Late Tuesday evening, a 19-page document was filed outlining a planning meeting that includes the court schedule and proposed trial dates from both the Plaintiff and the Defendants in the Disney vs. DeSantis lawsuit. Disney requested a July 2024 court date, while Florida Governor Ron DeSantis’ counsel is asking for the trial to begin in August 2025, after the November 2024 presidential election.
Walt Disney Parks & Resorts filed a lawsuit back on April 26, 2023, responding to DeSantis’ [then] endeavors to replace Disney’s own Reedy Creek Improvement District with his personal, hand-picked board. In the lawsuit, Disney accuses DeSantis of various actions that violated the company’s First Amendment and other constitutional rights. The suit alleges that these actions were retaliatory based on Disney’s public opposition to the so-called “don’t say gay” law regarding parental rights in schools that was passed in Florida.
Yesterday, the legal counsel for DeSantis filed a Motion to Dismiss the federal lawsuit Disney World filed against him, stating that DeSantis and the Secretary of the Florida Department of Economic Opportunity are both “immune from suit.”
Along with the court date proposals, the schedule reveals other vital dates regarding the case, as noted below.
Plaintiff proposes the following case schedule:
- Fact discovery completed by January 15, 2024
- Expert disclosures should be made no later than January 15, 2024, and expert discovery should be completed by March 15, 2024.
- Motions for Summary Judgment and Judgment on the Pleadings shall be due April 1, 2024.
- Plaintiff’s suggested trial date is July 15, 2024
Defendant proposes the following case schedule:
- Fact discovery completed by January 3, 2025
- Expert disclosures should be made no later than January 3, 2025, and expert discovery should be completed by March 15, 2025.
- Motions for Summary Judgment and Judgment on the Pleadings shall be due April 1, 2025.
- Defendants’ suggested trial date is August 4, 2025
The filed document can be viewed in its entirety below.
Senior Editor for the DIS and DCL Fan | Disney Vacation Club Member | Thrilled to have been a '13/'14 Disney Parks Moms Panelist (now planDisney) | Lover of all things Disney; the Magic of Disneyland, Walt Disney World, and Disney Cruise Line | ºoº