Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge Dining
One theme that runs consistent throughout all the dining venues is the unique menus that are offered. Jiko offers the most eclectic menu on property, offering authentic African cuisine. Among the offerings, you'll find dishes as unique as Horseradish-crusted Salmon and Banana leaf steamed Sea Bass, to more traditional dishes like Baked Chicken and mashed potatoes and grilled beef tenderloin. Even the traditional dishes are prepared with African flair, with dishes like the chicken featuring grapefruit, garlic and olives.
Price ranges at Jiko are from $5.50 to $10.25 for appetizers, $16.50 to $26.75 for entrees and $5.00 to $6.00 for desserts. Speaking of desserts, if you are a chocolate lover, you MUST try the Cardamom flavored chocolate candies. I won't tell you anything else...you must simply experience it to believe it.
The food at Jiko was superb. Some in our party were a bit nervous at the eclectic menu, but quickly had their fears removed when they started to taste the food. While the prices are in line with all of Disney's upscale restaurants, the offerings here are, by far, the best on property. In our opinion, this restaurant has no equal on Disney property, and will rapidly become a very difficult place to get reservations. Book your Jiko priority seatings early and often, as one visit to this restaurant will not be enough.
Boma is the more mid-range restaurant, offering both Breakfast ($14.99 - Guest ages 12 and up , $7.99 - Guest ages 3-11) and Dinner ($23.99 - Guest ages 12 and up, $ 9.99 - Guest ages 3-11) in buffet style. For breakfast, the extensive buffet included such staples as scrambled eggs, bacon and French Toast, and such unique items as lamb or chicken sausage. The buffet line is huge, and expands out it's offerings with a variety of fresh fruits and pastries. Most notable here is the Kenya coffee prepared in a press pot (which was delicious), and the complimentary fruit juice that is offered . We found the breakfast buffet to be very enjoyable, and while some of the dishes suffer from a lack of temperature, the flavor and freshness were excellent, and the unique coffee and fruit-juice offerings really rounded out the meal. Please note that this is not a character buffet, as there are no character meals offered at Animal Kingdom Lodge.
For dinner, the buffet is equally as extensive, but we found the food lacking in both warmth and flavor. The prime rib was tough, the pork ribs were adequate, and the chicken dishes were simply bad. Dishes like the curry chicken pasta salad looked delicious, but lacked the punch and flavor normally associated with a curry dish. Overall, we consider Boma's buffet dinner to be unremarkable, but we should also mention that it has great potential. With a little more adjusting of flavors and temperature, this buffet could become a real contender on property.
Mara, the food court area, offers standard fare found in most food courts for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Offerings for breakfast include cinnamon rolls, assorted danish, muffins, bagels, and various other bakery items, waffles or French toast. Breakfast platters include eggs, seasoned potato wedges and a choice of bacon, sausage or ham (these offerings come in both adult and child sizes). Breakfast wraps are also available (flour tortilla, bagel, biscuit or croissant, with eggs, bacon, sausage and cheese). There is also a made-to-order omelets station.
A specialty item for breakfast is called Pops and Gravy, which is white corn-meal cake in an African sausage gravy.
Lunch and Dinner consist of a variety of options including hamburgers, grilled chicken, and pre-made sandwiches. The resorts refillable mugs are available at this location. There is also an assortment of fresh salads (some of which can be 'custom-designed'). The pizza offerings are also unique, as they are made to order, and come in both personal and family sizes. Beer or wine is also available here.
Mara also offers a children's menu which is similar to the adult menu, only the portions are smaller by half. There are also chicken strips and hot dogs available for kids.
- Haunted Mansion merchandise shop coming to Magic Kingdom - The former Yankee Trader shop will become a Haunted Mansion merchandise location in the near future. The decor will be inspired by Madame Leota and will carry items from the Haunted Mansion Authentic program, such as apparel, home goods, souvenirs and more.
- Merchandise Events and Artist Appearances/Signings for August - List of authors and artists coming to the theme parks for signings and merchandise releases.
- List of characters updated for Villains Unleashed! event - Over 50 Disney villains will be taking over the park until the 13th hour!
- Beginning today, PhotoPass print packages are no longer offered table-side at character meals - This includes Chef Mickey's, 1900 Park Fare, 'Ohana, Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue, Disney's Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show and Tusker House Restaurant.
- Disney Visa cardholders can book Food & Wine Festival events early - Disney Visa cardholders can book special events two days earlier than the general public - on July 29 and July 30 from 7:00am-11:00pm EST.
- Tables in Wonderland adds blackout dates for several restaurants - The Tables in Wonderland program offers Florida Residents, DVC members and Annual Passholders 20% off of all food and beverage purchases at the participating Disney restaurants.
- Information on Holiday sleigh rides at Fort Wilderness - This horse-drawn "sleigh" ride is a fun way to celebrate the season.
- Marketplace menus for Epot International Food & Wine Festival - List of menu items for the marketplaces set up around World Showcase.
- Rehab planned in November for Magic Carpets of Aladdin - The Magic Kingdom attraction will be closed 11/10 - 11/21/2014.
- Food & Wine Festival Special Dining Experiences released - Bookings for these experiences begin July 31.
- 10 Places to Wait Out a Thunderstorm at Walt Disney World
- Disney Castaway Cay Challenge added to Princess Half Marathon Weekend - Runners who are registered for any of the Disney races (5K or longer) during the Weekend have the option to complete the Disney Castaway Cay Challenge when sailing on the Disney Dream February 23-27.
- Fantasia Miniature Golf Course rehab planned off and on for the next two weeks - Gardens Course closed 7/22-7/25/2014, 7/28-8/1/2014, 8/4-8/8/2014. The Fairways will still be open.
- Blog - I Can Go The Distance: Deciding is one thing, registering is another
- Save up to 30% on a Room Only reservation at Walt Disney World! - Valid for stays most nights 10/4/14 - 11/25/14 and 11/29/14 - 12/23/14.
- 2015 WDW hotel discount released for U.S. Military - Valid for stays most nights 9/28/14 - 10/3/15.
- All 3 remaining weekends sold out for Harambe Nights - July 26, August 2 and August 9 are sold out.
- Annual passholder discount for Spice Road Table - Through 9/17/14, Annual Passholders can get a 30% discount on their bill.
- 2015 Military Ticket Discount info released - Members of the military can purchase 4-day Magic Your Way tickets with Park Hopper option for $177 each.
- Changes to reservation times for Wishes Dessert Party - Reservations are all being set for 6:00pm, no matter when Wishes is taking place. The dessert party will actually take place one hour before Wishes.
- Frozen Summer Fun Premium package is sold out for all remaining dates - This package gives guests at Frozen Summer Fun Live reserved viewing for several events.
- Wild by Design tour to be discontinued after 9/26/14 - This tour takes place at Disney's Animal Kingdom.
- Fantasy Football Convention coming to ESPN Wide World of Sports - The convention will give attendees access to ESPN talent, a live fantasy football draft and more.
- Blog - Sneak Preview of What's Coming to the 2014 Epcot International Food & Wine Festival
- Dates and pricing released for ICE! at Gaylord Palms - Using two million pounds of ice, this Gaylord Palms Resort special ticket exhibit will be transformed into the North Pole.
- Blog - Disney's Magical Express Age Limit Changes: A Parent's & Teacher's Perspective
- Blog - Five Reasons Why We're Not Seeing "Planes: Fire & Rescue" in Theaters
- Blog updated - I Just Spent $20 on FastPasses! Would You? - The author has taken the tour she discussed in the blog - check out her thoughts to see if she would do this again!
- Blog - July 2014 Magic Kingdom Construction Update
- Information for Food & Wine Festival special dining experiences - book 7/31 - Premium events will be announced July 24 and can be booked on July 31 beginning at 7:00am EST. To book, call 407-WDW-FEST (939-3378).
- Princess Half Marathon fills in less than 24 hours - The Princess Half Marathon, the Princess Enchanted 10K and the Glass Slipper Challenge are sold out, filling less than 24 hours after registration opened.
- Dolphins at Epcot will be offstage through August 7 - Guests will not be able to see the dolphins at The Seas with Nemo & Friends. The Dolphins in Depth Tour will be unavailable during this time as well.
- Changes in parking due to Downtown Disney Remodel - Speeds in the area will be reduced, as well as lanes closed. Buena Vista Drive will be expanded to 10 lanes.
- Blog - Disney Responds to Disability Access Service Lawsuit
- "Clyde and Seamore Take Pirate Island" show cancelled at SeaWorld
- PBS plans Walt Disney biopic
- Release date set for 5th Pirates of the Caribbean film
- Man arrested at Typhoon Lagoon for molesting 4 teenage girls
- Standby line to be cut off in Anna and Elsa meet and greet
- Disney's second quarter injury report: 12-year-old boy cuts fingers on Pirates ride
- 30 years in prison for man who molested girl at SeaWorld
- Possible agreement reached between Disney and unions
- Disney's CEO Bob Iger honored as CEO of the Year by Chief Executive magazine
- Trattoria al Forno to replace Cat Cora's Kouzzina at Disney World
Today's Theme Park Hours
Epcot Future World:
Epcot World Showcase:
|9:00 - 11:00
9:00 - 9:00
11:00 - 9:00
9:00 - 10:00
9:00 - 7:00
9:00 - 8:00
9:00 - 8:00
Extra Magic Hour Evening: Hollywood Studios