UPDATE 04/16/20: Disney announced that Artemis Fowl will be available for streaming on Disney+ beginning June 12th. The fantastical epic adventure stars Ferdia Shaw, Lara McDonnell, Josh Gad, Tamara Smart, Nonso Anozie, Josh McGuire, Nikesh Patel, Adrian Scarborough, Colin Farrell, and Judi Dench.
Director Kenneth Branagh said of the announcement:
"Artemis Fowl is a true original. In challenging times, a twelve year old criminal mastermind is one heck of a traveling companion. Smart, funny, and cool as mustard, he’ll take you to new worlds, meet unforgettable characters, and mix magic with mayhem. His own family is everything to him, and (although he’d never admit it), he’d be as proud as I am that families around the world will now be able to enjoy his first amazing screen adventures together, on Disney +."
UPDATE 04/13/20: Disney has made some additional changes, bumping the release date of Soul from June to November, which then prompts the move of Raya and the Last Dragon to March. The full schedule has been updated below.
Disney has made major changes to their theatrical release calendar following the delays of Mulan, Black Widow, and Artemis Fowl that were set to debut this spring. Films are being pushed back, some into 2021, including Jungle Cruise which will now premier in July 2021. Artemis Fowl will now move over to the Disney+ streaming service.
The new Disney/Pixar/Marvel calendar looks something like this:
- Jul 24, 2020 - Mulan (Was Mar 2020)
- Aug 14, 2020 - The One and Only Ivan
- Sep 4, 2020 - The Beatles: Get Back
- Nov 6, 2020 - Black Widow (Was May 2020)
- Nov 10, 2020 - Soul (Was Jun 19, 2020)
- Feb 12, 2021 - Eternals (Was Nov 6, 2020)
- Mar 21, 2021 - Raya and the Last Dragon (Was Nov 25, 2020)
- May 7, 2021 - Shang Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (Was Feb 12, 2021)
- May 28, 2021 - Cruella
- Jul 30, 2021 - Jungle Cruise (Was Jul 24, 2021)
- Oct 15, 2021 - Hamilton
- Nov 5, 2021 - Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (Was May 7, 2021)
- Feb 18, 2022 - Thor: Love and Thunder (Was Nov 5, 2021)
- May 6, 2022 - Black Panther 2
- Jul 8, 2022 - Captain Marvel 2 (Was Jul 22, 2022)
- Jul 29, 2022 - Untitled Indiana Jones movie (Was Jul 9, 2021)
Disney+ has not announced a release date for Artemis Fowl.
There were some changes on the Fox side of things as well:
- Aug 7, 2020 - Empty Man
- Sep 18, 2020 - The King's Man
- Oct 9, 2020 - Death on the Nile
- Oct 16, 2020 - The French Dispatch (Was Jul 14, 2020)
- Oct 23, 2020 - Everybody's Talking About Jamie
- Nov 13, 2020 - Deep Water
- Dec 11, 2020 - Free Guy (Was Jul 3, 2020)
- Dec 18, 2020 - West Side Story
- Dec 25, 2020 - The Last Duel
- Feb 26, 2021 - Ron's Gone Wrong
- Apr 9, 2021 - Bob's Burgers (Was Jul 17, 2020)
- Dec 17, 2020 - Avatar 2
- Jan 14, 2022 - Nimona
Several films have not yet been scheduled, including The Personal History of David Copperfield, Antlers, Woman in the Window, and The New Mutants.
With the re-opening date for theaters still not set, release dates could change again.
Source: The Hollywood Reporter