Disney cast members offered full-time jobs with insuranceLeah Zanolla | Posted: Oct 2, 2013 | Updated: Oct 2, 2013 - 9:17:00 PM
427 part-time Walt Disney World cast members have been offered full-time jobs under the Affordable Care Act. In the last year, these cast members have worked over 1,500 hours, which is the new marker for when employers need to begin offering health care benefits. Several of the unions at Disney are concerned because some of the employees who are gaining health care actually have less years on the job than others, so they wouldn't normally be next in line for full-time work. Walt Disney World currently has 27,000 full-time cast members who are benefit eligible.
Many companies, including SeaWorld, are reducing their part-time hours to fall beneath the limit. SeaWorld's part-time employees will be capped at 28 hours instead of 32. The company does say full-time benefit-eligible employees will be added at all of its parks next year. SeaWorld currently has 4,400 full-time employees.
Daily Email DIS Updates
Stay Informed With All Things Disney!
Enter your email address below to receive DIS Updates by email – including News, Blogs, Podcasts, Discounts, and Disney Updates.
See AllDIS UPDATES
- 2015 WDW hotel discount released for U.S. Military - Valid for stays most nights 9/28/14 - 10/3/15.
- All 3 remaining weekends sold out for Harambe Nights - July 26, August 2 and August 9 are sold out.
- Annual passholder discount for Spice Road Table - Through 9/17/14, Annual Passholders can get a 30% discount on their bill.
- 2015 Military Ticket Discount info released - Members of the military can purchase 4-day Magic Your Way tickets with Park Hopper option for $177 each.
- Changes to reservation times for Wishes Dessert Party - Reservations are all being set for 6:00pm, no matter when Wishes is taking place. The dessert party will actually take place one hour before Wishes.
- Frozen Summer Fun Premium package is sold out for all remaining dates - This package gives guests at Frozen Summer Fun Live reserved viewing for several events.
- Wild by Design tour to be discontinued after 9/26/14 - This tour takes place at Disney's Animal Kingdom.
- Fantasy Football Convention coming to ESPN Wide World of Sports - The convention will give attendees access to ESPN talent, a live fantasy football draft and more.
- Blog - Sneak Preview of What's Coming to the 2014 Epcot International Food & Wine Festival
- Dates and pricing released for ICE! at Gaylord Palms - Using two million pounds of ice, this Gaylord Palms Resort special ticket exhibit will be transformed into the North Pole.
- Blog - Disney's Magical Express Age Limit Changes: A Parent's & Teacher's Perspective
- Blog - Five Reasons Why We're Not Seeing "Planes: Fire & Rescue" in Theaters
- Blog updated - I Just Spent $20 on FastPasses! Would You? - The author has taken the tour she discussed in the blog - check out her thoughts to see if she would do this again!
- Blog - July 2014 Magic Kingdom Construction Update
- Information for Food & Wine Festival special dining experiences - book 7/31 - Premium events will be announced July 24 and can be booked on July 31 beginning at 7:00am EST. To book, call 407-WDW-FEST (939-3378).
- Princess Half Marathon fills in less than 24 hours - The Princess Half Marathon, the Princess Enchanted 10K and the Glass Slipper Challenge are sold out, filling less than 24 hours after registration opened.
- Dolphins at Epcot will be offstage through August 7 - Guests will not be able to see the dolphins at The Seas with Nemo & Friends. The Dolphins in Depth Tour will be unavailable during this time as well.
- Changes in parking due to Downtown Disney Remodel - Speeds in the area will be reduced, as well as lanes closed. Buena Vista Drive will be expanded to 10 lanes.
- Blog - Disney Responds to Disability Access Service Lawsuit
See AllRECENT DISCUSSIONS
More Info ORLANDO HOTELS