Disney to make changes to Guest Assistance Card programLeah Zanolla | Posted: Sep 22, 2013 | Updated: Sep 23, 2013 - 2:34:53 PM
The current Guest Assistance Card (GAC) at the U.S. Disney theme parks will be replaced October 9 with a new program called the Disabled Assistance System (DAS). The GACs are used for guests who may require extra assistance in the parks. The DAS will be similar to the way the GACs work at rides like Star Tours, where the card holder is given a hand-written return time for the ride. This time is determined by the wait time in the standby line. Kiosks will be set up around the park where participants in the DAS program can go to set up their return time for the next attraction they would like to visit. Using the same method currently used with the hand-written Star Tours return card, guests will be given a return time based on the published standby wait time. Like with the current FastPass system, only one DAS return time can be had at one time. Currently, GAC holders can walk up to any attraction and use their card at any given time.
Unlike the current system, DAS cards will only be valid for one day. Guests will need to check in with Guest Relations to get their card, and will have their photo taken to be printed on the card. This will ensure that the correct cardholder be present to experience the ride or attraction and that the card cannot be used by another individual.
Changes involving wheelchair accessibility at the Disneyland parks are being enacted as well. At Disney California Adventure, "all queues and park facilities meet ADA requirements for wheelchair accessibility." Because of this, no extra accommodations will be extended to persons using a wheelchair or ECV and they may not qualify for a DAS card, unless there are other factors to take into account. There are 55 ride vehicle attractions at Disneyland; 38 of those queues are equipped for wheelchair access. At Walt Disney World, there are 46 ride vehicle attractions; 38 queues are wheelchair accessible.
When a ride queue is not accessible by wheelchair, a special accommodation of using the exit or FastPass entrance will be available, just as it is now. Eventually, all ride queues will be converted to be wheelchair accessible.
This new system will not apply to Make-A-Wish children visiting the theme parks. They will still have an unlimited FastPass so they can experience the parks without the long waits.
The GAC program has long been plagued by misuse and most recently, made national news when a travel company began selling the opportunity to take a disabled tour guide into the parks and use their GAC to have faster access to the attractions. The hope is that with this new system in place, the opportunity for this abuse will disappear.
Disney's goal with this new system is to still provide needed accomodations for guests with disabilities, but at the same time, make the park touring experience more consistent for all guests. The company has been working with disability groups such as Autism Speaks to determine the best way to move forward with the program.
Disneyland Resort spokeswoman Suzi Brown told the Orange County Register, "The current way certainly has been problematic, and we wanted to curb some of the abuse of this system."
Daily Email DIS Updates
Stay Informed With All Things Disney!
Enter your email address below to receive DIS Updates by email – including News, Blogs, Podcasts, Discounts, and Disney Updates.
See AllDIS UPDATES
- VIDEO - Disney Festival of Fantasy Parade - Festival of Fantasy is the brand new daily parade at the Magic Kingdom bringing the characters and stories of New Fantasyland to life! Brand new floats and costumes were produced for the parade featuring characters from Frozen, Beauty and the Beast, Cinderella, Princess and the Frog, Brave, Dumbo, Pinocchio, The Little Mermaid, Peter Pan, Sleeping Beauty, Tangled, Fantasia, Snow White and more!
- Photo Gallery of the Disney Festival of Fantasy Parade - The "Disney Festival of Fantasy Parade" celebrates New Fantasyland with new innovative floats, costumes and an all-new soundtrack that features songs from popular Disney films.
- VIDEO - Topiaries at Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival - The Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival is better than before in 2014 and features some of the most beautiful and elaborate topiaries seen anywhere. New this year includes 'Spring is in the Air!' featuring Goofy, Donald and Daisy as you enter the park; Soccer Goofy and Donald; and Kermit the Frog & Miss Piggy inspired by "Muppets Most Wanted". Returning favorites include Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Buzz Lightyear, Lightning McQueen, Tow Mater, Phineas and Ferb, Tinker Bell, Bambi and Friends, Peter Pan and Captain Hook, Winnie the Pooh and Friends, Classic Disney Couples, Woody, Lady and the Tramp, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, The Lion King, Pandas, Troll and Fantasia!
- VIDEO - Outdoor Kitchens at Epcot Flower & Garden Festival - After the popular introduction in 2013, the outdoor kitchens are back at the 2014 Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival serving up some of the finest and freshest food at Epcot in a similar fashion to the Food & Wine Festival. Outdoor kitchens include Pineapple Promenade, The Buttercup Cottage, Fleur de Lys, Taste of Marrakesh, Hanami, The Smokehouse: Barbecue and Brews, Primavera Kitchen, Florida Fresh, Lotus House, Jardin de Fiestas, and the new Urban Farm EATS!
- VIDEO - Festival Center at the Flower & Garden Festival - Video of the Festival Center at Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival 2014. The festival center is where you can find many of the seminars and presentations featured during the Festival.
- 2014 Flower & Garden Festival Photos - 2014 photo gallery of Epcot's International Flower & Garden Festival
- Inaugural Disney Fit Challenge to be held in September - Competitions will include tests of power, speed, balance, strength and endurance.
- Blog - A Shopping Oasis: Merchandise at Disney's Flower & Garden Festival
- Pollo Campero at Downtown Disney will be closing 3/19/14 - Pollo Campero, Bodie's All-American Grill and Babycakes NYC will be closing 3/19/14. Babycakes NYC will still be providing gluten-free items to select Walt Disney World food courts and restaurants.
- Blog - 2014 Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival opens in Epcot
- Registration for the Wine & Dine Half Marathon opens today - This race is held in conjunction with the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival.
- Blog - Haunted Mansion Merchandise Materializes in Disney Parks
- New dates for D23's Destination D - The event will be held November 22-23, 2014.
- 2015 Walt Disney World Marathon dates - Registration for the 2015 marathon begins 4/22/14.
- Blog - A Brit's Perspective - Changing of the Seasons at the Orlando theme parks
- Rebel Rendezvous merchandise event planned for Star Wars Weekends - Attendees will receive exclusive access to Darth's Mall a day before it opens to the public.
- Blog - A February Stroll through the Magic Kingdom
- Walt Disney World restaurants add Braille menus - Beginning March 1, select restaurants will be adding Braille menus, though a list of participating restaurants is not yet available. The Braille menus will have examples of the menu items but may not list all the short term or temporary items.
- Family Ticket offer - get one free day! - Get one FREE additional day on each ticket when you buy 6 or more 4-day or longer Magic Your Way tickets!
- Blog - Disney's Polynesian Resort is Changing in a Big Way
- Just announced! Festival of Fantasy parade will debut March 9! - This parade will run daily in the afternoons at the Magic Kingdom.
- Celebrate Earth Day at Disney's Animal Kingdom - The park is also celebrating the release of Disneynature's newest film Bears, which hits theaters April 18.
- Car Masters Weekend to be held at Downtown Disney - This event takes place June 14-15.
- Walt Disney World ticket prices increase - Ticket prices have gone up effective today, Sunday, February 23.
- Mighty St. Patrick's Day Festival planned for Downtown Disney - Downtown Disney celebrates St. Patrick's Day with live music, a step-by-step Irish jig workshop, classic Irish food and drink, Irish storytellers, Irish history and merchandise at Raglan Road's Shop.
- Star Wars Weekends - extra weekend added, plus Hyperspace Hoopla cancelled - A nightly fireworks show has been added instead of the Hyperspace Hoopla party.
See AllRECENT DISCUSSIONS
More Info ORLANDO HOTELS