Federal Appeals Court Upholds Disney's Ban on SegwaysLeah Zanolla | Posted: Aug 31, 2012 | Updated: Aug 31, 2012 - 2:15:36 PM
by Jack Burgin
In a significant victory for Disney, a federal appeals court unanimously upheld Disney's safety-based ban on unrestricted use of Segways within Walt Disney World and Disneyland Resort. In 2007, three individuals filed a class action lawsuit under the Americans with Disabilities Act seeking to overturn Disney's ban on the use of Segways in Disney's theme parks. The parties ultimately decided to settle the class action lawsuit and received lower court approval for the settlement in April 2011. Several individuals objected to the settlement and appealed the decision. The United States Department of Justice also argue the settlement should be rejected.
In a decision released August 30, 2012, the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit, sitting in Atlanta, Georgia, affirmed the lower court's approval of the settlement. The court rejected the Department of Justice argument that Disney's safety ban violated ADA regulations issued in 2010 explaining that "During an extensive fairness hearing before the district court, Hale (Disney's Safety Officer) testified regarding the safety risks posed by the operation of Segways in Disney Resorts. The very factors Hale considered before deciding that Segways are too dangerous for operation in Disney Resorts are the very factors facilities are required to consider under the new regulation... The district court found that based upon this testimony Disney is likely to succeed at trial" in showing that the Segway ban does not violate the ADA.
The court also explained why its decision did not conflict with the July 2012 decision from the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit (in California) in Baughman v. Walt Disney World Co. In the earlier decision, the Ninth Circuit instructed a lower court to decide whether Disney could ban Segways on safety grounds. But in yesterday's decision, the Eleventh Circuit explained that the lower court had conducted a "well reasoned analysis" which found that Disney's safety-based ban did not violate the ADA regulations.
The terms of the settlement permit both Disney theme parks to continue the blanket ban on unrestricted Segway use. Disney will also be able to require guests wanting to use standing mobility aids to rent the electrically powered vehicle developed by Disney (for the same fee it charges for an electronic convenience vehicle (EVC)). Disney has also promised "to use its discretion about waiving the rental fee in particular circumstances (such as when qualified guests bring their own Segway)."
The effect of the Eleventh Circuit's decision on Ms. Baughman's Segway lawsuit against Disneyland is not entirely clear. The settlement terms prevent Ms. Baughman (or anyone else) from seeking to overturn Disney's ban on unrestricted Segway use. The settlement does not appear to prohibit Ms. Baughman from seeking other relief (such as damages) so long as she does not ask the court to overturn Disney's ban on Segways. A hearing in Ms. Baughman's lawsuit is set for September 11, 2012.
See AllDIS UPDATES
- Blog - Disney's Festival of Fantasy Parade debuts at the Magic Kingdom!
- VIDEO - Disney Festival of Fantasy Parade - Festival of Fantasy is the brand new daily parade at the Magic Kingdom bringing the characters and stories of New Fantasyland to life! Brand new floats and costumes were produced for the parade featuring characters from Frozen, Beauty and the Beast, Cinderella, Princess and the Frog, Brave, Dumbo, Pinocchio, The Little Mermaid, Peter Pan, Sleeping Beauty, Tangled, Fantasia, Snow White and more!
- Photo Gallery of the Disney Festival of Fantasy Parade - The "Disney Festival of Fantasy Parade" celebrates New Fantasyland with new innovative floats, costumes and an all-new soundtrack that features songs from popular Disney films.
- VIDEO - Topiaries at Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival - The Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival is better than before in 2014 and features some of the most beautiful and elaborate topiaries seen anywhere. New this year includes 'Spring is in the Air!' featuring Goofy, Donald and Daisy as you enter the park; Soccer Goofy and Donald; and Kermit the Frog & Miss Piggy inspired by "Muppets Most Wanted". Returning favorites include Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Buzz Lightyear, Lightning McQueen, Tow Mater, Phineas and Ferb, Tinker Bell, Bambi and Friends, Peter Pan and Captain Hook, Winnie the Pooh and Friends, Classic Disney Couples, Woody, Lady and the Tramp, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, The Lion King, Pandas, Troll and Fantasia!
- VIDEO - Outdoor Kitchens at Epcot Flower & Garden Festival - After the popular introduction in 2013, the outdoor kitchens are back at the 2014 Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival serving up some of the finest and freshest food at Epcot in a similar fashion to the Food & Wine Festival. Outdoor kitchens include Pineapple Promenade, The Buttercup Cottage, Fleur de Lys, Taste of Marrakesh, Hanami, The Smokehouse: Barbecue and Brews, Primavera Kitchen, Florida Fresh, Lotus House, Jardin de Fiestas, and the new Urban Farm EATS!
- VIDEO - Festival Center at the Flower & Garden Festival - Video of the Festival Center at Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival 2014. The festival center is where you can find many of the seminars and presentations featured during the Festival.
- 2014 Flower & Garden Festival Photos - 2014 photo gallery of Epcot's International Flower & Garden Festival
- Inaugural Disney Fit Challenge to be held in September - Competitions will include tests of power, speed, balance, strength and endurance.
- Blog - A Shopping Oasis: Merchandise at Disney's Flower & Garden Festival
- Pollo Campero at Downtown Disney will be closing 3/19/14 - Pollo Campero, Bodie's All-American Grill and Babycakes NYC will be closing 3/19/14. Babycakes NYC will still be providing gluten-free items to select Walt Disney World food courts and restaurants.
- Blog - 2014 Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival opens in Epcot
- Registration for the Wine & Dine Half Marathon opens today - This race is held in conjunction with the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival.
- Blog - Haunted Mansion Merchandise Materializes in Disney Parks
- New dates for D23's Destination D - The event will be held November 22-23, 2014.
- 2015 Walt Disney World Marathon dates - Registration for the 2015 marathon begins 4/22/14.
- Blog - A Brit's Perspective - Changing of the Seasons at the Orlando theme parks
- Rebel Rendezvous merchandise event planned for Star Wars Weekends - Attendees will receive exclusive access to Darth's Mall a day before it opens to the public.
- Blog - A February Stroll through the Magic Kingdom
- Walt Disney World restaurants add Braille menus - Beginning March 1, select restaurants will be adding Braille menus, though a list of participating restaurants is not yet available. The Braille menus will have examples of the menu items but may not list all the short term or temporary items.
- Family Ticket offer - get one free day! - Get one FREE additional day on each ticket when you buy 6 or more 4-day or longer Magic Your Way tickets!
- Blog - Disney's Polynesian Resort is Changing in a Big Way
- Just announced! Festival of Fantasy parade will debut March 9! - This parade will run daily in the afternoons at the Magic Kingdom.
- Celebrate Earth Day at Disney's Animal Kingdom - The park is also celebrating the release of Disneynature's newest film Bears, which hits theaters April 18.
- Car Masters Weekend to be held at Downtown Disney - This event takes place June 14-15.
- Walt Disney World ticket prices increase - Ticket prices have gone up effective today, Sunday, February 23.
- Mighty St. Patrick's Day Festival planned for Downtown Disney - Downtown Disney celebrates St. Patrick's Day with live music, a step-by-step Irish jig workshop, classic Irish food and drink, Irish storytellers, Irish history and merchandise at Raglan Road's Shop.
- Star Wars Weekends - extra weekend added, plus Hyperspace Hoopla cancelled - A nightly fireworks show has been added instead of the Hyperspace Hoopla party.
See AllRECENT DISCUSSIONS
More Info ORLANDO HOTELS