Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge is where the Star Wars universe comes to life and guests are able to live the adventures, with interactive technology, characters and Cast Members.
This new land was built from the ground up to work with the Play Disney Parks App. Once guests enter Galaxy’s Edge, their mobile device becomes a Star Wars: Datapad, where they can play games and earn credits to unlock more storytelling.
The main functions of the Datapad are:
- Hack – Interact with certain droids, blinking door panels and other scenic elements
- Scan – Explore the contents of cargo crates and other containers and collect virtual items
- Translate – Understand written languages from the Star Wars galaxy
- Tune – Tap into the signals from satellite dishes and antenna arrays to eavesdrop on characters’ conversations
The Datapad also features a mulitplayer game called “Outpost Control,” which happens several times throughout the day.
The game has the First Order trying to install surveillance cameras in door panels so that they can spy on the Resistance, while members of the Resistance are trying to remove the. Guests can choose a side and start hacking panels. The winning side is the one that hacked more of the available panels at the end of the game.
Guests waiting for Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run can also participate in an exclusive in-queue game where they prove to Hondo Ohnaka that they are prepared to pilot the Falcon.
In addition to the interactive Datapad, guests will also have a chance to interact with Star Wars characters throughout the land.
- Rey will be recruiting new Resistance fighters near the ancient ruins outside Black Spire Outpost.
- Kylo Ren may appear at the First Order encampment near Docking Bay 7 and, with his Stormtroopers, march through Black Spire Outpost trying to locate members of the Resistance.
- Resistance spy Vi Moradi will wander through Black Spire Outpost sharing the tricks of her trade and promoting the Resistance.
- Chewbacca will be looking for new Resistance fighters in the Black Spire Outpost or near the Resistance encampment.
- Stormtroopers patrolling Black Spire Outpost may questions guests about the Resistance and their involvement.
Cast Members inside Galaxy’s Edge also join in on the adventure.
- Cast Members have become part of the story, working to create their own identities as citizens of Batuu.
- Their costumes took three years for Imagineers to develop. They feature a modular design so that Cast Members can pick from different options that fit the personality they want to portray. Choices include tunics, wraps, and vests, plus necklaces, scarves, and hats.
- Galaxy’s Edge specific name tags feature Cast Member’s names in Aurebesh, the written language of the Star Wars universe.