UPDATE 11:35 a.m.:
BREAKING: A spokeswoman for @HarvestEnergy tells me the 61-year-old man killed in an accident on Disney property this morning worked for their company. He died when he slipped into a vat of restaurant cooking oil that the company recycles into energy. pic.twitter.com/RXCrWzgVAp
— Amanda Ober (@AmandaOberWESH) August 15, 2018
A 61-year-old man died overnight after he slipped and fell into a vat of oil according to the Orange County Sheriff’s Office.
Deputies say that two workers “were emptying oil and grease byproduct from a semi-truck into a vat at a Reedy Creek energy facility off of Western Way near Cast Connection and Property Control.”
According to officials, another worker attempted to rescue the victim from the vat but was unsuccessful as the man in the vat became overwhelmed by the fumes.
The Reedy Creek Fire Department recovered the victim’s body. He has not been identified.