Details released about MyMagic+Leah Zanolla | Posted: Jan 7, 2013 | Updated: Jan 7, 2013 - 2:11:33 PM
When the Disney Parks and Resorts committed over a billion dollars to a project simply referred to as "NextGen," there was little information released regarding what exactly was going to happen. As time has passed, minor details have been revealed, but the question of "when" was never answered. Today, in a Disney Parks Blog post by Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Chairman Tom Staggs sheds some light on that question...sort of.
Photo Courtesy Disney Parks Blog
Officially, Staggs says the new technology, named MyMagic+, will be implemented "over the next several months." However, it's probably safe to assume the program will be in a test-and-adjust period at first, so "the next few months" could mean March or September. Regardless, this blog announcement marks the first official announcement that included a target time-frame, official name for the technology, as well as confirmed details of its functions.
At its simplest, MyMagic+ (and its sibling app titled "My Disney Experience") will attempt to allow guests to better customize their vacations while at Walt Disney World. The smartphone app will allow visitors to make plans both before and during their stays, whether it be for dining reservations or FastPasses (the latter can be done through the FastPass+ technology). FastPass+ has been in testing for months, and while the different tests seemed to have been tweaking its functionality, the premise remains the same: guests using FastPass+ will be able to book their FastPass return times (which may now have longer windows) before they arrive. While the specific workings of FastPass+ have not been revealed, a lot of information can be gleaned from the program's official terms and conditions.
Photo Courtesy Disney Parks Blog
For those concerned this new system of advanced FastPass reservations will harm the spontaneity of their visits, Staggs suggests guests can use the My Disney Experience app to "change their plans in the moment, exploring our parks at their own pace and getting the most out of their visit." However, it's not fully known what will happen to the existing FastPass system. Why is this an issue? The above cited terms and conditions clarify that FastPass+ reservations are only allowed for one park per day, a limitation not involved in the current system. In addition, the document states that "Magic Your Way ticketholders may make FastPass+ selections beginning 60 days prior to day of use. The selection window may vary for other admission tickets or passholders." It is unclear what those variations may be or how this window will affect guests that wait stay off property and wait to purchase their tickets until the day of their first visit.
As for the bracelets of which pictures have been floating around the Internet for months, they will officially be called MagicBands. These wristbands will "serve as a guest's room key, theme park ticket, access to FastPass+ selections, PhotoPass card and optional payment account all rolled into one."
As the program is slowly begun in the Walt Disney World theme parks over the coming months, we will continue to cover new developments of this technology.
Daily Email DIS Updates
Stay Informed With All Things Disney!
Enter your email address below to receive DIS Updates by email – including News, Blogs, Podcasts, Discounts, and Disney Updates.
Sign Up & Win A Prize!
Each month we select one of our subscribers at random and give away a prize! Prizes range from a $50 Disney Gift Card, Adventures by Disney trip for two, or a 7 day/6 night stay at Walt Disney World with dining for a family of four!
- Dates and seminars announced for Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Food & Wine Classic - 2014 will be the 5th year for this event that features wine and beer seminars, tasting stations and live music.
- VIDEO: 2014 Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival - One of the most welcome signs of spring is Epcot's annual International Flower & Garden Festival. While the grounds at Epcot are always beautiful, the Flower and Garden Festival takes them to the next level. At the festival you'll find gardens, topiaries, play areas, outdoor food kitchens, exhibits, music, and more.
- Blog - Disney's Festival of Fantasy Parade debuts at the Magic Kingdom!
- VIDEO - Disney Festival of Fantasy Parade - Festival of Fantasy is the brand new daily parade at the Magic Kingdom bringing the characters and stories of New Fantasyland to life! Brand new floats and costumes were produced for the parade featuring characters from Frozen, Beauty and the Beast, Cinderella, Princess and the Frog, Brave, Dumbo, Pinocchio, The Little Mermaid, Peter Pan, Sleeping Beauty, Tangled, Fantasia, Snow White and more!
- Photo Gallery of the Disney Festival of Fantasy Parade - The "Disney Festival of Fantasy Parade" celebrates New Fantasyland with new innovative floats, costumes and an all-new soundtrack that features songs from popular Disney films.
- VIDEO - Topiaries at Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival - The Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival is better than before in 2014 and features some of the most beautiful and elaborate topiaries seen anywhere. New this year includes 'Spring is in the Air!' featuring Goofy, Donald and Daisy as you enter the park; Soccer Goofy and Donald; and Kermit the Frog & Miss Piggy inspired by "Muppets Most Wanted". Returning favorites include Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Buzz Lightyear, Lightning McQueen, Tow Mater, Phineas and Ferb, Tinker Bell, Bambi and Friends, Peter Pan and Captain Hook, Winnie the Pooh and Friends, Classic Disney Couples, Woody, Lady and the Tramp, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, The Lion King, Pandas, Troll and Fantasia!
- VIDEO - Outdoor Kitchens at Epcot Flower & Garden Festival - After the popular introduction in 2013, the outdoor kitchens are back at the 2014 Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival serving up some of the finest and freshest food at Epcot in a similar fashion to the Food & Wine Festival. Outdoor kitchens include Pineapple Promenade, The Buttercup Cottage, Fleur de Lys, Taste of Marrakesh, Hanami, The Smokehouse: Barbecue and Brews, Primavera Kitchen, Florida Fresh, Lotus House, Jardin de Fiestas, and the new Urban Farm EATS!
- VIDEO - Festival Center at the Flower & Garden Festival - Video of the Festival Center at Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival 2014. The festival center is where you can find many of the seminars and presentations featured during the Festival.
- 2014 Flower & Garden Festival Photos - 2014 photo gallery of Epcot's International Flower & Garden Festival
- Inaugural Disney Fit Challenge to be held in September - Competitions will include tests of power, speed, balance, strength and endurance.
- Blog - A Shopping Oasis: Merchandise at Disney's Flower & Garden Festival
- Pollo Campero at Downtown Disney will be closing 3/19/14 - Pollo Campero, Bodie's All-American Grill and Babycakes NYC will be closing 3/19/14. Babycakes NYC will still be providing gluten-free items to select Walt Disney World food courts and restaurants.
- Blog - 2014 Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival opens in Epcot
- Registration for the Wine & Dine Half Marathon opens today - This race is held in conjunction with the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival.
- Blog - Haunted Mansion Merchandise Materializes in Disney Parks
- New dates for D23's Destination D - The event will be held November 22-23, 2014.
- 2015 Walt Disney World Marathon dates - Registration for the 2015 marathon begins 4/22/14.
- Blog - A Brit's Perspective - Changing of the Seasons at the Orlando theme parks
- Rebel Rendezvous merchandise event planned for Star Wars Weekends - Attendees will receive exclusive access to Darth's Mall a day before it opens to the public.
- Blog - A February Stroll through the Magic Kingdom
- Walt Disney World restaurants add Braille menus - Beginning March 1, select restaurants will be adding Braille menus, though a list of participating restaurants is not yet available. The Braille menus will have examples of the menu items but may not list all the short term or temporary items.
- Family Ticket offer - get one free day! - Get one FREE additional day on each ticket when you buy 6 or more 4-day or longer Magic Your Way tickets!
- Blog - Disney's Polynesian Resort is Changing in a Big Way
- Just announced! Festival of Fantasy parade will debut March 9! - This parade will run daily in the afternoons at the Magic Kingdom.
- Celebrate Earth Day at Disney's Animal Kingdom - The park is also celebrating the release of Disneynature's newest film Bears, which hits theaters April 18.
- Car Masters Weekend to be held at Downtown Disney - This event takes place June 14-15.
- Walt Disney World ticket prices increase - Ticket prices have gone up effective today, Sunday, February 23.
- Mighty St. Patrick's Day Festival planned for Downtown Disney - Downtown Disney celebrates St. Patrick's Day with live music, a step-by-step Irish jig workshop, classic Irish food and drink, Irish storytellers, Irish history and merchandise at Raglan Road's Shop.
- Star Wars Weekends - extra weekend added, plus Hyperspace Hoopla cancelled - A nightly fireworks show has been added instead of the Hyperspace Hoopla party.