Disney Resorts Main | Resort Discussion Forum | Room Rates
Contemporary Main Page
Rooms | Dining | Recreation | Transportation
Resort Map | Photos | Video | Review | Get a Quote
This location is closed!
Concourse Steakhouse - Review
August 2004 - by Kevin Klose
Kevin Klose reviews Chef Mickey’s at the Contemporary
We recently found ourselves in Disney's Contemporary Resort on a very rainy Friday evening. Not wanting to leave the hotel due to the weather, we decided to have dinner there. We went through our mental list of options. We were looking for something more than what’s available at the Food and Fun Center. The buffet at Chef Mickey’s sounded good, but due to it’s great popularity, there was too long a wait and Chef Mickey’s gets a bit raucous. The California Grill was not taking any further guests for the evening. It seemed our decision was narrowed to the Concourse Steak House.
Being a local resident, and having our choice of quality steak houses, we had never considered the Concourse Steak House as a dining option. We also remember the very early days when this location was cafeteria style eatery. Let me start by saying that things have changed greatly since the very early 70’s.
Having made the decision to give it a try, we called Disney dining and made priority seating.
The Concourse Steak House is located next to the escalators to the monorail station in Disney's Contemporary Resort Grand Concourse (4th floor), making it a very convenient stop for everyone on Disney property. The restaurant is open to the rest of the Concourse giving diners the opportunity to watch the monorail glide in and out of the hotel. Imagineer Mary Blair’s beautiful 11 story mural, the centerpiece of the Grand Concourse is also on display ( Look for the 5 legged goat in the mural…….I’ll let you in on where it is at the end of the review) In other words, there is not another steak house anywhere with this kind of ambiance.
We arrived at the prescribed 5 minutes before our priority seating to find that there would be a short wait for our table. We took our beeper and walked around a bit. For those looking for a cocktail, the Outer Rim Bar is across the walkway. Bay View Gifts is nearby and if you just want to sit and wait, the view of
After a short wait, our beeper let us know that it was our turn to get a table. There were two of us and we were escorted to a very nice semi-circle booth with a nice high back, very intimate. The menu at the Concourse Steak House is divided into 6 sections. There are Starters, Side Dishes, Steaks >From the Grill, From the Ovens, From the Stoves and Dessert Samples. As the name implies, the menu is heavily weighted with beef entrees. There are 5 beef choices, 2 seafood choices and one each of pork, chicken and pasta.
We each decided to start with the Shellfish Bisque. We would split a salad and then each order an entree. My dinner companion decided on the large portion of filet mignon (8oz. For $27.99) and I ordered the USDA Prime Sirloin (10oz for $18.99) We were served a bowl of wonderfully, creamy bisque which was well stocked with various types of shellfish. It was a very nice way to begin our meal. It is also at this point that we had the only mis-steps in a terrific meal. Just after our soup was served, our server also delivered our salad and some uninspired dinner rolls. Sensing that we were not ready for it, she offered to keep the salad chilled while we enjoyed our bisque. Finishing every drop of the wonderful soup, our server returned with our salad. The salad that was served did not deserve to carry a $5.29 price tag. The varieties of lettuces were turning brown and limp. We decided that we would not keep the salad as served and were going to ask for a replacement. Just as our server approached the table, our entrees were delivered. After explaining our feelings about the salad, a manager approached us asking if there was anything he could do. We asked that the salad be removed from our bill and questioned the timing of the meal. He explained that the restaurant had just recently changed serving styles and that some of the changes needed adjustment. Armed with this knowledge, at the beginning of the next visit I would let the server know how we would like the meal to be paced. This should alleviate any confusion.
After this minor challenge, the Concourse Steak House delivered the best steak I have ever eaten. Each of our entrees were served with roasted garlic smashed potatoes topped with onion frizzles. The steaks were each accompanied by a Cabernet sauce and topped with Red Wine Butter. The steaks were impressive and cooked perfectly. The Cabernet sauce was puddled on the plate and was delicious, especially when it mixed with smashed potatoes. The melting red wine butter added the perfect counterpoint to the grilled beef. The steaks served to us that evening, justified the cost. This was a great meal served in a great location. Our server was attentive to our needs.After cleaning our plates, our server asked about dessert. We were at the point where a heavy dessert would have proved too much, however, dessert is done differently at the Concourse Steak House. Our server showed us a selection of Dessert Samples. These are small 2 or 3 bite dessert selections. We chose a small terrine of chocolate hazelnut mousse and a small citrus cheesecake. This was the perfect end to a great meal.In my opinion, the Concourse Steak House is a great choice for dinner. It’s got a great location with easy access. The prices are a bit steep, but not by theme park standards and after all…..you are on vacation. Go ahead…..splurge.
By the way, when looking for the 5-legged goat, you must take the escalator (located on the 4th floor) up to the monorail platform. During your ascent, look at the mural facing the monorail. Follow up the left side and you should find Imagineer Mary Blair's fanciful 5 legged goat. Happy Hunting.
- Livestream coverage of Star Wars Weekends events - Photos and video of Star Wars Weekends at Disney's Hollywood Studios.
- Blog - Star Wars Weekends 2013 comes to Disney’s Hollywood Studios
- Schedule of artists for the Eat to the Beat concerts - As with all Disney events, themed entertainment is part of the festivities. Visitors to the Food and Wine Festival can "Eat to the Beat!"
- Festival of the Masters dates released for November 2013 - This art festival will be held at Downtown Disney November 8-10, 2013.
- Blog - FIRST LOOK: Disney's MyMagic+ MagicBand - The DIS got a first look at Disney's new MagicBands which are part of their MyMagic+ rollout! Take a look at the photos of the MagicBand and a brief review of what we thought about wearing them...
- Blog - Summer Dooney & Bourke Release Update
- Schedule released for Star Wars Weekends - Schedule for the events during Star Wars Weekends.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Disney's Hollywood Studios - Sunset Boulevard - With our "Disney Park Bench" series, we're giving you a 5-minute break to relax with the sights and sounds of Walt Disney World.
- Free admission to Blizzard Beach for Annual Passholders today! - Today, May 16, Annual Passholders will get complimentary admission to Disney's Blizzard Beach Water Park after 2:00 pm. Complimentary refreshments and giveaways will take place at Lottawatta Lodge.
- Blog - Moving the Needle at the Orlando Theme Parks
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Magic Kingdom - Crystal Palace - With our "Disney Park Bench" series, we're giving you a 5-minute break to relax with the sights and sounds of Walt Disney World.
- Adventurers Outpost meet and greet location opens at Animal Kingdom - The new indoor meet and greet location for Mickey and Minnie is now open in Discovery Island.
- November 2013 Disney World park hours added
- Details released for 2013 Epcot Food and Wine Festival - A Scotland marketplace will be added. Dates for the Party for the Senses, as well as a partial schedule for the Eat to the Beat concerts also released.
- Summer edition coming to Celebrate the Magic show - The summer edition of this show will start later this month, possibly May 24, during the 24-hour Monstrous Summer event.
- Cirque du Soleil closed for refurbishment through May 27 - The next performance of Cirque du Soleil will be May 28.
- Blog - The Contemporary Resort Hotel – Walt Disney World’s Resort Loop Hotels
- Book a trip during the Free Dining promotion! - Free dining is available for check-ins between 9/2 and 9/25/13!
- New operating hours for Splitsville at Downtown Disney - Splitsville, Downtown Disney's luxury bowling alley, has updated its hours of operation.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench Video - Art of Animation - Wheel Well Hotel - With our "Disney Park Bench" series, we're giving you a 5-minute break to relax with the sights and sounds of Walt Disney World.
- Typhoon Lagoon to close for refurbishment - Disney's Typhoon Lagoon water park will be closed from May 12 - May 16 for refurbishment.
- Blog - Merida becomes a Disney Princess (Includes Coronation Video)!
- Limited Time Magic: Make a Moment in Time Out of Mother's Day - Stop by Tren-D or the World of Disney Store at Downtown Disney to see the new collection of watches designed just for the occasion. Moms will receive a flower on Mother's Day when they enter the theme parks.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Coronado Springs - Marina Courtyard - With our "Disney Park Bench" series, we're giving you a 5-minute break to relax with the sights and sounds of Walt Disney World.
- Life-size rancor replica and three one-man shows coming to Star Wars Weekends - Guests will have a photo op with a replica rancor, Jabba the Hut's prized pet. There will also be three one-man shows performed by some of the celebrity guests.
- 30% off Room Only offer available for the general public! - Guests can save up to 30% when they book a Room Only reservation at select Walt Disney World resorts for most nights 8/15/13 - 9/28/13.
- Free Dining offer available for the general public! - Walt Disney World has announced a Free Dining offer for the general public!
- Raglan Road to host Summer Solstice Celebration - Master Chef Kevin Dundon has created the five-course menu for this meal, celebrating the Summer Solstice with fresh, seasonal flavors. Wines have been chosen for each course. Celebrating the Summer Solstice is a time-honored tradition and marks the official start to summer.
- Blog - Disney’s Animal Kingdom’s Split Personality
- Celebrity list updated for Star Wars Weekends - The list of celebrities appearing at Star Wars Weekends later this month has been updated.
- Truckeria Rolling Tacos food truck parked at Downtown Disney this week - Food is available from 6pm - 11pm and will include tacos, chips and salsa.
- Walt Disney World Annual Passholders can save up to 35% at select hotels - Annual passholders can save up to 35% when booking a Room Only reservation at select Walt Disney World hotels. Discount is valid for travel between 6/4/13 - 8/15/13.
- 30% off Room Only offer for Disney Visa cardholders! - Disney Visa cardholders can save up to 30% when they book a Room Only reservation at select Walt Disney World resorts for most nights 8/15/13 - 9/28/13.
- Free Dining offer announced for Disney Visa cardholders! - Disney Visa cardholders can book a Walt Disney World vacation package for 9/2/13 - 9/25/13 and receive the Disney Dining Plan for free!
- Walt Disney World golf courses offer new Players Club program - For $29 per month, members can use the practice ranges for free and take advantage of free daily golf clinics (Monday-Friday) led by PGA-certified golf instructors, as well as receive other discounts.
- Blog - May the Fourth Be with You: Intergalactic Star Wars Shopping
- Limited Time Magic: Celebrate Cinco de Mayo at Epcot - Meet the Three Caballeros, enjoy live music, marionettes, folkloric dancing and songs by Mariachi Cobre.
- Limited Time Magic: Merida Becomes an Official Disney Princess - In a royal coronation ceremony at the Magic Kingdom, Merida (from the film Brave) will be christened as an official Disney Princess.
- Blog - New Disney Dooney & Bourke Release This Summer
- List of performers for 2013 Night of Joy concerts - Disney’s Night of Joy features contemporary Christian performers. The star-studded lineup is always outstanding and features a host of Dove Award and Grammy Award winning artists.
- Blog - Help! A Walt Disney World Vet’s First Time at Disneyland – Part 4
- Former Disney World employee arrested on pornography charges
- Half-hour Toy Story special coming to ABC this fall
- Expedition Cafe to open with SeaWorld's Antarctica exhibit
- Tour company uses wheelchairs to promise front of the line access at Walt Disney World?
- Calfornia adjusts safety citations and fines against Disneyland
- Disney and Electronic Arts to produce Star Wars video games
- Several Disney Junior and Disney XD shows to be available on Netflix
- Universal Orlando officially announces Harry Potter expansion
- Universal plans stilt walking demonstration at Orange County History Center
- Carbon-Freeze Me experience returns to Disney's Star Wars Weekends
Today's Theme Park Hours
Epcot Future World:
Epcot World Showcase:
|9:00 - 1:00
9:00 - 9:00
11:00 - 9:00
9:00 - 10:00
8:00 - 8:00
10:00 - 5:00
10:00 - 5:00
Extra Magic Hour Evening: Animal Kingdom