Attractions and Motion Sickness
Think twice before going on these attractions
First, I’d like to raise a glass of syrup of ipecac and dedicate this article to my 6’2” husband who has sacrificed many a breakfast in pursuit of the rides most likely to result in a “protein spill.” What a guy.
Let’s begin with the Magic Kingdom’s “Mad Tea Party.” See those smiling happy faces spinning around? See the Dad turning a pale shade of green standing on the outside with the camera? That would be him; he never so much as attempted this one. If you already know that you have a problem with rides that spin, do not go near it. The ride is twirling, the cup is swirling and before you know it, you’ll be hurling.
Disney's Hollywood Studios should be safe, right? Wrong. When my man reluctantly agreed to try Rock ‘N” Roller Coaster, I thought he would be fine. After all, you don’t go in circles, it’s a roller coaster. He does fine on Space Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain. Unfortunately, Rock 'n' Roller's upside down loops did him in. No “protein spills” but he was a lovely shade of avocado for the rest of the day.
A few of you might remember his infamous encounter with the Tower of Terror. I’d like to go on record that it was an isolated incident caused by riding it 5 times in succession after having overindulged at the Fantasmic Dessert buffet. He’s gone on it since with no problem. Yes, I confess, I laughed. I warned him about the combo of too many desserts and the Tower, but “it was no big deal.” Guess again. Don’t worry; I took my poor sick hubby back to the resort so he could recover.
At Animal Kingdom, there are not one but two attractions that are crossed off of his list. He never went near Primeval Whirl since it resembles the Tea Cups on a track. But wait, there’s that great new ride, Expedition Everest. A Roller coaster without any upside down loops? No problem, this should be fun. We got to the park early, grabbed a Fast Pass and got on the queue since the standby wait wasn’t too bad. I heard so much about the line theming, and this way we’d get to ride it twice.
OH BOY!! We're at the loading area and the Cast Member asks how many are in our party. Next thing you know, we get the coveted front seat. Wow!! Are we lucky or what? How cool, we’re on our way when it shifts into reverse. Uh-oh, I felt a minor tummy flutter and I knew what that meant, the big guy was gonna blow. (Please Mickey, don't let him get sick on me.)
He made it to the restroom (which, as always, is nowhere near the ride) where his Sausage McMuffin bit the dust. I then took my man to the First Aid station where he rested while I called our kids to tell them about Dad’s latest escapade. He’s become the family legend. (And as for those Fast Passes, I gave them to the first couple I saw who met my criteria, they were wearing NY Yankees caps.)
Since then, my son has visited Disney World and been on Everest. Fortunately, he didn’t inherit his Dad’s sensitive tummy but he did report that he saw a couple of people who had to lie down (some were on the ground) after riding it.
I don’t want to make light of the next ride, Mission Space at Epcot. It’s not funny when a ride results in fatalities, regardless of the pre-existing conditions. This one made my husband, me and our daughter sick when we rode it during the Annual Passholder preview. Now they provide barf bags, but back then, the exit was punctuated by one “protein spill” after the other. Even if you're like me and never had a problem with motion sickness, don’t be surprised if it gets to you. I didn’t get as sick as he did, but it took hours before we started to feel like ourselves again. You may want to think about the "non-centrifuge" version if you're uncertain of how you'll react.
For some reason, neither Hollywood Studios' Star Tours or the usually closed Body Wars in Epcot's Wonders of Life Pavilion make my big guy sick. Still, if you're sensitive to simulators, these might get to you. (A thanks to DIS'er Colleen for reminding me about these attraction's potential for problems.)
That does it, the rides most likely to result in tummy trouble. If you’re super sensitive, you may want to skip all of the coasters but I have to say my hubby is fine on the rest of them. And if you ever see him crouched over a bush, just keep walking or better yet, listen for a lady laughing hysterically. That will be me.
- Happy 15th Birthday to Rock 'n' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith! - The attraction originally opened its doors at Disney’s Hollywood Studios on July 29, 1999.
- Victoria & Albert's will no longer accept Tables in Wonderland - This begins August 1, 2014.
- Summertime Pals Ink & Paint Cel release - This limited release will be available at the event, or pre-order by September 25 at 5:00pm EST.
- Haunted Mansion merchandise shop coming to Magic Kingdom - The former Yankee Trader shop will become a Haunted Mansion merchandise location in the near future. The decor will be inspired by Madame Leota and will carry items from the Haunted Mansion Authentic program, such as apparel, home goods, souvenirs and more.
- Merchandise Events and Artist Appearances/Signings for August - List of authors and artists coming to the theme parks for signings and merchandise releases.
- List of characters updated for Villains Unleashed! event - Over 50 Disney villains will be taking over the park until the 13th hour!
- Beginning today, PhotoPass print packages are no longer offered table-side at character meals - This includes Chef Mickey's, 1900 Park Fare, 'Ohana, Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue, Disney's Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show and Tusker House Restaurant.
- Disney Visa cardholders can book Food & Wine Festival events early - Disney Visa cardholders can book special events two days earlier than the general public - on July 29 and July 30 from 7:00am-11:00pm EST.
- Tables in Wonderland adds blackout dates for several restaurants - The Tables in Wonderland program offers Florida Residents, DVC members and Annual Passholders 20% off of all food and beverage purchases at the participating Disney restaurants.
- Information on Holiday sleigh rides at Fort Wilderness - This horse-drawn "sleigh" ride is a fun way to celebrate the season.
- Marketplace menus for Epot International Food & Wine Festival - List of menu items for the marketplaces set up around World Showcase.
- Rehab planned in November for Magic Carpets of Aladdin - The Magic Kingdom attraction will be closed 11/10 - 11/21/2014.
- Food & Wine Festival Special Dining Experiences released - Bookings for these experiences begin July 31.
- 10 Places to Wait Out a Thunderstorm at Walt Disney World
- Disney Castaway Cay Challenge added to Princess Half Marathon Weekend - Runners who are registered for any of the Disney races (5K or longer) during the Weekend have the option to complete the Disney Castaway Cay Challenge when sailing on the Disney Dream February 23-27.
- Fantasia Miniature Golf Course rehab planned off and on for the next two weeks - Gardens Course closed 7/22-7/25/2014, 7/28-8/1/2014, 8/4-8/8/2014. The Fairways will still be open.
- Blog - I Can Go The Distance: Deciding is one thing, registering is another
- Save up to 30% on a Room Only reservation at Walt Disney World! - Valid for stays most nights 10/4/14 - 11/25/14 and 11/29/14 - 12/23/14.
- 2015 WDW hotel discount released for U.S. Military - Valid for stays most nights 9/28/14 - 10/3/15.
- All 3 remaining weekends sold out for Harambe Nights - July 26, August 2 and August 9 are sold out.
- Annual passholder discount for Spice Road Table - Through 9/17/14, Annual Passholders can get a 30% discount on their bill.
- 2015 Military Ticket Discount info released - Members of the military can purchase 4-day Magic Your Way tickets with Park Hopper option for $177 each.
- Changes to reservation times for Wishes Dessert Party - Reservations are all being set for 6:00pm, no matter when Wishes is taking place. The dessert party will actually take place one hour before Wishes.
- Frozen Summer Fun Premium package is sold out for all remaining dates - This package gives guests at Frozen Summer Fun Live reserved viewing for several events.
- Wild by Design tour to be discontinued after 9/26/14 - This tour takes place at Disney's Animal Kingdom.
- Fantasy Football Convention coming to ESPN Wide World of Sports - The convention will give attendees access to ESPN talent, a live fantasy football draft and more.
- Blog - Sneak Preview of What's Coming to the 2014 Epcot International Food & Wine Festival
- Dates and pricing released for ICE! at Gaylord Palms - Using two million pounds of ice, this Gaylord Palms Resort special ticket exhibit will be transformed into the North Pole.
- Blog - Disney's Magical Express Age Limit Changes: A Parent's & Teacher's Perspective
- Blog - Five Reasons Why We're Not Seeing "Planes: Fire & Rescue" in Theaters
- Blog updated - I Just Spent $20 on FastPasses! Would You? - The author has taken the tour she discussed in the blog - check out her thoughts to see if she would do this again!
- Blog - July 2014 Magic Kingdom Construction Update
- Information for Food & Wine Festival special dining experiences - book 7/31 - Premium events will be announced July 24 and can be booked on July 31 beginning at 7:00am EST. To book, call 407-WDW-FEST (939-3378).
- Princess Half Marathon fills in less than 24 hours - The Princess Half Marathon, the Princess Enchanted 10K and the Glass Slipper Challenge are sold out, filling less than 24 hours after registration opened.
- Dolphins at Epcot will be offstage through August 7 - Guests will not be able to see the dolphins at The Seas with Nemo & Friends. The Dolphins in Depth Tour will be unavailable during this time as well.
- Changes in parking due to Downtown Disney Remodel - Speeds in the area will be reduced, as well as lanes closed. Buena Vista Drive will be expanded to 10 lanes.
- Blog - Disney Responds to Disability Access Service Lawsuit
- High-speed train will link Shanghai Disneyland to city
- "Clyde and Seamore Take Pirate Island" show cancelled at SeaWorld
- PBS plans Walt Disney biopic
- Release date set for 5th Pirates of the Caribbean film
- Man arrested at Typhoon Lagoon for molesting 4 teenage girls
- Standby line to be cut off in Anna and Elsa meet and greet
- Disney's second quarter injury report: 12-year-old boy cuts fingers on Pirates ride
- 30 years in prison for man who molested girl at SeaWorld
- Possible agreement reached between Disney and unions
- Disney's CEO Bob Iger honored as CEO of the Year by Chief Executive magazine
Today's Theme Park Hours
Epcot Future World:
Epcot World Showcase:
|9:00 - 11:00
9:00 - 9:00
11:00 - 9:00
9:00 - 10:00
9:00 - 7:00
9:00 - 8:00
9:00 - 8:00
Extra Magic Hours Morning: Epcot FW