Disney Resorts Main | Resort Discussion Forum | Room Rates
Contemporary Main Page
Rooms | Dining | Recreation | Transportation
Resort Map | Photos | Video | Review | Get a Quote
This location is closed!
Concourse Steakhouse - Review
August 2004 - by Kevin Klose
Kevin Klose reviews Chef Mickey’s at the Contemporary
We recently found ourselves in Disney's Contemporary Resort on a very rainy Friday evening. Not wanting to leave the hotel due to the weather, we decided to have dinner there. We went through our mental list of options. We were looking for something more than what’s available at the Food and Fun Center. The buffet at Chef Mickey’s sounded good, but due to it’s great popularity, there was too long a wait and Chef Mickey’s gets a bit raucous. The California Grill was not taking any further guests for the evening. It seemed our decision was narrowed to the Concourse Steak House.
Being a local resident, and having our choice of quality steak houses, we had never considered the Concourse Steak House as a dining option. We also remember the very early days when this location was cafeteria style eatery. Let me start by saying that things have changed greatly since the very early 70’s.
Having made the decision to give it a try, we called Disney dining and made priority seating.
The Concourse Steak House is located next to the escalators to the monorail station in Disney's Contemporary Resort Grand Concourse (4th floor), making it a very convenient stop for everyone on Disney property. The restaurant is open to the rest of the Concourse giving diners the opportunity to watch the monorail glide in and out of the hotel. Imagineer Mary Blair’s beautiful 11 story mural, the centerpiece of the Grand Concourse is also on display ( Look for the 5 legged goat in the mural…….I’ll let you in on where it is at the end of the review) In other words, there is not another steak house anywhere with this kind of ambiance.
We arrived at the prescribed 5 minutes before our priority seating to find that there would be a short wait for our table. We took our beeper and walked around a bit. For those looking for a cocktail, the Outer Rim Bar is across the walkway. Bay View Gifts is nearby and if you just want to sit and wait, the view of
After a short wait, our beeper let us know that it was our turn to get a table. There were two of us and we were escorted to a very nice semi-circle booth with a nice high back, very intimate. The menu at the Concourse Steak House is divided into 6 sections. There are Starters, Side Dishes, Steaks >From the Grill, From the Ovens, From the Stoves and Dessert Samples. As the name implies, the menu is heavily weighted with beef entrees. There are 5 beef choices, 2 seafood choices and one each of pork, chicken and pasta.
We each decided to start with the Shellfish Bisque. We would split a salad and then each order an entree. My dinner companion decided on the large portion of filet mignon (8oz. For $27.99) and I ordered the USDA Prime Sirloin (10oz for $18.99) We were served a bowl of wonderfully, creamy bisque which was well stocked with various types of shellfish. It was a very nice way to begin our meal. It is also at this point that we had the only mis-steps in a terrific meal. Just after our soup was served, our server also delivered our salad and some uninspired dinner rolls. Sensing that we were not ready for it, she offered to keep the salad chilled while we enjoyed our bisque. Finishing every drop of the wonderful soup, our server returned with our salad. The salad that was served did not deserve to carry a $5.29 price tag. The varieties of lettuces were turning brown and limp. We decided that we would not keep the salad as served and were going to ask for a replacement. Just as our server approached the table, our entrees were delivered. After explaining our feelings about the salad, a manager approached us asking if there was anything he could do. We asked that the salad be removed from our bill and questioned the timing of the meal. He explained that the restaurant had just recently changed serving styles and that some of the changes needed adjustment. Armed with this knowledge, at the beginning of the next visit I would let the server know how we would like the meal to be paced. This should alleviate any confusion.
After this minor challenge, the Concourse Steak House delivered the best steak I have ever eaten. Each of our entrees were served with roasted garlic smashed potatoes topped with onion frizzles. The steaks were each accompanied by a Cabernet sauce and topped with Red Wine Butter. The steaks were impressive and cooked perfectly. The Cabernet sauce was puddled on the plate and was delicious, especially when it mixed with smashed potatoes. The melting red wine butter added the perfect counterpoint to the grilled beef. The steaks served to us that evening, justified the cost. This was a great meal served in a great location. Our server was attentive to our needs.After cleaning our plates, our server asked about dessert. We were at the point where a heavy dessert would have proved too much, however, dessert is done differently at the Concourse Steak House. Our server showed us a selection of Dessert Samples. These are small 2 or 3 bite dessert selections. We chose a small terrine of chocolate hazelnut mousse and a small citrus cheesecake. This was the perfect end to a great meal.In my opinion, the Concourse Steak House is a great choice for dinner. It’s got a great location with easy access. The prices are a bit steep, but not by theme park standards and after all…..you are on vacation. Go ahead…..splurge.
By the way, when looking for the 5-legged goat, you must take the escalator (located on the 4th floor) up to the monorail platform. During your ascent, look at the mural facing the monorail. Follow up the left side and you should find Imagineer Mary Blair's fanciful 5 legged goat. Happy Hunting.
- Changes coming to Move It, Shake It, Celebrate It Street Party? - An update is rumored for this parade later this year, possibly around October. Possible changes are new music; Mickey, Minnie, Goofy and Donald moving to the top of the floats; and Stitch joining the fun. Sebastian, Lumiere, and The Mad Hatter will leave the parade.
- During pool rehab, Polynesian guests will have free admission to Blizzard Beach - Originally, the resort guests were just going to be given one-day tickets to the water park, but that has been changed. They will now have complimentary unlimited admission to Blizzard Beach during their stay at the Polynesian.
- List of restaurants participating in the 2015 Disney Dining Plan - This list will be updated as more restaurants are added. Epcot and Downtown Disney restaurants don't normally finalize their participation until later in the year.
- 2015 Magic Your Way Disney World packages released! - A Walt Disney World package is a resort room and theme park admission. The Disney Dining Plan may also be added.
- Happy 15th Birthday to Rock 'n' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith! - The attraction originally opened its doors at Disney’s Hollywood Studios on July 29, 1999.
- Victoria & Albert's will no longer accept Tables in Wonderland - This begins August 1, 2014.
- Summertime Pals Ink & Paint Cel release - This limited release will be available at the event, or pre-order by September 25 at 5:00pm EST.
- Haunted Mansion merchandise shop coming to Magic Kingdom - The former Yankee Trader shop will become a Haunted Mansion merchandise location in the near future. The decor will be inspired by Madame Leota and will carry items from the Haunted Mansion Authentic program, such as apparel, home goods, souvenirs and more.
- Merchandise Events and Artist Appearances/Signings for August - List of authors and artists coming to the theme parks for signings and merchandise releases.
- List of characters updated for Villains Unleashed! event - Over 50 Disney villains will be taking over the park until the 13th hour!
- Beginning today, PhotoPass print packages are no longer offered table-side at character meals - This includes Chef Mickey's, 1900 Park Fare, 'Ohana, Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue, Disney's Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show and Tusker House Restaurant.
- Disney Visa cardholders can book Food & Wine Festival events early - Disney Visa cardholders can book special events two days earlier than the general public - on July 29 and July 30 from 7:00am-11:00pm EST.
- Tables in Wonderland adds blackout dates for several restaurants - The Tables in Wonderland program offers Florida Residents, DVC members and Annual Passholders 20% off of all food and beverage purchases at the participating Disney restaurants.
- Information on Holiday sleigh rides at Fort Wilderness - This horse-drawn "sleigh" ride is a fun way to celebrate the season.
- Marketplace menus for Epot International Food & Wine Festival - List of menu items for the marketplaces set up around World Showcase.
- Rehab planned in November for Magic Carpets of Aladdin - The Magic Kingdom attraction will be closed 11/10 - 11/21/2014.
- Food & Wine Festival Special Dining Experiences released - Bookings for these experiences begin July 31.
- 10 Places to Wait Out a Thunderstorm at Walt Disney World
- Disney Castaway Cay Challenge added to Princess Half Marathon Weekend - Runners who are registered for any of the Disney races (5K or longer) during the Weekend have the option to complete the Disney Castaway Cay Challenge when sailing on the Disney Dream February 23-27.
- Fantasia Miniature Golf Course rehab planned off and on for the next two weeks - Gardens Course closed 7/22-7/25/2014, 7/28-8/1/2014, 8/4-8/8/2014. The Fairways will still be open.
- Blog - I Can Go The Distance: Deciding is one thing, registering is another
- Save up to 30% on a Room Only reservation at Walt Disney World! - Valid for stays most nights 10/4/14 - 11/25/14 and 11/29/14 - 12/23/14.
- 2015 WDW hotel discount released for U.S. Military - Valid for stays most nights 9/28/14 - 10/3/15.
- All 3 remaining weekends sold out for Harambe Nights - July 26, August 2 and August 9 are sold out.
- Annual passholder discount for Spice Road Table - Through 9/17/14, Annual Passholders can get a 30% discount on their bill.
- 2015 Military Ticket Discount info released - Members of the military can purchase 4-day Magic Your Way tickets with Park Hopper option for $177 each.
- Changes to reservation times for Wishes Dessert Party - Reservations are all being set for 6:00pm, no matter when Wishes is taking place. The dessert party will actually take place one hour before Wishes.
- Frozen Summer Fun Premium package is sold out for all remaining dates - This package gives guests at Frozen Summer Fun Live reserved viewing for several events.
- Wild by Design tour to be discontinued after 9/26/14 - This tour takes place at Disney's Animal Kingdom.
- Fantasy Football Convention coming to ESPN Wide World of Sports - The convention will give attendees access to ESPN talent, a live fantasy football draft and more.
- Blog - Sneak Preview of What's Coming to the 2014 Epcot International Food & Wine Festival
- Dates and pricing released for ICE! at Gaylord Palms - Using two million pounds of ice, this Gaylord Palms Resort special ticket exhibit will be transformed into the North Pole.
- Blog - Disney's Magical Express Age Limit Changes: A Parent's & Teacher's Perspective
- Blog - Five Reasons Why We're Not Seeing "Planes: Fire & Rescue" in Theaters
- Blog updated - I Just Spent $20 on FastPasses! Would You? - The author has taken the tour she discussed in the blog - check out her thoughts to see if she would do this again!
- Blog - July 2014 Magic Kingdom Construction Update
- Information for Food & Wine Festival special dining experiences - book 7/31 - Premium events will be announced July 24 and can be booked on July 31 beginning at 7:00am EST. To book, call 407-WDW-FEST (939-3378).
- Princess Half Marathon fills in less than 24 hours - The Princess Half Marathon, the Princess Enchanted 10K and the Glass Slipper Challenge are sold out, filling less than 24 hours after registration opened.
- Dolphins at Epcot will be offstage through August 7 - Guests will not be able to see the dolphins at The Seas with Nemo & Friends. The Dolphins in Depth Tour will be unavailable during this time as well.
- Changes in parking due to Downtown Disney Remodel - Speeds in the area will be reduced, as well as lanes closed. Buena Vista Drive will be expanded to 10 lanes.
- Blog - Disney Responds to Disability Access Service Lawsuit
- Walt Disney World 2015 packages now available to book
- High-speed train will link Shanghai Disneyland to city
- "Clyde and Seamore Take Pirate Island" show cancelled at SeaWorld
- PBS plans Walt Disney biopic
- Release date set for 5th Pirates of the Caribbean film
- Man arrested at Typhoon Lagoon for molesting 4 teenage girls
- Standby line to be cut off in Anna and Elsa meet and greet
- Disney's second quarter injury report: 12-year-old boy cuts fingers on Pirates ride
- 30 years in prison for man who molested girl at SeaWorld
- Possible agreement reached between Disney and unions
Today's Theme Park Hours
Epcot Future World:
Epcot World Showcase:
|9:00 - 11:00
9:00 - 9:00
11:00 - 9:00
9:00 - 10:00
9:00 - 8:00
9:00 - 8:00
9:00 - 8:00
Extra Magic Hours Morning: Animal Kingdom