We have been enjoying Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month with all sorts of special treats. For those visiting Disneyland or Walt Disney World, there are special food and drink items to enjoy, and for anyone in the Disney Springs area, be sure to catch the Art Walk installation featuring AAPI artists. Now we have something everyone can make from home to celebrate the occasion while adding some magic to your mid-week dinner. We are making this plant-based dish from Magic Kingdom Park‘s Jungle Navigation Co. Ltd. Skipper Canteen.
Plant-based Perkins Thai Noodles at Jungle Navigation Co. Ltd. Skipper Canteen – D23
½ cup sambal oelek
1 tablespoon minced garlic
½ cup red wine vinegar
¼ cup lime juice
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
3 tablespoons canola oil
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
8 ounces firm tofu, drained
PAD THAI SAUCE
¾ cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons sambal oelek
1½ teaspoons minced garlic
2 teaspoons fresh grated ginger
1 tablespoon sriracha, or to taste
¾ cup low-sodium soy sauce
¼ cup rice vinegar
2 tablespoons mirin
¼ cup diced scallions
4 teaspoons sesame oil
PERKINS THAI NOODLES
1 pound Thai rice noodles
¼ cup canola oil
1 cup thinly sliced yellow onion
2 tablespoons minced garlic
marinated tofu, drained
1 cup spinach
1 cup diced yellow squash
1 cup diced zucchini
½ cup shredded carrots
½ cup sliced red pepper
1 cup snap peas
¼ cup chopped green onions
Pad Thai sauce
FOR MARINATED TOFU
- Combine sambal oelek, garlic, vinegar, lime juice, cilantro, canola oil, salt, and pepper in large bowl.
- Cut tofu into 1-inch squares and place in bowl with marinade. Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours.
FOR PAD THAI SAUCE
Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl. Set aside until ready to use.
FOR PERKINS THAI NOODLES
- Cook rice noodles according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Heat oil in large sauté pan or wok over medium heat for 5 minutes or until shimmering. Add onions and cook 5 to 8 minutes, until soft and beginning to brown. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add drained tofu and cook for 2 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and cook 2 more minutes.
- Pour sauce over vegetables and cook for 3 minutes.
- Turn off heat and add noodles, tossing well. Serve hot.
Always use caution when handling sharp objects and hot contents.
Please supervise children who are helping or nearby.
This recipe has been converted from a larger quantity in the restaurant kitchens.
The flavor profile may vary from the restaurant’s version.
You can find this scrumptious meal featured in Delicious Disney: Walt Disney World—Recipes & Stories from The Most Magical Place on Earth by Pam Brandon, Marcy Carriker Smothers & the Disney Chefs.
Zoë Wood is a travel writer from Sydney, Australia. Since her first visit to Disneyland at the age of 6, she has spent her years frequently visiting Disney Parks and traveling around the world.
Join Zoë as she lets you in on all the tips, tricks, anecdotes, and embarrassments that arise from her family adventures.