Disney's Art of Animation Resort
Disney's Art of Animation address:
1850 Animation Way
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830
Phone: 407-938-7000 | Fax:
Check In: 3:00pm | Check Out: 11:00am
Maximum persons per room: 6 (Family Suites) / 4 (Standard Rooms)
Number of Rooms: 1120 Family suites and 864 standard guest rooms
Room size: 565 sq. ft (Family Suites) / 277 sq. ft (Standard Rooms)
Charge for 3rd and 4th guest: $15 per night / per guest
Credit Cards accepted: Disney Gift Card, Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, JCB
Art of Animation Resort - Overview
When Disney's Art of Animation resort opened in May of 2012, it became the 26th Disney resort at Walt Disney World. The resort features 1120 family suites themed around such Disney animated classics as Finding Nemo, Cars and The Lion King. The Little Mermaid building houses an additional 864 standard guest rooms. The Little Mermaid section was originally planned as an extension to Disney's Pop Century resort (which sits adjacent to Art of Animation), but those plans were abandoned in early 2002. As part of those plans, a bridge was built spanning Hour Glass Lake connecting the two resorts.
The Art of Animation Resort brings guests into the world of the animation process, from the first pencil sketches all the way to the films' close-ups. As you walk through the resort, make sure to look all around, including up, and discover the magic of animation. Beginning at check-in, pencil drawings set the stage as the process begins. As you move through Animation Hall, the sketches become more detailed as the animators figure out more of who their characters will be. A chandelier hanging from the ceiling is filled with storyboards (look closely to see one hand-signed by John Lasseter.) Next, you see the colorscript wall, right next to the Ink and Paint Shop. To discover the films' backgrounds, we head into the Landscape of Flavors food court. This is divided into 4 different areas, one for each movie represented in the resort. As you step outside, you can see everything working together to create the perfect medium shot. The last part of the process is stepping into the rooms - the closeup.
While the Art of Animation resort is considered a 'value' resorts, it defies comparison to other resorts in the same category. This resort is comprised mostly of Family suites, making the average price for a room considerably higher than what you would find at Pop Century right next door. Beyond the price differences, virtually every aspect of this resort is several notches above the other value properties at Walt Disney World.
The DIS Unplugged is a weekly trip planning podcast with unbiased advice on getting the most from your next Disney vacation. Each week our team of Disney experts tells you what's new, what's good, and what's not-so-good in the world of Disney. New shows are released every Wednesday and can be found at http://www.disunplugged.com!
Art of Animation Resort Review— June 6th, 2012
The DIS Unplugged team discusses Disney's new Art of Animation Resort.
Cars Suites at Art of Animation Resort— June 20th, 2012
DIS Senior Editor Leah Zanolla discusses the newly opened Cars themed suites at Disney's Art of Animation Resort.
Each set of buildings focuses on a different Disney film and the details start before you even enter the rooms. The outside of each building is covered in characters and icons from the films. As you walk up to the Cars wing, you walk down a freshly blacktopped road (can you picture Lightning McQueen paving the road, just like in the movie?) right up to the Cozy Cone Motel, complete with a Cozy Cone pool and cone-shaped cabanas! To enter the different buildings, you actually step into the different shops around Radiator Springs! The Lion King buildings are set in an African landscape, with an elephant graveyard play area. A giant-sized Mufasa overlooks the scene. The Finding Nemo theme is set off by the "Big Blue" pool, complete with Mr. Ray soaring above it all. This is the main pool for the resort, and at nearly 12,000 square feet it is the largest pool on Disney property.
The detail doesn't stop outside. Every fixture in the rooms fits the theme. The Finding Nemo rooms have coral-shaped chairs and ceiling lights that look like bubbles. The bathroom is designed like the submarine scene in the movie, right down to the porthole that serves as a mirror. Lion King fans will love Zazu performing on the headboards and Pumbaa and Timon decorating the shower curtain. Cars suites are located inside the "Cozy Cone Motel" and the theme in the room definately evokes the 'motel' feel. Tool chests serve as drawers and storage spaces, while a map of Radiator Springs adorns the top of the coffee table.
The Little Mermaid courtyard is filled with the treasures that Ariel has rescued from the human world, just like in the movie. These buildings house 864 rooms and are similar to the rooms at the existing value rooms.
1,120 family suites are divided between The Lion King, Cars, and Finding Nemo buildings. These suites each sleep six guests and have a kitchenette, 2 bathrooms, a master bedroom and 3 separate sleeping areas. One interesting feature of these rooms is the "Inovabed" - a table that converts to a bed in seconds.
Price: Rooms span a wide variety of pricing since both standard rooms and family suites are available. Booking a room only reservation at this resort requires a one night deposit at the time of booking. If you need to cancel your reservation, you can do so up to 5 days prior to your arrival to avoid losing your deposit. Reservations within 5 days of arrival forfeit the deposit amount. To get a quote for a specific date or a particular package, we recommend Dreams Unlimited Travel. Their agents specialize in Disney vacations and can make recommendations to fit your specific needs. Dreams Unlimited is the official travel agency of the DIS.
Landscape of Flavors food court
The 606-seat food court is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Choose from four food stations, featuring a selection of pizza, pasta, American burgers, salads, sandwiches, and Indian cuisine. A "Grab 'n Go" market is also available. Some popular offerings at this food court are fresh smoothies, hand-scooped gelato and Mongolian barbecue.
There are five mini restaurants that serve fresh, healthy made-to-order foods. The goal is to serve "better-for-you" options and to achieve that goal, chefs offer healthy choices such as yogurt parfaits, buckwheat pasta and vegetarian dishes like tandoor-roasted acorn squash.
Disney Dining Plan: Food purchased at the Landscape of Flavor food court use counter service credits from the Disney Dining Plan. Most bakery items are considered snack credits. You can add the Disney Dining plan to a Magic Your Way package.
Highlights from the five mini restaurants include:
- Soup-Salad-Sandwich Shop - create your own salad; caprese sandwich on focaccia; Buffalo-style turkey sandwich with argula and a blue-cheese-Buffalo sauce-mayo spread with house-made potato chips
- World Flavors Shop - For breakfast, enjoy a challah French toast or veggie flatbread sandwich on naan with paneer cheese. For lunch or dinner, choose from tandoori chicken, shrimp or sausage; Mongolian beef or fish with basmati or multigrain rice
- Pizza Shop - create your own pasta dish, cheese or pepporoni pizza; meatballs on ciabatta bread
- Burger Shop - customize beef, vegetarian, seafood or chicken burgers; pastrami cheeseburger
- The Market - wild berry, mango or strawberry-banana smoothies; iced mochas; cappuccinos; espresso; iced French vanilla coffee; desserts; gelato
Something that sets Landscape of Flavors apart from other food courts on property is its attention to beverages. Guests can get made-to-order fruit smoothies, lemonade and pomegranate limeade. Regular coffee is available, as well as French vanilla or iced mochas. Food can be paired with a half bottle of wine if desired. Organic teas, beer (even gluten-free!), and juices are also served.
The restaurant is divided into four themed seating areas, each one designed like the backgrounds in the four films represented at the resort. The art on the walls are landscape paintings from the films.
Art of Animation Food Court Review— June 12th, 2012
Kevin Klose and John Magi review Landscape of Flavors, the food court at Disney's Art of Animation Resort.
Drop Off Pool Bar
Poolside snack bar features quick foods and pizza delivery.
Located near the food court is the Pixel Play Arcade, Ink and Paint Gift Shop and airline check-in counters.
Services for Kids
While activities around the resort will vary by season, there is never a shortage of things to do for the kids. Poolside activities happen throughout the day and range from games like "Name that Tune" and "Disney Trivia" to "Nemo Bingo" and "Fish Toss". Activities normally start in the afternoon and run into early evening. There is also pool parties and dance parties that happen each day around 3pm and 4pm respectively. Each night in the Lion King courtyard, a different Disney film is shown (times vary based on season, be sure to check the activities guide given to you at check-in for times and details).
One activity unique to Art of Animation is the "Sketch Artist of the Day". Kids can sketch their favorite Disney character and bring them to front desk by 4pm. The winning sketch is unveiled in the lobby at 5:45pm daily. You can get more information (as well as some art supplies) at the front desk. Another unique opportunity here is the chance to take a 'Draw Class' with a Disney artist and learn how to draw your favorite Disney characters. This is held in the playroom next to the front desk and happens at 11AM, 2PM and 5PM
The Pixel Play arcade is located right off the main lobby and is one of the larger arcades on property. The arcade offers a wide variety of games for all age groups (including some 'old school' video games for the parents). Some games award 'points' that can be redeemed for prizes. All the games work off the 'arcade card' system. You can obtain an arcade card in the arcade and purchase points to charge it up. The more points you purchase the better the deal. 50 points is $1, and 2000 points is $25 (you can also buy points for $5, $10 and $20). Cards can be recharged as needed and work in all arcades at Walt Disney World.
Babysitting Services - Babysitting is available through Kids Nite Out, Inc. - which is not owned or operated by Disney. Caregivers provide in-room services which include playing games, reading, and generally entertaining your kids. Services are also available through Kids Nite Out to plan parties and special events. Advanced reservations are required and services are available 24 hours per day. There is a 4 hour minimum for children 6 months to 12 years old. Cancellations must be made 24 hours in advance to avoid the 4 hour minimum cancellation fee. Reservations can be made by calling 407-828-0920.
In addition to the themed buildings, there are 4 courtyards at the resort - each one inspired by the four films represented here. Each courtyard features icons and sculptures for kids to play with and around.
The main pool at the resort is in the Finding Nemo courtyard - the "Big Blue" pool, themed around the film. At 11,859 square feet, this is the largest resort pool at Walt Disney World. While underwater, you'll hear music and the voices of Nemo, Dory and Crush. A giant Mr. Ray, whose wingspan is 27 feet, looks over the area, which includes a colorful reef and the East Australian Current. Get your picture taken with Crush or one of the other 2,500 figures decorating the resort. A children's splash area, the Righteous Reef, is the perfect place for your kids to cool off with Squirt.
For more poolside recreation, guests can head to the Pixel Play Arcade or the Drop Off pool bar.
"Quiet pools" are located in the Cars (Cozy Cone Pool) and The Little Mermaid (Flippin' Fins Pool) wings.
Art of Animation Fun Facts
- Total property size: 87 acres
- Family Suites size: 565 square feet
- The Nemo pool has 310,000 gallons and is the largest pool on Disney property, not counting water parks.
- If you combined all the swimming pools, you could park 125 cars inside the pools.
- Its 27 acres of landscaping and irrigation is the equivalent of twenty football fields.
- You will really feel like you are swimming with your Pixar pals in the big blue world as you can hear sounds and voices of favorite characters with 12 underwater speakers.
- If you look up at the lobby chandelier made up of various animator sketches, you can spot a Cars sketch signed by John Lasseter himself.
- The resort has 227,000 lineal feet of carpet, which if laid out, could stretch from downtown Orlando to Kennedy Space Center.
- There are over 529,000 square feet of ceramic tiles on the project, enough to cover a standard two-lane road four miles long.
- If you stacked up all the doors at the resort, they would be as tall as the Empire State Building.
- There's enough metal railing to wrap around the new Amway Center eight times.
- The project used 23,000 gallons of paint, which is enough to fill a typical backyard swimming pool.
- There are over 2,300 parking spaces within the project, which is approximately the number of players in the NFL.
- More than 800 construction jobs were created, and at full operation it will create 750 resort hotel jobs.
- MagicBands can now be purchased without ticket media - The bands are now available for purchase across property.
- Changes to boat schedules at Downtown Disney - Schedules have been changing recently due to construction.
- Meet and greet locations updated for Villains Unleashed! event - Over 50 Disney villains will be taking over the park until the 13th hour!
- Blog - The Good and Bad of the "Muppets Most Wanted" Blu-ray
- Ultimate Day VIP Tour available at Epcot Food & Wine Festival - This daylong tour begins at the Festival Center's VIP Lounge and includes champagne, a beverage tasting, six-course tapas-style lunch, wine, private backstage tours, time on Epcot attractions, food and beverage pairings with Disney chefs, VIP seating at the Eat to the Beat Concert Series, and reserved seating for IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth fireworks spectacular.
- Awesome Mix Tape Dance Party scheduled for Villains Unleashed! event - Over 50 Disney villains will be taking over the park until the 13th hour!
- Blog - New Golden Oak Outpost Menu is Waffle Fry Heaven
- Sunrise Safari at Animal Kingdom ending 12/28/14 - This tour is exclusive to Animal Kingdom Lodge Kilimanjaro Club Level guests.
- American Idol Experience to close August 30 - No plans have been announced for the space.
- Florida residents save $40 on Cirque du Soleil tickets - Through September and October, Florida residents will save $40 on adult Cirque du Soleil tickets purchased at the box office.
- VIDEO: The Refurbished Capt. Cook's at Polynesian Resort - After a long refurbishment, Capt. Cook's has reopened at the Polynesian Village Resort. Major changes include artwork in the seating area, a new menu, no more ordering off of touch screens and the tragic loss of the Dole Whip self-serve machine.
- American Film Institute at the end of Backlot Tour to close - As of August 17, the American Film Institute Showcase exhibit at the end of the ride will be closed. This exhibit features props and costumes from various films. The gift shop will also close.
- D23 Expo 2015 tickets are now on sale - Tickets for next year's D23 Expo are now on sale. The D23 Expo will be held August 14-16, 2015 at the Anaheim Convention Center.
- Constantine the Frog to attend Villains Unleashed! event - The "Muppets Most Wanted" villain will be at the Stage One Company Store location near Muppet*Vision 3D.
- Blog - Polynesian Resort's Capt. Cook's quick service restaurant reopens after refurbishment
- Golden Oak Outpost now serving specialty waffle fries - This walk-up stand is located on the backside of Frontierland on the walkway to Adventureland.
- Tower of Terror On-ride videos available with Memory Maker - After riding The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, a video of the guest's ride will be added to their My Disney Experience account. This video is only available to guests who have purchased Memory Maker.
- Win a 2 Night / 3 Day stay at the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin! - Answer 3 questions about the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin on our contest page for a chance to WIN!
- Great Irish Hooley Festival to be held at Downtown Disney - "Hooley" is Irish slang for party or celebration. Celebrate with food, drink and dancing.
- Update coming to My Disney Experience - make dining reservations 20 minutes in advance - A new update will allow guests to make same day dining reservations only 20 minutes in advance.
- Performance times updated for Night of Joy - Disney’s Night of Joy is a hard-ticket event at the Magic Kingdom that features contemporary Christian performers.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Polynesian Resort Lobby - Lobby Waterfall - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at the Polynesian Resort.
- Blog - Haunted Mansion Merchandise Continues to Materialize
- Refurb scheduled this winter for the Haunted Mansion - The attraction will be closed from 12/1 - 12/19/14.
- Move It, Shake It, Celebrate It Street Party reduces number of performances this month - Performance times will be 5:40 and 7:00pm on August 12, 13, 19, 20 and 29, 2014. Concrete work taking place on Main Street will limit the number of performances on those days.
- It's Tough to be a Bug refurb extended until 9/27 - This attraction was originally scheduled to reopen August 11, but will instead stay closed through September 27.
- Yankee Trader shop refurb extended through December - The shop is becoming a Haunted Mansion gift shop.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Adventureland - Swiss Family Treehouse Exit - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at the Magic Kingdom.
- Big Hero 6 characters coming to Walt Disney World - A specific date and location for the meet and greet has not yet been announced.
- Frozen Summer Fun extended at Disney's Hollywood Studios - This celebration has been extended through September 28.
- Top 5 Experiences at Walt Disney World That Don't Cost a Thing! - Walt Disney World can be a very expensive place — between park tickets, hotels, parking costs, meals and snacks, it all adds up very quickly. That’s why it’s important to remember that there are several fantastic experiences at Walt Disney World Resort that don’t cost a thing!
- Club Villain dance party planned for Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party - This will take place at the Diamond Horseshoe Saloon in Frontierland.
- Blog - New Disney Parks Inspired Coffees from Joffrey's
- Updated list of restaurants that accept Tables in Wonderland - Tables in Wonderland members save 20% off of all food and beverage purchases at the participating Disney restaurants.
- Video: Disney Park Bench - Polynesian Resort Dock - Polynesian Resort - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Polynesian Resort Dock - Polynesian Resort
- Epcot After Hours Wind Down extended through November 9 - Stick around after IllumiNations for an evening at one of 4 exclusive lounges featuring food and beverages from award-winning Epcot chefs and sommeliers.
- Blog - Review: "Guardians of the Galaxy" combines humor, action, and a stellar cast to become the perfect summer blockbuster
- All-Star Music food court closes for refurbishment - The Intermission Food Court will be closed 8/1/14-12/20/14 for refurb.
- New events added to Epcot International Food & Wine Festival - Late Nights LIVE! and new Premium Package events added.
- Astro Orbiter rehab extended by one week - Originally scheduled to end September 19, the ride will now reopen September 28.
- Food & Wine Festival Premium events now available for booking - This includes seminars, signature dining experiences and other special events.
- Changes coming to Move It, Shake It, Celebrate It Street Party? - An update is rumored for this parade later this year, possibly around October. Possible changes are new music; Mickey, Minnie, Goofy and Donald moving to the top of the floats; and Stitch joining the fun. Sebastian, Lumiere, and The Mad Hatter will leave the parade.
- During pool rehab, Polynesian guests will have free admission to Blizzard Beach - Originally, the resort guests were just going to be given one-day tickets to the water park, but that has been changed. They will now have complimentary unlimited admission to Blizzard Beach during their stay at the Polynesian.
- List of restaurants participating in the 2015 Disney Dining Plan - This list will be updated as more restaurants are added. Epcot and Downtown Disney restaurants don't normally finalize their participation until later in the year.
- 2015 Magic Your Way Disney World packages released! - A Walt Disney World package is a resort room and theme park admission. The Disney Dining Plan may also be added.
- Happy 15th Birthday to Rock 'n' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith! - The attraction originally opened its doors at Disney’s Hollywood Studios on July 29, 1999.
- Victoria & Albert's will no longer accept Tables in Wonderland - This begins August 1, 2014.
- Summertime Pals Ink & Paint Cel release - This limited release will be available at the event, or pre-order by September 25 at 5:00pm EST.
- Haunted Mansion merchandise shop coming to Magic Kingdom - The former Yankee Trader shop will become a Haunted Mansion merchandise location in the near future. The decor will be inspired by Madame Leota and will carry items from the Haunted Mansion Authentic program, such as apparel, home goods, souvenirs and more.
- Merchandise Events and Artist Appearances/Signings for August - List of authors and artists coming to the theme parks for signings and merchandise releases.
- List of characters updated for Villains Unleashed! event - Over 50 Disney villains will be taking over the park until the 13th hour!
- Beginning today, PhotoPass print packages are no longer offered table-side at character meals - This includes Chef Mickey's, 1900 Park Fare, 'Ohana, Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue, Disney's Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show and Tusker House Restaurant.
- Disney Visa cardholders can book Food & Wine Festival events early - Disney Visa cardholders can book special events two days earlier than the general public - on July 29 and July 30 from 7:00am-11:00pm EST.
- Tables in Wonderland adds blackout dates for several restaurants - The Tables in Wonderland program offers Florida Residents, DVC members and Annual Passholders 20% off of all food and beverage purchases at the participating Disney restaurants.
- Information on Holiday sleigh rides at Fort Wilderness - This horse-drawn "sleigh" ride is a fun way to celebrate the season.
- Marketplace menus for Epot International Food & Wine Festival - List of menu items for the marketplaces set up around World Showcase.
- Rehab planned in November for Magic Carpets of Aladdin - The Magic Kingdom attraction will be closed 11/10 - 11/21/2014.
- Food & Wine Festival Special Dining Experiences released - Bookings for these experiences begin July 31.
- 10 Places to Wait Out a Thunderstorm at Walt Disney World
- Disney Castaway Cay Challenge added to Princess Half Marathon Weekend - Runners who are registered for any of the Disney races (5K or longer) during the Weekend have the option to complete the Disney Castaway Cay Challenge when sailing on the Disney Dream February 23-27.
- Fantasia Miniature Golf Course rehab planned off and on for the next two weeks - Gardens Course closed 7/22-7/25/2014, 7/28-8/1/2014, 8/4-8/8/2014. The Fairways will still be open.
- Blog - I Can Go The Distance: Deciding is one thing, registering is another
- Save up to 30% on a Room Only reservation at Walt Disney World! - Valid for stays most nights 10/4/14 - 11/25/14 and 11/29/14 - 12/23/14.
- 2015 WDW hotel discount released for U.S. Military - Valid for stays most nights 9/28/14 - 10/3/15.
- All 3 remaining weekends sold out for Harambe Nights - July 26, August 2 and August 9 are sold out.
- Annual passholder discount for Spice Road Table - Through 9/17/14, Annual Passholders can get a 30% discount on their bill.
- 2015 Military Ticket Discount info released - Members of the military can purchase 4-day Magic Your Way tickets with Park Hopper option for $177 each.
- Changes to reservation times for Wishes Dessert Party - Reservations are all being set for 6:00pm, no matter when Wishes is taking place. The dessert party will actually take place one hour before Wishes.
- Frozen Summer Fun Premium package is sold out for all remaining dates - This package gives guests at Frozen Summer Fun Live reserved viewing for several events.
- Wild by Design tour to be discontinued after 9/26/14 - This tour takes place at Disney's Animal Kingdom.
- Fantasy Football Convention coming to ESPN Wide World of Sports - The convention will give attendees access to ESPN talent, a live fantasy football draft and more.
- Radio Disney to shut down stations and lay off employees
- Disney proposes new contract for part-time employees
- SeaWorld announces new habitats for killer whales
- "Frozen" behind-the-scenes special coming to ABC
- PANDORA Jewelry coming to Disney Parks
- Universal Orlando to build fifth hotel?
- Comedian and actor Robin Williams found dead at age 63
- Universal's Hogwarts Express sees one million riders
- Disney janitor arrested for sexually assaulting coworker
- Disney's Be Our Guest Restaurant tests new standby line policy
Today's Theme Park Hours
Epcot Future World:
Epcot World Showcase:
|9:00 - 11:00
9:00 - 9:00
11:00 - 9:00
9:00 - 9:30
9:00 - 7:00
9:00 - 7:00
9:00 - 7:00
Extra Magic Hours Morning: Epcot FW