Universal Studios Florida Attractions
New York - Universal Studios Orlando
Twister - Ride it Out!
Based on the 1996 film, the Twister attraction is designed to have guests "experience" what it's like to be in the middle of a twister. We’ll overlook the fact that this attraction (like some others at Universal) has nothing to do with the area it is themed against. This is located in the heart of the New York section of the park, but unless my memory fails me, the film took place in Oklahoma.
You are first let in to a viewing area where you see a short film featuring Bill Paxton and Helen Hunt. From there, you enter a queuing area made to look like a town that has just been hit by a tornado (again, a brief film plays), then you hear the "warning sirens" that a tornado is coming. You enter the next sound stage which is set up to mock the "drive in" scene from the movie. Slowly, the wind picks up, it begins to rain (you will get a little wet), and things start getting VERY LOUD and VERY INTENSE (I jumped more than once). Again, this can be VERY frightening to young children. You might want to try this attraction yourself before bringing your kids in.
Lockers Required - Loose articles are not permitted on this ride. Free locker rentals are provided.
This is another attraction in the New York section of the park even though the film took place in London and Cairo. That’s about the only ‘theme’ mistake you’ll find on this exceptionally entertaining and thrilling attraction.
In recent years, Universal has shown itself very adept at Disney-level detail with its newer attractions, and that attention to detail can be found throughout Revenge of the Mummy. While the storyline at work here is a bit weak, and the length of the ride is a bit short, the combination of special effects, speed and surprises combine to make this one of Universal’s most popular attractions.
It should be noted that the ride mechanics used on this attraction are similar to those used at Disneyland’s Indiana Jones Adventure. The ride system, known as LIM (Linear Induction Motors), allow the ride to reach high speeds very quickly (at one point the ride pulls nearly 1.5 G’s). This is also a dark ride, and can be way too intense for younger children or easily frightened adults.
Tip: Absolutely no carry-on items are permitted on the ride, not even small fanny packs attached to your waist. You will be asked to put all bags, packages, and any other loose articles into a locker. The lockers are free for 2-3 hours.
The Blues Brothers
A walk down Delancy Street in the New York section of Universal Orlando may yield one of the most enjoyable live shows you'll find in any theme park.
The Blues Brothers perform regularly throughout the day, covering the songs made popular by the original "Jake and Elwood" (John Belushi and Dan Akroyd). And while the two lead performers do a great job, the real showstopper is the warm up act.
- Universal raises ticket prices - Prices have gone up for all of Universal's base and park-to-park ticketing options. This is ahead of the Transformers attraction opening in June.
- Blog - Moving the Needle at the Orlando Theme Parks
- Discounted tickets to Blue Man Group available to Florida teachers - For the 5/24 - 7/7/13 performances, Florida public school teachers can purchase tickets to Blue Man Group for $34 (plus tax) for adults, and $29 (plus tax) for child's tickets.
- Little River Band and Toad the Wet Sprocket will play Velvet Sessions this summer - The last Thursday of every month, this concert is held in the Hard Rock Hotel's lobby.
- Wantilan Luau to be held on Tuesdays and Saturdays for the summer - Beginning June 3, the Wantilan Luau at the Royal Pacific Resort will be held on both Tuesdays and Saturdays during the busy summer season.
- Mother's Day brunches planned at Universal Orlando resorts - The three on-site resorts at Universal Orlando are offering special Mother's Day brunches!
- Performers announced for Universal's Summer Concert Series - Beginning Saturday, June 1 and running Saturday nights through July 6, this concert series will give guests the chance to top off their day in the park with a nighttime mega-concert.
- Transformers to open June 20 at Universal Studios! - The highly anticipated Transformers attraction will open June 20 at Universal Studios!