Disney, Sony team up for Russian contentby Leah Zanolla
Dec 27, 2006
Hollywood Reporter - MOSCOW -- Russian cinema audiences could soon be watching Disney-branded, locally made animation and adventure movies after Burbank's most famous family entertainment brand moves to Moscow.
The arrival in Russia in January of the Walt Disney Motion Pictures Group -- as part of a new direct distribution partnership between Buena Vista International and Sony Pictures Releasing International, which will handle Columbia TriStar titles -- marks a new milestone in the evolution of the film industry here, where United International Pictures and 20th Century Fox also now have Moscow offices.
Although primarily a move to take advantage of the booming Russian distribution market, Disney also sees it as an opportunity to acquire and co-produce local content to supplement U.S. product, according to Mark Zoradi, president of the Walt Disney Motion Picture Group.
"We are currently open to both acquiring and distributing other locally Russian made movies and are looking to co-produce local content in the coming year," Zoradi said.
"I would like nothing better than to see locally-made Disney-branded films (released in Russia)," Zoradi said, adding that Disney had already "started talking" to Russian creative talent with experience in both animation and live action.
The BVI/SPRI joint venture-- the 15th internationally between the two distribution companies -- reflects the growing maturity of a fast-growing market that has seen domestic boxoffice receipts spiral from about $120 million in 2002 to an estimated $400 million this year, with predictions for a billion-dollar market being achieved around 2010.
"There was no specific trigger (for the decision to go into self-distribution in Russia)," Zoradi said. "We are constantly looking at the growth markets of the world and when it makes sense, we believe that going into self-distribution can generate greater potential. There was a great desire by the wider Walt Disney Co. to enter Russia. Boxoffice is growing significantly and there was the desire to develop the Disney brand in Russia."
The distribution joint venture -- something BVI and SPRI have successfully set up in Mexico, Brazil, Thailand, Singapore and the Philippines -- is designed to make the best use of combined corporate management, sales and back-office skills while allowing separate marketing and promotion teams to best place the two companies' respective titles with exhibitors.
Market positioning began in earnest earlier this month when Zoradi and other joint-venture executives flew to Russia to present the cream of the 2007 release slate to more than 500 Russian exhibitors at a Moscow industry trade fair.
The 26-minute show reel, which highlighted such titles as Disney's "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End" and "Rattatouille" and Columbia TriStar's "Ghost Rider" and "Spider-Man 3," was designed to whet the appetite of cinema and multiplex manager on the eve of what promises to be another boom year in Russian distribution and exhibition.
The arrival of the new kids on the block is a development that local producers and distributors already are watching with interest.
"The Disney/Columbia TriStar approach in launching its theatrical distribution business is different to that of its rivals (UIP and Fox), who just changed the signboard of their licensed distributors to their own names," said Armen Dishdishian, vp (international) at Moscow production and distribution house Central Partnership.
"The decision to create a joint venture for theatrical distribution in Russia has pros and cons. Economies of scale will save some money in media buying and a combined product lineup will afford greater market power in booking films in theaters. But although marketing and promotion for each companies titles will be handled separately, there remains a risk of conflict of interest in Russia -- especially when the two studios plan to release their anchor projects in the U.S. at the same time. The kind of booking compromise in Russia that will have to be made then remains unclear."
His concerns are echoed by Alexander Semenov, publisher of influential magazine "Russian Cinema Business Today."
"Russians have their own tastes and preferences. Do they love American comic books in Russia? I dare say: 'No!' Until recently, no one had even contemplated the existence of a character named Batman and children had never seen Spider-Man or Superman in printed matter," Semenov said, adding that "Batman Begins" and "Superman Returns" flopped at the Russian boxoffice, taking $1.4 million and $1.9 million respectively, partially because of a lack of advertising.
The Russian distributors of "Spider-Man 2" took note, he said, and "didn't skimp" on an advertising campaign that eventually helped the movie make an impressive $9.35 million at the Russian boxoffice.
See AllDIS UPDATES
- All 3 remaining weekends sold out for Harambe Nights - July 26, August 2 and August 9 are sold out.
- Annual passholder discount for Spice Road Table - Through 9/17/14, Annual Passholders can get a 30% discount on their bill.
- 2015 Military Ticket Discount info released - Members of the military can purchase 4-day Magic Your Way tickets with Park Hopper option for $177 each.
- Changes to reservation times for Wishes Dessert Party - Reservations are all being set for 6:00pm, no matter when Wishes is taking place. The dessert party will actually take place one hour before Wishes.
- Frozen Summer Fun Premium package is sold out for all remaining dates - This package gives guests at Frozen Summer Fun Live reserved viewing for several events.
- Wild by Design tour to be discontinued after 9/26/14 - This tour takes place at Disney's Animal Kingdom.
- Fantasy Football Convention coming to ESPN Wide World of Sports - The convention will give attendees access to ESPN talent, a live fantasy football draft and more.
- Blog - Sneak Preview of What's Coming to the 2014 Epcot International Food & Wine Festival
- Dates and pricing released for ICE! at Gaylord Palms - Using two million pounds of ice, this Gaylord Palms Resort special ticket exhibit will be transformed into the North Pole.
- Blog - Disney's Magical Express Age Limit Changes: A Parent's & Teacher's Perspective
- Blog - Five Reasons Why We're Not Seeing "Planes: Fire & Rescue" in Theaters
- Blog updated - I Just Spent $20 on FastPasses! Would You? - The author has taken the tour she discussed in the blog - check out her thoughts to see if she would do this again!
- Harambe Nights sold out this weekend - Harambe Nights is sold out for the weekend of July 19. Tickets are still available for the remaining weekends.
- Blog - July 2014 Magic Kingdom Construction Update
- Information for Food & Wine Festival special dining experiences - book 7/31 - Premium events will be announced July 24 and can be booked on July 31 beginning at 7:00am EST. To book, call 407-WDW-FEST (939-3378).
- Princess Half Marathon fills in less than 24 hours - The Princess Half Marathon, the Princess Enchanted 10K and the Glass Slipper Challenge are sold out, filling less than 24 hours after registration opened.
- Registration now open for Disney's Princess Half Marathon Weekend - Registration is already filling up. Prices are listed here and will go up after a certain date.
- Seats still remaining for Epcot International Food & Wine Festival Sneak Preview - Sample food's from this year's Festival and hear speakers discussing the new marketplaces, special events and more!
- Dolphins at Epcot will be offstage through August 7 - Guests will not be able to see the dolphins at The Seas with Nemo & Friends. The Dolphins in Depth Tour will be unavailable during this time as well.
- Changes in parking due to Downtown Disney Remodel - Speeds in the area will be reduced, as well as lanes closed. Buena Vista Drive will be expanded to 10 lanes.
- Blog - Disney Responds to Disability Access Service Lawsuit
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Magic Kingdom Turnstiles - Main St. Station - Wish you were at Disney today? Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Magic Kingdom Turnstiles - Main St. Station.
- Less than a month left to book a Disney vacation with free dining! - Guests can book a Walt Disney World room and ticket vacation package that includes a stay at a Walt Disney World resort, and receive the Dining Plan for free!
- Backstage package begins today Cirque du Soleil - Package is available for 6:00 performances on Fridays and Saturdays.
- Create a personalized Coca-Cola label at Club Cool - Guests at Walt Disney World will be able to create a personalized label for a 7.5 oz Coca-Cola can.
- Blog - Like This at Walt Disney World? Try That at Universal Orlando.
- Viewing locations for final World Cup games - The final three games will be shown in multiple locations.
- Blog - Some Dos and Don'ts of Frozen Summer Fun
- Candlelight Processional dining package info released - Information includes list of restaurants and approximate prices. Reserved fireworks viewing is not included this year.
- Minor changes to menu at Harambe Nights party - The lamb chops with tamarind pomegranate sauce will no longer be served. A Moroccan beef kefta dish will be served at the buffet after the show instead of the pre-show reception.
- Blog - I Just Spent $20 on FastPasses! Would You?
- It's Tough to be a Bug closes for refurb - The Animal Kingdom attraction will be closed from 7/7/14 - 8/11/14.
- Photos of Oaken's Trading Post and merchandise available at Frozen Summer Fun - We've added merchandise photos and photos of Oaken's Trading Post to our blog on this event.
- VIDEO: Anna and Elsa's Royal Welcome featuring Kristoff at Frozen Summer Fun - Frozen Summer Fun has come to Disney's Hollywood Studios and the first daily event is a Royal Welcome parade for Anna and Elsa with a special appearance by Kristoff. At the end of the parade, the two princesses appear on the Sorcerer Mickey hat stage for a sing-along of "Let It Go" with Olaf!
- New backstage package offered at Cirque du Soleil - This $250 package includes ticket, snacks, gift bag and backstage meet and greet.
- Minimum age lowered to travel solo on Magical Express - The minimum age to travel alone on Magical Express has been lowered to age 12 from age 16.
- Flying Fish Cafe to serve breakfast this fall - Reservations are now being accepted for 10/1 - 12/7/14.
- Florida residents can save 35% on a Room Only reservation - Florida residents can save when booking a room-only reservation at select Walt Disney World resorts for stays most nights July 2014 - September 2014.
- Premium Package added for Frozen Summer Fun Live - Package will include reserved seating and viewing for three of the day's events.
- Changes to PhotoPass print packages at restaurants - Beginning 7/27/14, PhotoPass print packages will no longer be offered table-side at Chef Mickey's, 1900 Park Fare, 'Ohana, Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue, Disney's Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show and Tusker House Restaurant.
- Time schedule announced for Frozen Summer Fun Live at Hollywood Studios - The world of Frozen is taking over Hollywood Studios this summer. Spend the day enjoying these brand-new interactive experiences.
- Extended operating hours for monorail for 4th of July holiday - The monorail will have extended operating hours on July 3-5.
- Garden View Tea Room at Grand Floridian to undergo refurb - Garden View Tea Room closed 6/30/14 - 8/29/14. Perfectly Princess Tea Party will take place at Citricos.
- Partial list of Candlelight Processional narrators announced - Sharon Stone and Ana Gasteyer are new additions this year.
- Blog - Making the Most Out of a Summer Trip to Walt Disney World
- 4th of July Craft beer event at the Swan and Dolphin Hotel - Eight different brews will be on tap as the hotel partners with Cigar City Brewing of Tampa.
- July merchandise events and signings at the Walt Disney World Resort - Disney artists will sign their work at locations around Walt Disney World.
- Two new VIP tours added at Walt Disney World - The Ultimate Day of Thrills - A VIP Tour Experience and The Ultimate Day for Young Families - A VIP Tour Experience will both take guests to three parks, giving them VIP access to several attractions.
- Cinderella's Royal Table to be closed for 2 months - The character dining restaurant will be closed for refurbishment 1/5/2015 - 3/6/2015.
- Blog - FROZEN Summer Fun LIVE! Coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios
- Several dates sold out for Animal Kingdom's Harambe Nights - Premium seating is sold out for all dates. General seating is sold out for 6/28 and 7/5.
- Several changes made to park hours for rest of 2014 - Many changes have been made to Extra Magic Hours, as well as park hours extended and more Fantasmic and Main Street Electrical performances added.
- Several refurb dates planned for Winter Summerland mini golf course - The summer course will be closed for several dates throughout the summer.
- Parking lot construction at Animal Kingdom through September - The lot will be expanded in anticipation of larger crowds with the additions coming to the park.
- Agent P World Showcase Adventure to utilize smartphones - Beginning 6/27/14, the current flip phones will be replaced with smartphones.
- Another new meet and greet location for Snow White - She can now be seen on the front porch of Town Square Theater.
- Blog - Downtown Disney - Land of construction walls and cranes
- Blog - Disney Park Favorites in New Vinylmation Park Starz 3
- Rock Your Summer Side Dance Party at Hollywood Studios - This dance party will take place nightly from 6:00-10:00pm.
- Details for 4th of July at Walt Disney World - The parks will have special fireworks shows and Disney characters dressed in patriotic costumes.
- Ticket discounts for Cirque du Soleil - Discounted tickets are available for performances July 1-19, July 14, July 23-Sept 13, Sept 23-27, 2014.
- Summer discounts available for Walt Disney World golf courses - Play early in the day and save on a round of golf.
- Partial character list scheduled for Villains Unleashed event - Villains can be seen in stage shows, character greetings, and more.
- Price increases to $15/hour at Disney's Children's Activity Centers - This is at Club Disney at the Polynesian, Simba's Cubhouse at Animal Kingdom Lodge, Sandcastle Club at the Beach Club, and Cub's Den at the Wilderness Lodge.
- Tables in Wonderland hosts Epcot Food & Wine Festival Preview Event - Sample food's from this year's Festival and hear speakers discussing the new marketplaces, special events and more.
- Wilderness Lodge main pool closing from 9/3-11/27/14 - Main Pool closed 9/3/2014- 11/27/2014. Guests may use the pool at Fort Wilderness or the Contemporary. Transportation will be provided.
See AllRECENT DISCUSSIONS
More Info ORLANDO HOTELS