Iron Man 3 earns $175 million over opening weekendLeah Zanolla | Posted: May 5, 2013 | Updated: May 5, 2013 - 8:46:12 PM
Disney continues to reap the benefits of their Marvel acquisition as Iron Man 3 starring Robert Downey Jr. earned approximately $175 million on opening weekend. The film follows Downey's character Tony Stark/Iron Man dealing with the aftermath of the events of last year's The Avengers, which earned over $1.5 billion worldwide.
This third film in the Iron Man franchise now holds the record for the second-best box office opening weekend ever. It only seems appropriate that the film holding the record for best opening weekend ever is the aforementioned The Avengers, with $207.4 million.
Not only is the box office total astonishing because of its place in the record books, but Hollywood has always been skeptical of whether or not a film franchise has "legs" to continue being popular when releasing a third installment. In addition, Jon Favreau, who directed the first two films (and holds a small role in this movie) handed the directorial reigns to Shane Black (Kiss Kiss Bang Bang). Neither of those concerns could stop the movie from earning an 'A' on CinemaScore or amassing close to $680 million worldwide as of May 5th. If that number doesn't seem impressive, Iron Man 2 earned $623 at the worldwide box office over its entire run.
Downey Jr. has been coy about whether or not he's willing and/or interested in playing Iron Man in any more films (including the yet-to-be-titled Avengers sequel). Regardless of his decision, the three films in the Iron Man franchise have combined to earn nearly $1.9 billion. Even more amazing? Downey Jr. recently confirmed the negotiation of a rare contractual clause in Hollywood that pays an actor/actress a percentage of a film's profits. He reportedly signed such an agreement before playing Iron Man for the first time back in 2008, and recently confirmed this deal made him close to $50 million richer because of the success of The Avengers. While the specifics of the deal have only been speculated, imagine how much he may have earned from playing the same character in four different films that have earned an amazing $3.3 billion.
Daily Email DIS Updates
Stay Informed With All Things Disney!
Enter your email address below to receive DIS Updates by email – including News, Blogs, Podcasts, Discounts, and Disney Updates.
Sign Up & Win A Prize!
Each month we select one of our subscribers at random and give away a prize! Prizes range from a $50 Disney Gift Card, Adventures by Disney trip for two, or a 7 day/6 night stay at Walt Disney World with dining for a family of four!
- Marketplace menus for Epot International Food & Wine Festival - List of menu items for the marketplaces set up around World Showcase.
- Rehab planned in November for Magic Carpets of Aladdin - The Magic Kingdom attraction will be closed 11/10 - 11/21/2014.
- Food & Wine Festival Special Dining Experiences released - Bookings for these experiences begin July 31.
- 10 Places to Wait Out a Thunderstorm at Walt Disney World
- Disney Castaway Cay Challenge added to Princess Half Marathon Weekend - Runners who are registered for any of the Disney races (5K or longer) during the Weekend have the option to complete the Disney Castaway Cay Challenge when sailing on the Disney Dream February 23-27.
- Fantasia Miniature Golf Course rehab planned off and on for the next two weeks - Gardens Course closed 7/22-7/25/2014, 7/28-8/1/2014, 8/4-8/8/2014. The Fairways will still be open.
- Blog - I Can Go The Distance: Deciding is one thing, registering is another
- Save up to 30% on a Room Only reservation at Walt Disney World! - Valid for stays most nights 10/4/14 - 11/25/14 and 11/29/14 - 12/23/14.
- 2015 WDW hotel discount released for U.S. Military - Valid for stays most nights 9/28/14 - 10/3/15.
- All 3 remaining weekends sold out for Harambe Nights - July 26, August 2 and August 9 are sold out.
- Annual passholder discount for Spice Road Table - Through 9/17/14, Annual Passholders can get a 30% discount on their bill.
- 2015 Military Ticket Discount info released - Members of the military can purchase 4-day Magic Your Way tickets with Park Hopper option for $177 each.
- Changes to reservation times for Wishes Dessert Party - Reservations are all being set for 6:00pm, no matter when Wishes is taking place. The dessert party will actually take place one hour before Wishes.
- Frozen Summer Fun Premium package is sold out for all remaining dates - This package gives guests at Frozen Summer Fun Live reserved viewing for several events.
- Wild by Design tour to be discontinued after 9/26/14 - This tour takes place at Disney's Animal Kingdom.
- Fantasy Football Convention coming to ESPN Wide World of Sports - The convention will give attendees access to ESPN talent, a live fantasy football draft and more.
- Blog - Sneak Preview of What's Coming to the 2014 Epcot International Food & Wine Festival
- Dates and pricing released for ICE! at Gaylord Palms - Using two million pounds of ice, this Gaylord Palms Resort special ticket exhibit will be transformed into the North Pole.
- Blog - Disney's Magical Express Age Limit Changes: A Parent's & Teacher's Perspective
- Blog - Five Reasons Why We're Not Seeing "Planes: Fire & Rescue" in Theaters
- Blog updated - I Just Spent $20 on FastPasses! Would You? - The author has taken the tour she discussed in the blog - check out her thoughts to see if she would do this again!
- Blog - July 2014 Magic Kingdom Construction Update
- Information for Food & Wine Festival special dining experiences - book 7/31 - Premium events will be announced July 24 and can be booked on July 31 beginning at 7:00am EST. To book, call 407-WDW-FEST (939-3378).
- Princess Half Marathon fills in less than 24 hours - The Princess Half Marathon, the Princess Enchanted 10K and the Glass Slipper Challenge are sold out, filling less than 24 hours after registration opened.
- Dolphins at Epcot will be offstage through August 7 - Guests will not be able to see the dolphins at The Seas with Nemo & Friends. The Dolphins in Depth Tour will be unavailable during this time as well.
- Changes in parking due to Downtown Disney Remodel - Speeds in the area will be reduced, as well as lanes closed. Buena Vista Drive will be expanded to 10 lanes.
- Blog - Disney Responds to Disability Access Service Lawsuit