Epcot - Guardians of the Galaxy
World Discovery Attractions
Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind
- Opened: May 27, 2022
- Handicapped Accessibility: Must transfer from wheelchair/ECV
- Height Requirements: 42"
OVERVIEW / HISTORY
Saving the galaxy this time is gonna take more than a dance-off. Guests visiting EPCOT at Walt Disney World Resort better get ready to crank up the mixtape and blast through an awesome intergalactic chase through time and space in Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind!
This thrilling new family-friendly coaster matches the “grandosity” and fun of the blockbuster Guardians of the Galaxy films, featuring those lovable cosmic misfits – Rocket, Groot, Drax, Gamora and Star-Lord. The attraction is another major milestone in the ongoing transformation of EPCOT and debuts as part of the Walt Disney World 50th Anniversary celebration.
Located in the park’s newly renamed World Discovery neighborhood, Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind is the first “other-world” showcase pavilion at EPCOT. Xandarians traveled from their homeworld in the Andromeda galaxy to Earth – or Terra, as they call it – to build this Wonders of Xandar pavilion, inviting EPCOT guests to learn more about their people and their advanced technologies. Until the Guardians arrive, anyway, and adventure ensues …
On August 13, 2017, The Universe of Energy, which hosted Ellen's Energy Adventure closed to make way for this new Guardians of the Galaxy-themed attraction.
A New Kind of Family Thrill
In addition to the Wonders of Xandar pavilion, Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind will offer several other “firsts,” including:
- The first coaster attraction at EPCOT.
- The first reverse launch for a Disney coaster.
- The first Walt Disney World attraction to feature the Guardians of the Galaxy.
- I am Groot.
The Wonders of Xandar Pavilion
Xandarians have come to Earth and are hard at work building their new EPCOT pavilion. Highlights include:
- The Galaxarium, a sweeping planetarium-style space showcasing planets, stars and other intergalactic wonders that connect Terra and Xandar.
- The Xandar Gallery, where guests will discover more about the Xandarian people, culture and history – including the heroes of Xandar – through specially crafted displays and projections.
- I … am … Grooooot.
Just like the Guardians of the Galaxy films, Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind weaves classic pop music – or “poet sorcery,” as Gamora would say – into the fabric of its experience. The attraction’s onboard audio cranks hit tunes from the ’70s and ‘80s as guests race through the cosmos.
- Disney Imagineers tested more than 100 potential songs for the attraction.
- Imagineers used a combination of virtual and physical rides to assess which tracks best matched the spirit and movement of the coaster, finally choosing six songs in their original classic versions:
- Disco Inferno
- Everybody Wants to Rule the World
- I Ran
- One Way or Another
- Guests won’t know which song they’ll hear each time they ride until they jump into space with the Guardians.
Glenn Close will reprise her role from Guardians of the Galaxy as Nova Prime, the leader of Xandar and commander of the Nova Corps. Riders will see Nova Prime in the new Wonders of Xandar “other-world” pavilion at EPCOT, which the Xandarians are currently constructing in the park’s newly renamed World Discovery neighborhood. It’s here that guests will learn more about Xandarians and their advanced technologies, which they’re bringing to us here on Earth – or Terra, as they call our planet.
Guests can hunt for Guardians of the Galaxy-themed fashions, accessories, home décor, collectibles and toys at the Treasures of Xandar shop, located at the Wonders of Xandar pavilion. The Xandarians hired The Broker to operate this new merchandise location on Terra, which debuts several new product lines, including:
- What if the Guardians were rock stars? Inspired by vintage concert merchandise of the 1980s, the Heroes of Xandar Collection imagines all of the gear and memorabilia fans would collect during the Guardians’ fictional intergalactic tour.
- The 1980s nostalgia continues with a bold and colorful line celebrating Peter Quill’s childhood visit to EPCOT. The Guardians of the Galaxy: Through the Eyes of Quill Collection features retro silhouettes and graphic designs evoking decades past.
- After helping save the galaxy, guests of all ages are invited to show off their new hero status in style with the Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind – Honorary Guardians Collection. Honorary Guardians will be distinguished in their rank through the official Honorary Guardian colors of navy and gold paired with the Honorary Guardian emblem, which is proudly displayed on each item in the collection.
- The Groot Through the Years Collection celebrates the sentient tree-like creature and his journey to becoming a defender of the galaxy. The collection, which includes toys, home décor and children’s apparel, illustrates Groot’s evolution from baby to adolescent to adult.
AWESOME FUN FACTS
- A Starblaster ship rests in a docking stand outside the Wonders of Xandar pavilion, the first full-size version of this Xandarian ship ever built.
- Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind is the longest fully enclosed coaster in any Disney theme park and one of the longest enclosed coasters in the world.
- The attraction covers more than 200,000 square feet, with its main show building stretching longer than an American football field. This massive structure’s foundation contains more than 80 miles of rebar and 9,000-plus cubic yards of concrete. By volume, four Spaceship Earths would fit inside this show building.
- Academy Award® nominee Glenn Close reprises her role from “Guardians of the Galaxy” as Nova Prime Irani Rael, the leader of Xandar and commander of the Nova Corps.
- Disney Imagineers were on the set of “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3” to film with the Guardians for this new attraction.
- Composer Tyler Bates from the “Guardians of the Galaxy” films created more than two hours of new music for the attraction’s score.
- Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind features more than 75 minutes of original content.
- I am Groot.