Theme park attendance report releasedLeah Zanolla | Posted: Jun 4, 2014 | Updated: Jun 4, 2014 - 10:02:37 PM
The Themed Entertainment Association released their report of 2013 attendance at theme parks around the world. None of the parks release official attendance numbers, so the report is an unofficial estimate, but the report is considered to be fairly accurate.
For the fourth year in a row, North American theme park attendance has grown over two percent; attendance at the top 25 parks worldwide is up 4.5 percent. The Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World topped the chart, with a 6 percent increase, up to 18 and a half million visitors. Universal Studios Florida had one of the largest increases in traffic, with a 14 percent jump in visitors bringing them to just over seven million. The Magic Kingdom had the opening of much of New Fantasyland to draw in guests, while Universal opened the Transformers ride, as well as the expansion to the Springfield area.
SeaWorld saw a decrease in attendance, something that doesn't come as a surprise after the backlash surrounding the controversial Blackfish documentary. However, that film wasn't released until the end of 2013, so it didn't actually have much to do with the decline. The drop is actually credited more to bad weather around some of the company's parks, as well as increased ticket prices.
Four international Disney parks made the top ten. Tokyo Disneyland actually came in as the number two visited park in the world with just over 17 million visitors, a 15.9 percent jump from 2012. Disneyland in California was third at 16 million visitors, followed closely by Tokyo Disney Sea with 14 million.
1. Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World, 6.0% change, 18,588,000 visitors
2. Tokyo Disneyland, Tokyo, Japan; 15.9% change; 17,214,000
3. Disneyland, Anaheim, CA; 1.5% change; 16,202,000
4. Tokyo Disney Sea, Tokyo, Japan; 11.3% change; 14,084,000
5. Epcot at Walt Disney World; 1.5% change; 11,229,000
6. Disneyland Park at Disneyland Paris; -6.9% change; 10,430,000
7. Disney's Animal Kingdom at Walt Disney World; 2.0% change; 10,198,000
8. Disney's Hollywood Studios at Walt Disney World; 2.0% change; 10,110,000
9. Universal Studios Japan; 4.1% change; 10,100,000
10. Disney's California Adventure at Disneyland Resort; 9.5% change; 8.514,000
11. Islands of Adventure at Universal Orlando; 2.0% change; 8,141,000
For the full report, click here.
Daily Email DIS Updates
Stay Informed With All Things Disney!
Enter your email address below to receive DIS Updates by email – including News, Blogs, Podcasts, Discounts, and Disney Updates.
See AllDIS UPDATES
- 2015 WDW hotel discount released for U.S. Military - Valid for stays most nights 9/28/14 - 10/3/15.
- All 3 remaining weekends sold out for Harambe Nights - July 26, August 2 and August 9 are sold out.
- Annual passholder discount for Spice Road Table - Through 9/17/14, Annual Passholders can get a 30% discount on their bill.
- 2015 Military Ticket Discount info released - Members of the military can purchase 4-day Magic Your Way tickets with Park Hopper option for $177 each.
- Changes to reservation times for Wishes Dessert Party - Reservations are all being set for 6:00pm, no matter when Wishes is taking place. The dessert party will actually take place one hour before Wishes.
- Frozen Summer Fun Premium package is sold out for all remaining dates - This package gives guests at Frozen Summer Fun Live reserved viewing for several events.
- Wild by Design tour to be discontinued after 9/26/14 - This tour takes place at Disney's Animal Kingdom.
- Fantasy Football Convention coming to ESPN Wide World of Sports - The convention will give attendees access to ESPN talent, a live fantasy football draft and more.
- Blog - Sneak Preview of What's Coming to the 2014 Epcot International Food & Wine Festival
- Dates and pricing released for ICE! at Gaylord Palms - Using two million pounds of ice, this Gaylord Palms Resort special ticket exhibit will be transformed into the North Pole.
- Blog - Disney's Magical Express Age Limit Changes: A Parent's & Teacher's Perspective
- Blog - Five Reasons Why We're Not Seeing "Planes: Fire & Rescue" in Theaters
- Blog updated - I Just Spent $20 on FastPasses! Would You? - The author has taken the tour she discussed in the blog - check out her thoughts to see if she would do this again!
- Blog - July 2014 Magic Kingdom Construction Update
- Information for Food & Wine Festival special dining experiences - book 7/31 - Premium events will be announced July 24 and can be booked on July 31 beginning at 7:00am EST. To book, call 407-WDW-FEST (939-3378).
- Princess Half Marathon fills in less than 24 hours - The Princess Half Marathon, the Princess Enchanted 10K and the Glass Slipper Challenge are sold out, filling less than 24 hours after registration opened.
- Dolphins at Epcot will be offstage through August 7 - Guests will not be able to see the dolphins at The Seas with Nemo & Friends. The Dolphins in Depth Tour will be unavailable during this time as well.
- Changes in parking due to Downtown Disney Remodel - Speeds in the area will be reduced, as well as lanes closed. Buena Vista Drive will be expanded to 10 lanes.
- Blog - Disney Responds to Disability Access Service Lawsuit
See AllRECENT DISCUSSIONS
More Info ORLANDO HOTELS