Disney to make changes to Guest Assistance Card programLeah Zanolla | Posted: Sep 22, 2013 | Updated: Sep 23, 2013 - 2:34:53 PM
The current Guest Assistance Card (GAC) at the U.S. Disney theme parks will be replaced October 9 with a new program called the Disabled Assistance System (DAS). The GACs are used for guests who may require extra assistance in the parks. The DAS will be similar to the way the GACs work at rides like Star Tours, where the card holder is given a hand-written return time for the ride. This time is determined by the wait time in the standby line. Kiosks will be set up around the park where participants in the DAS program can go to set up their return time for the next attraction they would like to visit. Using the same method currently used with the hand-written Star Tours return card, guests will be given a return time based on the published standby wait time. Like with the current FastPass system, only one DAS return time can be had at one time. Currently, GAC holders can walk up to any attraction and use their card at any given time.
Unlike the current system, DAS cards will only be valid for one day. Guests will need to check in with Guest Relations to get their card, and will have their photo taken to be printed on the card. This will ensure that the correct cardholder be present to experience the ride or attraction and that the card cannot be used by another individual.
Changes involving wheelchair accessibility at the Disneyland parks are being enacted as well. At Disney California Adventure, "all queues and park facilities meet ADA requirements for wheelchair accessibility." Because of this, no extra accommodations will be extended to persons using a wheelchair or ECV and they may not qualify for a DAS card, unless there are other factors to take into account. There are 55 ride vehicle attractions at Disneyland; 38 of those queues are equipped for wheelchair access. At Walt Disney World, there are 46 ride vehicle attractions; 38 queues are wheelchair accessible.
When a ride queue is not accessible by wheelchair, a special accommodation of using the exit or FastPass entrance will be available, just as it is now. Eventually, all ride queues will be converted to be wheelchair accessible.
This new system will not apply to Make-A-Wish children visiting the theme parks. They will still have an unlimited FastPass so they can experience the parks without the long waits.
The GAC program has long been plagued by misuse and most recently, made national news when a travel company began selling the opportunity to take a disabled tour guide into the parks and use their GAC to have faster access to the attractions. The hope is that with this new system in place, the opportunity for this abuse will disappear.
Disney's goal with this new system is to still provide needed accomodations for guests with disabilities, but at the same time, make the park touring experience more consistent for all guests. The company has been working with disability groups such as Autism Speaks to determine the best way to move forward with the program.
Disneyland Resort spokeswoman Suzi Brown told the Orange County Register, "The current way certainly has been problematic, and we wanted to curb some of the abuse of this system."
Daily Email DIS Updates
Stay Informed With All Things Disney!
Enter your email address below to receive DIS Updates by email – including News, Blogs, Podcasts, Discounts, and Disney Updates.
See AllDIS UPDATES
- List of characters updated for Villains Unleashed! event - Over 50 Disney villains will be taking over the park until the 13th hour!
- Beginning today, PhotoPass print packages are no longer offered table-side at character meals - This includes Chef Mickey's, 1900 Park Fare, 'Ohana, Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue, Disney's Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show and Tusker House Restaurant.
- Disney Visa cardholders can book Food & Wine Festival events early - Disney Visa cardholders can book special events two days earlier than the general public - on July 29 and July 30 from 7:00am-11:00pm EST.
- Tables in Wonderland adds blackout dates for several restaurants - The Tables in Wonderland program offers Florida Residents, DVC members and Annual Passholders 20% off of all food and beverage purchases at the participating Disney restaurants.
- Information on Holiday sleigh rides at Fort Wilderness - This horse-drawn "sleigh" ride is a fun way to celebrate the season.
- Marketplace menus for Epot International Food & Wine Festival - List of menu items for the marketplaces set up around World Showcase.
- Rehab planned in November for Magic Carpets of Aladdin - The Magic Kingdom attraction will be closed 11/10 - 11/21/2014.
- Food & Wine Festival Special Dining Experiences released - Bookings for these experiences begin July 31.
- 10 Places to Wait Out a Thunderstorm at Walt Disney World
- Disney Castaway Cay Challenge added to Princess Half Marathon Weekend - Runners who are registered for any of the Disney races (5K or longer) during the Weekend have the option to complete the Disney Castaway Cay Challenge when sailing on the Disney Dream February 23-27.
- Fantasia Miniature Golf Course rehab planned off and on for the next two weeks - Gardens Course closed 7/22-7/25/2014, 7/28-8/1/2014, 8/4-8/8/2014. The Fairways will still be open.
- Blog - I Can Go The Distance: Deciding is one thing, registering is another
- Save up to 30% on a Room Only reservation at Walt Disney World! - Valid for stays most nights 10/4/14 - 11/25/14 and 11/29/14 - 12/23/14.
- 2015 WDW hotel discount released for U.S. Military - Valid for stays most nights 9/28/14 - 10/3/15.
- All 3 remaining weekends sold out for Harambe Nights - July 26, August 2 and August 9 are sold out.
- Annual passholder discount for Spice Road Table - Through 9/17/14, Annual Passholders can get a 30% discount on their bill.
- 2015 Military Ticket Discount info released - Members of the military can purchase 4-day Magic Your Way tickets with Park Hopper option for $177 each.
- Changes to reservation times for Wishes Dessert Party - Reservations are all being set for 6:00pm, no matter when Wishes is taking place. The dessert party will actually take place one hour before Wishes.
- Frozen Summer Fun Premium package is sold out for all remaining dates - This package gives guests at Frozen Summer Fun Live reserved viewing for several events.
- Wild by Design tour to be discontinued after 9/26/14 - This tour takes place at Disney's Animal Kingdom.
- Fantasy Football Convention coming to ESPN Wide World of Sports - The convention will give attendees access to ESPN talent, a live fantasy football draft and more.
- Blog - Sneak Preview of What's Coming to the 2014 Epcot International Food & Wine Festival
- Dates and pricing released for ICE! at Gaylord Palms - Using two million pounds of ice, this Gaylord Palms Resort special ticket exhibit will be transformed into the North Pole.
- Blog - Disney's Magical Express Age Limit Changes: A Parent's & Teacher's Perspective
- Blog - Five Reasons Why We're Not Seeing "Planes: Fire & Rescue" in Theaters
- Blog updated - I Just Spent $20 on FastPasses! Would You? - The author has taken the tour she discussed in the blog - check out her thoughts to see if she would do this again!
- Blog - July 2014 Magic Kingdom Construction Update
- Information for Food & Wine Festival special dining experiences - book 7/31 - Premium events will be announced July 24 and can be booked on July 31 beginning at 7:00am EST. To book, call 407-WDW-FEST (939-3378).
- Princess Half Marathon fills in less than 24 hours - The Princess Half Marathon, the Princess Enchanted 10K and the Glass Slipper Challenge are sold out, filling less than 24 hours after registration opened.
- Dolphins at Epcot will be offstage through August 7 - Guests will not be able to see the dolphins at The Seas with Nemo & Friends. The Dolphins in Depth Tour will be unavailable during this time as well.
- Changes in parking due to Downtown Disney Remodel - Speeds in the area will be reduced, as well as lanes closed. Buena Vista Drive will be expanded to 10 lanes.
- Blog - Disney Responds to Disability Access Service Lawsuit
See AllRECENT DISCUSSIONS
More Info ORLANDO HOTELS