DVC Frequently Asked Questions
Deciding to join the Disney Vacation Club is a big decision. We all went through it, and we had a thousand questions in the process. One of the goals for this web site was to try and answer as many questions as possible here. The DVC bulletin board is also a great source of information.
- What are the benefits of membership?
- How does the point system work?
- How do I know how many points to purchase?
- Can I use my points at other resorts?
- What if I decide not to keep it?
- What should I know about buying timeshares through a resale company?
- Still have Questions?
DIS Unplugged Web Radio Show Podcast
Discuss | RSS Feed | Add to iTunes | Podcast Main
There are a number of benefits to joining the DVC. First, the value of the points that you purchase will never change. The same value you receive today, will be the same value you receive in 30 years. While the cost of staying at a Disney hotel rises by 5-10% per year, this is a great hedge against inflation. Members also receive discounts at Pleasure Island and Disney Water Parks. DVC offers discounts at a variety of WDW restaurants, recreational programs and tours. A complete list is provided to members when they check in at their resort.
Members also receive a $100 discount on Annual Passes and $125 off of a Premium Annual Pass.
You also have the benefit of being able to book at your home resort up to 11 months in advance of your check out date. Your home resort is the resort at which you purchased your interest. Current DVC resorts are Old Key West (OKW), Boardwalk Villas (BWV), Vero Beach (VB), Hilton Head Island (HH), Villas at Wilderness Lodge (VWL), Beach Club Villas (BCV) and Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa and the Animal Kingdom Villas. You can reserve up to 7 months in advance at any DVC location that is not your home resort.
Membership in Disney Vacation Club is included with ownership at a DVC Resort. The program is currently scheduled to end on January 31, 2042 for OKW, BWV, VWL and BCV. After that date, the present resorts will revert back to Disney ownership. Ownership rights may be transferred to others in a will or by a direct sale, after consult with DVC.
DVC has added additional resorts which have a different end date. The Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa (SSR) memberships run through January 31, 2054. At the Animal Kingdom Villas, the membership runs through January 31, 2047.
All of the discount programs are subject to change and may be modified at any time, but the DVC resorts and their total points may not be changed.
DVC Point Calculator and a DVC Point Chart. I suggest that you enter in some sample information, based on what type of vacation habits you have, to find out how many points would be appropriate for you.
Many ask if Disney Vacation Club will change the point requirement for a stay at a DVC resort. While the total number of points sold at the resort is a fixed number and cannot be changed, point needs for stays can be changed. However, if points needed for some nights (or room types) are raised, other nights (or room types) must be lowered, as the total points required to stay at the resort for the year cannot be changed. This has occurred only once, in 1996 at OKW, and is likely to happen only if necessary to keep resort utilization in balance for the benefit of DVC members. At that time some nights were raised a few points, some were lowered a few points and most were not changed at all.
The DVC is part of Interval International (a large, worldwide timeshare organization). Your Disney Vacation Club points can be traded for accommodations at many of the Interval Internationals resorts nationwide. You can also use your points to stay at other Disney resorts, as well as the DVC locations at Vero Beach, FL and Hilton Head, SC. and a number of other vacation opportunities such as the Disney Cruise Line and special Adventure programs.
You are free to sell your interest in the DVC just as you would any other real estate property. Many people list their DVC properties with companies such as the Timeshare Store, Inc. The Timeshare Store is a licensed Florida real estate company that acts as the broker for the sale and purchase of timeshare interests. You can get more info on The Timeshare Store by visiting their web site at http://www.timesharesale.com and info on their Disney Vacation Club Resales specifically at http://www.dvc-resales.com
There are a couple of things you should keep in mind when purchasing resale. First, watch out for companies who want to charge you any up front fees. You should never pay anything until a sale is final. Second, make sure that the resale agent you are dealing with is a licensed real estate agency. This lends a great deal of credibility to that agency, and gives you direct recourse (through the state board of realtors) should anything go wrong. We recommend The Timeshare Store in Orlando, FL. Many people who have visited this site have purchased Disney Vacation Club through them and have had excellent experiences in doing so.
Disney Vacation Club resorts are busy places, there is no question about that. However, if you plan far enough in advance, you should be able to get the dates you want without much of a problem. Remember, at your home resort, you can reserve up to 11 months in advance of your check out date and 7 months in advance at other DVC resorts.
All members have the same benefits and restrictions regardless how they joined the DVC. There is no negative to a membership purchased through resale.
If you have other questions that are not listed here, pay a visit to our DVC discussion forum. There you can ask any question you like of other DVC members. CLICK HERE to go to the boards!
- Tables in Wonderland adds blackout dates for several restaurants - The Tables in Wonderland program offers Florida Residents, DVC members and Annual Passholders 20% off of all food and beverage purchases at the participating Disney restaurants.
- Information on Holiday sleigh rides at Fort Wilderness - This horse-drawn "sleigh" ride is a fun way to celebrate the season.
- Marketplace menus for Epot International Food & Wine Festival - List of menu items for the marketplaces set up around World Showcase.
- Rehab planned in November for Magic Carpets of Aladdin - The Magic Kingdom attraction will be closed 11/10 - 11/21/2014.
- Food & Wine Festival Special Dining Experiences released - Bookings for these experiences begin July 31.
- 10 Places to Wait Out a Thunderstorm at Walt Disney World
- Disney Castaway Cay Challenge added to Princess Half Marathon Weekend - Runners who are registered for any of the Disney races (5K or longer) during the Weekend have the option to complete the Disney Castaway Cay Challenge when sailing on the Disney Dream February 23-27.
- Fantasia Miniature Golf Course rehab planned off and on for the next two weeks - Gardens Course closed 7/22-7/25/2014, 7/28-8/1/2014, 8/4-8/8/2014. The Fairways will still be open.
- Blog - I Can Go The Distance: Deciding is one thing, registering is another
- Save up to 30% on a Room Only reservation at Walt Disney World! - Valid for stays most nights 10/4/14 - 11/25/14 and 11/29/14 - 12/23/14.
- 2015 WDW hotel discount released for U.S. Military - Valid for stays most nights 9/28/14 - 10/3/15.
- All 3 remaining weekends sold out for Harambe Nights - July 26, August 2 and August 9 are sold out.
- Annual passholder discount for Spice Road Table - Through 9/17/14, Annual Passholders can get a 30% discount on their bill.
- 2015 Military Ticket Discount info released - Members of the military can purchase 4-day Magic Your Way tickets with Park Hopper option for $177 each.
- Changes to reservation times for Wishes Dessert Party - Reservations are all being set for 6:00pm, no matter when Wishes is taking place. The dessert party will actually take place one hour before Wishes.
- Frozen Summer Fun Premium package is sold out for all remaining dates - This package gives guests at Frozen Summer Fun Live reserved viewing for several events.
- Wild by Design tour to be discontinued after 9/26/14 - This tour takes place at Disney's Animal Kingdom.
- Fantasy Football Convention coming to ESPN Wide World of Sports - The convention will give attendees access to ESPN talent, a live fantasy football draft and more.
- Blog - Sneak Preview of What's Coming to the 2014 Epcot International Food & Wine Festival
- Dates and pricing released for ICE! at Gaylord Palms - Using two million pounds of ice, this Gaylord Palms Resort special ticket exhibit will be transformed into the North Pole.
- Blog - Disney's Magical Express Age Limit Changes: A Parent's & Teacher's Perspective
- Blog - Five Reasons Why We're Not Seeing "Planes: Fire & Rescue" in Theaters
- Blog updated - I Just Spent $20 on FastPasses! Would You? - The author has taken the tour she discussed in the blog - check out her thoughts to see if she would do this again!
- Blog - July 2014 Magic Kingdom Construction Update
- Information for Food & Wine Festival special dining experiences - book 7/31 - Premium events will be announced July 24 and can be booked on July 31 beginning at 7:00am EST. To book, call 407-WDW-FEST (939-3378).
- Princess Half Marathon fills in less than 24 hours - The Princess Half Marathon, the Princess Enchanted 10K and the Glass Slipper Challenge are sold out, filling less than 24 hours after registration opened.
- Dolphins at Epcot will be offstage through August 7 - Guests will not be able to see the dolphins at The Seas with Nemo & Friends. The Dolphins in Depth Tour will be unavailable during this time as well.
- Changes in parking due to Downtown Disney Remodel - Speeds in the area will be reduced, as well as lanes closed. Buena Vista Drive will be expanded to 10 lanes.
- Blog - Disney Responds to Disability Access Service Lawsuit