Disney Restaurant Reservations
Advanced Dining Reservation Tips
Disney offers a variety of dining options ranging from snack carts and counter service locations to fine dining experiences. The “table service” restaurants can be very popular and a table can be difficult to find during peak times.
During the planning of your Disney vacation, we suggest that you take a look at the restaurants offered and make an “advanced dining reservation” (or ADR) for the restaurants of your choice.
We have assembled a list of tips that might help you in getting the reservation you want.
- Be flexible in your dining time. The most popular times will certainly book first. For lunch, that will be 12:00 pm – 2:00 pm and for dinner it will be 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm. The less popular dining times will be easier to secure.
- Be aware of special events surrounding the restaurant of your choice. Getting a window seat at the California Grill (at the Contemporary Resort) during the Wishes fireworks show might take some advanced planning.
- Be practical in booking your family's reservation. Generally breakfast is less expensive than lunch and lunch is less expensive than dinner. Booking a late reservation at one of the breakfast buffets might serve as your mid-day meal allowing you to beat the lunch rush and pay the less expensive amount. The same is true for a late lunch. Booking the last lunch seating might allow you to dine at the restaurant of your choice and pay the lower lunch prices. The other benefit to this is that you might find shorter wait times at the popular attractions during the popular dining times.
- Be prepared to split large parties. Many Disney restaurants have a limited number of tables accommodating large parties. It might be necessary to book two tables for 4 rather than one table for 8. Disney restaurants are usually very accommodating when seating large parties. Just let them know that you booked two tables and they will usually do their best to seat your party at the same table or near one another.
- Be aware that Disney’s dining reservation system is flawed. You might find difficulty in booking a table for two, but have no trouble finding a table for three. The reservation system will attempt to find a table appropriate for your party size and when it doesn’t, it will let the person you are talking to know that there are no available tables. This is often not the case. There may be plenty of space available, but no tables for two. There isn’t a restaurant anywhere that would deny a party of two a table for four if it is available.
Keep in mind that certain times of the year are much more crowded than others. Getting a table during the 2nd week of January will be much easier than getting the same table the week between Christmas and New Year’s Day. Reservations are available 180 days out and 180 days + 10 for guests staying at a Disney Resort. (This extra 10 days allows Disney Resort guests to book all of their ADRs on the same phone call as opposed to calling back each day as the 180 day mark passes) Be aware of the 180 mark and make your ADRs.
- Be persistent. If you are faced with your chosen location being booked, call back at a later time. Plans change and people cancel. Also…keep in mind that most Disney reservations need to be paid in full 45 days prior to arrival. Many reservations are canceled at the last minute. Try calling 45 days prior to your chosen date.
- Be polite. Please cancel unwanted reservations. There is a family just like yours waiting for the reservation that you will not be using. Along the same line…making duplicate reservations for the same time frame so you having dining options rather than a single reservation is frowned upon and bad form. Also - if you don't cancel in time, you will be charged $10 per person.
- Don’t assume that you won’t get what you want. It is often possible to get a last minute reservation at the restaurant of your choice. It is not unheard of to get a table for 8 during peak lunch hours at a popular restaurant. It doesn’t hurt to ask.
- The last tip…..if all else has failed and a reservation just doesn’t happen…try walking up to the podium and ask about being seated. Again, it doesn’t hurt to ask and you never know how many “no shows” have occurred. This is especially true when it is raining. Many guests leave the parks when it begins to rain and restaurants find themselves with empty tables.
We hope these tips and tricks help you get the Disney dining reservation you want.
For all table service restaurant reservations, guests will have to provide a credit card hold. If the reservation needs to be cancelled, but isn't done one day in advance, a $10 per person charge will be made to the card. Reservations must be cancelled up to 11:59pm the day before the reservation to avoid the charge. To cancel, guests can call 407-WDW-CNCL, stop by any table service restaurant front desk, or call 407-WDW-DINE. Reservations can also be made and cancelled online at www.DisneyWorld.com/Dining.
Some locations require pre-payment, such as Hoop-Dee-Do Musical Revue and Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show. If these reservations aren't cancelled one day in advance, the full amount will be charged.
This policy is in place for both Disney owned and operated restaurants, as well as operating participants.
- Blog - The Good and Bad of “Toy Story of TERROR!” on Blu-ray
- American Idol Experience is now closed at Disney's Hollywood Studios - This attraction closed August 30, 2014. No definitive plans have been announced for this space.
- VIDEO: Oogie Boogie's Freaky Funhouse Show at Villains Unleashed - Oogie Boogie's Freaky Funhouse Show at Villains Unleashed brings Vegas to Walt Disney World. Villains Unleashed took over Disney's Hollywood Studios on August 23, 2014 and part of the hard ticket event was Oogie Boogie's Freak Funhouse Show. Oogie Boogie hosts the show that features a sword-swallowing act, daredevil archery and a finale full of fire!
- Refurb closures planned for Walt Disney World water parks - Typhoon Lagoon will be closed 10/26/14-1/3/15 and Blizzard Beach will be closed 1/4/15-3/14/15.
- Top 5 Signature Dining Experiences at the Walt Disney World Resorts - 1,600 listeners and viewers of our DIS Unplugged web-cast voted on their favorite signature restaurants at the Walt Disney World resort hotels.
- Blog - The Top 5 Underutilized Spaces at Walt Disney World
- Starbucks will open at Hollywood Studios in February 2015 - The Trolley Car Cafe will be located along Hollywood Boulevard and be themed like a trolley car station. Disney baked goods and Starbucks La Boulange pastry items will be available. An exact location hasn't been announced.
- VIDEO - Frozen Fireworks Multi-Angle Full Show - “Frozen” Fireworks Spectacular – Everything wraps up at 9:45 p.m. when Anna, Elsa, Kristoff, and Olaf come together at the Sorcerer’s Hat Icon Stage for a grand finale to the day’s festivities, kicking off an awe-inspiring fireworks display set to the glorious music of “Frozen!”
- VIDEO: Star-Lord & Gamora from 'Guardians of the Galaxy' at Villains Unleashed - Peter Quill, aka Star-Lord, and Gamora made their first appearance ever at the Guardians of the Galaxy Awesome Mix Tape Vol. 1 Dance Party during the Villains Unleashed event at Disney's Hollywood Studios.
- Mikala Canoe Club Marina at Polynesian to be closed for refurb - The marina will be closed 9/15 - 9/19/2014. Sail boat/motorized boats and fishing excursions will not be available.
- Entrance 4 to Downtown Disney's parking lot now closed - Entrance 4 (between Cirque du Soleil and DisneyQuest) is now closed permanently. The only entrances are Entrance 2 (across from the Hess Station) and Entrance 5 (across from Typhoon Lagoon).
- VIDEO: Villains Unleashed Opening Ceremony - Villains Unleashed kicked off at Disney's Hollywood Studios with an opening ceremony hosted by Hades, Pain, Panic and Megara from Hercules. Once the stars of the night took the stage they introduced some of the 50 Disney Villains guests could meet at the special hard ticket event.
- VIDEO: Villains Unleashed Event Overview - Over 50 Disney villains took over Disney's Hollywood Studios for the Villains Unleashed Event.
- Times updated for events at Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party - The Party is a specially ticketed event at the Magic Kingdom that begins September 1.
- Villains' Sinister Soiree add-on available for Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party - This special add-on will give guests preferred viewing for Mickey's Boo to You Halloween Parade (8:15pm) and the Happy HalloWishes fireworks show. Lady Tremaine will host a dessert soiree at Cinderella's Royal Table Restaurant for you and some of her friends.
- 5 Elements from the Disney Parks that You'll Find on a Disney Cruise Ship - You have been to the Disney Parks, and you love them. You keep going back for that pixie-dust rush. You can’t imagine a vacation apart from Disney Parks, yet somehow the “old and familiar” is getting a bit old and familiar. This is where the Disney Cruise Line enters. It’s a Disney vacation of a different variety. The dissimilarities are a bit obvious. You’re on a ship in the ocean, visiting foreign places. This is nothing like being landlocked in a park, surrounded by coasters and kiosks. So what can you expect from the Disney Parks to carry over to your cruise?
- Blog - "Villains Unleashed" needs leashing up - Disney's overcrowded hard ticket event leaves guests in long lines most of the night
- Mickey's PhilharMagic refurb extended - The end date has been moved from September 19 to the 28th. The attraction will go down September 8.
- Enchanted Tiki Room going down for refurb in late September - The Magic Kingdom attraction will be closed from 9/27 - 10/3/2014.
- Two Epcot New Year's Eve dining events released - More New Year's Eve events are yet to be released.
- Blog - Beyond Aulani
- Updated operating schedule for monorails - The monorail will have a different operating schedule than normal as an automation upgrade takes place.
- Charging stations for electric vehicles added to Epcot parking lot - Disney has added four Level 2 ChargePoint charging stations to the Journey parking lot at Epcot. Electric vehicles will be charged $.35 per kw/h, with a minimum charge of $1.50.
- Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party tickets sold out on 10/31/14 - Tickets are still available for all other dates.
- New Move it! Shake it! Dance and Play it! Street Party to debut at Magic Kingdom this fall - Stitch and Phineas & Ferb will join the party and Mickey, Minnie, Donald and Goofy will ride on top of giant gift boxes. The soundtrack will feature remixed classic party songs and guests will vote for one of three current hits to be played.
- VIDEO: What's New at Aulani - Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa has many new offerings. Quick service at Ulu Cafe, kids splash zone at Keiki Cove, two new pools, and much more.
- MagicBands can now be purchased without ticket media - The bands are now available for purchase across property.
- Changes to boat schedules at Downtown Disney - Schedules have been changing recently due to construction.
- Blog - The Good and Bad of the "Muppets Most Wanted" Blu-ray
- Ultimate Day VIP Tour available at Epcot Food & Wine Festival - This daylong tour begins at the Festival Center's VIP Lounge and includes champagne, a beverage tasting, six-course tapas-style lunch, wine, private backstage tours, time on Epcot attractions, food and beverage pairings with Disney chefs, VIP seating at the Eat to the Beat Concert Series, and reserved seating for IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth fireworks spectacular.
- Blog - New Golden Oak Outpost Menu is Waffle Fry Heaven
- Sunrise Safari at Animal Kingdom ending 12/28/14 - This tour is exclusive to Animal Kingdom Lodge Kilimanjaro Club Level guests.
- American Idol Experience to close August 30 - No plans have been announced for the space.
- Florida residents save $40 on Cirque du Soleil tickets - Through September and October, Florida residents will save $40 on adult Cirque du Soleil tickets purchased at the box office.
- VIDEO: The Refurbished Capt. Cook's at Polynesian Resort - After a long refurbishment, Capt. Cook's has reopened at the Polynesian Village Resort. Major changes include artwork in the seating area, a new menu, no more ordering off of touch screens and the tragic loss of the Dole Whip self-serve machine.
- American Film Institute at the end of Backlot Tour to close - As of August 17, the American Film Institute Showcase exhibit at the end of the ride will be closed. This exhibit features props and costumes from various films. The gift shop will also close.
- D23 Expo 2015 tickets are now on sale - Tickets for next year's D23 Expo are now on sale. The D23 Expo will be held August 14-16, 2015 at the Anaheim Convention Center.
- Blog - Polynesian Resort's Capt. Cook's quick service restaurant reopens after refurbishment
- Golden Oak Outpost now serving specialty waffle fries - This walk-up stand is located on the backside of Frontierland on the walkway to Adventureland.
- Tower of Terror On-ride videos available with Memory Maker - After riding The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, a video of the guest's ride will be added to their My Disney Experience account. This video is only available to guests who have purchased Memory Maker.
- Win a 2 Night / 3 Day stay at the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin! - Answer 3 questions about the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin on our contest page for a chance to WIN!
- Great Irish Hooley Festival to be held at Downtown Disney - "Hooley" is Irish slang for party or celebration. Celebrate with food, drink and dancing.
- Update coming to My Disney Experience - make dining reservations 20 minutes in advance - A new update will allow guests to make same day dining reservations only 20 minutes in advance.
- Performance times updated for Night of Joy - Disney’s Night of Joy is a hard-ticket event at the Magic Kingdom that features contemporary Christian performers.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Polynesian Resort Lobby - Lobby Waterfall - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at the Polynesian Resort.
- Blog - Haunted Mansion Merchandise Continues to Materialize
- Refurb scheduled this winter for the Haunted Mansion - The attraction will be closed from 12/1 - 12/19/14.
- It's Tough to be a Bug refurb extended until 9/27 - This attraction was originally scheduled to reopen August 11, but will instead stay closed through September 27.
- Yankee Trader shop refurb extended through December - The shop is becoming a Haunted Mansion gift shop.
- Polynesian Resort opens new Dole Whip location
- Popular EPCOT acts to depart this Fall
- Wet 'n Wild employee trapped in pool; now in critical condition
- Star Wars mobile game app released by Disney
- Disney contract approved by part-time employees
- Citation banning whale trainers from water will not be appealed by SeaWorld
- Disney cancels 2014 Festival of the Masters art show
- Radio Disney to shut down stations and lay off employees
- Disney proposes new contract for part-time employees
- SeaWorld announces new habitats for killer whales