Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Hotel
Swan and Dolphin Hotel Main Page
Rooms| Dining | Recreation | Mandara Spa | Transportation | Map | Photos
Make a Reservation
Todd English BlueZoo Restaurant Review
by Kevin Klose
This wonderful addition to the list of restaurants at the Walt Disney World Resort is brought to us by world renowned chef, Todd English. Chef English is known for his restaurants across the country, including Olives in the Bellagio Hotel in Las Vegas. He will soon open the Todd English Restaurant aboard the new luxury liner, the Queen Mary 2.
As for his part of Walt Disney World, it's a fun, upscale addition. The restaurant is located in the spot formerly held by the Coral Cafe on the ground floor of the Walt Disney World Dolphin. Gone are the days of bright beach colors and bright lighting. In there place we have a very hip, adult dining experience. Before we go any further, be prepared, Bluezoo is not inexpensive by any means.
Upon arriving at 7:00pm for our priority seating, we were immediately greeted by the hostess. The view from the podium is very glamorous. You look into a lively bar area with several sleek, contemporary booths along the far wall. The decor is done in various shades of blue with a vaguely aquatic (but very abstract) theme. As we passed through the bar area, to our left is an open kitchen with a raw bar and a specially designed grill (more on that later). We were shown to our table in the elegant dining room. Again, the decor is very sleek and modern with an aquatic flair. Booths line the walls with tables in the center and the dining room looks to hold approximately 140 guests. The windows are draped with silver mesh curtains, and large columns throughout the room are covered with silver tubing. The light fixtures are truly works of art that have to be seen. This evening there was a great deal of excitement over a sculpture sitting on a table. It was colorful and eclectic and had a feel of whimsy about it. When we inquired about the piece of art we were told that it was made entirely out of sugar by Bluzoo’s pastry chef. We quickly understood why it was getting so much buzz.
On to dinner……
One of the first things we noticed is that Bluezoo's menu is heavily weighted towards seafood. The emphasis is on very fresh fish prepared in a wide variety of ways.
To begin, there is a long list of appetizers, soups and salads available as well as the aforementioned raw bar. We chose to begin our meal with the Raw Bar sampler. This carries the hefty price of $40.00 and contained 3 raw oysters, 3 raw littleneck clams, 2 jumbo prawns, a sampling of the seviche of the day, a mussel salad and 2 large stone crab claws. The items included were all of the very highest quality and among the freshest I’ve ever encountered in a restaurant. What set this costly appetizer apart was a selection of 4 dipping sauces. There was a cucumber vinegarette, a bloody mary cocktail sauce (excellent), a red wine vinegarette and guacamole. All 4 were wonderful. In hindsight, we realized that we enjoyed the oysters and shrimp and during our next visit, will order those ala carte.
Also from the appetizers (most in the $7 - $12 range), we tried the New England Clam Chowder, the tartar of tuna and something unique, the roasted beet salad with warm goat cheese. The soup was a surprise to us. It bore very little resemblance to what we know as chowder. The base of the soup was a thin watery broth containing vegetables and clams in the shell. In an evening filled with wonderful tastes and textures, this was the only mis-step. The salad was shared and our wonderful waitress, April, offered to split the salad between two plates. It was a wonderful mix of field greens atop roasted beets with candied walnuts, a garlic crouton and a small serving of warm goat cheese in a very light vinergarette. It was superb! The tuna was prepared elegantly. The finest sushi grade tuna was cubed and seasoned and placed atop a vinegar rice patty. The perfect fusion of Asian flavors made this an appetizer we would definitely order on repeat visits.
For the main course there are quite a few choices (most in the $20 - $35 range), the majority being seafood. There is a chicken and a beef dish available, but these stand alone in a menu dominated by fish entrees. We were told the menu will change frequently depending on what is available and in season, and most choices are complex recipes featuring a variety of tastes and texture. For the purists, there is something called Simply Fish, where you pick the type of fish you would like grilled and then choose a sauce from a list of 4 or 5. Another option is something called Bluezoo's Dancing Fish. As you walk through the bar area and past the grill, there are several fish that look as if they are standing on their tails and dancing over the coals. In reality, they are on an unusual rotisserie system, but it's easy to see where the name comes from.
Everything on the Bluezoo menu is served ala carte, meaning that if you want a side dish to accompany your main course, there is an additional charge (usually in the $7 - $9 range). Our party decided to be a bit adventurous in our exploration of the menu. After our trip through the raw bar selections, we were convinced of the level of freshness evident, so we decided to let you know what else Bluezoo does well. We ordered a wonderful swordfish sitting atop a risotto, and every ala carte side dish to go along with it. The fish, a large, thick slab was done to perfection and absolutely wonderful. And as for the sides, each was outstanding. On our visit we had a lobster and broccoli stuffed cheesy potato, Asian slaw with shrimp, fries tossed with cheeses and spices, sautéed burnished carrots and tempura green beans with a garlic aioli dipping sauce. Each of these was worthy of being ordered. All were very good to excellent.
We finished dinner with a warm chocolate cake and coffee. The chocolate cake is an ‘underdone’ soufflé with a warm, gooey center. It was topped with chocolate sorbet and ‘garnished’ with milk and dark chocolate sauces. While it certainly was a feast for the eyes it was evident that the sorbet topping may be a mistake as the warm chocolate center quickly cooled. This in no way ruined the flavor, but expecting a warm cake and finding it cool does take something away from the total experience. The coffee was the source of some amusement as it was served in a very small cup - thimble size was the phrase of choice.
In addition to a wide variety of coffees, Blue Zoo had an extensive menu of dessert drinks and aperitif’s. There was certainly no lack of choices.
we left the dining room we found that the bar area was
surprisingly busy. Comfortable seating and a wonderful
selection of wines and mixed drinks (including their signature
Zooberry Martini) seemed to invite resort guests to sit
and socialize for a while.
Bluezoo is a very elegant, upscale dining choice. While it offers a very limited children's menu (a simple beef or chicken dish at $10 - $13) it is obviously aimed at adults. We would refer to this as a "special occasion" restaurant. It will appeal to those willing to make dinner the evening's focus as well as those looking to celebrate, have a quiet evening away from the hustle or those just looking to splurge.
Because we wanted to be able to offer the most comprehensive view of this fine new restaurant, we over-ordered. We could have ordered less and still come away very satisfied. Dinner with everything I have mentioned and two cocktails was $177.00. As I stated earlier......a wonderful, but pricey addition to the list of Disney Dining choices.
You can visit their website at www.thebluezoo.com
The English’s bluezoo Receives AAA’s
“Four Diamond” Award
The American Automobile Association (AAA) has awarded Todd English’s bluezoo its Four-Diamond quality restaurant rating. The designation recognizes the restaurant’s extensive array of amenities, combined with a high degree of hospitality, service and attention to detail.
Located in the Walt Disney World Dolphin Hotel, Todd English’s bluezoo features coastal cuisine, incorporating an innovative selection of fresh seafood with both international and New American culinary influences. Designed by highly acclaimed designer Jeffery Beers, the interior offers guests an energetic and vibrant atmosphere with a dash of playfulness.
According to the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Hotel food and beverage director Anthony Porcellini, “We are excited that the Orlando market is taking notice of Todd English’s newest creation. Since its opening, bluezoo has received several awards, applauding its cuisine and design.” He continued, “We work at being the very best, and we’re proud to have received the Four-Diamond rating.”
Four-Diamond establishments are upscale in all areas. Approved restaurants are assigned a quality rating from one to five diamonds. Research confirms that AAA’s members recognize and trust the diamond rating system.In the heart of the Walt Disney World Resort, the award-winning Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is the gateway to Central Florida’s greatest theme parks and attractions. The resort is located between Epcot and Disney-MGM Studios and nearby Disney's Animal Kingdom® Theme Park and Magic Kingdom Park. Guests will discover magical surroundings, superior service, luxurious facilities and all-new guest rooms featuring the Heavenly Bed. There are 17 incredible restaurants and lounges, five pools, white sand beach, two health clubs, tennis, massage therapy, nearby golf and many special Disney benefits, including complimentary transportation to all Walt Disney World Theme Parks and Attractions.
- Times updated for events at Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party - The Party is a specially ticketed event at the Magic Kingdom that begins September 1.
- Villains' Sinister Soiree add-on available for Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party - This special add-on will give guests preferred viewing for Mickey's Boo to You Halloween Parade (8:15pm) and the Happy HalloWishes fireworks show. Lady Tremaine will host a dessert soiree at Cinderella's Royal Table Restaurant for you and some of her friends.
- 5 Elements from the Disney Parks that You'll Find on a Disney Cruise Ship - You have been to the Disney Parks, and you love them. You keep going back for that pixie-dust rush. You can’t imagine a vacation apart from Disney Parks, yet somehow the “old and familiar” is getting a bit old and familiar. This is where the Disney Cruise Line enters. It’s a Disney vacation of a different variety. The dissimilarities are a bit obvious. You’re on a ship in the ocean, visiting foreign places. This is nothing like being landlocked in a park, surrounded by coasters and kiosks. So what can you expect from the Disney Parks to carry over to your cruise?
- Blog - "Villains Unleashed" needs leashing up - Disney's overcrowded hard ticket event leaves guests in long lines most of the night
- Mickey's PhilharMagic refurb extended - The end date has been moved from September 19 to the 28th. The attraction will go down September 8.
- Enchanted Tiki Room going down for refurb in late September - The Magic Kingdom attraction will be closed from 9/27 - 10/3/2014.
- Two Epcot New Year's Eve dining events released - More New Year's Eve events are yet to be released.
- Blog - Beyond Aulani
- Updated operating schedule for monorails - The monorail will have a different operating schedule than normal as an automation upgrade takes place.
- Charging stations for electric vehicles added to Epcot parking lot - Disney has added four Level 2 ChargePoint charging stations to the Journey parking lot at Epcot. Electric vehicles will be charged $.35 per kw/h, with a minimum charge of $1.50.
- Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party tickets sold out on 10/31/14 - Tickets are still available for all other dates.
- New Move it! Shake it! Dance and Play it! Street Party to debut at Magic Kingdom this fall - Stitch and Phineas & Ferb will join the party and Mickey, Minnie, Donald and Goofy will ride on top of giant gift boxes. The soundtrack will feature remixed classic party songs and guests will vote for one of three current hits to be played.
- VIDEO: What's New at Aulani - Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa has many new offerings. Quick service at Ulu Cafe, kids splash zone at Keiki Cove, two new pools, and much more.
- MagicBands can now be purchased without ticket media - The bands are now available for purchase across property.
- Changes to boat schedules at Downtown Disney - Schedules have been changing recently due to construction.
- Blog - The Good and Bad of the "Muppets Most Wanted" Blu-ray
- Ultimate Day VIP Tour available at Epcot Food & Wine Festival - This daylong tour begins at the Festival Center's VIP Lounge and includes champagne, a beverage tasting, six-course tapas-style lunch, wine, private backstage tours, time on Epcot attractions, food and beverage pairings with Disney chefs, VIP seating at the Eat to the Beat Concert Series, and reserved seating for IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth fireworks spectacular.
- Blog - New Golden Oak Outpost Menu is Waffle Fry Heaven
- Sunrise Safari at Animal Kingdom ending 12/28/14 - This tour is exclusive to Animal Kingdom Lodge Kilimanjaro Club Level guests.
- American Idol Experience to close August 30 - No plans have been announced for the space.
- Florida residents save $40 on Cirque du Soleil tickets - Through September and October, Florida residents will save $40 on adult Cirque du Soleil tickets purchased at the box office.
- VIDEO: The Refurbished Capt. Cook's at Polynesian Resort - After a long refurbishment, Capt. Cook's has reopened at the Polynesian Village Resort. Major changes include artwork in the seating area, a new menu, no more ordering off of touch screens and the tragic loss of the Dole Whip self-serve machine.
- American Film Institute at the end of Backlot Tour to close - As of August 17, the American Film Institute Showcase exhibit at the end of the ride will be closed. This exhibit features props and costumes from various films. The gift shop will also close.
- D23 Expo 2015 tickets are now on sale - Tickets for next year's D23 Expo are now on sale. The D23 Expo will be held August 14-16, 2015 at the Anaheim Convention Center.
- Constantine the Frog to attend Villains Unleashed! event - The "Muppets Most Wanted" villain will be at the Stage One Company Store location near Muppet*Vision 3D.
- Blog - Polynesian Resort's Capt. Cook's quick service restaurant reopens after refurbishment
- Golden Oak Outpost now serving specialty waffle fries - This walk-up stand is located on the backside of Frontierland on the walkway to Adventureland.
- Tower of Terror On-ride videos available with Memory Maker - After riding The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, a video of the guest's ride will be added to their My Disney Experience account. This video is only available to guests who have purchased Memory Maker.
- Win a 2 Night / 3 Day stay at the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin! - Answer 3 questions about the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin on our contest page for a chance to WIN!
- Great Irish Hooley Festival to be held at Downtown Disney - "Hooley" is Irish slang for party or celebration. Celebrate with food, drink and dancing.
- Update coming to My Disney Experience - make dining reservations 20 minutes in advance - A new update will allow guests to make same day dining reservations only 20 minutes in advance.
- Performance times updated for Night of Joy - Disney’s Night of Joy is a hard-ticket event at the Magic Kingdom that features contemporary Christian performers.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Polynesian Resort Lobby - Lobby Waterfall - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at the Polynesian Resort.
- Blog - Haunted Mansion Merchandise Continues to Materialize
- Refurb scheduled this winter for the Haunted Mansion - The attraction will be closed from 12/1 - 12/19/14.
- Move It, Shake It, Celebrate It Street Party reduces number of performances this month - Performance times will be 5:40 and 7:00pm on August 12, 13, 19, 20 and 29, 2014. Concrete work taking place on Main Street will limit the number of performances on those days.
- It's Tough to be a Bug refurb extended until 9/27 - This attraction was originally scheduled to reopen August 11, but will instead stay closed through September 27.
- Yankee Trader shop refurb extended through December - The shop is becoming a Haunted Mansion gift shop.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Adventureland - Swiss Family Treehouse Exit - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at the Magic Kingdom.
- Big Hero 6 characters coming to Walt Disney World - A specific date and location for the meet and greet has not yet been announced.
- Frozen Summer Fun extended at Disney's Hollywood Studios - This celebration has been extended through September 28.
- Top 5 Experiences at Walt Disney World That Don't Cost a Thing! - Walt Disney World can be a very expensive place — between park tickets, hotels, parking costs, meals and snacks, it all adds up very quickly. That’s why it’s important to remember that there are several fantastic experiences at Walt Disney World Resort that don’t cost a thing!
- Club Villain dance party planned for Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party - This will take place at the Diamond Horseshoe Saloon in Frontierland.
- Blog - New Disney Parks Inspired Coffees from Joffrey's
- Updated list of restaurants that accept Tables in Wonderland - Tables in Wonderland members save 20% off of all food and beverage purchases at the participating Disney restaurants.
- Video: Disney Park Bench - Polynesian Resort Dock - Polynesian Resort - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Polynesian Resort Dock - Polynesian Resort
- Epcot After Hours Wind Down extended through November 9 - Stick around after IllumiNations for an evening at one of 4 exclusive lounges featuring food and beverages from award-winning Epcot chefs and sommeliers.
- Blog - Review: "Guardians of the Galaxy" combines humor, action, and a stellar cast to become the perfect summer blockbuster
- All-Star Music food court closes for refurbishment - The Intermission Food Court will be closed 8/1/14-12/20/14 for refurb.
- New events added to Epcot International Food & Wine Festival - Late Nights LIVE! and new Premium Package events added.
- Astro Orbiter rehab extended by one week - Originally scheduled to end September 19, the ride will now reopen September 28.
- Food & Wine Festival Premium events now available for booking - This includes seminars, signature dining experiences and other special events.
- Changes coming to Move It, Shake It, Celebrate It Street Party? - An update is rumored for this parade later this year, possibly around October. Possible changes are new music; Mickey, Minnie, Goofy and Donald moving to the top of the floats; and Stitch joining the fun. Sebastian, Lumiere, and The Mad Hatter will leave the parade.
- During pool rehab, Polynesian guests will have free admission to Blizzard Beach - Originally, the resort guests were just going to be given one-day tickets to the water park, but that has been changed. They will now have complimentary unlimited admission to Blizzard Beach during their stay at the Polynesian.
- List of restaurants participating in the 2015 Disney Dining Plan - This list will be updated as more restaurants are added. Epcot and Downtown Disney restaurants don't normally finalize their participation until later in the year.
- 2015 Magic Your Way Disney World packages released! - A Walt Disney World package is a resort room and theme park admission. The Disney Dining Plan may also be added.
- Happy 15th Birthday to Rock 'n' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith! - The attraction originally opened its doors at Disney’s Hollywood Studios on July 29, 1999.
- Victoria & Albert's will no longer accept Tables in Wonderland - This begins August 1, 2014.
- Summertime Pals Ink & Paint Cel release - This limited release will be available at the event, or pre-order by September 25 at 5:00pm EST.
- Haunted Mansion merchandise shop coming to Magic Kingdom - The former Yankee Trader shop will become a Haunted Mansion merchandise location in the near future. The decor will be inspired by Madame Leota and will carry items from the Haunted Mansion Authentic program, such as apparel, home goods, souvenirs and more.
- Merchandise Events and Artist Appearances/Signings for August - List of authors and artists coming to the theme parks for signings and merchandise releases.
- List of characters updated for Villains Unleashed! event - Over 50 Disney villains will be taking over the park until the 13th hour!
- Beginning today, PhotoPass print packages are no longer offered table-side at character meals - This includes Chef Mickey's, 1900 Park Fare, 'Ohana, Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue, Disney's Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show and Tusker House Restaurant.
- Disney Visa cardholders can book Food & Wine Festival events early - Disney Visa cardholders can book special events two days earlier than the general public - on July 29 and July 30 from 7:00am-11:00pm EST.
- Tables in Wonderland adds blackout dates for several restaurants - The Tables in Wonderland program offers Florida Residents, DVC members and Annual Passholders 20% off of all food and beverage purchases at the participating Disney restaurants.
- Information on Holiday sleigh rides at Fort Wilderness - This horse-drawn "sleigh" ride is a fun way to celebrate the season.
- Marketplace menus for Epot International Food & Wine Festival - List of menu items for the marketplaces set up around World Showcase.
- Rehab planned in November for Magic Carpets of Aladdin - The Magic Kingdom attraction will be closed 11/10 - 11/21/2014.
- Food & Wine Festival Special Dining Experiences released - Bookings for these experiences begin July 31.
- 10 Places to Wait Out a Thunderstorm at Walt Disney World
- Disney Castaway Cay Challenge added to Princess Half Marathon Weekend - Runners who are registered for any of the Disney races (5K or longer) during the Weekend have the option to complete the Disney Castaway Cay Challenge when sailing on the Disney Dream February 23-27.
- Fantasia Miniature Golf Course rehab planned off and on for the next two weeks - Gardens Course closed 7/22-7/25/2014, 7/28-8/1/2014, 8/4-8/8/2014. The Fairways will still be open.
- Blog - I Can Go The Distance: Deciding is one thing, registering is another
- Save up to 30% on a Room Only reservation at Walt Disney World! - Valid for stays most nights 10/4/14 - 11/25/14 and 11/29/14 - 12/23/14.
- 2015 WDW hotel discount released for U.S. Military - Valid for stays most nights 9/28/14 - 10/3/15.
- All 3 remaining weekends sold out for Harambe Nights - July 26, August 2 and August 9 are sold out.
- Annual passholder discount for Spice Road Table - Through 9/17/14, Annual Passholders can get a 30% discount on their bill.
- 2015 Military Ticket Discount info released - Members of the military can purchase 4-day Magic Your Way tickets with Park Hopper option for $177 each.
- Changes to reservation times for Wishes Dessert Party - Reservations are all being set for 6:00pm, no matter when Wishes is taking place. The dessert party will actually take place one hour before Wishes.
- Frozen Summer Fun Premium package is sold out for all remaining dates - This package gives guests at Frozen Summer Fun Live reserved viewing for several events.
- Wild by Design tour to be discontinued after 9/26/14 - This tour takes place at Disney's Animal Kingdom.
- Fantasy Football Convention coming to ESPN Wide World of Sports - The convention will give attendees access to ESPN talent, a live fantasy football draft and more.
- Star Wars mobile game app released by Disney
- Disney contract approved by part-time employees
- Citation banning whale trainers from water will not be appealed by SeaWorld
- Disney cancels 2014 Festival of the Masters art show
- Radio Disney to shut down stations and lay off employees
- Disney proposes new contract for part-time employees
- SeaWorld announces new habitats for killer whales
- "Frozen" behind-the-scenes special coming to ABC
- PANDORA Jewelry coming to Disney Parks
- Universal Orlando to build fifth hotel?
Today's Theme Park Hours
Epcot Future World:
Epcot World Showcase:
|9:00 - 9:00
9:00 - 9:00
11:00 - 9:00
9:00 - 9:30
9:00 - 6:00
10:00 - 6:00
10:00 - 6:00
Extra Magic Hours Morning: Epcot FW
Extra Magic Hour Evening: Magic Kingdom