Portofino Bay Hotel Universal Orlando
Portofino Main | Rooms | Amenities | Recreation | Dining
Portofino Bay Hotel - Rooms
Rooms at the Portofino Bay are the largest, and most well-appointed rooms of the three Universal Orlando resorts. All rooms (standard rooms) feature 2 queen beds or 1 king bed, large bathroom with Italian marble vanity, 3 telephones (including 1 cordless phone, and 1 bathroom phone), Bloom personal care products, cotton bathrobes, goose-down duvet covers, elegant window treatments and hand crafted Italian furniture made specifically for the Portofino Bay.
Room types are divided between 'standard' and 'premium'. Standard rooms include the garden view and bay view rooms (460 sq. ft.). Premium rooms are slightly larger (490 sq. ft), and have a separate tub and shower in the bathroom. This resort also offers KidSuites (650 sq. ft) which feature a king bed and separate room with either two twin beds or bunk beds for the kids. The kids rooms are themed and have a small table with chairs, as well as a television.
The Portofino Bay features several categories of suites, for those who demand the best. The Portofino Suite ($519 - $679 p/n, 750 sq. ft) is a 1 bedroom suite with an adjoining parlor and seating area. Villa Suites ($814 - $1059 p/n, 1150 sq. ft) feature a slightly larger bedroom, and substantially larger adjoining parlor. The Governatore Suite ($1700 - $2300 p/n, 2100 sq. ft.) would be considered the 'vice presidential' suite in most hotels and features a separate dining area, walk-in closets, whirlpool tub and wet bar, as well as a mini-kitchen. The top of the line suite at the Portofino is known as the Presidente Suite ($1900 - $2500 p/n, 2700 sq. ft). This palatial suite features a fireplace, large master bedroom, outdoor patio, mini-kitchen, whirlpool tub, and wet bar with refrigerator. Additional rooms can be added to make this up to a 4 bedroom suite.
Discounts - Annual passholder and Florida Resident discounts are routinely available on standard, premium rooms and club level rooms, and on occasion, KidSuites. There are never any discounts on the premium suites. While not common, it is not unheard of for guests to get upgraded to one of the better suites at check in. Premium annual passholders are more likely to secure these upgrades, as it is part of the 'perk' package that comes with the pass (these are always based on availability - we recommend that you not expect to get the upgrade). For a list of current discounts and special offers at Universal resorts, CLICK HERE
Club Level Rooms
Club level rooms are the same as premium rooms, but offer access to the Portofino's outstanding club lounge (located just off the main lobby). The 3500 sq. ft. club lounge offers continental breakfast each morning (7-10am), hot and cold hors d'oeuvres (complimentary beer and wine) from 5-7pm, and dessert service from 9pm-10pm. The lounge is open from 7am-10pm, and coffee, bottled water and soft drinks are complimentary and available all day.
The cost of a room on the club floor is anywhere from $100 - $120 more per night. This is rarely a 'deal', and you shouldn't consider club level if you're looking to save money. Instead, the extra cost is justified through the convenience the lounge offers. Although we must admit that service in the club lounge is outstanding, and the offerings during the day are a cut above most of the other concierge lounges we've experienced. The evening hors d'oeuvres service is excellent, and the continental breakfast is usually enough for most people to skip a trip to a restaurant.
Maximum occupancy in rooms with 2 queen beds is 5 people (fifth person requires a rollaway bed at $25 per day). King rooms accommodate up to 3 people (third person requires rollaway bed). Additional charges may apply for more than 2 adults per room. All rooms at this hotel include flat panel TVs, bookshelf entertainment centers, honor bar (with really expensive candy bars), hair dryer and ironing board.
The hotel's 750 guest rooms and suites include:
- Entertainment center with CD Player
- Cotton robes for use during your stay (you'll be charged if you take these home with you)
- Free wireless internet
- DVD Players (club rooms only)
- In room safe
- 3 telephones (including 1 cordless phone and 1 bathroom phone)
- Coffee maker and coffee
- Iron and Ironing board
- Hair dryer and makeup mirror
- Daily newspaper
- Bath and body products by Bloom
- Hard Rock Hotel to host wine riffs event - A five-course dinner from the hotel's chefs is paired with wines and music.
- "The Purge: Anarchy" to be Halloween Horror Nights Street Experience - Set in the future, the government allows 12 hours every year where all crime is legal, in an effort to keep crime rates below one percent the rest of the year. Citizens must try to survive the night.
- Syfy's "Face Off" comes to Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Orlando - Syfy's Face Off comes to life at Halloween Horror Nights as a terrifying new street experience with characters created by some of Hollywood's most talented Special effects makeup artists!
- "From Dusk Till Dawn: The Series" theme for haunted house at Halloween Horror Nights - The drama from the El Ray Network had a 10-episode season last year and is based on a 1996 film with the same name.