At today’s International Documentary Association event, Disney+ was invited to share more about the documentary and nonfiction content coming to the streaming service. Several new titles were announced during the presentation.
New titles include:
- Howard – The documentary from director Don Hahn sharing the story of lyricist Howard Ashman will stream exclusively on Disney+ in 2020. Ashman, along with composer Alan Menken, was responsible for modern-day classics like The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, and Aladdin.
- People & Places – The series, from production company Supper Club, will focus on real-life stories of extraordinary people and places from around the world, all told by new and established filmmakers.
- Mickey Mouse Documentary – Documentary filmmaker Morgan Neville (Won’t You Be My Neighbor?) is working on a yet-untitled documentary centering on Mickey Mouse, and his role as a cultural icon.
- Wolfgang – Also from Supper Club, director David Gelb is creating a look at the life and work of celebrity chef Wolfgang Puck.
Disney+ also announced that actress/director Gillian Jacobs will be directing an episode of the upcoming Marvel’s 616 series, plus word that the Emmy Award winning documentary Science Fair from National Geographic will stream exclusively on Disney+.
Science Fair centers on nine high school students from different parts of the world as they get ready to compete at The International Science and Engineering Fair, encountering rivalries, setbacks, and hormones along the way.
Ricky Strauss, Disney+ president of content & marketing, said of the announcements:
“Disney has a rich history in nonfiction storytelling that dates back to the 1940s. The projects announced and showcased here today reflect Disney+’s commitment to building on Walt’s storytelling ethos and core values of creativity, innovation, and exploration”
Disney+ also gave those in attendance a look at other previously announced nonfiction content including:
- Encore! – Producer Kristen Bell talked about this series that brings together former high school classmates and has them recreating their performances in their high school musical. Encore! will be available when Disney+ debuts on November 12th.
- The Imagineering Story – Director/producer Leslie Iwerks shared a look inside her upcoming six-hour documentary series that will be available November 12th.
- The World According to Jeff Goldblum – Goldblum shared an episode of the series that goes inside his curious mind, unraveling familiar objects like sneakers, ice cream, or tattoos. This series will also be available November 12th.