Portofino Bay Hotel Universal Orlando
Portofino Main | Rooms | Amenities | Recreation | Dining
Portofino Bay Hotel - Recreation
Pools - Among Portofino Bay's many unique offerings are it's three pools -the Beach pool, the Villa pool, and the Hillside Pool (aka the quiet pool).
The Beach pool is best suited for families, as it is larger than the other two pools and features a decent size children's pool and play area (not to mention the slide!). The Villa pool is a bit more tranquil and feature 16 cabanas ($100 per day, $125 with television and VCR). There are three beach-themed cabanas at the Beach pool ($125 per day, $150 with TV an VCR).
A variety of poolside activities at the Beach pool, including ping pong, arts and crafts and games are scheduled throughout the day. Each Saturday at dusk, the hotel features a "dive-in" movie on a large poolside screen. Of course, you could always try your hand at Bocce Ball on the court just outside the Villa pool.
Spa / Fitness Center - Portofino Bay is home to the Mandara Spa, which offers a variety of services ranging from several types of massages (including a 4 hands massage), skin care treatments, and body treatments. This is a large, upscale spa and in our opinion is on par with other premium day spas in the area, and while it's very nice, and the service is good, we don't consider it exceptional.
The prices for the spa are on the high side (not unusual for Spas using Elemis/LaTherapie products). On the low end, a standard 50 minute massage is $120, with the four-hands massage costing $230 for 50 minutes. Facials are extremely expensive by most standards, ranging in price from $110 - $200 for a 50 to 60 minute treatments. As is the trend with many day spas now, the Mandara Spa also offers a 'teen treatment' menu for kids age 13-17. Services range from a 25 minute massage ($75) to a 'surfers scrub' ($70 for 25 minutes). The spa also offers full salon and make up services.
The fitness center is also located at the Mandara Spa. By most hotel standards, this fitness center is large, and well equipped. Fitness center access is $12 per day, $30 for 3 days, and $40 for 5 days. The fitness center is free to club level guests. The spa is open from 7am - 10pm daily, the fitness center from 6am to 10pm daily.
Children's Services - Campo Portofino is the supervised children's activity area for kids ages 4-14. The cost is $12 p/hr per child, and an additional charge of $12 per meal. The camp is open from 5pm - 11:30pm Sun-Thu, and until 12 midnight on Fri and Sat. Reservations are required and can be made through your Dreams Unlimited Travel vacation specialist, or by calling the hotel directly at 407-503-1200.
Golf - For golfers, Portofino Bay guests are provided with special rates and tee times at several area golf courses including the Metro West Golf Club, Mystic Dunes Golf Club and Orange County National Golf Center. Complimentary transportation to the above venues is provided by the hotel.
- - Universal Orlando announced on Thursday that a themed area will open this summer based on the popular television show "The Simpsons." The area, which is being called "Springfield" after the town featured in the show, replaces the former "Back to the Future" attraction that closed in 2007.
- Universal raises ticket prices - Prices have gone up for all of Universal's base and park-to-park ticketing options. This is ahead of the Transformers attraction opening in June.
- Blog - Moving the Needle at the Orlando Theme Parks
- Discounted tickets to Blue Man Group available to Florida teachers - For the 5/24 - 7/7/13 performances, Florida public school teachers can purchase tickets to Blue Man Group for $34 (plus tax) for adults, and $29 (plus tax) for child's tickets.
- Little River Band and Toad the Wet Sprocket will play Velvet Sessions this summer - The last Thursday of every month, this concert is held in the Hard Rock Hotel's lobby.
- Wantilan Luau to be held on Tuesdays and Saturdays for the summer - Beginning June 3, the Wantilan Luau at the Royal Pacific Resort will be held on both Tuesdays and Saturdays during the busy summer season.
- Mother's Day brunches planned at Universal Orlando resorts - The three on-site resorts at Universal Orlando are offering special Mother's Day brunches!
- Performers announced for Universal's Summer Concert Series - Beginning Saturday, June 1 and running Saturday nights through July 6, this concert series will give guests the chance to top off their day in the park with a nighttime mega-concert.
- Transformers to open June 20 at Universal Studios! - The highly anticipated Transformers attraction will open June 20 at Universal Studios!