New Disney app to work with NextGen Fastpasses?Leah Zanolla | Posted: Aug 5, 2012 | Updated: Sep 5, 2012 - 10:22:59 PM
We announced earlier this week that Walt Disney World has finally made free wi-fi available at the Magic Kingdom (will be coming to the other parks in a few months). While this is exciting enough news on its own, it looks like this is another step toward the NextGen experience that Disney is working on. The company released a new app for their parks guests, which will presumably work with the future updates to the Fastpass system. The app, My Disney Experience, is free and includes park maps, attraction wait times, dining information (including the ability to make dining reservations), character locations and much more.
The NextGen Fastpasses will allegedly use an RFID system (Radio Frequency Identification) in a bracelet. Speculation is that guests can reserve their Fastpasses on their phones, possibly through this new app, then the information will be sent to the bracelets. Once at the attraction, you'll tap your bracelet on a RFID reader and you'll be checked in. The app may let you keep track of your Fastpasses, such as when your return times are and when you are eligible to get a new one. The whole idea of the NextGen initiative is to really let guests customize and be in charge of their own experience while at the parks. This is already visible in the Dumbo queue; guests get a pager and can go play in an interactive area until they are paged that it is their turn to ride.
Disney has done some testing on the Fastpass bracelets and RFID readers have been spotted at several Magic Kingdom attractions, so it appears that more testing is coming soon. Disney has not yet made it clear when they expect all the NextGen components to be officially rolled out to guests.
Update 9/5/12: This app is now available for Android phones from Google Play. It was originally only available for iPhone and iPad.
See AllDIS UPDATES
- Blog - A Shopping Oasis: Merchandise at Disney's Flower & Garden Festival
- Pollo Campero at Downtown Disney will be closing 3/19/14 - Pollo Campero, Bodie's All-American Grill and Babycakes NYC will be closing 3/19/14. Babycakes NYC will still be providing gluten-free items to select Walt Disney World food courts and restaurants.
- Blog - 2014 Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival opens in Epcot
- Registration for the Wine & Dine Half Marathon opens today - This race is held in conjunction with the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival.
- Blog - Haunted Mansion Merchandise Materializes in Disney Parks
- New dates for D23's Destination D - The event will be held November 22-23, 2014.
- 2015 Walt Disney World Marathon dates - Registration for the 2015 marathon begins 4/22/14.
- Blog - A Brit's Perspective - Changing of the Seasons at the Orlando theme parks
- Rebel Rendezvous merchandise event planned for Star Wars Weekends - Attendees will receive exclusive access to Darth's Mall a day before it opens to the public.
- Blog - A February Stroll through the Magic Kingdom
- Walt Disney World restaurants add Braille menus - Beginning March 1, select restaurants will be adding Braille menus, though a list of participating restaurants is not yet available. The Braille menus will have examples of the menu items but may not list all the short term or temporary items.
- Family Ticket offer - get one free day! - Get one FREE additional day on each ticket when you buy 6 or more 4-day or longer Magic Your Way tickets!
- Blog - Disney's Polynesian Resort is Changing in a Big Way
- Just announced! Festival of Fantasy parade will debut March 9! - This parade will run daily in the afternoons at the Magic Kingdom.
- Celebrate Earth Day at Disney's Animal Kingdom - The park is also celebrating the release of Disneynature's newest film Bears, which hits theaters April 18.
- Car Masters Weekend to be held at Downtown Disney - This event takes place June 14-15.
- Walt Disney World ticket prices increase - Ticket prices have gone up effective today, Sunday, February 23.
- Mighty St. Patrick's Day Festival planned for Downtown Disney - Downtown Disney celebrates St. Patrick's Day with live music, a step-by-step Irish jig workshop, classic Irish food and drink, Irish storytellers, Irish history and merchandise at Raglan Road's Shop.
- Star Wars Weekends - extra weekend added, plus Hyperspace Hoopla cancelled - A nightly fireworks show has been added instead of the Hyperspace Hoopla party.
See AllRECENT DISCUSSIONS
More Info ORLANDO HOTELS