Disney's Animal Kingdom
|Animal Kingdom Attractions||Discovery Island|
|Africa||Rafiki's Planet Watch|
AVATAR Land Details And Artwork Announced
Posted: Oct 12, 2013 | Updated: Oct 12, 2013 - 12:28:22 PM
At its first-ever D23 Expo in Japan, Disney released brand new concept art and information about the upcoming AVATAR Land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom at the Walt Disney World Resort. While the working relationship with Disney Imagineering and James Cameron and Lightstorm Entertainment has reportedly been a rocky one, this shows that the project is still on track and well into development stages.
In what is being called the "largest expansion in the history of the park [Disney's Animal Kingdom]", the AVATAR-inspired land will include the landscape of Pandora, with its floating mountains and glowing trees. Imagineers say that guests will also "discover what it feels like to soar into the sky riding a Banshee."
In addition to a new land and new attractions, Imagineers are planning new entertainment for Disney's Animal Kingdom, including a first-ever night time show for the park. The show will include " live music, floating lanterns, water screens and swirling animal imagery." Kilimanjaro Safari will also stay open later and offer a special night time version of the attraction.
More details and information about Animal Kingdom's new AVATAR-inspired land to come as the project moves forward.
DIS Unplugged Blog posted by Leah Zanolla Sep 20, 2011
A surprise came from Burbank, CA when Disney Parks announced a partnership with Fox Entertainment and James Cameron to bring the world of Avatar to the Disney themeparks worldwide. The first such venture will be an Avatar themed land at Disney's Animal Kingdom in Walt Disney World with construction to commence in 2013. Continue after the break to see how the news is being received within the Disney Fan community.
In Disney's video below Bob Iger, President and CEO of the Walt Disney Company; James Cameron, Director of Avatar; Jim Gianopulos, Chairman and CEO of Fox Filmed Entertainment; and Tom Staggs, Chairman Walt Disney Parks and Resorts; discuss the Avatar project coming to Disney Parks.
Original article follows below: A press conference was held at Walt Disney Imagineering with Bob Iger, President and CEO of the Walt Disney Company; Tom Staggs, Chairman Walt Disney Parks and Resorts; Avatar filmaker James Cameron; and Jon Landau, producer for Avatar. During the announcement, Iger said of the new partnership,
"James Cameron is a groundbreaking filmmaker and gifted storyteller who shares our passion for creativity, technological innovation and delivering the best experience possible. With this agreement, we have the extraordinary opportunity to combine James' talent and vision with the imagination and expertise of Disney."
An article on the Official DisneyParks Blog said Disney's Animal Kingdom was chosen in order to give guests the opportunity to experience the worlds of animals and nature - in this case the mythical land and animals of Avatar's world Pandora. Storytelling within Animal Kingdom focuses on living in harmony with the land and animals. These themes also occur in Disney's film Pocahontas, and characters as well as a previous show on Pocahontas were natural fits for Animal Kingdom. So maybe it should be no surprise that Avatar, a film often directly compared to Disney's Pocahontas (such as in the popular mash-up video by Randy Szuch below), would be next to come to Animal Kingdom.
Avatar/Pocahontas Mashup from Randy Szuch on Vimeo. The Disney fan community is still processing the news. Perhaps, not surprisingly, the initial reaction is mixed. In a thread on the DISboards, some posters thought the announcement was a joke, while others were excited for any new attractions coming to Walt Disney World. SIMJUN replied, "I think this is great. The animals will fit right in with the animals that never were theme. The potential for rides is great. Visually it could be beautiful." Whereas GoofyforDisney3 said, "I think it is stupid. Never watched the movie, have no desire to watch the movie and have never met anyone that is such a big fan of the movie that this would be exciting."
Comparisons to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, the year-old land at Islands of Adventure, will inevitably be drawn with any new land proposed at Walt Disney World. A theme park land based on a film franchise [2 new Avatar films were also announced by Cameron] that includes rides, food & beverage, and merchandise sounds awfully familiar to the lucrative cash cow found down the highway in Orlando. Although in fairness, an Avatar themed land at Disney's Animal Kingdom also sounds strikingly similar to the new Cars Land currently under construction and slated for opening in 2012 at Disney California Adventure. Finally, it's unfortunate the details of this deal were not worked out so the announcement coule be made at last month's D23 Expo. This is just the type of jaw-dropping surprise that guests were hoping for from the lackluster Parks and Resorts presentation. Time will tell how this new announcement will shake out, and I'm reserving judgement until I actually see what Walt Disney Imagineering dreams up. My initial reaction is total surprise. I just don't see this one film as having that timeless quality the characters of the Star Wars or Indiana Jones franchises had when they were introduced to the parks. However, I have a sneaking suspicion Disney wanted to jump on the Avatar franchise in order to prevent Pandora from establishing roots next to another world - a Wizarding world, perhaps. I'd love to read your reaction to this news. Does an Avatar themed land at Animal Kingdom excite you? What would you hope to see included in such a land? If this is not the type of expansion you hoped to see, then what would you have liked to see?
News story posted by Leah Zanolla Sep 20, 2011
The Disney Parks Blog has just announced that the popular film AVATAR will be coming to life at Disney's Animal Kingdom. Bob Iger and Tom Staggs held a press conference today to discuss Disney Parks' newest venture, which will happen in cooperation with James Cameron's Lightstorm Entertainment and Fox Filmed Entertainment.
Lightstorm Entertainment and Walt Disney Imagineers will work together to bring the fantasy world to the parks, as construction on the first AVATAR-themed land will begin by 2013. The project is currently in the design phase. According to the Disney Parks Blog, "Disney's Animal Kingdom is a great fit for this project because it was created to give guests the opportunity to experience the worlds of animals and nature - real and mythical - in new ways. Disney's Animal Kingdom also celebrates adventure, living in harmony with nature and environmental stewardship - themes that are deeply rooted in the story of AVATAR."
There are currently two sequels to the film being planned, so the AVATAR world will only have more opportunities to grow as more characters and stories are developed.
Click Here for a No-Obligation Disney Vacation Quote
from Dreams Unlimited Travel
- Blog - Ranking our 5 Senses in Disney's Theme Parks
- Spots still available at Tables in Wonderland event on April 19 - This buffet will bring Tables in Wonderland members together during the Festival for dinner and drinks, then you will head to the Flower Power Concert series to hear the sounds of The Grass Roots.
- Menu items for Epcot After Hours Wind Down - Tickets, which can be reserved in advance, include one beverage and a selection of light snacks.
- Rehabs planned for two of Disney's golf courses - Disney's Magnolia Golf Course and Disney's Oak Trail Golf Course will be closed 5/21 - 6/4/2014.
- Guests at the Swan and Dolphin can now book their FastPass+ 60 days in advance - Onsite resort guests and guests at the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin can make FastPass+ reservations up to 60 days in advance. Annual Passholders and offsite guests can make their reservations up to 30 days in advance.
- Blog - Actors Fund Gala Tickets Honoring Disney Theatricals on Sale Now
- Changes to Earl of Sandwich menu - Prices have increased by about 50 cents per sandwich. New sandwiches have been added and others have been removed.
- Epcot After Hours Wind Down lounges to be available - Stick around after IllumiNations for an evening at one of 4 exclusive lounges featuring food and beverages from award-winning Epcot chefs and sommeliers.
- Annual passholders can save up to 35% on WDW hotels, plus get free Memory Maker photos! - Guests will save up to 35% on their room, plus get free Memory Maker digital photos. Discount is valid for travel between 6/16/14 - 8/2/14.
- Blog - VIDEO: Disney reveals first look at animatronics and scenes inside Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
- Meet the Easter Bunny at the Magic Kingdom April 13-20 - The Easter Bunny will also have a special pre-parade appearance on 4/19 and 4/20/14. He will be joined by other springtime characters, dancers and the Azalea Trail Maids.
- Carbon-Freeze Me experience at Star Wars Weekends to offer X-Wing Pilots and more - In addition to the carbonite figure, last year's Stormtrooper will be available, as well as two new figurines - an Alderaan Princess and X-Wing Pilot.
- Blog - Third Annual Easter Egg Display at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
- Easter activities and special dining menus at Walt Disney World resorts - List of events planned at Walt Disney World resorts.
- Blog - Disney Infinity Teases Marvel & Confirms Version 2.0
- October 2014 Walt Disney World park hours released - List of times for parades, fireworks, and park hours.
- Blog - What To Expect When You're...Cruising with Disney and a Baby: Part 2
- Big Thunder Mountain closed for 2 days for rehab - The attraction will be closed 4/7-4/9/14.
- Surprising your family with a trip to Disney? Check out our tips! - Surprising the kids with a Disney vacation is part of the thrill for some parents. Others would love to do it, but aren’t sure how to pull it off. Here are some different approaches to creating that special surprise for your family!
- Blog - New Lawsuit Attacks Disney’s New Disability Access Service
- VIDEO: Illuminations Sparkling Dessert Party at Epcot - Enjoy a special fireworks viewing area and desserts from around World Showcase paired with sparkling wines.
- Tables in Wonderland event at Golden Oak's Markham's restaurant - For this special evening, guests will dine at the exclusive Markham's restaurant at Disney's Golden Oak Club, Walt Disney World's private residential community.
- Blog - Review: Epcot's new IllumiNations Sparkling Dessert Party
- Blog - Review: Epcot Gardens of the World Tour
- Dates announced for Sounds Like Summer Concert series - The Sounds Like Summer Concert Series features some of the greatest tribute bands rockin' to U2, The Bee Gees, the Eagles and many more during select nights from June to July.
- Night of Joy tickets now on sale - Disney's Night of Joy features contemporary Christian performers. The star-studded lineup is always outstanding and features a host of Dove Award and Grammy Award winning artists.
- Blog - DVC Owner To File Class Action Demanding More FastPass+ Experiences
- Blog - Walt Disney World is now selling MagicBands to Offsite Day Guests
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - World Showcase - The American Adventure - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at World Showcase - The American Adventure, February 12, 2014 - Afternoon.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - World Showcase - Italy - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at World Showcase - Italy, February 12, 2014 - Afternoon
- Parking prices increase at Walt Disney World - Prices have increased $2 for each category.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Echo Lake - Academy Hall of Fame - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Echo Lake - Academy Hall of Fame, February 12, 2014 - Morning
- Cirque du Soleil discount offered for Tables in Wonderland members - Discounted tickets are available for performances April 1-May 10 and May 27-June 28, 2014.
- Tables in Wonderland Flower and Garden Festival Special Dining Event - This buffet will bring Tables in Wonderland members together during the Festival for dinner and drinks, then you will head to the Flower Power Concert series to hear the sounds of The Grass Roots.
- Fittipaldi Cup racing event planned for Walt Disney World Speedway - The Exotic Driving Experience and 2014 Rolex 24 winner Christian Fittipaldi are putting on a half-day racing event at the Walt Disney World Speedway.
- Grand Floridian hosts Edible Easter Egg Display - This is the third year the resort has hosted the display of hand-painted edible Easter eggs; the eggs are 16 to 20 inches tall.
- Star Wars-themed character meals at Hollywood Studios! - For a limited time, guests will have the opportunity to dine with Star Wars characters or Disney characters dressed up in their Star Wars costumes.
- New 2015 Disney Crusie Line Destinations - Disney Cruise Line has added new destinations for 2015! For the first time, the Disney Magic will set sail for Northern Europe, visiting the Norwegian fjords, Iceland and the Faroe Islands. Seven- and nine-night sailings will depart from Copenhagen, Denmark and will immerse guests in the Viking history of this mystical land, which served as the backdrop for Disney's blockbuster film Frozen. Sail past mountains, glaciers, geysers and fjords and stop in port cities reminiscent of storybook villages.
- Kouzzina by Cat Cora to close September 30 - A new restaurant will open in its place this fall.
- Blog - Saying Farewell to Mickey's Jammin' Jungle Parade at Animal Kingdom
- Blog - The Dream of Retiring to Central Florida
- Egg-stravaganza Easter egg hunt planned for Epcot - Search for special hidden Disney character "eggs" at Epcot.
- Blog - Review: “Muppets Most Wanted” Now Touring Worldwide and in Theaters!
- Blog - Five Reasons You Should Go See 'Muppets Most Wanted' This Weekend
- Mark Hamill - Luke Skywalker - will be attending Star Wars Weekends! - This will be the actor's first appearance at Star Wars Weekends.
- PEEPS-themed Easter events planned for the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin - The resort will be celebrating a PEEPtastic week 4/16 - 4/20/14.
- Brunch planned to debut new Disney Collection by Vera Bradley design - "Mickey's Perfect Petals" will be showcased at the brunch and will be available for purchase.
- Blog - New Frozen Merchandise at Disney Parks
- Extended preview of Maleficent film at Disney's Hollywood Studios - The upcoming Maleficent film, starring Angelina Jolie, opens in theaters May 30. Theme park guests can see an extended preview of the film beginning April 18 and running through mid-June.
- Food Truck Park to open at Downtown Disney - The Food Truck Park is currently under construction and should open this summer between Bongos and Starbucks.
- Blog - Review: Disney's 'Saving Mr. Banks' Now Available On Blu-ray, DVD, & Digital Download
- Blog - Review: "Frozen" Blu-ray Hits Shelves
- Blog - Top 10 Reasons Why March 18th Is The Best Day Ever For Disney Fans
- Walt Disney World offers new contract to unions
- Disneyland restaurants honored by food critics
- SeaWorld to host Viva la Musica Festival
- Disney plans baseball pitching contest for $1 million prize
- Court denies SeaWorld's appeal of OSHA ruling
- Samsung Smart TV app available for Disney Parks
- Disney Cruise Line crew member arrested for alleged molestation
- Record number of visitors to Orlando in 2013
- Disney releases CGI video of new Seven Dwarfs Mine Train attraction
- Muppets scavenger hunt game available at Epcot
Today's Theme Park Hours
Epcot Future World:
Epcot World Showcase:
|9:00 - 11:00
9:00 - 9:00
11:00 - 9:00
8:00 - 9:30
9:00 - 8:00
10:00 - 7:00
10:00 - 7:00
Extra Magic Hours Morning: Magic Kingdom
Extra Magic Hour Evening: Epcot FW