Mardi Gras - Universal Studios Orlando
"Colorful Cultures Around the World"
Saturdays & Select Weekend Nights February 8 – May 31, 2014
What's Mardi Gras? The Real One
Mardi Gras or “Fat Tuesday” is the day before the season of Lent begins. This is the last day of Carnival, the giant and sometimes outrageous party that starts every year on January 6 (also known as King’s Day). The official colors of Carnival are purple, green and gold, these signify justice, faith, and power.
The festival of Mardi Gras dates back 5,000 years, but it didn’t come to America until 1699 with the French explorer, Iberville, and the first parades officially began in 1838.
In New Orleans, each parade has a theme that is usually borrowed from history, mythology or Hollywood and a few of the big parades in New Orleans are Bacchus, Orpheus, and Rex. The parades are put on by private social groups, also known as Krewes, and they consist of 10 to 40 floats carrying krewe members that throw trinkets. These coveted “throws” include beads, doubloons, small toys, and candy. Local high school marching bands, dance groups, and costumed characters are also a part of the parade. New Orleans Mardi Gras is crazy fun with a wild reputation and people come from all over the world to join the locals for the carnival celebration.
While the party in New Orleans can get wild and crazy, the Universal Studios Mardi Gras celebration is a much more family friendly event. While there is still a lot of drinking going on at Universal, it’s controlled very well and you shouldn’t feel unsafe in any way.
You will know it's Mardi Gras at Universal the second you enter the park. From the festive decorations in purple, green and gold and the traditional zydeco music, to the colorful street performers and stilt walkers, you will be immersed in the Mardi Gras theme.
The French Quarter Courtyard is the main hub of the celebration and it's located in the New York area of Universal Studios (near the Mummy and Twister attractions). Here's where you will find food, spirits, and musicians straight out of New Orleans (Nawlins). Be sure to sample some of the local New Orleans style cuisine including, jambalaya, shrimp gumbo, red beans & rice, and andouille sausage po-boys (Po-boys are subs or hoagies or sandwiches to the rest of the country).
While we can’t really compare the quality of food to what you would get in New Orleans, they do a good job and offer a nice variety.
One of the centerpieces of Universal’s Mardi Gras celebration is the parade. The Krewe of Dionysus Parade rolls out around 7:30pm or 8:30pm depending on weather and the date.
The traditional Mardi Gras floats, which come directly from New Orleans, are the Riverboat, the King Gator, the Jester, the King & Queen float, the Boeuf Gras (the BIG beef), the title float (which lets you know the name of the krewe and the theme of the parade) and the Universal float.
The floats are great, but the throws are limited to standard size beads and doubloons. If you want the really nice big, long beads, you'll need to purchase them at one of the several gift shops located throughout the park. Mardi Gras memorabilia such as jester hats, large yard glasses, feather boas, masks and t-shirts are also available for purchase.
The main event and highlight for many is the concert at the end of the night in the new Music Plaza, immediately following the parade. Universal brings in a great lineup of bands for these concerts (some of the ones in the past included Daughtry, The Go-Gos, LL Cool J, Kid Rock, Willie Nelson and Heart). Depending on the performer, this area of the park can get very crowded, very quickly and you should expect to be far from the stage if you wait until after the parade to choose your spot. You should choose your parade viewing location carefully as the best viewing areas for the concert fill very quickly, as soon as the parade ends. There are large viewing screens for those in the back of the crowd.
If you find yourself wanting to continue the party, at the end of the night, head over to Universal’s CityWalk and continue the Mardi Gras festivities at Pat O’Brien’s. It's a replica of the original Pat O’Brien’s located in New Orleans where you can enjoy a hurricane (a New Orleans traditional drink - it's strong!) on the patio or sing along in the Piano Bar. At this location, it's Mardi Gras 365 days a year!
The best part about this whole Mardi Gras celebration is that it's free!! As long as you have admission to Universal Studios, you can participate in the festivities. Please keep in mind that the live concerts are held on Saturday and select Sunday nights. Go! You will have an awesome time.
Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler! That's "Let the good times roll!"
Live Concerts at the Main Stage
Showtimes for these concerts follow the parade.
2014 MARDI GRAS TALENT LINE-UP
|Mardi Gras Event Dates||Headliners (performing in the Music Plaza)|
|Saturday, February 8||Daughtry|
|Saturday, February 15||Barenaked Ladies|
|Sunday, February 16||Thomas Rhett|
|Saturday, February 22||Robin Thicke - cancelled due to illness|
|Saturday, March 1||Collective Soul|
|Saturday, March 8||Prince Royce|
|Friday, March 14||Cody Simpson|
|Saturday, March 15||Foreigner|
|Friday, March 21||A Great Big World|
|Saturday, March 22||Gavin DeGraw|
|Friday, March 28||Kelly Rowland|
|Saturday, March 29||Weezer|
|Saturday, April 5||Skillet|
|Saturday, April 12||Lynyrd Skynyrd|
|Saturday, April 19||Kool & The Gang|
|Saturday, May 3||Nelly|
|Saturday, May 10||The Wanted|
|Saturday, May 17||The Roots|
|Saturday, May 24||Cher Lloyd|
|Saturday, May 31||Huey Lewis And The News|
|Saturday, June 7||Robin Thicke|
*All concerts are subject to change
All French Quarter Bands will perform at Mardi Gras in Universal Studios then appear afterwards at Universal CityWalk.
2014 MARDI GRAS TALENT LINE-UP
|Mardi Gras Event Dates||New Orleans Bands (performing in the French Quarter)|
|Saturday, February 8||Remedy Krewe|
|Saturday, February 15||Soul Project|
|Sunday, February 16||Soul Project|
|Saturday, February 22||Rockin' Jake|
|Saturday, March 1||Big Al & The Heavyweights|
|Saturday, March 8||Daddy Mack Blues Band|
|Friday, March 14||Mississippi Rail Company|
|Saturday, March 15||Mississippi Rail Company|
|Friday, March 21||The Big Easy Playboys|
|Saturday, March 22||The Big Easy Playboys|
|Friday, March 28||Dirty Bourbon River Show|
|Saturday, March 29||Dirty Bourbon River Show|
|Saturday, April 5||John Lisi and Delt Funk|
|Saturday, April 12||Beth McKee & The Sliders|
|Saturday, April 19||Gravy|
|Saturday, May 3||Chris O'Leary|
|Saturday, May 10||T Bird & The Breaks|
|Saturday, May 17||Grady Champion|
|Saturday, May 24||Cha Wa|
|Saturday, May 31||Naughty Professor|
- VIDEO: The LEGO Batman Movie Review | DIS POP | 02/17/17 - In this episode of DIS POP, Ryno gives his thoughts and feelings on "The Lego Batman Movie."
- Ticket Prices Increase at Universal Orlando Resort - Park ticket prices have increased at Universal Orlando.
- Nearly 113 Million Tourists Visit Florida in 2016 Breaking the Previous Year's Record - Florida's tourism in 2016 was at an all-time high for the sixth consecutive year, surpassing 2015's record of 106.6 million visitors.
- Disney/Universal Nacho Round-Up - Where to find the best nachos on your Orlando resort vacation.
- Disney and Universal Restaurants Receive Orlando Family Golden Fork Awards - Several Disney and Universal Orlando restaurants made the list of 20 best dishes.
- Longtime Executive Mark Woodbury Appointed as Vice Chairman of Universal Parks and Resorts - A new position of Vice Chairman of Universal Parks & Resorts was created and has been filled by Mark Woodbury who has been with the company for 28 years.
- Universal Orlando and My Disney Family - Read how this Disney family enjoys the differences that Universal Orlando has to offer.
- Take a look at the TapuTapu Wearable - Universal has added the first images of their new technology for Volcano Bay to their website.
- Universal Orlando to Trademark Virtual Line - Universal Orlando is trademarking their new Virtual Line system that will be used with Race Through New York Starring Jimmy Fallon and Volcano Bay.
- Air Travel With an Apprehensive Child - Knowing what triggers anxious or upsetting feelings in your child gives you an opportunity to help them adjust to the situation. Liz Mroz shares some tips for Air travel with an apprehensive child.
- VIDEO: Mardi Gras Parade 2017 | Universal Studios Florida - Universal Mardi Gras is back in 2017 for 50 consecutive nights of beads, food, and fun! Watch the 2017 Universal Orlando Resort Mardi Gras parade!
- VIDEO: Mardi Gras 2017 | Universal Studios Florida - Universal Mardi Gras is back in 2017 for 50 consecutive nights of beads, food, and fun!
- VIDEO: Laissez les bon temps rouler! | Mardi Gras 2017 | Universal Studios - It's the first night of Mardi Gras 2017 at Universal Studios Florida! Craig, Kylie, Ryno, Eli, Oliver, and Spencer are on hand to check out this year's activities that include a festive parade with all new floats, some cajun inspired cuisine, and more!
- Wet 'n Wild Demolition Will Cost Universal Millions - Demolition costs are expected to be around $3 million for the now closed water park.
- Passholders Can Sign Up for Bead Duty at Universal's Mardi Gras - Annual passholders at Universal Orlando can, according to the Orlando Sentinel, sign up to throw beads from parade floats during this year's Mardi Gras celebration.
- VIDEO: Secrets Behind Creature Effects with Nick Dudman & Warwick Davis | A Celebration of Harry Potter 2017 - Watch and hear some amazing behind the scenes stories from Warwick Davis and Nick Dudman, the make-up effects and creature designer for all the Harry Potter films. You'll also learn how Nick and his team brought the wizarding world to life on screen.
- VIDEO: 2017 Full Park Tour and Overview | 4K | Islands of Adventure - Take a virtual full walking tour around Universal Studio's Islands of Adventure theme park.
- Hazmat called to Universal Orlando back of house - WESH 2 is reporting that Hazmat crews were called early Friday morning in response to a chemical issue back of house at Universal Orlando.
- Volcano Bay's Grand Opening will be May 25 - Volcano Bay, Universal's third theme park, will be open to the masses on May 25.
- REVIEW: Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville at Universal CityWalk - Find out what the DIS team thought of their recent dining experience at the popular vacation destination chain.
- Tom Felton coming to A Celebration of Harry Potter 2017 - Tom Felton, the actor who played Draco Malfoy, will be attending Universal's Potter event this year.
- VIDEO: 2017 Full Park Tour and Overview | 4K | Universal Studios Florida - Take a virtual full walking tour around Universal Studios Florida.
- The Race Through New York Starring Jimmy Fallon Pre-Show video is... - Universal released a sneak peek of the Race Through New York Starring Jimmy Fallon pre-show video and it is interesting to say the least.
- What's Happening at Universal - January 2017 - Take a look around construction, testing and more at Universal this January.
- Photo Validation Express begins testing phase - Universal will use Photo Validation Technology to help stop abuse of Universal Express.
- Events and Jason Isaacs announced for A Celebration of Harry Potter 2017 - Final rundown of events taking place during the weekend and the full list of celebrities is now available.
- Universal Orlando raises price of Butterbeer - The price is now $6.99, up from $5.99.
- July 1st, 2018 could be Universal's Aventura Hotel's opening date - Universal Orlando Resort has not confirmed that date, but the company has stated the opening will be in the summer of 2018.