Disney Resorts Main | Resort Discussion Forum | Room Rates
Contemporary Main Page
Rooms | Dining | Recreation | Transportation
Resort Map | Photos | Video | Review | Get a Quote
This location is closed!
Concourse Steakhouse - Review
August 2004 - by Kevin Klose
Kevin Klose reviews Chef Mickey’s at the Contemporary
We recently found ourselves in Disney's Contemporary Resort on a very rainy Friday evening. Not wanting to leave the hotel due to the weather, we decided to have dinner there. We went through our mental list of options. We were looking for something more than what’s available at the Food and Fun Center. The buffet at Chef Mickey’s sounded good, but due to it’s great popularity, there was too long a wait and Chef Mickey’s gets a bit raucous. The California Grill was not taking any further guests for the evening. It seemed our decision was narrowed to the Concourse Steak House.
Being a local resident, and having our choice of quality steak houses, we had never considered the Concourse Steak House as a dining option. We also remember the very early days when this location was cafeteria style eatery. Let me start by saying that things have changed greatly since the very early 70’s.
Having made the decision to give it a try, we called Disney dining and made priority seating.
The Concourse Steak House is located next to the escalators to the monorail station in Disney's Contemporary Resort Grand Concourse (4th floor), making it a very convenient stop for everyone on Disney property. The restaurant is open to the rest of the Concourse giving diners the opportunity to watch the monorail glide in and out of the hotel. Imagineer Mary Blair’s beautiful 11 story mural, the centerpiece of the Grand Concourse is also on display ( Look for the 5 legged goat in the mural…….I’ll let you in on where it is at the end of the review) In other words, there is not another steak house anywhere with this kind of ambiance.
We arrived at the prescribed 5 minutes before our priority seating to find that there would be a short wait for our table. We took our beeper and walked around a bit. For those looking for a cocktail, the Outer Rim Bar is across the walkway. Bay View Gifts is nearby and if you just want to sit and wait, the view of
After a short wait, our beeper let us know that it was our turn to get a table. There were two of us and we were escorted to a very nice semi-circle booth with a nice high back, very intimate. The menu at the Concourse Steak House is divided into 6 sections. There are Starters, Side Dishes, Steaks >From the Grill, From the Ovens, From the Stoves and Dessert Samples. As the name implies, the menu is heavily weighted with beef entrees. There are 5 beef choices, 2 seafood choices and one each of pork, chicken and pasta.
We each decided to start with the Shellfish Bisque. We would split a salad and then each order an entree. My dinner companion decided on the large portion of filet mignon (8oz. For $27.99) and I ordered the USDA Prime Sirloin (10oz for $18.99) We were served a bowl of wonderfully, creamy bisque which was well stocked with various types of shellfish. It was a very nice way to begin our meal. It is also at this point that we had the only mis-steps in a terrific meal. Just after our soup was served, our server also delivered our salad and some uninspired dinner rolls. Sensing that we were not ready for it, she offered to keep the salad chilled while we enjoyed our bisque. Finishing every drop of the wonderful soup, our server returned with our salad. The salad that was served did not deserve to carry a $5.29 price tag. The varieties of lettuces were turning brown and limp. We decided that we would not keep the salad as served and were going to ask for a replacement. Just as our server approached the table, our entrees were delivered. After explaining our feelings about the salad, a manager approached us asking if there was anything he could do. We asked that the salad be removed from our bill and questioned the timing of the meal. He explained that the restaurant had just recently changed serving styles and that some of the changes needed adjustment. Armed with this knowledge, at the beginning of the next visit I would let the server know how we would like the meal to be paced. This should alleviate any confusion.
After this minor challenge, the Concourse Steak House delivered the best steak I have ever eaten. Each of our entrees were served with roasted garlic smashed potatoes topped with onion frizzles. The steaks were each accompanied by a Cabernet sauce and topped with Red Wine Butter. The steaks were impressive and cooked perfectly. The Cabernet sauce was puddled on the plate and was delicious, especially when it mixed with smashed potatoes. The melting red wine butter added the perfect counterpoint to the grilled beef. The steaks served to us that evening, justified the cost. This was a great meal served in a great location. Our server was attentive to our needs.After cleaning our plates, our server asked about dessert. We were at the point where a heavy dessert would have proved too much, however, dessert is done differently at the Concourse Steak House. Our server showed us a selection of Dessert Samples. These are small 2 or 3 bite dessert selections. We chose a small terrine of chocolate hazelnut mousse and a small citrus cheesecake. This was the perfect end to a great meal.In my opinion, the Concourse Steak House is a great choice for dinner. It’s got a great location with easy access. The prices are a bit steep, but not by theme park standards and after all…..you are on vacation. Go ahead…..splurge.
By the way, when looking for the 5-legged goat, you must take the escalator (located on the 4th floor) up to the monorail platform. During your ascent, look at the mural facing the monorail. Follow up the left side and you should find Imagineer Mary Blair's fanciful 5 legged goat. Happy Hunting.
- Limited Time Magic: Secret Santa Week - Visit the Town Square Christmas Tree on Main Street and see Duffy in his Christmas outfit. Other Disney characters will be located around the park. Get a special decorated keepsake card from each one as a souvenir.
- Limited Time Magic: Tour the Magic Kingdom with Phil Holmes - 25 lucky guests will get to tour the park with current Vice President Phil Holmes.
- Blog - Best Places to View EPCOT’s Illuminations: Reflections of Earth
- VIDEO: Holiday Storytellers - The Canadian Holiday Voyageurs - New to Holidays Around The World 2013 at Epcot in 2013 are the Canadian Holiday Voyageurs. The Canadian Holiday Voyageurs play multiple sets each day filled with Christmas songs done the Canadian way on the Mill Stage.
- Blog - EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW with Jonathan Groff from FROZEN
- Guests at All Star Resorts will no longer receive Key to the World cards - As of 12/2/13, guests at All Star Sports Resort will no longer receive a Key to the World card. All information for the resort and parks will be on the Magic Band you receive when you check in. This will begin at All Star Music on 12/4/13 and at All Star Movies on 12/6/13. This system is already in place at Pop Century.
- VIDEO: it's a small world Holiday Full POV Ride-Through - The happiest cruise that ever sailed gets even merrier for the holidays. it's a small world, the 1964 World's Fair attraction that came to Disneyland in 1966, gets a full overlay for the holiday season including decorations and a new soundtrack!
- Atlanta Braves spring training tickets now on sale - The Atlanta Braves return to ESPN Wide World of Sports for their annual spring training. Tickets are first come/first served and the games take place at Champion Stadium.
- Blog - Give Kids the World Village and Giving Tuesday December 3, 2013
- VIDEO: Gran Fiesta Tour POV Ride-Through - Donald Duck disappears on his way to a Three Caballeros performance in Mexico City and his friends, José Carioca and Panchito Pistoles, set out to search for him.
- Blog - Brewing Now: Joffrey’s Disney Parks Collection of Coffees
- Blog - A Brit’s Perspective – Visiting the UK in Orlando
- Specialty food and drink offered for holidays at Epcot - New this holiday season, each country will be serving a specialty food and drink.
- New bus loop at Magic Kingdom open - In addition to regular single stops, there are several double stops that will accommodate two regular buses or one of the new articulated buses.
- Limited Time Magic: Donate a Duffy the Disney Bear to Toys for Tots - Visit the Once Upon a Toy store or the World of Disney store at Downtown Disney and with every $5 purchase, Disney will donate a Duffy the Disney Bear toy to Toys for Tots.
- Limited Time Magic: Jolly Year of the Ear - Celebrate the season in style with Santa Mickey and Minnie Santa ear hats - only available for a short time at the Emporium at Magic Kingdom.
- Times and dates for Epcot holiday storytellers - Each country has its own special theme that highlights its culture. Storytellers will delight you with tales of their heritage and how the holidays are celebrated in their homeland.
- VIDEO: "Let It Go" from Disney's Frozen in Celebrate the Magic - This holiday season, "Let It Go" from Disney's Frozen is featured in Celebrate the Magic, the nighttime projection show on Cinderella Castle.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Main Street Plaza - Cinderella Castle - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Main Street Plaza - Cinderella Castle November 11, 2013 - Night
- Blog - Happy Thanksgiving from the Magic Kingdom!
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Main Street U.S.A. Bridge - Main Street U.S.A. - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Main Street U.S.A. Bridge - Main Street U.S.A., November 11, 2013 - Night
- Blog - Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom: Turnstile-Free!
- New holiday entertainment for the Canada pavilion at Epcot - Follow the Canadian Holiday Voyageurs on a musical tour to discover the country's holiday customs.
- Blog - Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights 101
- Royal Caribbean is offering a $200 Onboard Credit and 50% Reduced Deposit! - The offer is only available for booking on December 2, 3 and 4, 2013.
- Disney Vacation Club members offered event at Splitsville Luxury Lanes - On December 2 and 9 from 5-6:45pm, the experience will include bowling, shoe rental, a shared appetizer, an entree (or kids' meal), a signature beverage and a special DVC gift.
- Several rehabs added for early 2014 - The Magic Carpets of Aladdin, Festival of the Lion King, Kali River Rapids, and the Studio Backlot Tour have all been added to the rehab list.
- Aulani named Best for Families by Fodor's Travel - Aulani was recently named "Best for Families" by Fodor's Travel in their "Top 10 Hawaiian Resorts for 2013" list.
- Blog - Review: “Frozen”
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Main Street Train Station - Main Street U.S.A. - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Main Street Train Station - Main Street U.S.A., November 11, 2013 - Night
- Limited Time Magic: Thanksgiving Treats Available - Special treats will be available at various locations in the theme parks.
- New Year's Eve dining info for Swan and Dolphin Hotels - The restaurants of the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin will be offering special New Year's Eve menus.
- Walt Disney World Annual Passholders can save up to 37% at select hotels - Discount is valid for travel between 1/4/14-3/18/14, 3/14/14-3/29/14, 1/19/14-3/13/14 and 3/30/14-4/12/14.
- Blog - Why I’m excited to take my baby on a Disney Cruise!
- Limited Time Magic: Jingle Cruise poster giveaway - Celebrate the Jingle Cruise at Magic Kingdom and Disneyland Park with a complimentary mini poster while supplies last.
- Several rehabs scheduled for the Magic Kingdom - Among the closings are The Plaza Restaurant, Pinocchio Village Haus, Tomorrowland Transit Authority People Mover, Barnstormer, and the Liberty Square Riverboat.
- Blog - Disney’s Newest Animated Feature “Frozen” Flurries Into Theme Parks On Both Coasts
- The Comedy Warehouse Holiday Special to return? - Rumors are that the popular holiday version of The Comedy Warehouse will be returning to Hollywood Studios this year.
- Blog - EXCLUSIVE: Nikon becomes the Official Camera of Walt Disney World and Disneyland
- VIDEO: Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party 2013 - What happens when you combine one 30,000 pound, 65 foot tree, one 40 foot star, 5500 twinkling lights, 430 feet of garland, 325 ornaments, 275 feet of strung popcorn, 400 flickering candles, 135 candy canes, 100 gingerbread cookies and the Disney Characters? Why, you have the perfect recipe for Christmas at the Magic Kingdom!
- Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party Photography - Creative photos from Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party
- Christmas dining options for Walt Disney World - All restaurants on property will be open as normal, but some are serving special Christmas menus.
- Thanksgiving dining options at Walt Disney World - All restaurants on property will be open as normal, but some are serving special Thanksgiving menus.
- New looks available for the holidays at Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique - Now through 1/3/14, little girls can choose from a Frozen Package or a Holiday Minnie Package.
- Santa Claus comes to Downtown Disney - At the Marketplace, you'll find Santa Claus waiting to greet you at his chalet in front of the World of Disney store.
- VIDEO: Josh Gad - Voice of Olaf in "Frozen" - Interview - Josh Gad, the voice of Olaf in "Frozen" and "World of Color - Winter Dreams" and Tony Award nominee for "The Book of Mormon", takes a few minutes to talk about how important it was to work on a Disney film that led to a theme park experience and the music behind it all.
- All guests at Pop Century will now use MagicBands - As of 11/14/13, guests at Pop Century will no longer receive a Key to the World card. All information for the resort and parks will be on the Magic Band you receive when you check in.
- Willie Nelson backs out of SeaWorld Orlando's Bands, Brew & BBQ event
- Disney obtains distrbution rights to future Indiana Jones films
- Family sues Disney when woman dies from complications after a fall
- Disney's PhotoPass+ changing to Memory Maker
- WestJet debuts Sorcerer Mickey plane
- Seaworld Orlando's Shamu show closes for 3 months
- Barenaked Ladies cancels SeaWorld concert due to animal rights issue
- 12-year-old girl protests SeaWorld parade float
- SeaWorld plans several events for early 2014
- Guest credit card info stolen by Universal Orlando employee
Today's Theme Park Hours
Epcot Future World:
Epcot World Showcase:
|9:00 - 7:00
9:00 - 9:30
11:00 - 9:30
9:00 - 8:00
9:00 - 7:00
10:00 - 5:00
Extra Magic Hour Evening: Hollywood Studios