Attractions and Motion Sickness
Think twice before going on these attractions
First, I’d like to raise a glass of syrup of ipecac and dedicate this article to my 6’2” husband who has sacrificed many a breakfast in pursuit of the rides most likely to result in a “protein spill.” What a guy.
Let’s begin with the Magic Kingdom’s “Mad Tea Party.” See those smiling happy faces spinning around? See the Dad turning a pale shade of green standing on the outside with the camera? That would be him; he never so much as attempted this one. If you already know that you have a problem with rides that spin, do not go near it. The ride is twirling, the cup is swirling and before you know it, you’ll be hurling.
Disney's Hollywood Studios should be safe, right? Wrong. When my man reluctantly agreed to try Rock ‘N” Roller Coaster, I thought he would be fine. After all, you don’t go in circles, it’s a roller coaster. He does fine on Space Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain. Unfortunately, Rock 'n' Roller's upside down loops did him in. No “protein spills” but he was a lovely shade of avocado for the rest of the day.
A few of you might remember his infamous encounter with the Tower of Terror. I’d like to go on record that it was an isolated incident caused by riding it 5 times in succession after having overindulged at the Fantasmic Dessert buffet. He’s gone on it since with no problem. Yes, I confess, I laughed. I warned him about the combo of too many desserts and the Tower, but “it was no big deal.” Guess again. Don’t worry; I took my poor sick hubby back to the resort so he could recover.
At Animal Kingdom, there are not one but two attractions that are crossed off of his list. He never went near Primeval Whirl since it resembles the Tea Cups on a track. But wait, there’s that great new ride, Expedition Everest. A Roller coaster without any upside down loops? No problem, this should be fun. We got to the park early, grabbed a Fast Pass and got on the queue since the standby wait wasn’t too bad. I heard so much about the line theming, and this way we’d get to ride it twice.
OH BOY!! We're at the loading area and the Cast Member asks how many are in our party. Next thing you know, we get the coveted front seat. Wow!! Are we lucky or what? How cool, we’re on our way when it shifts into reverse. Uh-oh, I felt a minor tummy flutter and I knew what that meant, the big guy was gonna blow. (Please Mickey, don't let him get sick on me.)
He made it to the restroom (which, as always, is nowhere near the ride) where his Sausage McMuffin bit the dust. I then took my man to the First Aid station where he rested while I called our kids to tell them about Dad’s latest escapade. He’s become the family legend. (And as for those Fast Passes, I gave them to the first couple I saw who met my criteria, they were wearing NY Yankees caps.)
Since then, my son has visited Disney World and been on Everest. Fortunately, he didn’t inherit his Dad’s sensitive tummy but he did report that he saw a couple of people who had to lie down (some were on the ground) after riding it.
I don’t want to make light of the next ride, Mission Space at Epcot. It’s not funny when a ride results in fatalities, regardless of the pre-existing conditions. This one made my husband, me and our daughter sick when we rode it during the Annual Passholder preview. Now they provide barf bags, but back then, the exit was punctuated by one “protein spill” after the other. Even if you're like me and never had a problem with motion sickness, don’t be surprised if it gets to you. I didn’t get as sick as he did, but it took hours before we started to feel like ourselves again. You may want to think about the "non-centrifuge" version if you're uncertain of how you'll react.
For some reason, neither Hollywood Studios' Star Tours or the usually closed Body Wars in Epcot's Wonders of Life Pavilion make my big guy sick. Still, if you're sensitive to simulators, these might get to you. (A thanks to DIS'er Colleen for reminding me about these attraction's potential for problems.)
That does it, the rides most likely to result in tummy trouble. If you’re super sensitive, you may want to skip all of the coasters but I have to say my hubby is fine on the rest of them. And if you ever see him crouched over a bush, just keep walking or better yet, listen for a lady laughing hysterically. That will be me.
- Spots still available at Tables in Wonderland event on April 19 - This buffet will bring Tables in Wonderland members together during the Festival for dinner and drinks, then you will head to the Flower Power Concert series to hear the sounds of The Grass Roots.
- Menu items for Epcot After Hours Wind Down - Tickets, which can be reserved in advance, include one beverage and a selection of light snacks.
- Rehabs planned for two of Disney's golf courses - Disney's Magnolia Golf Course and Disney's Oak Trail Golf Course will be closed 5/21 - 6/4/2014.
- Guests at the Swan and Dolphin can now book their FastPass+ 60 days in advance - Onsite resort guests and guests at the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin can make FastPass+ reservations up to 60 days in advance. Annual Passholders and offsite guests can make their reservations up to 30 days in advance.
- Blog - Actors Fund Gala Tickets Honoring Disney Theatricals on Sale Now
- Changes to Earl of Sandwich menu - Prices have increased by about 50 cents per sandwich. New sandwiches have been added and others have been removed.
- Epcot After Hours Wind Down lounges to be available - Stick around after IllumiNations for an evening at one of 4 exclusive lounges featuring food and beverages from award-winning Epcot chefs and sommeliers.
- Annual passholders can save up to 35% on WDW hotels, plus get free Memory Maker photos! - Guests will save up to 35% on their room, plus get free Memory Maker digital photos. Discount is valid for travel between 6/16/14 - 8/2/14.
- Blog - VIDEO: Disney reveals first look at animatronics and scenes inside Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
- Meet the Easter Bunny at the Magic Kingdom April 13-20 - The Easter Bunny will also have a special pre-parade appearance on 4/19 and 4/20/14. He will be joined by other springtime characters, dancers and the Azalea Trail Maids.
- Carbon-Freeze Me experience at Star Wars Weekends to offer X-Wing Pilots and more - In addition to the carbonite figure, last year's Stormtrooper will be available, as well as two new figurines - an Alderaan Princess and X-Wing Pilot.
- Blog - Third Annual Easter Egg Display at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
- Easter activities and special dining menus at Walt Disney World resorts - List of events planned at Walt Disney World resorts.
- Blog - Disney Infinity Teases Marvel & Confirms Version 2.0
- October 2014 Walt Disney World park hours released - List of times for parades, fireworks, and park hours.
- Blog - What To Expect When You're...Cruising with Disney and a Baby: Part 2
- Big Thunder Mountain closed for 2 days for rehab - The attraction will be closed 4/7-4/9/14.
- Surprising your family with a trip to Disney? Check out our tips! - Surprising the kids with a Disney vacation is part of the thrill for some parents. Others would love to do it, but aren’t sure how to pull it off. Here are some different approaches to creating that special surprise for your family!
- Blog - New Lawsuit Attacks Disney’s New Disability Access Service
- VIDEO: Illuminations Sparkling Dessert Party at Epcot - Enjoy a special fireworks viewing area and desserts from around World Showcase paired with sparkling wines.
- Tables in Wonderland event at Golden Oak's Markham's restaurant - For this special evening, guests will dine at the exclusive Markham's restaurant at Disney's Golden Oak Club, Walt Disney World's private residential community.
- Blog - Review: Epcot's new IllumiNations Sparkling Dessert Party
- Blog - Review: Epcot Gardens of the World Tour
- Dates announced for Sounds Like Summer Concert series - The Sounds Like Summer Concert Series features some of the greatest tribute bands rockin' to U2, The Bee Gees, the Eagles and many more during select nights from June to July.
- Night of Joy tickets now on sale - Disney's Night of Joy features contemporary Christian performers. The star-studded lineup is always outstanding and features a host of Dove Award and Grammy Award winning artists.
- Blog - DVC Owner To File Class Action Demanding More FastPass+ Experiences
- Blog - Walt Disney World is now selling MagicBands to Offsite Day Guests
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - World Showcase - The American Adventure - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at World Showcase - The American Adventure, February 12, 2014 - Afternoon.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - World Showcase - Italy - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at World Showcase - Italy, February 12, 2014 - Afternoon
- Parking prices increase at Walt Disney World - Prices have increased $2 for each category.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Echo Lake - Academy Hall of Fame - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Echo Lake - Academy Hall of Fame, February 12, 2014 - Morning
- Cirque du Soleil discount offered for Tables in Wonderland members - Discounted tickets are available for performances April 1-May 10 and May 27-June 28, 2014.
- Tables in Wonderland Flower and Garden Festival Special Dining Event - This buffet will bring Tables in Wonderland members together during the Festival for dinner and drinks, then you will head to the Flower Power Concert series to hear the sounds of The Grass Roots.
- Fittipaldi Cup racing event planned for Walt Disney World Speedway - The Exotic Driving Experience and 2014 Rolex 24 winner Christian Fittipaldi are putting on a half-day racing event at the Walt Disney World Speedway.
- Grand Floridian hosts Edible Easter Egg Display - This is the third year the resort has hosted the display of hand-painted edible Easter eggs; the eggs are 16 to 20 inches tall.
- Star Wars-themed character meals at Hollywood Studios! - For a limited time, guests will have the opportunity to dine with Star Wars characters or Disney characters dressed up in their Star Wars costumes.
- New 2015 Disney Crusie Line Destinations - Disney Cruise Line has added new destinations for 2015! For the first time, the Disney Magic will set sail for Northern Europe, visiting the Norwegian fjords, Iceland and the Faroe Islands. Seven- and nine-night sailings will depart from Copenhagen, Denmark and will immerse guests in the Viking history of this mystical land, which served as the backdrop for Disney's blockbuster film Frozen. Sail past mountains, glaciers, geysers and fjords and stop in port cities reminiscent of storybook villages.
- Kouzzina by Cat Cora to close September 30 - A new restaurant will open in its place this fall.
- Blog - Saying Farewell to Mickey's Jammin' Jungle Parade at Animal Kingdom
- Blog - The Dream of Retiring to Central Florida
- Egg-stravaganza Easter egg hunt planned for Epcot - Search for special hidden Disney character "eggs" at Epcot.
- Blog - Review: “Muppets Most Wanted” Now Touring Worldwide and in Theaters!
- Blog - Five Reasons You Should Go See 'Muppets Most Wanted' This Weekend
- Mark Hamill - Luke Skywalker - will be attending Star Wars Weekends! - This will be the actor's first appearance at Star Wars Weekends.
- PEEPS-themed Easter events planned for the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin - The resort will be celebrating a PEEPtastic week 4/16 - 4/20/14.
- Brunch planned to debut new Disney Collection by Vera Bradley design - "Mickey's Perfect Petals" will be showcased at the brunch and will be available for purchase.
- Blog - New Frozen Merchandise at Disney Parks
- Extended preview of Maleficent film at Disney's Hollywood Studios - The upcoming Maleficent film, starring Angelina Jolie, opens in theaters May 30. Theme park guests can see an extended preview of the film beginning April 18 and running through mid-June.
- Food Truck Park to open at Downtown Disney - The Food Truck Park is currently under construction and should open this summer between Bongos and Starbucks.
- Blog - Review: Disney's 'Saving Mr. Banks' Now Available On Blu-ray, DVD, & Digital Download
- Blog - Review: "Frozen" Blu-ray Hits Shelves
- Blog - Top 10 Reasons Why March 18th Is The Best Day Ever For Disney Fans
- SeaWorld to host Viva la Musica Festival
- Disney plans baseball pitching contest for $1 million prize
- Court denies SeaWorld's appeal of OSHA ruling
- Samsung Smart TV app available for Disney Parks
- Disney Cruise Line crew member arrested for alleged molestation
- Record number of visitors to Orlando in 2013
- Disney releases CGI video of new Seven Dwarfs Mine Train attraction
- Muppets scavenger hunt game available at Epcot
- Renovation on SeaWorld's Shamu Stadium nearly complete
- Housekeeper attacked at Disney's Art of Animation Resort
Today's Theme Park Hours
Epcot Future World:
Epcot World Showcase:
|8:00 - 1:00
9:00 - 9:00
11:00 - 9:00
8:00 - 9:30
9:00 - 8:00
10:00 - 7:00
10:00 - 7:00
Extra Magic Hours Morning: Magic Kingdom
Extra Magic Hour Evening: Epcot FW