Lucasfilm announces Star Wars spinoff filmsLeah Zanolla | Posted: Feb 6, 2013 | Updated: Feb 16, 2013 - 12:06:04 AM
Ever since Disney purchased Lucasfilm in late 2012, the "Star Wars" franchise has been getting a lot of press. First came the news during the initial acquisition period that the original series of films would finally be getting their conclusion in Episodes 7, 8 and 9. To further whet fans' appetites, it was revealed that Episode 7 would be coming as soon as 2015. However, during a recent interview, Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy seemed to suggest a 2015 release date might not be a reality. In the interview, when discussing how she convinced marquee director J.J. Abrams (Lost, Fringe, Star Trek Into the Darkness), she stated, "Our goal is to move as quickly as we can, and we'll see what happens. The timetable we care about is getting the story." The decision to push back the target opening date for Episode 7 in order to put quality first was strengthened when Lucasfilm announced they would postpone releasing 3D versions of Episodes 2 and 3 (scheduled for release later this year) so as to focus all of their attention on the new film.
Today, Lucasfilm made an official announcement clarifying comments made by Disney CEO Bob Iger in a call to investors regarding the possibility of standalone "Star Wars" movies. In the call, Iger said, "We are in development of a few standalone films that are not part of the Star Wars saga...there are now creative entities working on developing scripts for what would be those standalone films." As it turns out, there will indeed be "spinoff" movies aiming to expand the "Star Wars" universe. Current plans call for at least two films, each revolving around a "specific character" planned for release sometime after Episode 7 hits theatres. One will be written by Lawrence Kasdan, writer of "The Empire Strikes Back" and co-writer of "Return of the Jedi." The other will be written by Simon Kinberg, screenwriter of "Sherlock Holmes" and "Mr. and Mrs. Smith."
UPDATE: Entertainment Weekly posted exclusive information regarding the possible characters around whom the standalone films would revolve. According to EW.com, the spinoffs would feature Han Solo and Boba Fett. The article also claims the Han Solo installment would take place between Episode 3 ("Revenge of the Sith") and Episode 4 (the original 1977 "Star Wars" film referred to as 'A New Hope'). The events of the Boba Fett spinoff would allegedly occur between either Episode 4 and 5 ("The Empire Strikes Back") or between Episodes 5 and 6 ("Return of the Jedi"). As the article notes, perhaps just as interesting as whom the central figures will be is the realization that both films, because of when they take place in "Star Wars" chronology, could employ the services of Darth Vader.
The EW.com article does remind readers that these plans are all tentative and could always change. As a result, "Lucasfilm and Disney declined to comment on the information."
Daily Email DIS Updates
Stay Informed With All Things Disney!
Enter your email address below to receive DIS Updates by email – including News, Blogs, Podcasts, Discounts, and Disney Updates.
Sign Up & Win A Prize!
Each month we select one of our subscribers at random and give away a prize! Prizes range from a $50 Disney Gift Card, Adventures by Disney trip for two, or a 7 day/6 night stay at Walt Disney World with dining for a family of four!
- Haunted Mansion merchandise shop coming to Magic Kingdom - The former Yankee Trader shop will become a Haunted Mansion merchandise location in the near future. The decor will be inspired by Madame Leota and will carry items from the Haunted Mansion Authentic program, such as apparel, home goods, souvenirs and more.
- Merchandise Events and Artist Appearances/Signings for August - List of authors and artists coming to the theme parks for signings and merchandise releases.
- List of characters updated for Villains Unleashed! event - Over 50 Disney villains will be taking over the park until the 13th hour!
- Beginning today, PhotoPass print packages are no longer offered table-side at character meals - This includes Chef Mickey's, 1900 Park Fare, 'Ohana, Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue, Disney's Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show and Tusker House Restaurant.
- Disney Visa cardholders can book Food & Wine Festival events early - Disney Visa cardholders can book special events two days earlier than the general public - on July 29 and July 30 from 7:00am-11:00pm EST.
- Tables in Wonderland adds blackout dates for several restaurants - The Tables in Wonderland program offers Florida Residents, DVC members and Annual Passholders 20% off of all food and beverage purchases at the participating Disney restaurants.
- Information on Holiday sleigh rides at Fort Wilderness - This horse-drawn "sleigh" ride is a fun way to celebrate the season.
- Marketplace menus for Epot International Food & Wine Festival - List of menu items for the marketplaces set up around World Showcase.
- Rehab planned in November for Magic Carpets of Aladdin - The Magic Kingdom attraction will be closed 11/10 - 11/21/2014.
- Food & Wine Festival Special Dining Experiences released - Bookings for these experiences begin July 31.
- 10 Places to Wait Out a Thunderstorm at Walt Disney World
- Disney Castaway Cay Challenge added to Princess Half Marathon Weekend - Runners who are registered for any of the Disney races (5K or longer) during the Weekend have the option to complete the Disney Castaway Cay Challenge when sailing on the Disney Dream February 23-27.
- Fantasia Miniature Golf Course rehab planned off and on for the next two weeks - Gardens Course closed 7/22-7/25/2014, 7/28-8/1/2014, 8/4-8/8/2014. The Fairways will still be open.
- Blog - I Can Go The Distance: Deciding is one thing, registering is another
- Save up to 30% on a Room Only reservation at Walt Disney World! - Valid for stays most nights 10/4/14 - 11/25/14 and 11/29/14 - 12/23/14.
- 2015 WDW hotel discount released for U.S. Military - Valid for stays most nights 9/28/14 - 10/3/15.
- All 3 remaining weekends sold out for Harambe Nights - July 26, August 2 and August 9 are sold out.
- Annual passholder discount for Spice Road Table - Through 9/17/14, Annual Passholders can get a 30% discount on their bill.
- 2015 Military Ticket Discount info released - Members of the military can purchase 4-day Magic Your Way tickets with Park Hopper option for $177 each.
- Changes to reservation times for Wishes Dessert Party - Reservations are all being set for 6:00pm, no matter when Wishes is taking place. The dessert party will actually take place one hour before Wishes.
- Frozen Summer Fun Premium package is sold out for all remaining dates - This package gives guests at Frozen Summer Fun Live reserved viewing for several events.
- Wild by Design tour to be discontinued after 9/26/14 - This tour takes place at Disney's Animal Kingdom.
- Fantasy Football Convention coming to ESPN Wide World of Sports - The convention will give attendees access to ESPN talent, a live fantasy football draft and more.
- Blog - Sneak Preview of What's Coming to the 2014 Epcot International Food & Wine Festival
- Dates and pricing released for ICE! at Gaylord Palms - Using two million pounds of ice, this Gaylord Palms Resort special ticket exhibit will be transformed into the North Pole.
- Blog - Disney's Magical Express Age Limit Changes: A Parent's & Teacher's Perspective
- Blog - Five Reasons Why We're Not Seeing "Planes: Fire & Rescue" in Theaters
- Blog updated - I Just Spent $20 on FastPasses! Would You? - The author has taken the tour she discussed in the blog - check out her thoughts to see if she would do this again!
- Blog - July 2014 Magic Kingdom Construction Update
- Information for Food & Wine Festival special dining experiences - book 7/31 - Premium events will be announced July 24 and can be booked on July 31 beginning at 7:00am EST. To book, call 407-WDW-FEST (939-3378).
- Princess Half Marathon fills in less than 24 hours - The Princess Half Marathon, the Princess Enchanted 10K and the Glass Slipper Challenge are sold out, filling less than 24 hours after registration opened.
- Dolphins at Epcot will be offstage through August 7 - Guests will not be able to see the dolphins at The Seas with Nemo & Friends. The Dolphins in Depth Tour will be unavailable during this time as well.
- Changes in parking due to Downtown Disney Remodel - Speeds in the area will be reduced, as well as lanes closed. Buena Vista Drive will be expanded to 10 lanes.
- Blog - Disney Responds to Disability Access Service Lawsuit