Disney's Art of Animation Resort
Disney's Art of Animation address:
1850 Animation Way
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830
Phone: 407-938-7000 | Fax:
Check In: 3:00pm | Check Out: 11:00am
Maximum persons per room: 6 (Family Suites) / 4 (Standard Rooms)
Number of Rooms: 1120 Family suites and 864 standard guest rooms
Room size: 565 sq. ft (Family Suites) / 277 sq. ft (Standard Rooms)
Charge for 3rd and 4th guest: $15 per night / per guest
Credit Cards accepted: Disney Gift Card, Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, JCB
Art of Animation Resort - Overview
When Disney's Art of Animation resort opened in May of 2012, it became the 26th Disney resort at Walt Disney World. The resort features 1120 family suites themed around such Disney animated classics as Finding Nemo, Cars and The Lion King. The Little Mermaid building houses an additional 864 standard guest rooms. The Little Mermaid section was originally planned as an extension to Disney's Pop Century resort (which sits adjacent to Art of Animation), but those plans were abandoned in early 2002. As part of those plans, a bridge was built spanning Hour Glass Lake connecting the two resorts.
The Art of Animation Resort brings guests into the world of the animation process, from the first pencil sketches all the way to the films' close-ups. As you walk through the resort, make sure to look all around, including up, and discover the magic of animation. Beginning at check-in, pencil drawings set the stage as the process begins. As you move through Animation Hall, the sketches become more detailed as the animators figure out more of who their characters will be. A chandelier hanging from the ceiling is filled with storyboards (look closely to see one hand-signed by John Lasseter.) Next, you see the colorscript wall, right next to the Ink and Paint Shop. To discover the films' backgrounds, we head into the Landscape of Flavors food court. This is divided into 4 different areas, one for each movie represented in the resort. As you step outside, you can see everything working together to create the perfect medium shot. The last part of the process is stepping into the rooms - the closeup.
While the Art of Animation resort is considered a 'value' resorts, it defies comparison to other resorts in the same category. This resort is comprised mostly of Family suites, making the average price for a room considerably higher than what you would find at Pop Century right next door. Beyond the price differences, virtually every aspect of this resort is several notches above the other value properties at Walt Disney World.
The DIS Unplugged is a weekly trip planning podcast with unbiased advice on getting the most from your next Disney vacation. Each week our team of Disney experts tells you what's new, what's good, and what's not-so-good in the world of Disney. New shows are released every Wednesday and can be found at http://www.disunplugged.com!
Art of Animation Resort Review— June 6th, 2012
The DIS Unplugged team discusses Disney's new Art of Animation Resort.
Cars Suites at Art of Animation Resort— June 20th, 2012
DIS Senior Editor Leah Zanolla discusses the newly opened Cars themed suites at Disney's Art of Animation Resort.
Each set of buildings focuses on a different Disney film and the details start before you even enter the rooms. The outside of each building is covered in characters and icons from the films. As you walk up to the Cars wing, you walk down a freshly blacktopped road (can you picture Lightning McQueen paving the road, just like in the movie?) right up to the Cozy Cone Motel, complete with a Cozy Cone pool and cone-shaped cabanas! To enter the different buildings, you actually step into the different shops around Radiator Springs! The Lion King buildings are set in an African landscape, with an elephant graveyard play area. A giant-sized Mufasa overlooks the scene. The Finding Nemo theme is set off by the "Big Blue" pool, complete with Mr. Ray soaring above it all. This is the main pool for the resort, and at nearly 12,000 square feet it is the largest pool on Disney property.
The detail doesn't stop outside. Every fixture in the rooms fits the theme. The Finding Nemo rooms have coral-shaped chairs and ceiling lights that look like bubbles. The bathroom is designed like the submarine scene in the movie, right down to the porthole that serves as a mirror. Lion King fans will love Zazu performing on the headboards and Pumbaa and Timon decorating the shower curtain. Cars suites are located inside the "Cozy Cone Motel" and the theme in the room definately evokes the 'motel' feel. Tool chests serve as drawers and storage spaces, while a map of Radiator Springs adorns the top of the coffee table.
The Little Mermaid courtyard is filled with the treasures that Ariel has rescued from the human world, just like in the movie. These buildings house 864 rooms and are similar to the rooms at the existing value rooms.
1,120 family suites are divided between The Lion King, Cars, and Finding Nemo buildings. These suites each sleep six guests and have a kitchenette, 2 bathrooms, a master bedroom and 3 separate sleeping areas. One interesting feature of these rooms is the "Inovabed" - a table that converts to a bed in seconds.
Price: For 2013, room rates range from $252 per night for a family suite in value season to $433 per night in peak holiday season. For the standard rooms in the Little Mermaid building, rooms range from $100 per night in value season to $191 per night in peak holiday season. Booking a room only reservation at this resort requires a one night deposit at the time of booking. If you need to cancel your reservation, you can do so up to 5 days prior to your arrival to avoid losing your deposit. Reservations within 5 days of arrival forfeit the deposit amount. To get a quote for a specific date or a particular package, we recommend Dreams Unlimited Travel. Their agents specialize in Disney vacations and can make recommendations to fit your specific needs. Dreams Unlimited is the official travel agency of the DIS.
Landscape of Flavors food court
The 606-seat food court is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Choose from four food stations, featuring a selection of pizza, pasta, American burgers, salads, sandwiches, and Indian cuisine. A "Grab 'n Go" market is also available. Some popular offerings at this food court are fresh smoothies, hand-scooped gelato and Mongolian barbecue.
There are five mini restaurants that serve fresh, healthy made-to-order foods. The goal is to serve "better-for-you" options and to achieve that goal, chefs offer healthy choices such as yogurt parfaits, buckwheat pasta and vegetarian dishes like tandoor-roasted acorn squash.
Disney Dining Plan: Food purchased at the Landscape of Flavor food court use counter service credits from the Disney Dining Plan. Most bakery items are considered snack credits. You can add the Disney Dining plan to a Magic Your Way package.
Highlights from the five mini restaurants include:
- Soup-Salad-Sandwich Shop - create your own salad; caprese sandwich on focaccia; Buffalo-style turkey sandwich with argula and a blue-cheese-Buffalo sauce-mayo spread with house-made potato chips
- World Flavors Shop - For breakfast, enjoy a challah French toast or veggie flatbread sandwich on naan with paneer cheese. For lunch or dinner, choose from tandoori chicken, shrimp or sausage; Mongolian beef or fish with basmati or multigrain rice
- Pizza Shop - create your own pasta dish, cheese or pepporoni pizza; meatballs on ciabatta bread
- Burger Shop - customize beef, vegetarian, seafood or chicken burgers; pastrami cheeseburger
- The Market - wild berry, mango or strawberry-banana smoothies; iced mochas; cappuccinos; espresso; iced French vanilla coffee; desserts; gelato
Something that sets Landscape of Flavors apart from other food courts on property is its attention to beverages. Guests can get made-to-order fruit smoothies, lemonade and pomegranate limeade. Regular coffee is available, as well as French vanilla or iced mochas. Food can be paired with a half bottle of wine if desired. Organic teas, beer (even gluten-free!), and juices are also served.
The restaurant is divided into four themed seating areas, each one designed like the backgrounds in the four films represented at the resort. The art on the walls are landscape paintings from the films.
Art of Animation Food Court Review— June 12th, 2012
Kevin Klose and John Magi review Landscape of Flavors, the food court at Disney's Art of Animation Resort.
Drop Off Pool Bar
Poolside snack bar features quick foods and pizza delivery.
Located near the food court is the Pixel Play Arcade, Ink and Paint Gift Shop and airline check-in counters.
Services for Kids
While activities around the resort will vary by season, there is never a shortage of things to do for the kids. Poolside activities happen throughout the day and range from games like "Name that Tune" and "Disney Trivia" to "Nemo Bingo" and "Fish Toss". Activities normally start in the afternoon and run into early evening. There is also pool parties and dance parties that happen each day around 3pm and 4pm respectively. Each night in the Lion King courtyard, a different Disney film is shown (times vary based on season, be sure to check the activities guide given to you at check-in for times and details).
One activity unique to Art of Animation is the "Sketch Artist of the Day". Kids can sketch their favorite Disney character and bring them to front desk by 4pm. The winning sketch is unveiled in the lobby at 5:45pm daily. You can get more information (as well as some art supplies) at the front desk. Another unique opportunity here is the chance to take a 'Draw Class' with a Disney artist and learn how to draw your favorite Disney characters. This is held in the playroom next to the front desk and happens at 11AM, 2PM and 5PM
The Pixel Play arcade is located right off the main lobby and is one of the larger arcades on property. The arcade offers a wide variety of games for all age groups (including some 'old school' video games for the parents). Some games award 'points' that can be redeemed for prizes. All the games work off the 'arcade card' system. You can obtain an arcade card in the arcade and purchase points to charge it up. The more points you purchase the better the deal. 50 points is $1, and 2000 points is $25 (you can also buy points for $5, $10 and $20). Cards can be recharged as needed and work in all arcades at Walt Disney World.
Babysitting Services - Babysitting is available through Kids Nite Out, Inc. - which is not owned or operated by Disney. Caregivers provide in-room services which include playing games, reading, and generally entertaining your kids. Services are also available through Kids Nite Out to plan parties and special events. Advanced reservations are required and services are available 24 hours per day. There is a 4 hour minimum for children 6 months to 12 years old. Cancellations must be made 24 hours in advance to avoid the 4 hour minimum cancellation fee. Reservations can be made by calling 407-828-0920.
In addition to the themed buildings, there are 4 courtyards at the resort - each one inspired by the four films represented here. Each courtyard features icons and sculptures for kids to play with and around.
The main pool at the resort is in the Finding Nemo courtyard - the "Big Blue" pool, themed around the film. At 11,859 square feet, this is the largest resort pool at Walt Disney World. While underwater, you'll hear music and the voices of Nemo, Dory and Crush. A giant Mr. Ray, whose wingspan is 27 feet, looks over the area, which includes a colorful reef and the East Australian Current. Get your picture taken with Crush or one of the other 2,500 figures decorating the resort. A children's splash area, the Righteous Reef, is the perfect place for your kids to cool off with Squirt.
For more poolside recreation, guests can head to the Pixel Play Arcade or the Drop Off pool bar.
"Quiet pools" are located in the Cars (Cozy Cone Pool) and The Little Mermaid (Flippin' Fins Pool) wings.
Art of Animation Fun Facts
- Total property size: 87 acres
- Family Suites size: 565 square feet
- The Nemo pool has 310,000 gallons and is the largest pool on Disney property, not counting water parks.
- If you combined all the swimming pools, you could park 125 cars inside the pools.
- Its 27 acres of landscaping and irrigation is the equivalent of twenty football fields.
- You will really feel like you are swimming with your Pixar pals in the big blue world as you can hear sounds and voices of favorite characters with 12 underwater speakers.
- If you look up at the lobby chandelier made up of various animator sketches, you can spot a Cars sketch signed by John Lasseter himself.
- The resort has 227,000 lineal feet of carpet, which if laid out, could stretch from downtown Orlando to Kennedy Space Center.
- There are over 529,000 square feet of ceramic tiles on the project, enough to cover a standard two-lane road four miles long.
- If you stacked up all the doors at the resort, they would be as tall as the Empire State Building.
- There's enough metal railing to wrap around the new Amway Center eight times.
- The project used 23,000 gallons of paint, which is enough to fill a typical backyard swimming pool.
- There are over 2,300 parking spaces within the project, which is approximately the number of players in the NFL.
- More than 800 construction jobs were created, and at full operation it will create 750 resort hotel jobs.
- Blog - A Monstrous 24-Hour "All-Nighter" at Magic Kingdom
- VIDEO: DIS Unplugged - Live From Aulani - 05/21/13 - Follow along with us as we go beyond the parks!
- Blog - 7 in 7: Art of Animation Resort
- VIDEO: Disney Beyond The Parks - Producing the Aulani Live Show - Visit http://www.wdwinfo.com/beyondtheparks/#hawaii to view the full DIS Unplugged show from Aulani in Hawaii. For the latest updates on our trip to Aulani and Hawaii, visit http://new.livestream.com/TheDIS/aulani Join the DIS Team as we explore Disney beyond the parks, starting with Aulani, a Disney Resort and Spa in Hawaii!
- Follow along as the DIS goes... Beyond The Parks!! - Members of the DIS Unplugged podcast team are headed to Disney's Aulani Resort, sailing on an Alaskan Disney cruise and taking an Adventures by Disney Backstage Magic trip!
- Blog - Help! A Walt Disney World Vet’s First Time at Disneyland – Part 5
- Watch our live broadcast from Disney's Aulani Resort - Tue. May 21 at 8pm EDT - Disney... Beyond The Parks! Come with us as we visit Disney's Aulani Resort, sail on an Alaskan Disney cruise, and take an Adventures By Disney trip! We're kicking off the trip with a live broadcast from Disney's Aulani Resort - Tue. May 21, 2013 8:00pm EDT.
- Livestream coverage of Star Wars Weekends events - Photos and video of Star Wars Weekends at Disney's Hollywood Studios.
- Blog - Star Wars Weekends 2013 comes to Disney’s Hollywood Studios
- Schedule of artists for the Eat to the Beat concerts - As with all Disney events, themed entertainment is part of the festivities. Visitors to the Food and Wine Festival can "Eat to the Beat!"
- Festival of the Masters dates released for November 2013 - This art festival will be held at Downtown Disney November 8-10, 2013.
- Blog - FIRST LOOK: Disney's MyMagic+ MagicBand - The DIS got a first look at Disney's new MagicBands which are part of their MyMagic+ rollout! Take a look at the photos of the MagicBand and a brief review of what we thought about wearing them...
- Blog - Summer Dooney & Bourke Release Update
- Schedule released for Star Wars Weekends - Schedule for the events during Star Wars Weekends.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Disney's Hollywood Studios - Sunset Boulevard - With our "Disney Park Bench" series, we're giving you a 5-minute break to relax with the sights and sounds of Walt Disney World.
- Free admission to Blizzard Beach for Annual Passholders today! - Today, May 16, Annual Passholders will get complimentary admission to Disney's Blizzard Beach Water Park after 2:00 pm. Complimentary refreshments and giveaways will take place at Lottawatta Lodge.
- Blog - Moving the Needle at the Orlando Theme Parks
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Magic Kingdom - Crystal Palace - With our "Disney Park Bench" series, we're giving you a 5-minute break to relax with the sights and sounds of Walt Disney World.
- Adventurers Outpost meet and greet location opens at Animal Kingdom - The new indoor meet and greet location for Mickey and Minnie is now open in Discovery Island.
- November 2013 Disney World park hours added
- Details released for 2013 Epcot Food and Wine Festival - A Scotland marketplace will be added. Dates for the Party for the Senses, as well as a partial schedule for the Eat to the Beat concerts also released.
- Summer edition coming to Celebrate the Magic show - The summer edition of this show will start later this month, possibly May 24, during the 24-hour Monstrous Summer event.
- Cirque du Soleil closed for refurbishment through May 27 - The next performance of Cirque du Soleil will be May 28.
- Blog - The Contemporary Resort Hotel – Walt Disney World’s Resort Loop Hotels
- Book a trip during the Free Dining promotion! - Free dining is available for check-ins between 9/2 and 9/25/13!
- New operating hours for Splitsville at Downtown Disney - Splitsville, Downtown Disney's luxury bowling alley, has updated its hours of operation.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench Video - Art of Animation - Wheel Well Hotel - With our "Disney Park Bench" series, we're giving you a 5-minute break to relax with the sights and sounds of Walt Disney World.
- Typhoon Lagoon to close for refurbishment - Disney's Typhoon Lagoon water park will be closed from May 12 - May 16 for refurbishment.
- Blog - Merida becomes a Disney Princess (Includes Coronation Video)!
- Limited Time Magic: Make a Moment in Time Out of Mother's Day - Stop by Tren-D or the World of Disney Store at Downtown Disney to see the new collection of watches designed just for the occasion. Moms will receive a flower on Mother's Day when they enter the theme parks.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Coronado Springs - Marina Courtyard - With our "Disney Park Bench" series, we're giving you a 5-minute break to relax with the sights and sounds of Walt Disney World.
- Life-size rancor replica and three one-man shows coming to Star Wars Weekends - Guests will have a photo op with a replica rancor, Jabba the Hut's prized pet. There will also be three one-man shows performed by some of the celebrity guests.
- 30% off Room Only offer available for the general public! - Guests can save up to 30% when they book a Room Only reservation at select Walt Disney World resorts for most nights 8/15/13 - 9/28/13.
- Free Dining offer available for the general public! - Walt Disney World has announced a Free Dining offer for the general public!
- Raglan Road to host Summer Solstice Celebration - Master Chef Kevin Dundon has created the five-course menu for this meal, celebrating the Summer Solstice with fresh, seasonal flavors. Wines have been chosen for each course. Celebrating the Summer Solstice is a time-honored tradition and marks the official start to summer.
- Blog - Disney’s Animal Kingdom’s Split Personality
- Celebrity list updated for Star Wars Weekends - The list of celebrities appearing at Star Wars Weekends later this month has been updated.
- Truckeria Rolling Tacos food truck parked at Downtown Disney this week - Food is available from 6pm - 11pm and will include tacos, chips and salsa.
- Walt Disney World Annual Passholders can save up to 35% at select hotels - Annual passholders can save up to 35% when booking a Room Only reservation at select Walt Disney World hotels. Discount is valid for travel between 6/4/13 - 8/15/13.
- 30% off Room Only offer for Disney Visa cardholders! - Disney Visa cardholders can save up to 30% when they book a Room Only reservation at select Walt Disney World resorts for most nights 8/15/13 - 9/28/13.
- Free Dining offer announced for Disney Visa cardholders! - Disney Visa cardholders can book a Walt Disney World vacation package for 9/2/13 - 9/25/13 and receive the Disney Dining Plan for free!
- Walt Disney World golf courses offer new Players Club program - For $29 per month, members can use the practice ranges for free and take advantage of free daily golf clinics (Monday-Friday) led by PGA-certified golf instructors, as well as receive other discounts.
- Blog - May the Fourth Be with You: Intergalactic Star Wars Shopping
- Limited Time Magic: Celebrate Cinco de Mayo at Epcot - Meet the Three Caballeros, enjoy live music, marionettes, folkloric dancing and songs by Mariachi Cobre.
- Limited Time Magic: Merida Becomes an Official Disney Princess - In a royal coronation ceremony at the Magic Kingdom, Merida (from the film Brave) will be christened as an official Disney Princess.
- Blog - New Disney Dooney & Bourke Release This Summer
- List of performers for 2013 Night of Joy concerts - Disney’s Night of Joy features contemporary Christian performers. The star-studded lineup is always outstanding and features a host of Dove Award and Grammy Award winning artists.
- Blog - Help! A Walt Disney World Vet’s First Time at Disneyland – Part 4
- "The Simpsons" area officially announced for Universal Orlando
- 11-year-old girl molested on Disney Dream; Disney Cruise Line doesn't report incident promptly
- Disney and Lucasfilm announce new animated Star Wars series
- Walt Disney World uses online job fair to hire employees
- Former Disney World employee arrested on pornography charges
- Half-hour Toy Story special coming to ABC this fall
- Expedition Cafe to open with SeaWorld's Antarctica exhibit
- Tour company uses wheelchairs to promise front of the line access at Walt Disney World?
- Calfornia adjusts safety citations and fines against Disneyland
- Disney and Electronic Arts to produce Star Wars video games
Today's Theme Park Hours
Epcot Future World:
Epcot World Showcase:
|9:00 - 12:00
9:00 - 9:00
11:00 - 9:00
8:00 - 10:00
8:00 - 8:00
9:00 - 6:00
9:00 - 6:00
Extra Magic Hour Evening: Magic Kingdom