Junk food ads will be banned from Disney mediaby Leah Zanolla
Jun 6, 2012
Disney is putting a stop to the junk food ads on their TV networks, radio stations and websites for kids. By 2015, the company will require any food and beverage advertising to meet government nutritional recommendations. Disney says these standards promote fruits and vegetables, limit calories and curb the intake of saturated fat, salt and sugar. A new "Mickey Check" logo has also been designed and will start showing up on food products by the end of 2012. According to the Disney Parks Blog, the Mickey Check will "be used as an icon to call out nutritious food and menu items sold in stores, online and at restaurants and food venues in our parks and resorts in the U.S. You'll start to see the icon by the end of 2012 on licensed foods products, on qualified recipes on Disney.com and Family.com and on menus and select products in Disney Parks and Resorts."
This is all part of the Disney Magic of Healthy Living Program, which is an initiative supported by U.S. First Lady Michelle Obama. The First Lady met with Disney Chairman and CEO Bob Iger in Washington D.C. at an event to promote the program. Disney is the first major media company to enforce such guidelines.
Iger says they hope to work with companies whose products don't currently meet the standards, so they may change their products to meet the guidelines and continue advertising with Disney.
Mrs. Obama commented, "The company's move is truly a game changer for the health of our children. Kids are exposed to $1.6 billion a year of food and beverage marketing. They are constantly bombarded with sophisticated messages designed to lure them to products that aren't always healthy for them." She hopes that other companies will follow suit with Disney and that parents will support this decision by "voting with their wallets."
Disney began making a change toward healthier options at their parks in 2006. They say that 85% of their licensed food products in the U.S. meet the nutrition guidelines and they are working to cut even more sugar and salt from the items.
See AllDIS UPDATES
- Marketplace menus for Epot International Food & Wine Festival - List of menu items for the marketplaces set up around World Showcase.
- Rehab planned in November for Magic Carpets of Aladdin - The Magic Kingdom attraction will be closed 11/10 - 11/21/2014.
- Food & Wine Festival Special Dining Experiences released - Bookings for these experiences begin July 31.
- 10 Places to Wait Out a Thunderstorm at Walt Disney World
- Disney Castaway Cay Challenge added to Princess Half Marathon Weekend - Runners who are registered for any of the Disney races (5K or longer) during the Weekend have the option to complete the Disney Castaway Cay Challenge when sailing on the Disney Dream February 23-27.
- Fantasia Miniature Golf Course rehab planned off and on for the next two weeks - Gardens Course closed 7/22-7/25/2014, 7/28-8/1/2014, 8/4-8/8/2014. The Fairways will still be open.
- Blog - I Can Go The Distance: Deciding is one thing, registering is another
- Save up to 30% on a Room Only reservation at Walt Disney World! - Valid for stays most nights 10/4/14 - 11/25/14 and 11/29/14 - 12/23/14.
- 2015 WDW hotel discount released for U.S. Military - Valid for stays most nights 9/28/14 - 10/3/15.
- All 3 remaining weekends sold out for Harambe Nights - July 26, August 2 and August 9 are sold out.
- Annual passholder discount for Spice Road Table - Through 9/17/14, Annual Passholders can get a 30% discount on their bill.
- 2015 Military Ticket Discount info released - Members of the military can purchase 4-day Magic Your Way tickets with Park Hopper option for $177 each.
- Changes to reservation times for Wishes Dessert Party - Reservations are all being set for 6:00pm, no matter when Wishes is taking place. The dessert party will actually take place one hour before Wishes.
- Frozen Summer Fun Premium package is sold out for all remaining dates - This package gives guests at Frozen Summer Fun Live reserved viewing for several events.
- Wild by Design tour to be discontinued after 9/26/14 - This tour takes place at Disney's Animal Kingdom.
- Fantasy Football Convention coming to ESPN Wide World of Sports - The convention will give attendees access to ESPN talent, a live fantasy football draft and more.
- Blog - Sneak Preview of What's Coming to the 2014 Epcot International Food & Wine Festival
- Dates and pricing released for ICE! at Gaylord Palms - Using two million pounds of ice, this Gaylord Palms Resort special ticket exhibit will be transformed into the North Pole.
- Blog - Disney's Magical Express Age Limit Changes: A Parent's & Teacher's Perspective
- Blog - Five Reasons Why We're Not Seeing "Planes: Fire & Rescue" in Theaters
- Blog updated - I Just Spent $20 on FastPasses! Would You? - The author has taken the tour she discussed in the blog - check out her thoughts to see if she would do this again!
- Blog - July 2014 Magic Kingdom Construction Update
- Information for Food & Wine Festival special dining experiences - book 7/31 - Premium events will be announced July 24 and can be booked on July 31 beginning at 7:00am EST. To book, call 407-WDW-FEST (939-3378).
- Princess Half Marathon fills in less than 24 hours - The Princess Half Marathon, the Princess Enchanted 10K and the Glass Slipper Challenge are sold out, filling less than 24 hours after registration opened.
- Dolphins at Epcot will be offstage through August 7 - Guests will not be able to see the dolphins at The Seas with Nemo & Friends. The Dolphins in Depth Tour will be unavailable during this time as well.
- Changes in parking due to Downtown Disney Remodel - Speeds in the area will be reduced, as well as lanes closed. Buena Vista Drive will be expanded to 10 lanes.
- Blog - Disney Responds to Disability Access Service Lawsuit
See AllRECENT DISCUSSIONS
More Info ORLANDO HOTELS