventure - A casual restaurant serving a global, kid-friendly menu in an exotic-themed setting.
- Universal Mardi Gras 2017 Concert Lineup & Parade Info - 12 different performers will be coming to Universal Mardi Gras and 6 new floats will join the parade!
- VIDEO: The Secret Life of Pets Float | Universal's Superstar Parade - The Secret Life of Pets has come to Universal Studios Florida as part of Universal's Superstar Parade.
- Rumor: Wet 'n Wild's land to become a value Universal Orlando Hotel - Universal Orlando Resort is expanding quickly, and rumors are now swirling that the 50 acres of land where the now-closed Wet ’n Wild is located will become a massive hotel.
- Universal ride technician's death ruled accidental electrocution - A ride technician died after being electrocuted while working on Universal Orlando’s Men In Black Alien Attack attraction last year.
- VIDEO: Lunch at Louie's | Universal Studios Florida - Join Oliver, Craig, Steve and special guest Charles as they take on the task of filling their faces at Louie's, located at Universal Studios Florida!
- A Disney nerd's day at Universal Orlando
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them...in Universal Studios - So you’ve seen the new movie and you’re ready to experience it in the parks! Good news: there are areas of the parks where you can find those fantastic beasts.
- 4 reasons Disney still stands apart from Universal - Universal is making strides every day to gain more and more of the market share from Disney, and Disney now realizes that Universal poses a real threat.
- VIDEO: Macy's Holiday Parade 2016 | Universal Studios Florida - Macy's Holiday Parade is celebrating their 15th Anniversary at Universal Studios Florida with their biggest parade yet.
- Super Nintendo World at Universal Studios Japan will open in time for 2020 Olympics - The first Nintendo themed area will bring to life the world of Mario and friends.
- Warwick Davis and Matthew Lewis to attend A Celebration of Harry Potter - The event will take place January 27 to 29, 2017.
- VIDEO: Interview with The Grinch (A Grinch-erview) | Universal Orlando - We had the chance to talk to the one and only Grinch at Universal Orlando to talk about the Grinchmas Wholiday Spectacular, Whos from Whoville, and his dog, Max.
- VIDEO: Pere Noel France Pavilion | Holiday Storytellers | Epcot - Pere Noel reads a little girl's letter and tells of French tradition, including kids leaving out their shoes for Christmas.
- VIDEO: Marvel Ride Review: Spider-Man & Hulk Coaster | Islands of Adventure - Ryno and Jill take on two fan favorite attractions at Universal's Island of Adventure, The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man and The Incredible Hulk Coaster.
- VIDEO: Macy's Holiday Parade NEW Balloons and Characters | Universal Studios Florida - Macy's and Universal are celebrating 15 years of the Macy's Holiday Parade by introducing a brand new balloon, a brand new balloonicle and new characters to the yearly tradition.
- Forbidden Journey at Universal Studios Hollywood no longer 3D - Universal Studios Hollywood has removed the 3D effects from Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey.
- Universal is getting an EXCLUSIVE Starbucks mug! - Universal Orlando Resort will be joining the Starbucks 'You Are Here' series starting December 1.
- Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey closed from December 1-18 - These plans have been in the works for months, but only became official on Universal Orlando's park hours calendar and the Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey ride page in the past month.
- BREAKING Nintendo And Universal News - New details have been released regarding the Nintendo and Universal partnership including worlds coming to three Universal Parks.