Retirement plans for Disney CEO Bob Igerby Leah Zanolla
Oct 7, 2011
A new contract was announced today between the Walt Disney Company Board of Directors and Robert Iger. Iger will continue in his role as Disney President and CEO until March 31, 2015, when a new CEO will take over. After that date, he will serve as executive chairman until June 30, 2016. In addition to his current roles, Iger will also become chairman of the board in March of 2012, after current Chairman John E. Pepper retires at the 2012 annual shareholder meeting. Iger's current contract didn't expire until January 31, 2013, but the company wanted to ensure that they would have his leadership for several more years. This new agreement will also give them the chance to have a seamless transition in putting the next CEO in place.
Pepper said, "For more than six years, Bob Iger has proven he has that ability at the highest level. The Board is delighted that the company has been able to secure the longer-term continuation of Bob's unique blend of experience and leadership skills. His ability to bring together the many parts of Disney's business against a clear and proven strategy, while instilling a culture of innovation, collaboration and discipline, will continue to serve the long-term interests of shareholders."
Iger responded by saying, "I'm privileged and grateful to lead The Walt Disney Company and our talented, dedicated team at this exciting time. I'm committed to increasing long-term value for shareholders and am confident we will continue to do so through the successful execution of our core strategic priorities: the creation of high quality, branded content and experiences, the use of technology, and creating growth in numerous and exciting international markets."
The new agreement also led to an increase in base salary pay for Iger, up $500,000 to $2.5 million per year. He is also eligible for annual bonuses based on the performance of the company.
See AllDIS UPDATES
- Inaugural Disney Fit Challenge to be held in September - Competitions will include tests of power, speed, balance, strength and endurance.
- Blog - A Shopping Oasis: Merchandise at Disney's Flower & Garden Festival
- Pollo Campero at Downtown Disney will be closing 3/19/14 - Pollo Campero, Bodie's All-American Grill and Babycakes NYC will be closing 3/19/14. Babycakes NYC will still be providing gluten-free items to select Walt Disney World food courts and restaurants.
- Blog - 2014 Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival opens in Epcot
- Registration for the Wine & Dine Half Marathon opens today - This race is held in conjunction with the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival.
- Blog - Haunted Mansion Merchandise Materializes in Disney Parks
- New dates for D23's Destination D - The event will be held November 22-23, 2014.
- 2015 Walt Disney World Marathon dates - Registration for the 2015 marathon begins 4/22/14.
- Blog - A Brit's Perspective - Changing of the Seasons at the Orlando theme parks
- Rebel Rendezvous merchandise event planned for Star Wars Weekends - Attendees will receive exclusive access to Darth's Mall a day before it opens to the public.
- Blog - A February Stroll through the Magic Kingdom
- Walt Disney World restaurants add Braille menus - Beginning March 1, select restaurants will be adding Braille menus, though a list of participating restaurants is not yet available. The Braille menus will have examples of the menu items but may not list all the short term or temporary items.
- Family Ticket offer - get one free day! - Get one FREE additional day on each ticket when you buy 6 or more 4-day or longer Magic Your Way tickets!
- Blog - Disney's Polynesian Resort is Changing in a Big Way
- Just announced! Festival of Fantasy parade will debut March 9! - This parade will run daily in the afternoons at the Magic Kingdom.
- Celebrate Earth Day at Disney's Animal Kingdom - The park is also celebrating the release of Disneynature's newest film Bears, which hits theaters April 18.
- Car Masters Weekend to be held at Downtown Disney - This event takes place June 14-15.
- Walt Disney World ticket prices increase - Ticket prices have gone up effective today, Sunday, February 23.
- Mighty St. Patrick's Day Festival planned for Downtown Disney - Downtown Disney celebrates St. Patrick's Day with live music, a step-by-step Irish jig workshop, classic Irish food and drink, Irish storytellers, Irish history and merchandise at Raglan Road's Shop.
- Star Wars Weekends - extra weekend added, plus Hyperspace Hoopla cancelled - A nightly fireworks show has been added instead of the Hyperspace Hoopla party.
See AllRECENT DISCUSSIONS
More Info ORLANDO HOTELS