Universal Studios Florida Attractions
Woody Woodpecker’s Kid Zone Attractions
The addition of Woody Woodpecker’s KidZone was Universal’s response to the long standing criticism that there was nothing for younger kids at their theme parks.
Combining live shows (Barney, Animal Actors), water attractions (Curious George), a really well done playground (Fievel), and one of Universal’s most enduring characters (E.T.), this area is both a wonderland for the young, and a nice respite for their parents, especially after a day in the parks.
A Day in the Park with Barney
A day in the park with Barney remains a popular stop for the pre-school set. A live stage show featuring the purple dinosaur.
As well as a meet and greet with Barney and a very well done interactive play area ensures that even the most tired and cranky of young kids will have a great time here.
Animal Actors on Location
This show is a MUST SEE for animal lovers. The show uses animals rescued from local shelters that are subsequently trained for work in television and films.
The show highlights how animals are trained, and provides one of the most unique and entertaining live shows in Orlando. This is an open air, under cover amphitheater, and is a good attraction to hit when you need a break or when you're done with everything else.
DIS Discussions about Animal Actors
This attraction was one that was personally supervised by Steven Spielberg. You ride on a "bicycle" (complete with ET in the front basket) in an effort to get ET back to the green planet to save his friends.
The plot follows the movie rather well, and attention to detail (both in the queuing area, and on the ride) are superb, if not a bit dated now that it’s been more than 20 years since the film's initial release.
Nonetheless, it remains a popular attraction and the lines can be long. One word of caution though. When you arrive at ET, don't be misled by the line out front. First, you wait outside, you are brought into a holding area to watch a brief film with Steven Spielberg, then you are put into an indoor queuing area. Even though the indoor queuing area is themed perfectly, the wait can be extreme.
This is a play area for children based on the films “An American Tail” and “An American Tail: Fievel Goes West”. The area is themed with random everyday items as they would be viewed from the perspective of Fievel, the mouse.
In other words, everything is oversized. A variety of slides, tunnels and play areas are creatively woven into the theme. Kids can play, and get wet (so bring bathing suits). This section is primarily designed for young kids (preschoolers) although certain sections do allow for any age.
DIS Discussions about Fievel’s Playground
Woody Woodpeckers Nuthouse Coaster
Height Requirement: 36 inches
A very tame coaster designed for children. Woody has pieced together the track with bits and pieces of wood, in what makes for a well themed, and seemingly enjoyable children’s ride.
It's a short ride (less than 90 seconds), and the line can get rather long. However, this is a welcome addition to KidZone and goes a long way in helping make Universal more "kid-friendly".
Note: Any child who meets the height requirements for the rides but is less than 48 inches must be accompanied by an adult who can assist the child to enter and exit the ride.
DIS Discussions about Woody Woodpeckers Nuthouse Coaster
DIS Discussions about Curious George Goes to Town
- Blog - Holidays at Universal Orlando 2013
- Information on Universal's new Quick Service Dining Plan - Universal offers a couple of dining plan options that allow you to pre-pay for some meals at select dining locations at Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure.
- Red Oven Pizza Bakery opens at Universal CityWalk - Guests can choose from a menu of 10 different oven-baked pizzas at this new quick-service restaurant.
- Special preview rate for Cabana Bay Beach Resort at Universal - The family suites will start at just $134 per night for a three-night stay and only $104 per night for a seven-night stay! This is a 47% savings off the regular prices.
- Blog - Universal Orlando Update – Looking to the Future
- John Hampson and Brian Desveaux of NINE DAYS to perform at Velvet Unplugged - John Hampson and Brian Desveaux of NINE DAYS will be putting on this live acoustic performance in the Hard Rock Hotel's lobby.