"Stitch’s Great Escape" Opening Day Photos
November 16, 2004 - Visitors to the Magic Kingdom were greeted by a huge blowup sculpture of the mischievous Stitch. The loveable Stitch was on the loose to mark the official opening of “Stitch’s Great Escape.”
The biggest surprise came when visitors strolled down Main Street and noticed something wasn’t quite right. It seems that Stitch was up to his usual tricks and toilet papered Cinderella’s Castle during the night. Upon closer inspection, it was discovered that “Stitch is King” was spray painted on one of the turrets.
Fortunately, Stitch was captured and is now safely locked away, or is he? You can find out when you try out the newest attraction in the Magic Kingdom “Stitch’s Great Escape.”
REVIEW by Kevin Klose
Ok….I’ve heard the complaints.
“They have recycled an old attraction.”
“It’s nothing but the Alien Encounter all over again.”
“They’ve even kept Skippy and the Robot.”
Now let me tell you what I think. It’s my opinion that this is a big, old-fashioned HIT. Disney has taken a beloved character and found a place to add him into the Magic Kingdom. I mean c’mon….stop the griping. It’s not like they made Stitch’s Flying Rocket Ships (think Dumbo, Astro Orbiter, Aladdin’s Carpet’s or the flying dinosaurs at Animal Kingdom.)
The physical space in which Stitch now resides hasn’t changed that much since Flight to Mars. It’s still theater in the round. And yes…..the story line is similar to the Alien Encounter Attraction, but there are some great changes. First, the attraction looks great. There is great new signage out front and the smoked glass “portholes” in the facade have been covered. In the first of the two pre-show stops, the video presentation has changed to an animated version featuring the characters from Lilo & Stitch. Pleakley can be heard making the pre-show announcements, the Council Woman is present and Captain Gantuu tells us to be brave.
The “plot” of Stitch’s Great Escape is that we, the riders, are new recruits in an inter-galactic security system. We will be transporting “space criminals” to a secure location. In the 2nd of the two pre-shows, we are given a demonstration of the transporting device.
It’s in this show that it occurred to me that Disney fans are a tough group to please. We’ve all heard that they haven’t changed the attraction enough, but we’ve also heard that they shouldn’t have changed the attraction at all. Well, it looks like Disney tried to please both groups this time. S.I.R, the robot from Alien Encounter has changed. He is now an inter-galactic policeman, in charge of receiving prisoners. He has been given a uniform and some additional facial features. He’s also been given some funny lines. Also, back for an encore is Skippy, the plucky little space creature who has the misfortune of being the test pilot again..
During this demonstration, we learn that as new recruits, we will be handling level one criminals as we are not ready for level two. Prior to moving to the transportation room, we find that a LEVEL THREE criminal is being sent and that we must hurry into the room, as it will take all of us to keep him in line. The seating is same as that used in Alien Encounter. There is a device which lowers onto your shoulders It is important to follow the directions as to how to proceed as this device is lowered. It will effect your enjoyment of the show.
Some things you should know…it does get very dark in the theater, several times during the show. There are some funny-scary things that happen, but when you are 5 and not happy in the dark…they are just plain scary. And…here’s the best….if you sit in the lowest, two front rows…there is a pretty good chance that Stitch will spit on you. How cool is that?
I don’t want to give away too much of the show. There are some great new lighting effects. The Stitch audioanimatronic figure made me laugh out loud. The effects used throughout the show are cool. They have been used in other Disney World attractions, but are put to very good use here too. And as usual….you exit the attraction into the shop featuring all the new Stitch merchandise.
For those that want to know this kinda stuff....the attraction lasts for 18 minutes and 34 seconds, from door to door. If you are looking for this generation’s Haunted Mansion or Pirate of the Caribbean , this isn’t it.
If you are looking for another great Magic Kingdom experience, give Stitch a chance.
- Blog - Disney’s Festival of Fantasy Parade debuts at the Magic Kingdom!
- VIDEO - Disney Festival of Fantasy Parade - Festival of Fantasy is the brand new daily parade at the Magic Kingdom bringing the characters and stories of New Fantasyland to life! Brand new floats and costumes were produced for the parade featuring characters from Frozen, Beauty and the Beast, Cinderella, Princess and the Frog, Brave, Dumbo, Pinocchio, The Little Mermaid, Peter Pan, Sleeping Beauty, Tangled, Fantasia, Snow White and more!
- Photo Gallery of the Disney Festival of Fantasy Parade - The "Disney Festival of Fantasy Parade" celebrates New Fantasyland with new innovative floats, costumes and an all-new soundtrack that features songs from popular Disney films.
- VIDEO - Topiaries at Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival - The Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival is better than before in 2014 and features some of the most beautiful and elaborate topiaries seen anywhere. New this year includes 'Spring is in the Air!' featuring Goofy, Donald and Daisy as you enter the park; Soccer Goofy and Donald; and Kermit the Frog & Miss Piggy inspired by "Muppets Most Wanted". Returning favorites include Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Buzz Lightyear, Lightning McQueen, Tow Mater, Phineas and Ferb, Tinker Bell, Bambi and Friends, Peter Pan and Captain Hook, Winnie the Pooh and Friends, Classic Disney Couples, Woody, Lady and the Tramp, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, The Lion King, Pandas, Troll and Fantasia!
- VIDEO - Outdoor Kitchens at Epcot Flower & Garden Festival - After the popular introduction in 2013, the outdoor kitchens are back at the 2014 Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival serving up some of the finest and freshest food at Epcot in a similar fashion to the Food & Wine Festival. Outdoor kitchens include Pineapple Promenade, The Buttercup Cottage, Fleur de Lys, Taste of Marrakesh, Hanami, The Smokehouse: Barbecue and Brews, Primavera Kitchen, Florida Fresh, Lotus House, Jardin de Fiestas, and the new Urban Farm EATS!
- VIDEO - Festival Center at the Flower & Garden Festival - Video of the Festival Center at Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival 2014. The festival center is where you can find many of the seminars and presentations featured during the Festival.
- 2014 Flower & Garden Festival Photos - 2014 photo gallery of Epcot's International Flower & Garden Festival
- Inaugural Disney Fit Challenge to be held in September - Competitions will include tests of power, speed, balance, strength and endurance.
- Blog - A Shopping Oasis: Merchandise at Disney's Flower & Garden Festival
- Pollo Campero at Downtown Disney will be closing 3/19/14 - Pollo Campero, Bodie's All-American Grill and Babycakes NYC will be closing 3/19/14. Babycakes NYC will still be providing gluten-free items to select Walt Disney World food courts and restaurants.
- Blog - 2014 Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival opens in Epcot
- Registration for the Wine & Dine Half Marathon opens today - This race is held in conjunction with the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival.
- Blog - Haunted Mansion Merchandise Materializes in Disney Parks
- New dates for D23's Destination D - The event will be held November 22-23, 2014.
- 2015 Walt Disney World Marathon dates - Registration for the 2015 marathon begins 4/22/14.
- Blog - A Brit's Perspective - Changing of the Seasons at the Orlando theme parks
- Rebel Rendezvous merchandise event planned for Star Wars Weekends - Attendees will receive exclusive access to Darth's Mall a day before it opens to the public.
- Blog - A February Stroll through the Magic Kingdom
- Walt Disney World restaurants add Braille menus - Beginning March 1, select restaurants will be adding Braille menus, though a list of participating restaurants is not yet available. The Braille menus will have examples of the menu items but may not list all the short term or temporary items.
- Family Ticket offer - get one free day! - Get one FREE additional day on each ticket when you buy 6 or more 4-day or longer Magic Your Way tickets!
- Blog - Disney's Polynesian Resort is Changing in a Big Way
- Just announced! Festival of Fantasy parade will debut March 9! - This parade will run daily in the afternoons at the Magic Kingdom.
- Celebrate Earth Day at Disney's Animal Kingdom - The park is also celebrating the release of Disneynature's newest film Bears, which hits theaters April 18.
- Car Masters Weekend to be held at Downtown Disney - This event takes place June 14-15.
- Walt Disney World ticket prices increase - Ticket prices have gone up effective today, Sunday, February 23.
- Mighty St. Patrick's Day Festival planned for Downtown Disney - Downtown Disney celebrates St. Patrick's Day with live music, a step-by-step Irish jig workshop, classic Irish food and drink, Irish storytellers, Irish history and merchandise at Raglan Road's Shop.
- Star Wars Weekends - extra weekend added, plus Hyperspace Hoopla cancelled - A nightly fireworks show has been added instead of the Hyperspace Hoopla party.
- Major staff cuts at Disney Interactive
- Blackfish director denies receiving confidential information
- Hank Wiliams Jr. and Alabama to perform at SeaWorld
- Universal Orlando parking garage closed for suspicious vehicle
- SeaWorld calls for investigation of OSHA inspector
- Preview of food items for Wizarding World of Harry Potter expansion
- Disney announces theme parks will stay open for 24-hour party
- Magic Kingdom Hub Expansion Announced
- Disney Cruise Line takes top honors from Cruise Critic members
- Scotty McCreery and Steve Miller Band to perform at SeaWorld Orlando
Today's Theme Park Hours
Epcot Future World:
Epcot World Showcase:
|9:00 - 1:00
9:00 - 9:00
11:00 - 9:00
9:00 - 10:00
8:00 - 8:00
10:00 - 5:00
10:00 - 5:00
Extra Magic Hours Morning: Animal Kingdom
Extra Magic Hour Evening: Magic Kingdom