"Stitch’s Great Escape" Opening Day Photos
November 16, 2004 - Visitors to the Magic Kingdom were greeted by a huge blowup sculpture of the mischievous Stitch. The loveable Stitch was on the loose to mark the official opening of “Stitch’s Great Escape.”
The biggest surprise came when visitors strolled down Main Street and noticed something wasn’t quite right. It seems that Stitch was up to his usual tricks and toilet papered Cinderella’s Castle during the night. Upon closer inspection, it was discovered that “Stitch is King” was spray painted on one of the turrets.
Fortunately, Stitch was captured and is now safely locked away, or is he? You can find out when you try out the newest attraction in the Magic Kingdom “Stitch’s Great Escape.”
REVIEW by Kevin Klose
Ok….I’ve heard the complaints.
“They have recycled an old attraction.”
“It’s nothing but the Alien Encounter all over again.”
“They’ve even kept Skippy and the Robot.”
Now let me tell you what I think. It’s my opinion that this is a big, old-fashioned HIT. Disney has taken a beloved character and found a place to add him into the Magic Kingdom. I mean c’mon….stop the griping. It’s not like they made Stitch’s Flying Rocket Ships (think Dumbo, Astro Orbiter, Aladdin’s Carpet’s or the flying dinosaurs at Animal Kingdom.)
The physical space in which Stitch now resides hasn’t changed that much since Flight to Mars. It’s still theater in the round. And yes…..the story line is similar to the Alien Encounter Attraction, but there are some great changes. First, the attraction looks great. There is great new signage out front and the smoked glass “portholes” in the facade have been covered. In the first of the two pre-show stops, the video presentation has changed to an animated version featuring the characters from Lilo & Stitch. Pleakley can be heard making the pre-show announcements, the Council Woman is present and Captain Gantuu tells us to be brave.
The “plot” of Stitch’s Great Escape is that we, the riders, are new recruits in an inter-galactic security system. We will be transporting “space criminals” to a secure location. In the 2nd of the two pre-shows, we are given a demonstration of the transporting device.
It’s in this show that it occurred to me that Disney fans are a tough group to please. We’ve all heard that they haven’t changed the attraction enough, but we’ve also heard that they shouldn’t have changed the attraction at all. Well, it looks like Disney tried to please both groups this time. S.I.R, the robot from Alien Encounter has changed. He is now an inter-galactic policeman, in charge of receiving prisoners. He has been given a uniform and some additional facial features. He’s also been given some funny lines. Also, back for an encore is Skippy, the plucky little space creature who has the misfortune of being the test pilot again..
During this demonstration, we learn that as new recruits, we will be handling level one criminals as we are not ready for level two. Prior to moving to the transportation room, we find that a LEVEL THREE criminal is being sent and that we must hurry into the room, as it will take all of us to keep him in line. The seating is same as that used in Alien Encounter. There is a device which lowers onto your shoulders It is important to follow the directions as to how to proceed as this device is lowered. It will effect your enjoyment of the show.
Some things you should know…it does get very dark in the theater, several times during the show. There are some funny-scary things that happen, but when you are 5 and not happy in the dark…they are just plain scary. And…here’s the best….if you sit in the lowest, two front rows…there is a pretty good chance that Stitch will spit on you. How cool is that?
I don’t want to give away too much of the show. There are some great new lighting effects. The Stitch audioanimatronic figure made me laugh out loud. The effects used throughout the show are cool. They have been used in other Disney World attractions, but are put to very good use here too. And as usual….you exit the attraction into the shop featuring all the new Stitch merchandise.
For those that want to know this kinda stuff....the attraction lasts for 18 minutes and 34 seconds, from door to door. If you are looking for this generation’s Haunted Mansion or Pirate of the Caribbean , this isn’t it.
If you are looking for another great Magic Kingdom experience, give Stitch a chance.
- Haunted Mansion merchandise shop coming to Magic Kingdom - The former Yankee Trader shop will become a Haunted Mansion merchandise location in the near future. The decor will be inspired by Madame Leota and will carry items from the Haunted Mansion Authentic program, such as apparel, home goods, souvenirs and more.
- Merchandise Events and Artist Appearances/Signings for August - List of authors and artists coming to the theme parks for signings and merchandise releases.
- List of characters updated for Villains Unleashed! event - Over 50 Disney villains will be taking over the park until the 13th hour!
- Beginning today, PhotoPass print packages are no longer offered table-side at character meals - This includes Chef Mickey's, 1900 Park Fare, 'Ohana, Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue, Disney's Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show and Tusker House Restaurant.
- Disney Visa cardholders can book Food & Wine Festival events early - Disney Visa cardholders can book special events two days earlier than the general public - on July 29 and July 30 from 7:00am-11:00pm EST.
- Tables in Wonderland adds blackout dates for several restaurants - The Tables in Wonderland program offers Florida Residents, DVC members and Annual Passholders 20% off of all food and beverage purchases at the participating Disney restaurants.
- Information on Holiday sleigh rides at Fort Wilderness - This horse-drawn "sleigh" ride is a fun way to celebrate the season.
- Marketplace menus for Epot International Food & Wine Festival - List of menu items for the marketplaces set up around World Showcase.
- Rehab planned in November for Magic Carpets of Aladdin - The Magic Kingdom attraction will be closed 11/10 - 11/21/2014.
- Food & Wine Festival Special Dining Experiences released - Bookings for these experiences begin July 31.
- 10 Places to Wait Out a Thunderstorm at Walt Disney World
- Disney Castaway Cay Challenge added to Princess Half Marathon Weekend - Runners who are registered for any of the Disney races (5K or longer) during the Weekend have the option to complete the Disney Castaway Cay Challenge when sailing on the Disney Dream February 23-27.
- Fantasia Miniature Golf Course rehab planned off and on for the next two weeks - Gardens Course closed 7/22-7/25/2014, 7/28-8/1/2014, 8/4-8/8/2014. The Fairways will still be open.
- Blog - I Can Go The Distance: Deciding is one thing, registering is another
- Save up to 30% on a Room Only reservation at Walt Disney World! - Valid for stays most nights 10/4/14 - 11/25/14 and 11/29/14 - 12/23/14.
- 2015 WDW hotel discount released for U.S. Military - Valid for stays most nights 9/28/14 - 10/3/15.
- All 3 remaining weekends sold out for Harambe Nights - July 26, August 2 and August 9 are sold out.
- Annual passholder discount for Spice Road Table - Through 9/17/14, Annual Passholders can get a 30% discount on their bill.
- 2015 Military Ticket Discount info released - Members of the military can purchase 4-day Magic Your Way tickets with Park Hopper option for $177 each.
- Changes to reservation times for Wishes Dessert Party - Reservations are all being set for 6:00pm, no matter when Wishes is taking place. The dessert party will actually take place one hour before Wishes.
- Frozen Summer Fun Premium package is sold out for all remaining dates - This package gives guests at Frozen Summer Fun Live reserved viewing for several events.
- Wild by Design tour to be discontinued after 9/26/14 - This tour takes place at Disney's Animal Kingdom.
- Fantasy Football Convention coming to ESPN Wide World of Sports - The convention will give attendees access to ESPN talent, a live fantasy football draft and more.
- Blog - Sneak Preview of What's Coming to the 2014 Epcot International Food & Wine Festival
- Dates and pricing released for ICE! at Gaylord Palms - Using two million pounds of ice, this Gaylord Palms Resort special ticket exhibit will be transformed into the North Pole.
- Blog - Disney's Magical Express Age Limit Changes: A Parent's & Teacher's Perspective
- Blog - Five Reasons Why We're Not Seeing "Planes: Fire & Rescue" in Theaters
- Blog updated - I Just Spent $20 on FastPasses! Would You? - The author has taken the tour she discussed in the blog - check out her thoughts to see if she would do this again!
- Blog - July 2014 Magic Kingdom Construction Update
- Information for Food & Wine Festival special dining experiences - book 7/31 - Premium events will be announced July 24 and can be booked on July 31 beginning at 7:00am EST. To book, call 407-WDW-FEST (939-3378).
- Princess Half Marathon fills in less than 24 hours - The Princess Half Marathon, the Princess Enchanted 10K and the Glass Slipper Challenge are sold out, filling less than 24 hours after registration opened.
- Dolphins at Epcot will be offstage through August 7 - Guests will not be able to see the dolphins at The Seas with Nemo & Friends. The Dolphins in Depth Tour will be unavailable during this time as well.
- Changes in parking due to Downtown Disney Remodel - Speeds in the area will be reduced, as well as lanes closed. Buena Vista Drive will be expanded to 10 lanes.
- Blog - Disney Responds to Disability Access Service Lawsuit
- "Clyde and Seamore Take Pirate Island" show cancelled at SeaWorld
- PBS plans Walt Disney biopic
- Release date set for 5th Pirates of the Caribbean film
- Man arrested at Typhoon Lagoon for molesting 4 teenage girls
- Standby line to be cut off in Anna and Elsa meet and greet
- Disney's second quarter injury report: 12-year-old boy cuts fingers on Pirates ride
- 30 years in prison for man who molested girl at SeaWorld
- Possible agreement reached between Disney and unions
- Disney's CEO Bob Iger honored as CEO of the Year by Chief Executive magazine
- Trattoria al Forno to replace Cat Cora's Kouzzina at Disney World
Today's Theme Park Hours
Epcot Future World:
Epcot World Showcase:
|9:00 - 11:00
9:00 - 9:00
11:00 - 9:00
9:00 - 10:00
9:00 - 7:00
9:00 - 8:00
9:00 - 8:00
Extra Magic Hour Evening: Hollywood Studios