Beginning this summer, Walt Disney World Resort guests will be able to interact with Disney stories in new ways through the magic of technology, with the launch of Disney’s newest wearable, MagicBand+.
If you watched the DIS Unplugged this week, you may have heard the team discussing the accidental early release of these little beauties that took place at Disney World. They were quickly removed from shelves, but not before a decent number of guests were able to purchase them. Disney has said that they can be returned for a full refund, but we’re thinking people will hang onto them.
Once they officially go on sale this summer, this new MagicBand will enhance guests’ visits to Walt Disney World throughout the 50th anniversary celebration and beyond.
MagicBand technology can be used at Walt Disney World to make visits more convenient, with park and guest room entry*, retail and dining*, Disney PhotoPass service, and more.
The next-generation MagicBand+ will retain those popular features and add new functionality to unlock experiential moments of magic throughout the theme parks and resorts.
The following new experiences are coming exclusively to MagicBand+:
- “Disney Fab 50 Quest”: Guests can embark on a scavenger hunt throughout the four Walt Disney World theme parks using MagicBand+ to help spread pixie dust and interact with the golden character sculptures.
- “Star Wars: Batuu Bounty Hunters”: Over in Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, guests can use their MagicBand+ to find numerous virtual bounties hidden throughout Black Spire Outpost. MagicBand+ will be their guide, vibrating and lighting up to show if guests are on the right path. Once a guest’s mission is complete, the local guild master will reward them with galactic credits.
- MagicBand+ comes alive: After a guest enters a theme park, MagicBand+ will come alive at various times with color-changing lights, haptic vibrations, and gesture recognition, enhancing the environment’s storytelling
- Play Disney Parks mobile app connection: Guests can dive deeper into the interactive theme park experiences with the Play Disney Parks mobile app. This option allows guests to keep track of sculptures found in the “Disney Fab 50 Quest,” unlock digital achievements, help them reveal their virtual bounty using the built-in augmented reality thermal viewer during “Star Wars: Batuu Bounty Hunters” and more**.
- Nighttime spectacular integration: Guests can experience nighttime spectaculars in a new way as they see their bands light up and complement the magic in the skies, including the new “Harmonious” at EPCOT and “Disney Enchantment” at Magic Kingdom Park.
Disney Resort hotel guests and Walt Disney World Annual Passholders will be given the option to purchase at a discounted, pre-arrival price.
Guests may continue to use their existing MagicBand and Disney MagicMobile, available on eligible devices, to enjoy other features, such as park entry*. The original MagicBand product will continue to be available for purchase as well. With MagicBand+, guests are immersed in the theme parks like never before.
*Guests can use MagicBand and MagicBand+ to enter Walt Disney World theme parks with valid admission and theme park reservations, enter their Disney Resort hotel room, and charge food and merchandise purchases to the payment card on file at their Disney Resort hotel room during their stay.
**To use the Play Disney Parks mobile app to enhance the MagicBand+ experience, guests must be logged into the Play Disney Parks app with the Disney account linked with their MagicBand+.
Senior Editor for the DIS and DCL Fan | Disney Vacation Club Member | Thrilled to have been a '13/'14 Disney Parks Moms Panelist (now planDisney) | Lover of all things Disney; the Magic of Disneyland, Walt Disney World, and Disney Cruise Line | ºoº