Portofino Bay Hotel Universal Orlando
Portofino Main | Rooms | Amenities | Recreation | Dining
Portofino Bay Hotel - Recreation
Pools - Among Portofino Bay's many unique offerings are it's three pools -the Beach pool, the Villa pool, and the Hillside Pool (aka the quiet pool).
The Beach pool is best suited for families, as it is larger than the other two pools and features a decent size children's pool and play area (not to mention the slide!). The Villa pool is a bit more tranquil and feature 16 cabanas ($100 per day, $125 with television and VCR). There are three beach-themed cabanas at the Beach pool ($125 per day, $150 with TV an VCR).
A variety of poolside activities at the Beach pool, including ping pong, arts and crafts and games are scheduled throughout the day. Each Saturday at dusk, the hotel features a "dive-in" movie on a large poolside screen. Of course, you could always try your hand at Bocce Ball on the court just outside the Villa pool.
Spa / Fitness Center - Portofino Bay is home to the Mandara Spa, which offers a variety of services ranging from several types of massages (including a 4 hands massage), skin care treatments, and body treatments. This is a large, upscale spa and in our opinion is on par with other premium day spas in the area, and while it's very nice, and the service is good, we don't consider it exceptional.
The prices for the spa are on the high side (not unusual for Spas using Elemis/LaTherapie products). On the low end, a standard 50 minute massage is $120, with the four-hands massage costing $230 for 50 minutes. Facials are extremely expensive by most standards, ranging in price from $110 - $200 for a 50 to 60 minute treatments. As is the trend with many day spas now, the Mandara Spa also offers a 'teen treatment' menu for kids age 13-17. Services range from a 25 minute massage ($75) to a 'surfers scrub' ($70 for 25 minutes). The spa also offers full salon and make up services.
The fitness center is also located at the Mandara Spa. By most hotel standards, this fitness center is large, and well equipped. Fitness center access is $12 per day, $30 for 3 days, and $40 for 5 days. The fitness center is free to club level guests. The spa is open from 7am - 10pm daily, the fitness center from 6am to 10pm daily.
Children's Services - Campo Portofino is the supervised children's activity area for kids ages 4-14. The cost is $12 p/hr per child, and an additional charge of $12 per meal. The camp is open from 5pm - 11:30pm Sun-Thu, and until 12 midnight on Fri and Sat. Reservations are required and can be made through your Dreams Unlimited Travel vacation specialist, or by calling the hotel directly at 407-503-1200.
Golf - For golfers, Portofino Bay guests are provided with special rates and tee times at several area golf courses including the Metro West Golf Club, Mystic Dunes Golf Club and Orange County National Golf Center. Complimentary transportation to the above venues is provided by the hotel.
- Save up to 30% at Universal on-site hotels - Savings are greater depending on the season and length of stay.
- Event packages for A Celebration of Harry Potter now on sale - Fans of the boy wizard will love this three-day event celebrating everything Harry Potter. There will be Q&A sessions with select cast members and filmmakers, a Harry Potter Expo, and of course, the chance to visit Diagon Alley, ride the Hogwarts Express and Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts.
- Universal annual passholders will get early access to Diagon Alley in September - Annual Passholders will get early access to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Diagon Alley on weekday mornings in September. Access will be granted one hour before the scheduled opening time, which is either 8:00 or 9:00am. This is part of Passholder Appreciation Month.
- Bret Michaels to perform at September Velvet Sessions - September's Velvet Sessions celebrates Pinktober, Hard Rock's annual breast cancer awareness campaign.
- Universal Orlando plans for Celebration of Harry Potter - This three-day event will celebrate everything Harry Potter.
- Win a 2 Night / 3 Day stay at the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin! - Answer 3 questions about the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin on our contest page for a chance to WIN!
- Dracula Haunted House planned for Halloween Horror Nights - The haunted house "will be an origin story with gothic scenes showing Vlad the Impaler's transition into Dracula."
- Halloween Horror Nights plans Aliens vs. Predators haunted house - This year is the 10th anniversary of the Aliens vs. Predator film and the 35th anniversary of the Alien film.
- Eve 6 to perform at August Velvet Sessions - The concert will be held Thursday, August 28 in the lobby of the Hard Rock Hotel.
- Hard Rock Hotel to host wine riffs event - A five-course dinner from the hotel's chefs is paired with wines and music.
- "The Purge: Anarchy" to be Halloween Horror Nights Street Experience - Set in the future, the government allows 12 hours every year where all crime is legal, in an effort to keep crime rates below one percent the rest of the year. Citizens must try to survive the night.