Lucasfilm announces Star Wars spinoff filmsLeah Zanolla | Posted: Feb 6, 2013 | Updated: Feb 16, 2013 - 12:06:04 AM
Ever since Disney purchased Lucasfilm in late 2012, the "Star Wars" franchise has been getting a lot of press. First came the news during the initial acquisition period that the original series of films would finally be getting their conclusion in Episodes 7, 8 and 9. To further whet fans' appetites, it was revealed that Episode 7 would be coming as soon as 2015. However, during a recent interview, Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy seemed to suggest a 2015 release date might not be a reality. In the interview, when discussing how she convinced marquee director J.J. Abrams (Lost, Fringe, Star Trek Into the Darkness), she stated, "Our goal is to move as quickly as we can, and we'll see what happens. The timetable we care about is getting the story." The decision to push back the target opening date for Episode 7 in order to put quality first was strengthened when Lucasfilm announced they would postpone releasing 3D versions of Episodes 2 and 3 (scheduled for release later this year) so as to focus all of their attention on the new film.
Today, Lucasfilm made an official announcement clarifying comments made by Disney CEO Bob Iger in a call to investors regarding the possibility of standalone "Star Wars" movies. In the call, Iger said, "We are in development of a few standalone films that are not part of the Star Wars saga...there are now creative entities working on developing scripts for what would be those standalone films." As it turns out, there will indeed be "spinoff" movies aiming to expand the "Star Wars" universe. Current plans call for at least two films, each revolving around a "specific character" planned for release sometime after Episode 7 hits theatres. One will be written by Lawrence Kasdan, writer of "The Empire Strikes Back" and co-writer of "Return of the Jedi." The other will be written by Simon Kinberg, screenwriter of "Sherlock Holmes" and "Mr. and Mrs. Smith."
UPDATE: Entertainment Weekly posted exclusive information regarding the possible characters around whom the standalone films would revolve. According to EW.com, the spinoffs would feature Han Solo and Boba Fett. The article also claims the Han Solo installment would take place between Episode 3 ("Revenge of the Sith") and Episode 4 (the original 1977 "Star Wars" film referred to as 'A New Hope'). The events of the Boba Fett spinoff would allegedly occur between either Episode 4 and 5 ("The Empire Strikes Back") or between Episodes 5 and 6 ("Return of the Jedi"). As the article notes, perhaps just as interesting as whom the central figures will be is the realization that both films, because of when they take place in "Star Wars" chronology, could employ the services of Darth Vader.
The EW.com article does remind readers that these plans are all tentative and could always change. As a result, "Lucasfilm and Disney declined to comment on the information."
Daily Email DIS Updates
Stay Informed With All Things Disney!
Enter your email address below to receive DIS Updates by email – including News, Blogs, Podcasts, Discounts, and Disney Updates.
Sign Up & Win A Prize!
Each month we select one of our subscribers at random and give away a prize! Prizes range from a $50 Disney Gift Card, Adventures by Disney trip for two, or a 7 day/6 night stay at Walt Disney World with dining for a family of four!
- Blog - A Shopping Oasis: Merchandise at Disney's Flower & Garden Festival
- Pollo Campero at Downtown Disney will be closing 3/19/14 - Pollo Campero, Bodie's All-American Grill and Babycakes NYC will be closing 3/19/14. Babycakes NYC will still be providing gluten-free items to select Walt Disney World food courts and restaurants.
- Blog - 2014 Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival opens in Epcot
- Registration for the Wine & Dine Half Marathon opens today - This race is held in conjunction with the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival.
- Blog - Haunted Mansion Merchandise Materializes in Disney Parks
- New dates for D23's Destination D - The event will be held November 22-23, 2014.
- 2015 Walt Disney World Marathon dates - Registration for the 2015 marathon begins 4/22/14.
- Blog - A Brit's Perspective - Changing of the Seasons at the Orlando theme parks
- Rebel Rendezvous merchandise event planned for Star Wars Weekends - Attendees will receive exclusive access to Darth's Mall a day before it opens to the public.
- Blog - A February Stroll through the Magic Kingdom
- Walt Disney World restaurants add Braille menus - Beginning March 1, select restaurants will be adding Braille menus, though a list of participating restaurants is not yet available. The Braille menus will have examples of the menu items but may not list all the short term or temporary items.
- Family Ticket offer - get one free day! - Get one FREE additional day on each ticket when you buy 6 or more 4-day or longer Magic Your Way tickets!
- Blog - Disney's Polynesian Resort is Changing in a Big Way
- Just announced! Festival of Fantasy parade will debut March 9! - This parade will run daily in the afternoons at the Magic Kingdom.
- Celebrate Earth Day at Disney's Animal Kingdom - The park is also celebrating the release of Disneynature's newest film Bears, which hits theaters April 18.
- Car Masters Weekend to be held at Downtown Disney - This event takes place June 14-15.
- Walt Disney World ticket prices increase - Ticket prices have gone up effective today, Sunday, February 23.
- Mighty St. Patrick's Day Festival planned for Downtown Disney - Downtown Disney celebrates St. Patrick's Day with live music, a step-by-step Irish jig workshop, classic Irish food and drink, Irish storytellers, Irish history and merchandise at Raglan Road's Shop.
- Star Wars Weekends - extra weekend added, plus Hyperspace Hoopla cancelled - A nightly fireworks show has been added instead of the Hyperspace Hoopla party.