**Update: The following notice has just been issued regarding runDisney events tomorrow, January 7.
“In an abundance of caution, the Walt Disney World Resort has cancelled all running events on Saturday, Jan. 7, 2017 due to weather conditions. This includes the Walt Disney World Half Marathon and the Disney Kids Races. In addition, the runDisney Health & Fitness Expo will delay opening until 11 a.m. While we share our Guests’ obvious disappointment, the safety of our Guests and Cast is most important. Weather tracking has indicated there is an elevated risk of lightning in the area of the racecourse. In addition, there are sections of the course that do not provide immediate access to shelter. Both of these factors have influenced this difficult decision.
All registered half marathon runners will receive their half marathon medal and may choose from one of the following options:
- A full refund for their race registration in the form of a Disney gift card.
- Two One-Day Park Hopper tickets.
- Defer registration to another runDisney half marathon race in the U.S. within the next 24 months, subject to availability.
- We can offer limited availability to run the full marathon on Sunday, Jan. 8, 2017 during the regularly scheduled race.
- All registered runDisney Kids Race runners will receive their Kids Race medal and a full race registration in the form of a Disney gift card.
Details on the fulfillment of the above options will be communicated by 10 p.m. this evening.”
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Inclement weather conditions will affect a couple of events at Walt Disney World tomorrow, January 7.
The Walt Disney World Half Marathon is scheduled to take place tomorrow. The event will continue as scheduled, even if there is rain, but if there is lightning present, the event will be postponed and/or cancelled. To get updates about the status of the race, runners can follow the official @runDisney Twitter account, check the Digital Event Guide, the WDW Marathon event page on Facebook or by texting “WDW [bib number]” to 72147.
The 8:15 seating of the Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show at Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort has been cancelled on January 7. Guests can call Disney to inquire about a refund.
Leah grew up in a little farming town in Illinois, right on the Mississippi River. Her Chicago-born husband, David, left the city for her, and they're now raising their three children (Jacob, Jonah and Lydia) just 12 miles from her hometown. As the Senior Editor of the DIS (wdwinfo.com), Leah spends a lot of time writing about, reading about, and discussing Disney. So, it should come as no surprise that one of her family's favorite ways to spend time is going to Walt Disney World and traveling on Disney Cruise Line. She also enjoys shopping, watching movies with her husband and doing crafts with and for her kids.