Portofino Bay Hotel Universal Orlando
Portofino Main | Rooms | Amenities | Recreation | Dining
Portofino Bay Hotel - Rooms
Rooms at the Portofino Bay are the largest, and most well-appointed rooms of the three Universal Orlando resorts. All rooms (standard rooms) feature 2 queen beds or 1 king bed, large bathroom with Italian marble vanity, 3 telephones (including 1 cordless phone, and 1 bathroom phone), Bloom personal care products, cotton bathrobes, goose-down duvet covers, elegant window treatments and hand crafted Italian furniture made specifically for the Portofino Bay.
Room types are divided between 'standard' and 'premium'. Standard rooms include the garden view and bay view rooms (460 sq. ft.). Premium rooms are slightly larger (490 sq. ft), and have a separate tub and shower in the bathroom. This resort also offers KidSuites (650 sq. ft) which feature a king bed and separate room with either two twin beds or bunk beds for the kids. The kids rooms are themed and have a small table with chairs, as well as a television.
The Portofino Bay features several categories of suites, for those who demand the best. The Portofino Suite ($519 - $679 p/n, 750 sq. ft) is a 1 bedroom suite with an adjoining parlor and seating area. Villa Suites ($814 - $1059 p/n, 1150 sq. ft) feature a slightly larger bedroom, and substantially larger adjoining parlor. The Governatore Suite ($1700 - $2300 p/n, 2100 sq. ft.) would be considered the 'vice presidential' suite in most hotels and features a separate dining area, walk-in closets, whirlpool tub and wet bar, as well as a mini-kitchen. The top of the line suite at the Portofino is known as the Presidente Suite ($1900 - $2500 p/n, 2700 sq. ft). This palatial suite features a fireplace, large master bedroom, outdoor patio, mini-kitchen, whirlpool tub, and wet bar with refrigerator. Additional rooms can be added to make this up to a 4 bedroom suite.
Discounts - Annual passholder and Florida Resident discounts are routinely available on standard, premium rooms and club level rooms, and on occasion, KidSuites. There are never any discounts on the premium suites. While not common, it is not unheard of for guests to get upgraded to one of the better suites at check in. Premium annual passholders are more likely to secure these upgrades, as it is part of the 'perk' package that comes with the pass (these are always based on availability - we recommend that you not expect to get the upgrade). For a list of current discounts and special offers at Universal resorts, CLICK HERE
Club Level Rooms
Club level rooms are the same as premium rooms, but offer access to the Portofino's outstanding club lounge (located just off the main lobby). The 3500 sq. ft. club lounge offers continental breakfast each morning (7-10am), hot and cold hors d'oeuvres (complimentary beer and wine) from 5-7pm, and dessert service from 9pm-10pm. The lounge is open from 7am-10pm, and coffee, bottled water and soft drinks are complimentary and available all day.
The cost of a room on the club floor is anywhere from $100 - $120 more per night. This is rarely a 'deal', and you shouldn't consider club level if you're looking to save money. Instead, the extra cost is justified through the convenience the lounge offers. Although we must admit that service in the club lounge is outstanding, and the offerings during the day are a cut above most of the other concierge lounges we've experienced. The evening hors d'oeuvres service is excellent, and the continental breakfast is usually enough for most people to skip a trip to a restaurant.
Maximum occupancy in rooms with 2 queen beds is 5 people (fifth person requires a rollaway bed at $25 per day). King rooms accommodate up to 3 people (third person requires rollaway bed). Additional charges may apply for more than 2 adults per room. All rooms at this hotel include flat panel TVs, bookshelf entertainment centers, honor bar (with really expensive candy bars), hair dryer and ironing board.
The hotel's 750 guest rooms and suites include:
- Entertainment center with CD Player
- Cotton robes for use during your stay (you'll be charged if you take these home with you)
- Free wireless internet
- DVD Players (club rooms only)
- In room safe
- 3 telephones (including 1 cordless phone and 1 bathroom phone)
- Coffee maker and coffee
- Iron and Ironing board
- Hair dryer and makeup mirror
- Daily newspaper
- Bath and body products by Bloom
- Event packages for A Celebration of Harry Potter now on sale - Fans of the boy wizard will love this three-day event celebrating everything Harry Potter. There will be Q&A sessions with select cast members and filmmakers, a Harry Potter Expo, and of course, the chance to visit Diagon Alley, ride the Hogwarts Express and Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts.
- Universal annual passholders will get early access to Diagon Alley in September - Annual Passholders will get early access to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Diagon Alley on weekday mornings in September. Access will be granted one hour before the scheduled opening time, which is either 8:00 or 9:00am. This is part of Passholder Appreciation Month.
- Bret Michaels to perform at September Velvet Sessions - September's Velvet Sessions celebrates Pinktober, Hard Rock's annual breast cancer awareness campaign.
- Universal Orlando plans for Celebration of Harry Potter - This three-day event will celebrate everything Harry Potter.
- Win a 2 Night / 3 Day stay at the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin! - Answer 3 questions about the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin on our contest page for a chance to WIN!
- Dracula Haunted House planned for Halloween Horror Nights - The haunted house "will be an origin story with gothic scenes showing Vlad the Impaler's transition into Dracula."
- Halloween Horror Nights plans Aliens vs. Predators haunted house - This year is the 10th anniversary of the Aliens vs. Predator film and the 35th anniversary of the Alien film.
- Eve 6 to perform at August Velvet Sessions - The concert will be held Thursday, August 28 in the lobby of the Hard Rock Hotel.
- Hard Rock Hotel to host wine riffs event - A five-course dinner from the hotel's chefs is paired with wines and music.
- "The Purge: Anarchy" to be Halloween Horror Nights Street Experience - Set in the future, the government allows 12 hours every year where all crime is legal, in an effort to keep crime rates below one percent the rest of the year. Citizens must try to survive the night.