Disney’s Animal Kingdom is not just the newest U.S. park for Disney, but it’s also the one that gets the most criticism as to whether or not it’s a worthy theme park. Some criticize the park and call it a glorified zoo. I was a naysayer myself until I finally visited, but now, it is one of my favorite parks. In order to dispel the myth for those who haven’t gone yet, here are five reasons why Animal Kingdom is more than a zoo.
- Theming– Like all things with Disney, the theming of the park is incredible. Each section in the park transports you to a new place that can make you forget you’re in a theme park (at least for a while).
- Food– I’m sure there are some zoos out there that have decent food, but the food at Disney’s Animal Kingdom is so much better than the average zoo or even theme park food. The park has a good mix of adventurous favorites as well as safe choices for picky eaters. Add in a great character meal with Tusker House Restaurant, and you have just about everything a Disney foodie could ask for.
- Shows– The Festival of the Lion King is one of the best shows on Disney property, if not the best. The acrobats, costumes, music, and audience participation makes this a show that’s not to be missed, and this is just one of the shows at this park.
- Attractions– Animal Kingdom has its fair share of great rides. Flight of Passage is quite arguably the best attraction at Walt Disney World Resort, and Expedition Everest can rival many theme park rides, while rides like Primeval Whirl can satisfy the younger crowds. Kilimanjaro Safaris is a unique experience of its own that immerses you into the animal life. Collectively, there is more than enough to do in this park in regard to rides.
- Atmosphere– Disney theme parks are filled with little extras, and Animal Kingdom is no exception. While some of the entertainment has been cut recently, there is still so much to love at the park. So, to the naysayers who think Animal Kingdom is just a half-day park or can be skipped altogether, try another visit to see all that you’ve been missing.