Disney, Sony team up for Russian contentby Leah Zanolla
Dec 27, 2006
Hollywood Reporter - MOSCOW -- Russian cinema audiences could soon be watching Disney-branded, locally made animation and adventure movies after Burbank's most famous family entertainment brand moves to Moscow.
The arrival in Russia in January of the Walt Disney Motion Pictures Group -- as part of a new direct distribution partnership between Buena Vista International and Sony Pictures Releasing International, which will handle Columbia TriStar titles -- marks a new milestone in the evolution of the film industry here, where United International Pictures and 20th Century Fox also now have Moscow offices.
Although primarily a move to take advantage of the booming Russian distribution market, Disney also sees it as an opportunity to acquire and co-produce local content to supplement U.S. product, according to Mark Zoradi, president of the Walt Disney Motion Picture Group.
"We are currently open to both acquiring and distributing other locally Russian made movies and are looking to co-produce local content in the coming year," Zoradi said.
"I would like nothing better than to see locally-made Disney-branded films (released in Russia)," Zoradi said, adding that Disney had already "started talking" to Russian creative talent with experience in both animation and live action.
The BVI/SPRI joint venture-- the 15th internationally between the two distribution companies -- reflects the growing maturity of a fast-growing market that has seen domestic boxoffice receipts spiral from about $120 million in 2002 to an estimated $400 million this year, with predictions for a billion-dollar market being achieved around 2010.
"There was no specific trigger (for the decision to go into self-distribution in Russia)," Zoradi said. "We are constantly looking at the growth markets of the world and when it makes sense, we believe that going into self-distribution can generate greater potential. There was a great desire by the wider Walt Disney Co. to enter Russia. Boxoffice is growing significantly and there was the desire to develop the Disney brand in Russia."
The distribution joint venture -- something BVI and SPRI have successfully set up in Mexico, Brazil, Thailand, Singapore and the Philippines -- is designed to make the best use of combined corporate management, sales and back-office skills while allowing separate marketing and promotion teams to best place the two companies' respective titles with exhibitors.
Market positioning began in earnest earlier this month when Zoradi and other joint-venture executives flew to Russia to present the cream of the 2007 release slate to more than 500 Russian exhibitors at a Moscow industry trade fair.
The 26-minute show reel, which highlighted such titles as Disney's "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End" and "Rattatouille" and Columbia TriStar's "Ghost Rider" and "Spider-Man 3," was designed to whet the appetite of cinema and multiplex manager on the eve of what promises to be another boom year in Russian distribution and exhibition.
The arrival of the new kids on the block is a development that local producers and distributors already are watching with interest.
"The Disney/Columbia TriStar approach in launching its theatrical distribution business is different to that of its rivals (UIP and Fox), who just changed the signboard of their licensed distributors to their own names," said Armen Dishdishian, vp (international) at Moscow production and distribution house Central Partnership.
"The decision to create a joint venture for theatrical distribution in Russia has pros and cons. Economies of scale will save some money in media buying and a combined product lineup will afford greater market power in booking films in theaters. But although marketing and promotion for each companies titles will be handled separately, there remains a risk of conflict of interest in Russia -- especially when the two studios plan to release their anchor projects in the U.S. at the same time. The kind of booking compromise in Russia that will have to be made then remains unclear."
His concerns are echoed by Alexander Semenov, publisher of influential magazine "Russian Cinema Business Today."
"Russians have their own tastes and preferences. Do they love American comic books in Russia? I dare say: 'No!' Until recently, no one had even contemplated the existence of a character named Batman and children had never seen Spider-Man or Superman in printed matter," Semenov said, adding that "Batman Begins" and "Superman Returns" flopped at the Russian boxoffice, taking $1.4 million and $1.9 million respectively, partially because of a lack of advertising.
The Russian distributors of "Spider-Man 2" took note, he said, and "didn't skimp" on an advertising campaign that eventually helped the movie make an impressive $9.35 million at the Russian boxoffice.
See AllDIS UPDATES
- Blog - Dole Whips are back at the Polynesian Village Resort at the new and disappointing Pineapple Lanai
- Shortened monorail operating hours now in place - The monorail will have a different operating schedule than normal as an automation upgrade takes place.
- Blog - The Good and Bad of "Toy Story of TERROR!" on Blu-ray
- American Idol Experience is now closed at Disney's Hollywood Studios - This attraction closed August 30, 2014. No definitive plans have been announced for this space.
- VIDEO: Oogie Boogie's Freaky Funhouse Show at Villains Unleashed - Oogie Boogie's Freaky Funhouse Show at Villains Unleashed brings Vegas to Walt Disney World. Villains Unleashed took over Disney's Hollywood Studios on August 23, 2014 and part of the hard ticket event was Oogie Boogie's Freak Funhouse Show. Oogie Boogie hosts the show that features a sword-swallowing act, daredevil archery and a finale full of fire!
- Refurb closures planned for Walt Disney World water parks - Typhoon Lagoon will be closed 10/26/14-1/3/15 and Blizzard Beach will be closed 1/4/15-3/14/15.
- Top 5 Signature Dining Experiences at the Walt Disney World Resorts - 1,600 listeners and viewers of our DIS Unplugged web-cast voted on their favorite signature restaurants at the Walt Disney World resort hotels.
- Blog - The Top 5 Underutilized Spaces at Walt Disney World
- Starbucks will open at Hollywood Studios in February 2015 - The Trolley Car Cafe will be located along Hollywood Boulevard and be themed like a trolley car station. Disney baked goods and Starbucks La Boulange pastry items will be available. An exact location hasn't been announced.
- VIDEO - Frozen Fireworks Multi-Angle Full Show - “Frozen” Fireworks Spectacular – Everything wraps up at 9:45 p.m. when Anna, Elsa, Kristoff, and Olaf come together at the Sorcerer’s Hat Icon Stage for a grand finale to the day’s festivities, kicking off an awe-inspiring fireworks display set to the glorious music of “Frozen!”
- VIDEO: Star-Lord & Gamora from 'Guardians of the Galaxy' at Villains Unleashed - Peter Quill, aka Star-Lord, and Gamora made their first appearance ever at the Guardians of the Galaxy Awesome Mix Tape Vol. 1 Dance Party during the Villains Unleashed event at Disney's Hollywood Studios.
- Mikala Canoe Club Marina at Polynesian to be closed for refurb - The marina will be closed 9/15 - 9/19/2014. Sail boat/motorized boats and fishing excursions will not be available.
- Entrance 4 to Downtown Disney's parking lot now closed - Entrance 4 (between Cirque du Soleil and DisneyQuest) is now closed permanently. The only entrances are Entrance 2 (across from the Hess Station) and Entrance 5 (across from Typhoon Lagoon).
- VIDEO: Villains Unleashed Opening Ceremony - Villains Unleashed kicked off at Disney's Hollywood Studios with an opening ceremony hosted by Hades, Pain, Panic and Megara from Hercules. Once the stars of the night took the stage they introduced some of the 50 Disney Villains guests could meet at the special hard ticket event.
- VIDEO: Villains Unleashed Event Overview - Over 50 Disney villains took over Disney's Hollywood Studios for the Villains Unleashed Event.
- Times updated for events at Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party - The Party is a specially ticketed event at the Magic Kingdom that begins September 1.
- Villains' Sinister Soiree add-on available for Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party - This special add-on will give guests preferred viewing for Mickey's Boo to You Halloween Parade (8:15pm) and the Happy HalloWishes fireworks show. Lady Tremaine will host a dessert soiree at Cinderella's Royal Table Restaurant for you and some of her friends.
- 5 Elements from the Disney Parks that You'll Find on a Disney Cruise Ship - You have been to the Disney Parks, and you love them. You keep going back for that pixie-dust rush. You can’t imagine a vacation apart from Disney Parks, yet somehow the “old and familiar” is getting a bit old and familiar. This is where the Disney Cruise Line enters. It’s a Disney vacation of a different variety. The dissimilarities are a bit obvious. You’re on a ship in the ocean, visiting foreign places. This is nothing like being landlocked in a park, surrounded by coasters and kiosks. So what can you expect from the Disney Parks to carry over to your cruise?
- Blog - "Villains Unleashed" needs leashing up - Disney's overcrowded hard ticket event leaves guests in long lines most of the night
- Mickey's PhilharMagic refurb extended - The end date has been moved from September 19 to the 28th. The attraction will go down September 8.
- Enchanted Tiki Room going down for refurb in late September - The Magic Kingdom attraction will be closed from 9/27 - 10/3/2014.
- Two Epcot New Year's Eve dining events released - More New Year's Eve events are yet to be released.
- Blog - Beyond Aulani
- Updated operating schedule for monorails - The monorail will have a different operating schedule than normal as an automation upgrade takes place.
- Charging stations for electric vehicles added to Epcot parking lot - Disney has added four Level 2 ChargePoint charging stations to the Journey parking lot at Epcot. Electric vehicles will be charged $.35 per kw/h, with a minimum charge of $1.50.
- Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party tickets sold out on 10/31/14 - Tickets are still available for all other dates.
- New Move it! Shake it! Dance and Play it! Street Party to debut at Magic Kingdom this fall - Stitch and Phineas & Ferb will join the party and Mickey, Minnie, Donald and Goofy will ride on top of giant gift boxes. The soundtrack will feature remixed classic party songs and guests will vote for one of three current hits to be played.
- VIDEO: What's New at Aulani - Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa has many new offerings. Quick service at Ulu Cafe, kids splash zone at Keiki Cove, two new pools, and much more.
- MagicBands can now be purchased without ticket media - The bands are now available for purchase across property.
- Changes to boat schedules at Downtown Disney - Schedules have been changing recently due to construction.
- Blog - The Good and Bad of the "Muppets Most Wanted" Blu-ray
- Ultimate Day VIP Tour available at Epcot Food & Wine Festival - This daylong tour begins at the Festival Center's VIP Lounge and includes champagne, a beverage tasting, six-course tapas-style lunch, wine, private backstage tours, time on Epcot attractions, food and beverage pairings with Disney chefs, VIP seating at the Eat to the Beat Concert Series, and reserved seating for IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth fireworks spectacular.
- Blog - New Golden Oak Outpost Menu is Waffle Fry Heaven
- Sunrise Safari at Animal Kingdom ending 12/28/14 - This tour is exclusive to Animal Kingdom Lodge Kilimanjaro Club Level guests.
- American Idol Experience to close August 30 - No plans have been announced for the space.
- Florida residents save $40 on Cirque du Soleil tickets - Through September and October, Florida residents will save $40 on adult Cirque du Soleil tickets purchased at the box office.
- VIDEO: The Refurbished Capt. Cook's at Polynesian Resort - After a long refurbishment, Capt. Cook's has reopened at the Polynesian Village Resort. Major changes include artwork in the seating area, a new menu, no more ordering off of touch screens and the tragic loss of the Dole Whip self-serve machine.
- American Film Institute at the end of Backlot Tour to close - As of August 17, the American Film Institute Showcase exhibit at the end of the ride will be closed. This exhibit features props and costumes from various films. The gift shop will also close.
- D23 Expo 2015 tickets are now on sale - Tickets for next year's D23 Expo are now on sale. The D23 Expo will be held August 14-16, 2015 at the Anaheim Convention Center.
- Blog - Polynesian Resort's Capt. Cook's quick service restaurant reopens after refurbishment
- Golden Oak Outpost now serving specialty waffle fries - This walk-up stand is located on the backside of Frontierland on the walkway to Adventureland.
- Tower of Terror On-ride videos available with Memory Maker - After riding The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, a video of the guest's ride will be added to their My Disney Experience account. This video is only available to guests who have purchased Memory Maker.
- Win a 2 Night / 3 Day stay at the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin! - Answer 3 questions about the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin on our contest page for a chance to WIN!
- Great Irish Hooley Festival to be held at Downtown Disney - "Hooley" is Irish slang for party or celebration. Celebrate with food, drink and dancing.
- Update coming to My Disney Experience - make dining reservations 20 minutes in advance - A new update will allow guests to make same day dining reservations only 20 minutes in advance.
- Performance times updated for Night of Joy - Disney’s Night of Joy is a hard-ticket event at the Magic Kingdom that features contemporary Christian performers.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Polynesian Resort Lobby - Lobby Waterfall - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at the Polynesian Resort.
- Blog - Haunted Mansion Merchandise Continues to Materialize
- Refurb scheduled this winter for the Haunted Mansion - The attraction will be closed from 12/1 - 12/19/14.
- It's Tough to be a Bug refurb extended until 9/27 - This attraction was originally scheduled to reopen August 11, but will instead stay closed through September 27.
- Yankee Trader shop refurb extended through December - The shop is becoming a Haunted Mansion gift shop.
See AllRECENT DISCUSSIONS
More Info ORLANDO HOTELS