Disney, Sony team up for Russian contentby Leah Zanolla
Dec 27, 2006
Hollywood Reporter - MOSCOW -- Russian cinema audiences could soon be watching Disney-branded, locally made animation and adventure movies after Burbank's most famous family entertainment brand moves to Moscow.
The arrival in Russia in January of the Walt Disney Motion Pictures Group -- as part of a new direct distribution partnership between Buena Vista International and Sony Pictures Releasing International, which will handle Columbia TriStar titles -- marks a new milestone in the evolution of the film industry here, where United International Pictures and 20th Century Fox also now have Moscow offices.
Although primarily a move to take advantage of the booming Russian distribution market, Disney also sees it as an opportunity to acquire and co-produce local content to supplement U.S. product, according to Mark Zoradi, president of the Walt Disney Motion Picture Group.
"We are currently open to both acquiring and distributing other locally Russian made movies and are looking to co-produce local content in the coming year," Zoradi said.
"I would like nothing better than to see locally-made Disney-branded films (released in Russia)," Zoradi said, adding that Disney had already "started talking" to Russian creative talent with experience in both animation and live action.
The BVI/SPRI joint venture-- the 15th internationally between the two distribution companies -- reflects the growing maturity of a fast-growing market that has seen domestic boxoffice receipts spiral from about $120 million in 2002 to an estimated $400 million this year, with predictions for a billion-dollar market being achieved around 2010.
"There was no specific trigger (for the decision to go into self-distribution in Russia)," Zoradi said. "We are constantly looking at the growth markets of the world and when it makes sense, we believe that going into self-distribution can generate greater potential. There was a great desire by the wider Walt Disney Co. to enter Russia. Boxoffice is growing significantly and there was the desire to develop the Disney brand in Russia."
The distribution joint venture -- something BVI and SPRI have successfully set up in Mexico, Brazil, Thailand, Singapore and the Philippines -- is designed to make the best use of combined corporate management, sales and back-office skills while allowing separate marketing and promotion teams to best place the two companies' respective titles with exhibitors.
Market positioning began in earnest earlier this month when Zoradi and other joint-venture executives flew to Russia to present the cream of the 2007 release slate to more than 500 Russian exhibitors at a Moscow industry trade fair.
The 26-minute show reel, which highlighted such titles as Disney's "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End" and "Rattatouille" and Columbia TriStar's "Ghost Rider" and "Spider-Man 3," was designed to whet the appetite of cinema and multiplex manager on the eve of what promises to be another boom year in Russian distribution and exhibition.
The arrival of the new kids on the block is a development that local producers and distributors already are watching with interest.
"The Disney/Columbia TriStar approach in launching its theatrical distribution business is different to that of its rivals (UIP and Fox), who just changed the signboard of their licensed distributors to their own names," said Armen Dishdishian, vp (international) at Moscow production and distribution house Central Partnership.
"The decision to create a joint venture for theatrical distribution in Russia has pros and cons. Economies of scale will save some money in media buying and a combined product lineup will afford greater market power in booking films in theaters. But although marketing and promotion for each companies titles will be handled separately, there remains a risk of conflict of interest in Russia -- especially when the two studios plan to release their anchor projects in the U.S. at the same time. The kind of booking compromise in Russia that will have to be made then remains unclear."
His concerns are echoed by Alexander Semenov, publisher of influential magazine "Russian Cinema Business Today."
"Russians have their own tastes and preferences. Do they love American comic books in Russia? I dare say: 'No!' Until recently, no one had even contemplated the existence of a character named Batman and children had never seen Spider-Man or Superman in printed matter," Semenov said, adding that "Batman Begins" and "Superman Returns" flopped at the Russian boxoffice, taking $1.4 million and $1.9 million respectively, partially because of a lack of advertising.
The Russian distributors of "Spider-Man 2" took note, he said, and "didn't skimp" on an advertising campaign that eventually helped the movie make an impressive $9.35 million at the Russian boxoffice.
See AllDIS UPDATES
- Limited Time Magic: Secret Santa Week - Visit the Town Square Christmas Tree on Main Street and see Duffy in his Christmas outfit. Other Disney characters will be located around the park. Get a special decorated keepsake card from each one as a souvenir.
- Limited Time Magic: Tour the Magic Kingdom with Phil Holmes - 25 lucky guests will get to tour the park with current Vice President Phil Holmes.
- Blog - Best Places to View EPCOT’s Illuminations: Reflections of Earth
- VIDEO: Holiday Storytellers - The Canadian Holiday Voyageurs - New to Holidays Around The World 2013 at Epcot in 2013 are the Canadian Holiday Voyageurs. The Canadian Holiday Voyageurs play multiple sets each day filled with Christmas songs done the Canadian way on the Mill Stage.
- Blog - EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW with Jonathan Groff from FROZEN
- Guests at All Star Resorts will no longer receive Key to the World cards - As of 12/2/13, guests at All Star Sports Resort will no longer receive a Key to the World card. All information for the resort and parks will be on the Magic Band you receive when you check in. This will begin at All Star Music on 12/4/13 and at All Star Movies on 12/6/13. This system is already in place at Pop Century.
- VIDEO: it's a small world Holiday Full POV Ride-Through - The happiest cruise that ever sailed gets even merrier for the holidays. it's a small world, the 1964 World's Fair attraction that came to Disneyland in 1966, gets a full overlay for the holiday season including decorations and a new soundtrack!
- Atlanta Braves spring training tickets now on sale - The Atlanta Braves return to ESPN Wide World of Sports for their annual spring training. Tickets are first come/first served and the games take place at Champion Stadium.
- Blog - Give Kids the World Village and Giving Tuesday December 3, 2013
- VIDEO: Gran Fiesta Tour POV Ride-Through - Donald Duck disappears on his way to a Three Caballeros performance in Mexico City and his friends, José Carioca and Panchito Pistoles, set out to search for him.
- Blog - Brewing Now: Joffrey’s Disney Parks Collection of Coffees
- Blog - A Brit’s Perspective – Visiting the UK in Orlando
- Specialty food and drink offered for holidays at Epcot - New this holiday season, each country will be serving a specialty food and drink.
- New bus loop at Magic Kingdom open - In addition to regular single stops, there are several double stops that will accommodate two regular buses or one of the new articulated buses.
- Limited Time Magic: Donate a Duffy the Disney Bear to Toys for Tots - Visit the Once Upon a Toy store or the World of Disney store at Downtown Disney and with every $5 purchase, Disney will donate a Duffy the Disney Bear toy to Toys for Tots.
- Limited Time Magic: Jolly Year of the Ear - Celebrate the season in style with Santa Mickey and Minnie Santa ear hats - only available for a short time at the Emporium at Magic Kingdom.
- Times and dates for Epcot holiday storytellers - Each country has its own special theme that highlights its culture. Storytellers will delight you with tales of their heritage and how the holidays are celebrated in their homeland.
- VIDEO: "Let It Go" from Disney's Frozen in Celebrate the Magic - This holiday season, "Let It Go" from Disney's Frozen is featured in Celebrate the Magic, the nighttime projection show on Cinderella Castle.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Main Street Plaza - Cinderella Castle - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Main Street Plaza - Cinderella Castle November 11, 2013 - Night
- Blog - Happy Thanksgiving from the Magic Kingdom!
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Main Street U.S.A. Bridge - Main Street U.S.A. - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Main Street U.S.A. Bridge - Main Street U.S.A., November 11, 2013 - Night
- Blog - Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom: Turnstile-Free!
- New holiday entertainment for the Canada pavilion at Epcot - Follow the Canadian Holiday Voyageurs on a musical tour to discover the country's holiday customs.
- Blog - Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights 101
- Royal Caribbean is offering a $200 Onboard Credit and 50% Reduced Deposit! - The offer is only available for booking on December 2, 3 and 4, 2013.
- Disney Vacation Club members offered event at Splitsville Luxury Lanes - On December 2 and 9 from 5-6:45pm, the experience will include bowling, shoe rental, a shared appetizer, an entree (or kids' meal), a signature beverage and a special DVC gift.
- Several rehabs added for early 2014 - The Magic Carpets of Aladdin, Festival of the Lion King, Kali River Rapids, and the Studio Backlot Tour have all been added to the rehab list.
- Aulani named Best for Families by Fodor's Travel - Aulani was recently named "Best for Families" by Fodor's Travel in their "Top 10 Hawaiian Resorts for 2013" list.
- Blog - Review: “Frozen”
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Main Street Train Station - Main Street U.S.A. - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Main Street Train Station - Main Street U.S.A., November 11, 2013 - Night
- Limited Time Magic: Thanksgiving Treats Available - Special treats will be available at various locations in the theme parks.
- New Year's Eve dining info for Swan and Dolphin Hotels - The restaurants of the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin will be offering special New Year's Eve menus.
- Walt Disney World Annual Passholders can save up to 37% at select hotels - Discount is valid for travel between 1/4/14-3/18/14, 3/14/14-3/29/14, 1/19/14-3/13/14 and 3/30/14-4/12/14.
- Blog - Why I’m excited to take my baby on a Disney Cruise!
- Limited Time Magic: Jingle Cruise poster giveaway - Celebrate the Jingle Cruise at Magic Kingdom and Disneyland Park with a complimentary mini poster while supplies last.
- Several rehabs scheduled for the Magic Kingdom - Among the closings are The Plaza Restaurant, Pinocchio Village Haus, Tomorrowland Transit Authority People Mover, Barnstormer, and the Liberty Square Riverboat.
- Blog - Disney’s Newest Animated Feature “Frozen” Flurries Into Theme Parks On Both Coasts
- The Comedy Warehouse Holiday Special to return? - Rumors are that the popular holiday version of The Comedy Warehouse will be returning to Hollywood Studios this year.
- Blog - EXCLUSIVE: Nikon becomes the Official Camera of Walt Disney World and Disneyland
- VIDEO: Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party 2013 - What happens when you combine one 30,000 pound, 65 foot tree, one 40 foot star, 5500 twinkling lights, 430 feet of garland, 325 ornaments, 275 feet of strung popcorn, 400 flickering candles, 135 candy canes, 100 gingerbread cookies and the Disney Characters? Why, you have the perfect recipe for Christmas at the Magic Kingdom!
- Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party Photography - Creative photos from Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party
- Christmas dining options for Walt Disney World - All restaurants on property will be open as normal, but some are serving special Christmas menus.
- Thanksgiving dining options at Walt Disney World - All restaurants on property will be open as normal, but some are serving special Thanksgiving menus.
- New looks available for the holidays at Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique - Now through 1/3/14, little girls can choose from a Frozen Package or a Holiday Minnie Package.
- Santa Claus comes to Downtown Disney - At the Marketplace, you'll find Santa Claus waiting to greet you at his chalet in front of the World of Disney store.
- VIDEO: Josh Gad - Voice of Olaf in "Frozen" - Interview - Josh Gad, the voice of Olaf in "Frozen" and "World of Color - Winter Dreams" and Tony Award nominee for "The Book of Mormon", takes a few minutes to talk about how important it was to work on a Disney film that led to a theme park experience and the music behind it all.
- All guests at Pop Century will now use MagicBands - As of 11/14/13, guests at Pop Century will no longer receive a Key to the World card. All information for the resort and parks will be on the Magic Band you receive when you check in.
See AllRECENT DISCUSSIONS
More Info ORLANDO HOTELS