Islands of Adventure Attractions
The Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- Wizarding World of Harry Potter Photos
- First look at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- Wizarding World Map
- A detailed discussion of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter
Harry Potter quickly became an international sensation after author J.K. Rowling released the first book in 1997. With each successive book release, more and more fans were drawn into the rich, fantastic world created by Rowling. It seemed only natural that we would begin to see films adapted from the books, and with the success enjoyed by those films, people began to wonder how much bigger the Harry Potter franchise could grow.
The Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal's Islands of Adventure is the ultimate realization of Rowling's dream. Upon entry, guests are instantly transported to Hogsmeade Village, complete with snow-covered rooftops and the ominous spires of Hogwarts castle in the distance. The atmosphere and sense of depth created by Universal's team of designers is nothing short of astounding, and fans of the Harry Potter universe will find a lot to love here.
Long-time fans of Universal's Islands of Adventure will immediately recognize Dragon Challenge as it's simply Dueling Dragons with a fresh coat of paint. Dragon Challenge is an inverted (meaning that the track is ABOVE you, rather than below you) roller coaster with two trains. This and the Hulk are your best bets when it comes to thrill ride roller coasters at Islands of Adventure.
**As of 10/19/11, Dragon Challenge no longer launches both coasters at the same time. There have been incidents with items falling out of pockets and injuring other riders. Previously, the two coasters were timed so that at certain points in the ride they would pass within 18 inches of each other.
There are restrictions for guests that may be overweight. Each set of cars contains one spot with a double seat belt. In order to ride, you must fit comfortably within the harness.
Flight of the Hippogriff is a family coaster simulating a Hippogriff training flight over the grounds of Hogwarts castle. You will learn how to approach a Hippogriff and you will bow before one. You will fly past Hagrid's hut as you swoop and spiral down and around the grounds of Hogwarts castle. The ride time is about a minute. Younger kids tend to enjoy this ride since they generally aren't tall enough to ride the big boys (Dragon Challenge and the Incredible Hulk Coaster).
Height requirement: 48 inches
This state-of-the-art attraction uses new technology to bring the magic, characters and stories of Harry Potter to life in ways never before experienced. You will see the latest in holographic and animatronic technology.
A "spell" is put on the benches, which is what allows you to fly. There are 4 seats in each bench but each one moves separately. The bleachers lift you up and it appears you fly out of a chimney. On your journey, you will be attacked by a fire breathing dragon, as well as experience a room full of very realistic looking spiders. Dementors chase you with realistic animatronics and video displays and you fly high above the ground with Harry Potter at a Quiddich match.
The ride is intense. Please check the list of warnings before you enter the ride. If you are sensitive to motion, you may not want to ride. There are height and weight restrictions. There is a test seat outside but be aware there is another seat inside that they can test you on before you ride.
If you wear loose fitting shoes you may be asked to remove them or use a rubber band on them. The ride is constantly loading, so you need to be ready when it's your turn. If you don't want to ride Forbidden Journey, we still recommend walking through the queue just to see the details. You will see Hogwarts school, the greenhouse, Dumbledor's office, Gryffindor common room, the Room of Requirement, and others. You can also hear students talking behind closed doors. There are several special effects also to be on the lookout for. Be sure to watch the oil paintings.
They do take your picture on the ride and they are available at the gift shop at the end of the ride.
From the front archway of Hogsmeade to the immensity of Hogwarts castle, The Wizarding World of Harry Potter features the locations listed below:
- At the entrance of Hogsmeade, billowing steam and an iconic whistle signal the arrival of the Hogwarts Express into Hogsmeade station
- Across the way is Zonko's, a joke shop with a collection of tricks and jokes, including Extendable Ears, Boxing Telescopes and Sneakoscopes
- Honeydukes is next door and full of treats like Chocolate Frogs and Bertie Bott's Every-Flavour Beans
- The Three Broomsticks and adjacent Hog's Head pub features traditional British fare and drinks including Butterbeer and pumpkin juice
- Across from the Three Broomsticks is The Owlery, where owls roost and await their next delivery
- The Owl Post sends letters with a certified Hogsmeade postmark and sells official stamps from The Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- Ollivanders wand shop allows guests to experience "the wand choosing them" just like Harry's wand chose him in the film. Guests are immersed in the experience from the moment they step in the doors - the store is filled with wand boxes from floor to ceiling and decorated with colors and details from the books and films. A Wandkeeper asks them a series of questions which allows the guest to be chosen by a wand. If they pick up the wrong wand, a magical mishap will occur!
- Completing Hogsmeade is Dervish and Banges, the magical instruments and equipment shop featuring Quidditch equipment, Triwizard apparel, Spectrespecs and Remembralls
- The first attraction, Dragon Challenge, features a twin high-speed roller coaster with many iconic elements from the Triwizard Tournament
- Next is Flight of the Hippogriff, a family coaster simulating a Hippogriff training flight over the grounds of Hogwarts castle
- Located in Hogwarts castle, Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey is a thrilling new state-of-the-art attraction that uses entirely new technology to bring the magic, characters and stories of Harry Potter to life in ways never before experienced
- Before exiting back into Hogsmeade, Filch's Emporium of Confiscated Goods is full of Ministry of Magic and magical creatures merchandise, Omnioculars, and even remote control Golden Snitches
- Jake's American Bar holds Beer Festival - Taking place in Jake's American Bar and under the Wantilan Pavilion, enjoy sampling more than 50 beers from a selection of popular breweries.
- Portofino Bay to host Harbor Nights Primavera in April - This wine tasting and jazz event will capture the mood and feeling of the Mediterranean.
- Easter dinners announced for Universal resorts - Easter meals will be held at Portofino Bay, Hard Rock Hotel and Royal Pacific.
- VIDEO: Flight of the Hippogriff POV - Flight of the Hippogriff is a family-style roller coaster in The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hogsmeade. Originally, Flight of the Hippogriff was the Flying Unicorn as part of The Lost Continent, but with the change to Harry Potter came a change in the theme of the ride. Nothing was changed in terms of the track itself, but an animatronic Hippogriff and Hagrid's Hut were added to the surrounding area of the ride.
- VIDEO: Cabana Bay Beach Resort at Night - Cabana Bay Beach Resort is a vintage/retro throwback to hotels of the 50s and 60s and really plays to the beach vibe during the day, but the resort comes to life in a different way at night.
- VIDEO: Cabana Bay Beach Resort Lobby, Food Court, Bowling Alley & Gym - Cabana Bay Beach Resort is the latest Loews Hotel to open up at Universal Orlando and it is bringing a retro vibe with modern amenities.
- Universal Orlando raises parking fees - Universal raises prices after Disney raised their parking prices earlier this week.
- Cabana Bay Beach Resort photo gallery - Universal Orlando's newest hotel is now open!
- Cabana Bay Beach Resort now open! - Universals Cabana Bay Beach Resort officially welcomes its first guests today. This brand-new value and moderately-priced property is the fourth on-site hotel at Universal Orlando Resort and evokes the classic, retro-feel of iconic beach resorts from the 1950s and 60s.
- Berlin to perform at April Velvet Sessions - The concert will take place April 24 at the Hard Rock Hotel.
- Blog - Rainy Day Ideas at Universal Orlando
- VIDEO: Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit POV - Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit turns you into the star of your very own music video! Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit roller coaster takes guests on a thrilling ride through 3 brand new, never-before-scene maneuvers and a lift hill at a 90-degree angle all to the soundtrack that you choose!
- Emeril's Orlando and Emeril's Tchoup Chop plan Easter meals - Emeril's Orlando will serve brunch and Emeril's Tchoup Chop will serve Easter dinner.
- Dates announced for Universal's Halloween Horror Nights 2014 - Halloween Horror Nights returns to Universal Orlando for the 24th year.
- 7 nights for the price of 5 at a Universal Partner Hotel, plus an Orlando Flex Ticket! - Guests purchasing this package with accommodations at a Universal Partner Hotel will receive 7 nights for the price of 5! Also included in the package is an Orlando Flex Ticket, which offers admission to Universal Orlando, SeaWorld Orlando, Aquatica, and Wet 'n Wild Orlando.
- VIDEO: Woody Woodpecker's Nuthouse Coaster - Woody Woodpecker's KidZone is the part of Universal Studios Florida that is geared most towards children and one of the highlights in Woody Woodpecker's Nuthouse Coaster. Although it is a kid-sized coaster, the twisted coaster can be fun for all ages!
- VIDEO: Dragon Challenge - Chinese Fireball POV - Dragon Challenge is one of the most thrilling roller coasters at Universal Orlando Resort. Dragon Challenge is based around the Triwizard Tournament from Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.