Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Hotel
Swan and Dolphin Hotel Main Page
Rooms| Dining | Recreation | Mandara Spa | Transportation | Map | Photos
Make a Reservation
Todd English BlueZoo Restaurant Review
by Kevin Klose
This wonderful addition to the list of restaurants at the Walt Disney World Resort is brought to us by world renowned chef, Todd English. Chef English is known for his restaurants across the country, including Olives in the Bellagio Hotel in Las Vegas. He will soon open the Todd English Restaurant aboard the new luxury liner, the Queen Mary 2.
As for his part of Walt Disney World, it's a fun, upscale addition. The restaurant is located in the spot formerly held by the Coral Cafe on the ground floor of the Walt Disney World Dolphin. Gone are the days of bright beach colors and bright lighting. In there place we have a very hip, adult dining experience. Before we go any further, be prepared, Bluezoo is not inexpensive by any means.
Upon arriving at 7:00pm for our priority seating, we were immediately greeted by the hostess. The view from the podium is very glamorous. You look into a lively bar area with several sleek, contemporary booths along the far wall. The decor is done in various shades of blue with a vaguely aquatic (but very abstract) theme. As we passed through the bar area, to our left is an open kitchen with a raw bar and a specially designed grill (more on that later). We were shown to our table in the elegant dining room. Again, the decor is very sleek and modern with an aquatic flair. Booths line the walls with tables in the center and the dining room looks to hold approximately 140 guests. The windows are draped with silver mesh curtains, and large columns throughout the room are covered with silver tubing. The light fixtures are truly works of art that have to be seen. This evening there was a great deal of excitement over a sculpture sitting on a table. It was colorful and eclectic and had a feel of whimsy about it. When we inquired about the piece of art we were told that it was made entirely out of sugar by Bluzoo’s pastry chef. We quickly understood why it was getting so much buzz.
On to dinner……
One of the first things we noticed is that Bluezoo's menu is heavily weighted towards seafood. The emphasis is on very fresh fish prepared in a wide variety of ways.
To begin, there is a long list of appetizers, soups and salads available as well as the aforementioned raw bar. We chose to begin our meal with the Raw Bar sampler. This carries the hefty price of $40.00 and contained 3 raw oysters, 3 raw littleneck clams, 2 jumbo prawns, a sampling of the seviche of the day, a mussel salad and 2 large stone crab claws. The items included were all of the very highest quality and among the freshest I’ve ever encountered in a restaurant. What set this costly appetizer apart was a selection of 4 dipping sauces. There was a cucumber vinegarette, a bloody mary cocktail sauce (excellent), a red wine vinegarette and guacamole. All 4 were wonderful. In hindsight, we realized that we enjoyed the oysters and shrimp and during our next visit, will order those ala carte.
Also from the appetizers (most in the $7 - $12 range), we tried the New England Clam Chowder, the tartar of tuna and something unique, the roasted beet salad with warm goat cheese. The soup was a surprise to us. It bore very little resemblance to what we know as chowder. The base of the soup was a thin watery broth containing vegetables and clams in the shell. In an evening filled with wonderful tastes and textures, this was the only mis-step. The salad was shared and our wonderful waitress, April, offered to split the salad between two plates. It was a wonderful mix of field greens atop roasted beets with candied walnuts, a garlic crouton and a small serving of warm goat cheese in a very light vinergarette. It was superb! The tuna was prepared elegantly. The finest sushi grade tuna was cubed and seasoned and placed atop a vinegar rice patty. The perfect fusion of Asian flavors made this an appetizer we would definitely order on repeat visits.
For the main course there are quite a few choices (most in the $20 - $35 range), the majority being seafood. There is a chicken and a beef dish available, but these stand alone in a menu dominated by fish entrees. We were told the menu will change frequently depending on what is available and in season, and most choices are complex recipes featuring a variety of tastes and texture. For the purists, there is something called Simply Fish, where you pick the type of fish you would like grilled and then choose a sauce from a list of 4 or 5. Another option is something called Bluezoo's Dancing Fish. As you walk through the bar area and past the grill, there are several fish that look as if they are standing on their tails and dancing over the coals. In reality, they are on an unusual rotisserie system, but it's easy to see where the name comes from.
Everything on the Bluezoo menu is served ala carte, meaning that if you want a side dish to accompany your main course, there is an additional charge (usually in the $7 - $9 range). Our party decided to be a bit adventurous in our exploration of the menu. After our trip through the raw bar selections, we were convinced of the level of freshness evident, so we decided to let you know what else Bluezoo does well. We ordered a wonderful swordfish sitting atop a risotto, and every ala carte side dish to go along with it. The fish, a large, thick slab was done to perfection and absolutely wonderful. And as for the sides, each was outstanding. On our visit we had a lobster and broccoli stuffed cheesy potato, Asian slaw with shrimp, fries tossed with cheeses and spices, sautéed burnished carrots and tempura green beans with a garlic aioli dipping sauce. Each of these was worthy of being ordered. All were very good to excellent.
We finished dinner with a warm chocolate cake and coffee. The chocolate cake is an ‘underdone’ soufflé with a warm, gooey center. It was topped with chocolate sorbet and ‘garnished’ with milk and dark chocolate sauces. While it certainly was a feast for the eyes it was evident that the sorbet topping may be a mistake as the warm chocolate center quickly cooled. This in no way ruined the flavor, but expecting a warm cake and finding it cool does take something away from the total experience. The coffee was the source of some amusement as it was served in a very small cup - thimble size was the phrase of choice.
In addition to a wide variety of coffees, Blue Zoo had an extensive menu of dessert drinks and aperitif’s. There was certainly no lack of choices.
we left the dining room we found that the bar area was
surprisingly busy. Comfortable seating and a wonderful
selection of wines and mixed drinks (including their signature
Zooberry Martini) seemed to invite resort guests to sit
and socialize for a while.
Bluezoo is a very elegant, upscale dining choice. While it offers a very limited children's menu (a simple beef or chicken dish at $10 - $13) it is obviously aimed at adults. We would refer to this as a "special occasion" restaurant. It will appeal to those willing to make dinner the evening's focus as well as those looking to celebrate, have a quiet evening away from the hustle or those just looking to splurge.
Because we wanted to be able to offer the most comprehensive view of this fine new restaurant, we over-ordered. We could have ordered less and still come away very satisfied. Dinner with everything I have mentioned and two cocktails was $177.00. As I stated earlier......a wonderful, but pricey addition to the list of Disney Dining choices.
You can visit their website at www.thebluezoo.com
The English’s bluezoo Receives AAA’s
“Four Diamond” Award
The American Automobile Association (AAA) has awarded Todd English’s bluezoo its Four-Diamond quality restaurant rating. The designation recognizes the restaurant’s extensive array of amenities, combined with a high degree of hospitality, service and attention to detail.
Located in the Walt Disney World Dolphin Hotel, Todd English’s bluezoo features coastal cuisine, incorporating an innovative selection of fresh seafood with both international and New American culinary influences. Designed by highly acclaimed designer Jeffery Beers, the interior offers guests an energetic and vibrant atmosphere with a dash of playfulness.
According to the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Hotel food and beverage director Anthony Porcellini, “We are excited that the Orlando market is taking notice of Todd English’s newest creation. Since its opening, bluezoo has received several awards, applauding its cuisine and design.” He continued, “We work at being the very best, and we’re proud to have received the Four-Diamond rating.”
Four-Diamond establishments are upscale in all areas. Approved restaurants are assigned a quality rating from one to five diamonds. Research confirms that AAA’s members recognize and trust the diamond rating system.In the heart of the Walt Disney World Resort, the award-winning Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is the gateway to Central Florida’s greatest theme parks and attractions. The resort is located between Epcot and Disney-MGM Studios and nearby Disney's Animal Kingdom® Theme Park and Magic Kingdom Park. Guests will discover magical surroundings, superior service, luxurious facilities and all-new guest rooms featuring the Heavenly Bed. There are 17 incredible restaurants and lounges, five pools, white sand beach, two health clubs, tennis, massage therapy, nearby golf and many special Disney benefits, including complimentary transportation to all Walt Disney World Theme Parks and Attractions.
- All 3 remaining weekends sold out for Harambe Nights - July 26, August 2 and August 9 are sold out.
- Annual passholder discount for Spice Road Table - Through 9/17/14, Annual Passholders can get a 30% discount on their bill.
- 2015 Military Ticket Discount info released - Members of the military can purchase 4-day Magic Your Way tickets with Park Hopper option for $177 each.
- Changes to reservation times for Wishes Dessert Party - Reservations are all being set for 6:00pm, no matter when Wishes is taking place. The dessert party will actually take place one hour before Wishes.
- Frozen Summer Fun Premium package is sold out for all remaining dates - This package gives guests at Frozen Summer Fun Live reserved viewing for several events.
- Wild by Design tour to be discontinued after 9/26/14 - This tour takes place at Disney's Animal Kingdom.
- Fantasy Football Convention coming to ESPN Wide World of Sports - The convention will give attendees access to ESPN talent, a live fantasy football draft and more.
- Blog - Sneak Preview of What's Coming to the 2014 Epcot International Food & Wine Festival
- Dates and pricing released for ICE! at Gaylord Palms - Using two million pounds of ice, this Gaylord Palms Resort special ticket exhibit will be transformed into the North Pole.
- Blog - Disney's Magical Express Age Limit Changes: A Parent's & Teacher's Perspective
- Blog - Five Reasons Why We're Not Seeing "Planes: Fire & Rescue" in Theaters
- Blog updated - I Just Spent $20 on FastPasses! Would You? - The author has taken the tour she discussed in the blog - check out her thoughts to see if she would do this again!
- Harambe Nights sold out this weekend - Harambe Nights is sold out for the weekend of July 19. Tickets are still available for the remaining weekends.
- Blog - July 2014 Magic Kingdom Construction Update
- Information for Food & Wine Festival special dining experiences - book 7/31 - Premium events will be announced July 24 and can be booked on July 31 beginning at 7:00am EST. To book, call 407-WDW-FEST (939-3378).
- Princess Half Marathon fills in less than 24 hours - The Princess Half Marathon, the Princess Enchanted 10K and the Glass Slipper Challenge are sold out, filling less than 24 hours after registration opened.
- Registration now open for Disney's Princess Half Marathon Weekend - Registration is already filling up. Prices are listed here and will go up after a certain date.
- Seats still remaining for Epcot International Food & Wine Festival Sneak Preview - Sample food's from this year's Festival and hear speakers discussing the new marketplaces, special events and more!
- Dolphins at Epcot will be offstage through August 7 - Guests will not be able to see the dolphins at The Seas with Nemo & Friends. The Dolphins in Depth Tour will be unavailable during this time as well.
- Changes in parking due to Downtown Disney Remodel - Speeds in the area will be reduced, as well as lanes closed. Buena Vista Drive will be expanded to 10 lanes.
- Blog - Disney Responds to Disability Access Service Lawsuit
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Magic Kingdom Turnstiles - Main St. Station - Wish you were at Disney today? Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Magic Kingdom Turnstiles - Main St. Station.
- Less than a month left to book a Disney vacation with free dining! - Guests can book a Walt Disney World room and ticket vacation package that includes a stay at a Walt Disney World resort, and receive the Dining Plan for free!
- Backstage package begins today Cirque du Soleil - Package is available for 6:00 performances on Fridays and Saturdays.
- Create a personalized Coca-Cola label at Club Cool - Guests at Walt Disney World will be able to create a personalized label for a 7.5 oz Coca-Cola can.
- Blog - Like This at Walt Disney World? Try That at Universal Orlando.
- Viewing locations for final World Cup games - The final three games will be shown in multiple locations.
- Blog - Some Dos and Don'ts of Frozen Summer Fun
- Candlelight Processional dining package info released - Information includes list of restaurants and approximate prices. Reserved fireworks viewing is not included this year.
- Minor changes to menu at Harambe Nights party - The lamb chops with tamarind pomegranate sauce will no longer be served. A Moroccan beef kefta dish will be served at the buffet after the show instead of the pre-show reception.
- Blog - I Just Spent $20 on FastPasses! Would You?
- It's Tough to be a Bug closes for refurb - The Animal Kingdom attraction will be closed from 7/7/14 - 8/11/14.
- Photos of Oaken's Trading Post and merchandise available at Frozen Summer Fun - We've added merchandise photos and photos of Oaken's Trading Post to our blog on this event.
- VIDEO: Anna and Elsa's Royal Welcome featuring Kristoff at Frozen Summer Fun - Frozen Summer Fun has come to Disney's Hollywood Studios and the first daily event is a Royal Welcome parade for Anna and Elsa with a special appearance by Kristoff. At the end of the parade, the two princesses appear on the Sorcerer Mickey hat stage for a sing-along of "Let It Go" with Olaf!
- New backstage package offered at Cirque du Soleil - This $250 package includes ticket, snacks, gift bag and backstage meet and greet.
- Minimum age lowered to travel solo on Magical Express - The minimum age to travel alone on Magical Express has been lowered to age 12 from age 16.
- Flying Fish Cafe to serve breakfast this fall - Reservations are now being accepted for 10/1 - 12/7/14.
- Florida residents can save 35% on a Room Only reservation - Florida residents can save when booking a room-only reservation at select Walt Disney World resorts for stays most nights July 2014 - September 2014.
- Premium Package added for Frozen Summer Fun Live - Package will include reserved seating and viewing for three of the day's events.
- Changes to PhotoPass print packages at restaurants - Beginning 7/27/14, PhotoPass print packages will no longer be offered table-side at Chef Mickey's, 1900 Park Fare, 'Ohana, Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue, Disney's Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show and Tusker House Restaurant.
- Time schedule announced for Frozen Summer Fun Live at Hollywood Studios - The world of Frozen is taking over Hollywood Studios this summer. Spend the day enjoying these brand-new interactive experiences.
- Extended operating hours for monorail for 4th of July holiday - The monorail will have extended operating hours on July 3-5.
- Garden View Tea Room at Grand Floridian to undergo refurb - Garden View Tea Room closed 6/30/14 - 8/29/14. Perfectly Princess Tea Party will take place at Citricos.
- Partial list of Candlelight Processional narrators announced - Sharon Stone and Ana Gasteyer are new additions this year.
- Blog - Making the Most Out of a Summer Trip to Walt Disney World
- 4th of July Craft beer event at the Swan and Dolphin Hotel - Eight different brews will be on tap as the hotel partners with Cigar City Brewing of Tampa.
- July merchandise events and signings at the Walt Disney World Resort - Disney artists will sign their work at locations around Walt Disney World.
- Two new VIP tours added at Walt Disney World - The Ultimate Day of Thrills - A VIP Tour Experience and The Ultimate Day for Young Families - A VIP Tour Experience will both take guests to three parks, giving them VIP access to several attractions.
- Cinderella's Royal Table to be closed for 2 months - The character dining restaurant will be closed for refurbishment 1/5/2015 - 3/6/2015.
- Blog - FROZEN Summer Fun LIVE! Coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios
- Several dates sold out for Animal Kingdom's Harambe Nights - Premium seating is sold out for all dates. General seating is sold out for 6/28 and 7/5.
- Several changes made to park hours for rest of 2014 - Many changes have been made to Extra Magic Hours, as well as park hours extended and more Fantasmic and Main Street Electrical performances added.
- Several refurb dates planned for Winter Summerland mini golf course - The summer course will be closed for several dates throughout the summer.
- Parking lot construction at Animal Kingdom through September - The lot will be expanded in anticipation of larger crowds with the additions coming to the park.
- Agent P World Showcase Adventure to utilize smartphones - Beginning 6/27/14, the current flip phones will be replaced with smartphones.
- Another new meet and greet location for Snow White - She can now be seen on the front porch of Town Square Theater.
- Blog - Downtown Disney - Land of construction walls and cranes
- Blog - Disney Park Favorites in New Vinylmation Park Starz 3
- Rock Your Summer Side Dance Party at Hollywood Studios - This dance party will take place nightly from 6:00-10:00pm.
- Details for 4th of July at Walt Disney World - The parks will have special fireworks shows and Disney characters dressed in patriotic costumes.
- Ticket discounts for Cirque du Soleil - Discounted tickets are available for performances July 1-19, July 14, July 23-Sept 13, Sept 23-27, 2014.
- Summer discounts available for Walt Disney World golf courses - Play early in the day and save on a round of golf.
- Partial character list scheduled for Villains Unleashed event - Villains can be seen in stage shows, character greetings, and more.
- Price increases to $15/hour at Disney's Children's Activity Centers - This is at Club Disney at the Polynesian, Simba's Cubhouse at Animal Kingdom Lodge, Sandcastle Club at the Beach Club, and Cub's Den at the Wilderness Lodge.
- Tables in Wonderland hosts Epcot Food & Wine Festival Preview Event - Sample food's from this year's Festival and hear speakers discussing the new marketplaces, special events and more.
- Wilderness Lodge main pool closing from 9/3-11/27/14 - Main Pool closed 9/3/2014- 11/27/2014. Guests may use the pool at Fort Wilderness or the Contemporary. Transportation will be provided.
- Disney's second quarter injury report: 12-year-old boy cuts fingers on Pirates ride
- 30 years in prison for man who molested girl at SeaWorld
- Possible agreement reached between Disney and unions
- Disney's CEO Bob Iger honored as CEO of the Year by Chief Executive magazine
- Trattoria al Forno to replace Cat Cora's Kouzzina at Disney World
- Technical glitch causes Universal's Transformers ride to stall
- Report: Monorail evacuated after lightning strike
- Military resource support group launches for Disney cast members
- Magic Kingdom guest got tips of fingers cut off on Pirates of the Caribbean
- Elizabeth Mitchell cast on Once Upon A Time
Today's Theme Park Hours
Epcot Future World:
Epcot World Showcase:
|9:00 - 12:00
9:00 - 9:00
11:00 - 9:00
9:00 - 10:00
9:00 - 8:00
9:00 - 8:00
9:00 - 8:00
Extra Magic Hours Morning: Epcot FW