We reported last week that Siemens was ending their sponsorship with the Walt Disney Company later this year and this news has raised all sorts of questions amongst DISboard readers. Posters are expressing their concerns on why Disney needs sponsorships anyway while others explain that it’s not that Disney necessarily ‘needs’ sponsors, but that it’s mutually beneficial to have them. There are also mixed feelings on speculated changes that may or may not happen to beloved attractions with the majority of posters seemingly worried.
Take a look at some of the comments we’re seeing on the topic:
- Poster ‘fractalpotato‘ started the thread entitled, “Future of Illuminations and Spaceship Earth in Question with Siemens Announcing End of Partnership” on our Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies forum.
- ‘Carrie Lynn‘ expresses her concern by saying, “Those are the two things I enjoy most at Epcot.”
- ‘toonaspie‘ says, “I worry they’ll completely gut out SSE [Spaceship Earth] and Disney-fy the whole thing.”
- ‘DisneyHolidayFan‘ says, “Illuminations is my #1 attraction in all of WDW (especially the Christmas version)!! Will be sad to see it leave!”
- Poster ‘Disney_and_Wine‘ stops by to remind everyone that “No major changes occurred when AT&T pulled its sponsorship. AT&T bowed out on 1/1/03 and Siemens entered the picture on 11/1/05 announcing a 12-year deal. So there was [nearly] a [three-year] gap period.”
There are a much smaller number of posters who invite change.
- ‘ArwenMarie‘ wonders, “Is there any ride that is sacred enough not to get a new overlay one day?”
- Poster ‘goofyintoronto‘ is one of the few who says, “Personally I’m ok with Illuminations being scrapped for something else.”
So, what are your thoughts on this topic? Do you think there is cause for concern? Do you look forward to whatever changes come our way?
Let us know in the comments below or head over to our Facebook page and join the conversation there.
Photo Source: Siemens
Senior Editor for the DIS and DCL Fan | Disney Vacation Club Member | Thrilled to have been a '13/'14 Disney Parks Moms Panelist (now planDisney) | Lover of all things Disney; the Magic of Disneyland, Walt Disney World, and Disney Cruise Line | ºoº