Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Hotel
Swan and Dolphin Hotel Main Page
Rooms| Dining | Recreation | Mandara Spa | Transportation | Map | Photos
Make a Reservation
Todd English BlueZoo Restaurant Review
by Kevin Klose
This wonderful addition to the list of restaurants at the Walt Disney World Resort is brought to us by world renowned chef, Todd English. Chef English is known for his restaurants across the country, including Olives in the Bellagio Hotel in Las Vegas. He will soon open the Todd English Restaurant aboard the new luxury liner, the Queen Mary 2.
As for his part of Walt Disney World, it's a fun, upscale addition. The restaurant is located in the spot formerly held by the Coral Cafe on the ground floor of the Walt Disney World Dolphin. Gone are the days of bright beach colors and bright lighting. In there place we have a very hip, adult dining experience. Before we go any further, be prepared, Bluezoo is not inexpensive by any means.
Upon arriving at 7:00pm for our priority seating, we were immediately greeted by the hostess. The view from the podium is very glamorous. You look into a lively bar area with several sleek, contemporary booths along the far wall. The decor is done in various shades of blue with a vaguely aquatic (but very abstract) theme. As we passed through the bar area, to our left is an open kitchen with a raw bar and a specially designed grill (more on that later). We were shown to our table in the elegant dining room. Again, the decor is very sleek and modern with an aquatic flair. Booths line the walls with tables in the center and the dining room looks to hold approximately 140 guests. The windows are draped with silver mesh curtains, and large columns throughout the room are covered with silver tubing. The light fixtures are truly works of art that have to be seen. This evening there was a great deal of excitement over a sculpture sitting on a table. It was colorful and eclectic and had a feel of whimsy about it. When we inquired about the piece of art we were told that it was made entirely out of sugar by Bluzoo’s pastry chef. We quickly understood why it was getting so much buzz.
On to dinner……
One of the first things we noticed is that Bluezoo's menu is heavily weighted towards seafood. The emphasis is on very fresh fish prepared in a wide variety of ways.
To begin, there is a long list of appetizers, soups and salads available as well as the aforementioned raw bar. We chose to begin our meal with the Raw Bar sampler. This carries the hefty price of $40.00 and contained 3 raw oysters, 3 raw littleneck clams, 2 jumbo prawns, a sampling of the seviche of the day, a mussel salad and 2 large stone crab claws. The items included were all of the very highest quality and among the freshest I’ve ever encountered in a restaurant. What set this costly appetizer apart was a selection of 4 dipping sauces. There was a cucumber vinegarette, a bloody mary cocktail sauce (excellent), a red wine vinegarette and guacamole. All 4 were wonderful. In hindsight, we realized that we enjoyed the oysters and shrimp and during our next visit, will order those ala carte.
Also from the appetizers (most in the $7 - $12 range), we tried the New England Clam Chowder, the tartar of tuna and something unique, the roasted beet salad with warm goat cheese. The soup was a surprise to us. It bore very little resemblance to what we know as chowder. The base of the soup was a thin watery broth containing vegetables and clams in the shell. In an evening filled with wonderful tastes and textures, this was the only mis-step. The salad was shared and our wonderful waitress, April, offered to split the salad between two plates. It was a wonderful mix of field greens atop roasted beets with candied walnuts, a garlic crouton and a small serving of warm goat cheese in a very light vinergarette. It was superb! The tuna was prepared elegantly. The finest sushi grade tuna was cubed and seasoned and placed atop a vinegar rice patty. The perfect fusion of Asian flavors made this an appetizer we would definitely order on repeat visits.
For the main course there are quite a few choices (most in the $20 - $35 range), the majority being seafood. There is a chicken and a beef dish available, but these stand alone in a menu dominated by fish entrees. We were told the menu will change frequently depending on what is available and in season, and most choices are complex recipes featuring a variety of tastes and texture. For the purists, there is something called Simply Fish, where you pick the type of fish you would like grilled and then choose a sauce from a list of 4 or 5. Another option is something called Bluezoo's Dancing Fish. As you walk through the bar area and past the grill, there are several fish that look as if they are standing on their tails and dancing over the coals. In reality, they are on an unusual rotisserie system, but it's easy to see where the name comes from.
Everything on the Bluezoo menu is served ala carte, meaning that if you want a side dish to accompany your main course, there is an additional charge (usually in the $7 - $9 range). Our party decided to be a bit adventurous in our exploration of the menu. After our trip through the raw bar selections, we were convinced of the level of freshness evident, so we decided to let you know what else Bluezoo does well. We ordered a wonderful swordfish sitting atop a risotto, and every ala carte side dish to go along with it. The fish, a large, thick slab was done to perfection and absolutely wonderful. And as for the sides, each was outstanding. On our visit we had a lobster and broccoli stuffed cheesy potato, Asian slaw with shrimp, fries tossed with cheeses and spices, sautéed burnished carrots and tempura green beans with a garlic aioli dipping sauce. Each of these was worthy of being ordered. All were very good to excellent.
We finished dinner with a warm chocolate cake and coffee. The chocolate cake is an ‘underdone’ soufflé with a warm, gooey center. It was topped with chocolate sorbet and ‘garnished’ with milk and dark chocolate sauces. While it certainly was a feast for the eyes it was evident that the sorbet topping may be a mistake as the warm chocolate center quickly cooled. This in no way ruined the flavor, but expecting a warm cake and finding it cool does take something away from the total experience. The coffee was the source of some amusement as it was served in a very small cup - thimble size was the phrase of choice.
In addition to a wide variety of coffees, Blue Zoo had an extensive menu of dessert drinks and aperitif’s. There was certainly no lack of choices.
we left the dining room we found that the bar area was
surprisingly busy. Comfortable seating and a wonderful
selection of wines and mixed drinks (including their signature
Zooberry Martini) seemed to invite resort guests to sit
and socialize for a while.
Bluezoo is a very elegant, upscale dining choice. While it offers a very limited children's menu (a simple beef or chicken dish at $10 - $13) it is obviously aimed at adults. We would refer to this as a "special occasion" restaurant. It will appeal to those willing to make dinner the evening's focus as well as those looking to celebrate, have a quiet evening away from the hustle or those just looking to splurge.
Because we wanted to be able to offer the most comprehensive view of this fine new restaurant, we over-ordered. We could have ordered less and still come away very satisfied. Dinner with everything I have mentioned and two cocktails was $177.00. As I stated earlier......a wonderful, but pricey addition to the list of Disney Dining choices.
You can visit their website at www.thebluezoo.com
The English’s bluezoo Receives AAA’s
“Four Diamond” Award
The American Automobile Association (AAA) has awarded Todd English’s bluezoo its Four-Diamond quality restaurant rating. The designation recognizes the restaurant’s extensive array of amenities, combined with a high degree of hospitality, service and attention to detail.
Located in the Walt Disney World Dolphin Hotel, Todd English’s bluezoo features coastal cuisine, incorporating an innovative selection of fresh seafood with both international and New American culinary influences. Designed by highly acclaimed designer Jeffery Beers, the interior offers guests an energetic and vibrant atmosphere with a dash of playfulness.
According to the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Hotel food and beverage director Anthony Porcellini, “We are excited that the Orlando market is taking notice of Todd English’s newest creation. Since its opening, bluezoo has received several awards, applauding its cuisine and design.” He continued, “We work at being the very best, and we’re proud to have received the Four-Diamond rating.”
Four-Diamond establishments are upscale in all areas. Approved restaurants are assigned a quality rating from one to five diamonds. Research confirms that AAA’s members recognize and trust the diamond rating system.In the heart of the Walt Disney World Resort, the award-winning Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is the gateway to Central Florida’s greatest theme parks and attractions. The resort is located between Epcot and Disney-MGM Studios and nearby Disney's Animal Kingdom® Theme Park and Magic Kingdom Park. Guests will discover magical surroundings, superior service, luxurious facilities and all-new guest rooms featuring the Heavenly Bed. There are 17 incredible restaurants and lounges, five pools, white sand beach, two health clubs, tennis, massage therapy, nearby golf and many special Disney benefits, including complimentary transportation to all Walt Disney World Theme Parks and Attractions.
- Anna and Elsa meet and greet moves to Magic Kingdom today - These popular princesses will no longer be seen in Epcot's Norway pavilion.
- Planning to be at Disney World on Easter? - List of church services, dinners and special activities taking place at Walt Disney World on Easter.
- Blog - Ranking our 5 Senses in Disney's Theme Parks
- Spots still available at Tables in Wonderland event on April 19 - This buffet will bring Tables in Wonderland members together during the Festival for dinner and drinks, then you will head to the Flower Power Concert series to hear the sounds of The Grass Roots.
- Menu items for Epcot After Hours Wind Down - Tickets, which can be reserved in advance, include one beverage and a selection of light snacks.
- Rehabs planned for two of Disney's golf courses - Disney's Magnolia Golf Course and Disney's Oak Trail Golf Course will be closed 5/21 - 6/4/2014.
- Guests at the Swan and Dolphin can now book their FastPass+ 60 days in advance - Onsite resort guests and guests at the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin can make FastPass+ reservations up to 60 days in advance. Annual Passholders and offsite guests can make their reservations up to 30 days in advance.
- Blog - Actors Fund Gala Tickets Honoring Disney Theatricals on Sale Now
- Changes to Earl of Sandwich menu - Prices have increased by about 50 cents per sandwich. New sandwiches have been added and others have been removed.
- Epcot After Hours Wind Down lounges to be available - Stick around after IllumiNations for an evening at one of 4 exclusive lounges featuring food and beverages from award-winning Epcot chefs and sommeliers.
- Annual passholders can save up to 35% on WDW hotels, plus get free Memory Maker photos! - Guests will save up to 35% on their room, plus get free Memory Maker digital photos. Discount is valid for travel between 6/16/14 - 8/2/14.
- Blog - VIDEO: Disney reveals first look at animatronics and scenes inside Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
- Meet the Easter Bunny at the Magic Kingdom April 13-20 - The Easter Bunny will also have a special pre-parade appearance on 4/19 and 4/20/14. He will be joined by other springtime characters, dancers and the Azalea Trail Maids.
- Carbon-Freeze Me experience at Star Wars Weekends to offer X-Wing Pilots and more - In addition to the carbonite figure, last year's Stormtrooper will be available, as well as two new figurines - an Alderaan Princess and X-Wing Pilot.
- Blog - Third Annual Easter Egg Display at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
- Easter activities and special dining menus at Walt Disney World resorts - List of events planned at Walt Disney World resorts.
- Blog - Disney Infinity Teases Marvel & Confirms Version 2.0
- October 2014 Walt Disney World park hours released - List of times for parades, fireworks, and park hours.
- Blog - What To Expect When You're...Cruising with Disney and a Baby: Part 2
- Big Thunder Mountain closed for 2 days for rehab - The attraction will be closed 4/7-4/9/14.
- Surprising your family with a trip to Disney? Check out our tips! - Surprising the kids with a Disney vacation is part of the thrill for some parents. Others would love to do it, but aren’t sure how to pull it off. Here are some different approaches to creating that special surprise for your family!
- Blog - New Lawsuit Attacks Disney’s New Disability Access Service
- VIDEO: Illuminations Sparkling Dessert Party at Epcot - Enjoy a special fireworks viewing area and desserts from around World Showcase paired with sparkling wines.
- Tables in Wonderland event at Golden Oak's Markham's restaurant - For this special evening, guests will dine at the exclusive Markham's restaurant at Disney's Golden Oak Club, Walt Disney World's private residential community.
- Blog - Review: Epcot's new IllumiNations Sparkling Dessert Party
- Blog - Review: Epcot Gardens of the World Tour
- Dates announced for Sounds Like Summer Concert series - The Sounds Like Summer Concert Series features some of the greatest tribute bands rockin' to U2, The Bee Gees, the Eagles and many more during select nights from June to July.
- Night of Joy tickets now on sale - Disney's Night of Joy features contemporary Christian performers. The star-studded lineup is always outstanding and features a host of Dove Award and Grammy Award winning artists.
- Blog - DVC Owner To File Class Action Demanding More FastPass+ Experiences
- Blog - Walt Disney World is now selling MagicBands to Offsite Day Guests
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - World Showcase - The American Adventure - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at World Showcase - The American Adventure, February 12, 2014 - Afternoon.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - World Showcase - Italy - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at World Showcase - Italy, February 12, 2014 - Afternoon
- Parking prices increase at Walt Disney World - Prices have increased $2 for each category.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Echo Lake - Academy Hall of Fame - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Echo Lake - Academy Hall of Fame, February 12, 2014 - Morning
- Cirque du Soleil discount offered for Tables in Wonderland members - Discounted tickets are available for performances April 1-May 10 and May 27-June 28, 2014.
- Tables in Wonderland Flower and Garden Festival Special Dining Event - This buffet will bring Tables in Wonderland members together during the Festival for dinner and drinks, then you will head to the Flower Power Concert series to hear the sounds of The Grass Roots.
- Fittipaldi Cup racing event planned for Walt Disney World Speedway - The Exotic Driving Experience and 2014 Rolex 24 winner Christian Fittipaldi are putting on a half-day racing event at the Walt Disney World Speedway.
- Grand Floridian hosts Edible Easter Egg Display - This is the third year the resort has hosted the display of hand-painted edible Easter eggs; the eggs are 16 to 20 inches tall.
- Star Wars-themed character meals at Hollywood Studios! - For a limited time, guests will have the opportunity to dine with Star Wars characters or Disney characters dressed up in their Star Wars costumes.
- New 2015 Disney Crusie Line Destinations - Disney Cruise Line has added new destinations for 2015! For the first time, the Disney Magic will set sail for Northern Europe, visiting the Norwegian fjords, Iceland and the Faroe Islands. Seven- and nine-night sailings will depart from Copenhagen, Denmark and will immerse guests in the Viking history of this mystical land, which served as the backdrop for Disney's blockbuster film Frozen. Sail past mountains, glaciers, geysers and fjords and stop in port cities reminiscent of storybook villages.
- Kouzzina by Cat Cora to close September 30 - A new restaurant will open in its place this fall.
- Blog - Saying Farewell to Mickey's Jammin' Jungle Parade at Animal Kingdom
- Blog - The Dream of Retiring to Central Florida
- Egg-stravaganza Easter egg hunt planned for Epcot - Search for special hidden Disney character "eggs" at Epcot.
- Blog - Review: “Muppets Most Wanted” Now Touring Worldwide and in Theaters!
- Blog - Five Reasons You Should Go See 'Muppets Most Wanted' This Weekend
- Mark Hamill - Luke Skywalker - will be attending Star Wars Weekends! - This will be the actor's first appearance at Star Wars Weekends.
- PEEPS-themed Easter events planned for the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin - The resort will be celebrating a PEEPtastic week 4/16 - 4/20/14.
- Brunch planned to debut new Disney Collection by Vera Bradley design - "Mickey's Perfect Petals" will be showcased at the brunch and will be available for purchase.
- Blog - New Frozen Merchandise at Disney Parks
- Extended preview of Maleficent film at Disney's Hollywood Studios - The upcoming Maleficent film, starring Angelina Jolie, opens in theaters May 30. Theme park guests can see an extended preview of the film beginning April 18 and running through mid-June.
- Food Truck Park to open at Downtown Disney - The Food Truck Park is currently under construction and should open this summer between Bongos and Starbucks.
- Blog - Review: Disney's 'Saving Mr. Banks' Now Available On Blu-ray, DVD, & Digital Download
- Blog - Review: "Frozen" Blu-ray Hits Shelves
- Blog - Top 10 Reasons Why March 18th Is The Best Day Ever For Disney Fans
- Disney one of the world's most disappointing destinations?
- Universal Orlando painters sent to hospital
- Kickstarter campaign hopes to raise money for "Dark Side of Disney" film
- Disney plans four Star Wars children's books
- SeaWorld Orlando offers summer camps for kids
- Walt Disney World offers new contract to unions
- Disneyland restaurants honored by food critics
- SeaWorld to host Viva la Musica Festival
- Disney plans baseball pitching contest for $1 million prize
- Court denies SeaWorld's appeal of OSHA ruling
Today's Theme Park Hours
Epcot Future World:
Epcot World Showcase:
|9:00 - 10:00
9:00 - 9:00
11:00 - 9:00
9:00 - 8:00
9:00 - 7:00
10:00 - 6:00
10:00 - 6:00
Extra Magic Hours Morning: Magic Kingdom