Two Trips =0 Dream Come True
I recently returned from my second trip to Disney World during the “Year of a Million Dreams” promotion. I’m here to say that my “dream-repellent” was still doing its job. As with my previous trip, the Disney Dream Team was nowhere to be found.
This was a mother/daughter vacation. My “baby” Caitlin is a college senior and we spent her Spring Break at the Beach Club Villas.
There I was with my trusty laptop bringing you the Disney News of the day as I waited for “Sleeping Beauty” to finally wake up each morning. I thought back to all of the trips where the kids would be bouncing on our heads eager to hit the parks. “Extra Magic Morning?” Ha! By the time the day’s wardrobe choice was made, the makeup applied, the hair blown and flat ironed, it was looking doubtful that we would make “Extra Magic Evenings.”
By some miracle, we did leave the room before Noon each day. There we were, looking with envy at all of those “Magical” lanyards with Fast Pass tabs. Hmm…I wonder if hitting the parks before sundown is the secret to getting those coveted prizes. If that’s the criteria, we’re in trouble.
Caitlin’s last trip to Disney World was a year ago and there were a few new attractions she hadn’t seen. We went on the Clam Mobiles at “The Seas with Nemo and Friends”, she saw Turtle Talk for the first time and I made sure we went to “Finding Nemo – The Musical.” Cait never saw the Extreme Stunt Show so that was also on our “must do” list. We both wanted to see the Captain Jack look-alike at the Pirate Tutorial. She loved it all.
We watched the latest Magic Kingdom Parade from a distance while sipping on frozen lemonades. She and a Florida buddy went to the final Pirate and Princess Party. She may not have gotten those Fast Pass lanyards, but she got beads and better yet, chocolate.
While passing through a very empty Innoventions, I spotted the exhibit where you make your own robot. We teamed up, jumping and hopping our way through the virtual race (my apologies if you got the rear view of me) followed by creating our personal plastic purple and green thingamabob.
We hit all of our favorites, and laughed at the silly memories so many of them brought to mind. “Hey Mom, remember when Germany had all of those little plastic figures that Steve would collect? Why, YE$ I do. And remember how Lauren would always get the latest Minnie Mouse toys? YE$$, she did. And do you remember when you and Dad got all of us lanyards so we could pin trade? YE$$$$$$$$$, I certainly do recall that.”
Along our travels we joked about the ever elusive Dream Team. We applauded during the parade when they announced the Grand Marshals of the day as well as the lucky family who won the night in the Castle. Still, no sightings of who bestowed these precious prizes.
You know what? It didn’t matter. I had the ultimate “dream come true” right beside me. One thing that’s inevitable, that little kid who clutched a Mickey Bar with one hand while holding yours with the other is going to grow up. Mickey Ears are replaced by Mortarboards. With that comes a new path to be followed and family vacations become next to impossible to schedule.
There’s so much “magic” to be had on each and every visit to Disney World. While the “Year of a Million Dreams” is a great promotion, you don’t need a visit by the “Dream Team” to make it special. Just let yourself become a kid again, capture the smiles and have fun! With any luck, 19 years later that little 3 year old will be asking you to go on her Spring break. There’s no better prize to be had.
- Blog - Disney's Festival of Fantasy Parade debuts at the Magic Kingdom!
- VIDEO - Disney Festival of Fantasy Parade - Festival of Fantasy is the brand new daily parade at the Magic Kingdom bringing the characters and stories of New Fantasyland to life! Brand new floats and costumes were produced for the parade featuring characters from Frozen, Beauty and the Beast, Cinderella, Princess and the Frog, Brave, Dumbo, Pinocchio, The Little Mermaid, Peter Pan, Sleeping Beauty, Tangled, Fantasia, Snow White and more!
- Photo Gallery of the Disney Festival of Fantasy Parade - The "Disney Festival of Fantasy Parade" celebrates New Fantasyland with new innovative floats, costumes and an all-new soundtrack that features songs from popular Disney films.
- VIDEO - Topiaries at Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival - The Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival is better than before in 2014 and features some of the most beautiful and elaborate topiaries seen anywhere. New this year includes 'Spring is in the Air!' featuring Goofy, Donald and Daisy as you enter the park; Soccer Goofy and Donald; and Kermit the Frog & Miss Piggy inspired by "Muppets Most Wanted". Returning favorites include Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Buzz Lightyear, Lightning McQueen, Tow Mater, Phineas and Ferb, Tinker Bell, Bambi and Friends, Peter Pan and Captain Hook, Winnie the Pooh and Friends, Classic Disney Couples, Woody, Lady and the Tramp, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, The Lion King, Pandas, Troll and Fantasia!
- VIDEO - Outdoor Kitchens at Epcot Flower & Garden Festival - After the popular introduction in 2013, the outdoor kitchens are back at the 2014 Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival serving up some of the finest and freshest food at Epcot in a similar fashion to the Food & Wine Festival. Outdoor kitchens include Pineapple Promenade, The Buttercup Cottage, Fleur de Lys, Taste of Marrakesh, Hanami, The Smokehouse: Barbecue and Brews, Primavera Kitchen, Florida Fresh, Lotus House, Jardin de Fiestas, and the new Urban Farm EATS!
- VIDEO - Festival Center at the Flower & Garden Festival - Video of the Festival Center at Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival 2014. The festival center is where you can find many of the seminars and presentations featured during the Festival.
- 2014 Flower & Garden Festival Photos - 2014 photo gallery of Epcot's International Flower & Garden Festival
- Inaugural Disney Fit Challenge to be held in September - Competitions will include tests of power, speed, balance, strength and endurance.
- Blog - A Shopping Oasis: Merchandise at Disney's Flower & Garden Festival
- Pollo Campero at Downtown Disney will be closing 3/19/14 - Pollo Campero, Bodie's All-American Grill and Babycakes NYC will be closing 3/19/14. Babycakes NYC will still be providing gluten-free items to select Walt Disney World food courts and restaurants.
- Blog - 2014 Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival opens in Epcot
- Registration for the Wine & Dine Half Marathon opens today - This race is held in conjunction with the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival.
- Blog - Haunted Mansion Merchandise Materializes in Disney Parks
- New dates for D23's Destination D - The event will be held November 22-23, 2014.
- 2015 Walt Disney World Marathon dates - Registration for the 2015 marathon begins 4/22/14.
- Blog - A Brit's Perspective - Changing of the Seasons at the Orlando theme parks
- Rebel Rendezvous merchandise event planned for Star Wars Weekends - Attendees will receive exclusive access to Darth's Mall a day before it opens to the public.
- Blog - A February Stroll through the Magic Kingdom
- Walt Disney World restaurants add Braille menus - Beginning March 1, select restaurants will be adding Braille menus, though a list of participating restaurants is not yet available. The Braille menus will have examples of the menu items but may not list all the short term or temporary items.
- Family Ticket offer - get one free day! - Get one FREE additional day on each ticket when you buy 6 or more 4-day or longer Magic Your Way tickets!
- Blog - Disney's Polynesian Resort is Changing in a Big Way
- Just announced! Festival of Fantasy parade will debut March 9! - This parade will run daily in the afternoons at the Magic Kingdom.
- Celebrate Earth Day at Disney's Animal Kingdom - The park is also celebrating the release of Disneynature's newest film Bears, which hits theaters April 18.
- Car Masters Weekend to be held at Downtown Disney - This event takes place June 14-15.
- Walt Disney World ticket prices increase - Ticket prices have gone up effective today, Sunday, February 23.
- Mighty St. Patrick's Day Festival planned for Downtown Disney - Downtown Disney celebrates St. Patrick's Day with live music, a step-by-step Irish jig workshop, classic Irish food and drink, Irish storytellers, Irish history and merchandise at Raglan Road's Shop.
- Star Wars Weekends - extra weekend added, plus Hyperspace Hoopla cancelled - A nightly fireworks show has been added instead of the Hyperspace Hoopla party.
- Disney and unions extend contract
- Major staff cuts at Disney Interactive
- Blackfish director denies receiving confidential information
- Hank Wiliams Jr. and Alabama to perform at SeaWorld
- Universal Orlando parking garage closed for suspicious vehicle
- SeaWorld calls for investigation of OSHA inspector
- Preview of food items for Wizarding World of Harry Potter expansion
- Disney announces theme parks will stay open for 24-hour party
- Magic Kingdom Hub Expansion Announced
- Disney Cruise Line takes top honors from Cruise Critic members
Today's Theme Park Hours
Epcot Future World:
Epcot World Showcase:
|9:00 - 1:00
9:00 - 9:00
11:00 - 9:00
9:00 - 9:30
8:00 - 8:00
10:00 - 5:00
Extra Magic Hours Morning: Animal Kingdom
Extra Magic Hour Evening: Hollywood Studios