PUSH, Disney's talking trashcan, no longer in parksLeah Zanolla | Posted: Feb 9, 2014 | Updated: Feb 10, 2014 - 9:37:36 PM
It looks like PUSH, the talking trashcan at Walt Disney World, is actually gone. For the past couple of weeks, the Disney community has discussed the rumor that PUSH may be going away for good on Saturday, February 8. Distressed fans took to Twitter, Facebook and message boards like the DISboards voicing their displeasure in the change. On February 7, an article in the Orlando Sentinel quoted a Disney spokesperson who said there was "nothing to" the rumors and that PUSH "isn't going anywhere." Now, a post on twitter by easywdw claims that Disney has in fact removed PUSH from the Magic Kingdom.
The post shows what appears to be a screenshot from Disney's internal cast member website that says, "We will no longer have a talking trashcan performing act at Walt Disney World Resort effective Sunday February 9." It advises cast members to instead promote the Incredibles' Super Dance Party in Tomorrowland and says that "the contract for the talking trashcan performing act has expired." It also says there are no immediate plans for a similar performance.
Update 2/10/14: According to the Orlando Sentinel, the contract between Disney and the man behind PUSH expired this weekend and attempted negotiations failed. Disney did not discuss why the contract was not extended.
When asked why Disney had originally said there were no plans for PUSH to leave, spokeswoman Andrea Finger said, "While our contract discussions are confidential, there was additional communication since Friday and we were unable to reach agreement to extend the contract."
The Sentinel article has been edited to add the following information from Daniel Deutsch, the inventor of PUSH and co-owner of Real Simple Ideas (the Orlando product-development company that owns PUSH and employs PUSH's operator):
Deutsch said the contract contained "some abiguity to the verbiage as to what they owned and what I owned." He says he has sent a proposal to Disney but hasn't yet heard back. He also said, "As far as I'm concerned, I would love to have PUSH remain and continue entertaining guests."
He didn't mention how much Real Simple Ideas was paid for PUSH, but that the trashcan was to perform daily seven times per day.
Daily Email DIS Updates
Stay Informed With All Things Disney!
Enter your email address below to receive DIS Updates by email – including News, Blogs, Podcasts, Discounts, and Disney Updates.
See AllDIS UPDATES
- Marketplace menus for Epot International Food & Wine Festival - List of menu items for the marketplaces set up around World Showcase.
- Rehab planned in November for Magic Carpets of Aladdin - The Magic Kingdom attraction will be closed 11/10 - 11/21/2014.
- Food & Wine Festival Special Dining Experiences released - Bookings for these experiences begin July 31.
- 10 Places to Wait Out a Thunderstorm at Walt Disney World
- Disney Castaway Cay Challenge added to Princess Half Marathon Weekend - Runners who are registered for any of the Disney races (5K or longer) during the Weekend have the option to complete the Disney Castaway Cay Challenge when sailing on the Disney Dream February 23-27.
- Fantasia Miniature Golf Course rehab planned off and on for the next two weeks - Gardens Course closed 7/22-7/25/2014, 7/28-8/1/2014, 8/4-8/8/2014. The Fairways will still be open.
- Blog - I Can Go The Distance: Deciding is one thing, registering is another
- Save up to 30% on a Room Only reservation at Walt Disney World! - Valid for stays most nights 10/4/14 - 11/25/14 and 11/29/14 - 12/23/14.
- 2015 WDW hotel discount released for U.S. Military - Valid for stays most nights 9/28/14 - 10/3/15.
- All 3 remaining weekends sold out for Harambe Nights - July 26, August 2 and August 9 are sold out.
- Annual passholder discount for Spice Road Table - Through 9/17/14, Annual Passholders can get a 30% discount on their bill.
- 2015 Military Ticket Discount info released - Members of the military can purchase 4-day Magic Your Way tickets with Park Hopper option for $177 each.
- Changes to reservation times for Wishes Dessert Party - Reservations are all being set for 6:00pm, no matter when Wishes is taking place. The dessert party will actually take place one hour before Wishes.
- Frozen Summer Fun Premium package is sold out for all remaining dates - This package gives guests at Frozen Summer Fun Live reserved viewing for several events.
- Wild by Design tour to be discontinued after 9/26/14 - This tour takes place at Disney's Animal Kingdom.
- Fantasy Football Convention coming to ESPN Wide World of Sports - The convention will give attendees access to ESPN talent, a live fantasy football draft and more.
- Blog - Sneak Preview of What's Coming to the 2014 Epcot International Food & Wine Festival
- Dates and pricing released for ICE! at Gaylord Palms - Using two million pounds of ice, this Gaylord Palms Resort special ticket exhibit will be transformed into the North Pole.
- Blog - Disney's Magical Express Age Limit Changes: A Parent's & Teacher's Perspective
- Blog - Five Reasons Why We're Not Seeing "Planes: Fire & Rescue" in Theaters
- Blog updated - I Just Spent $20 on FastPasses! Would You? - The author has taken the tour she discussed in the blog - check out her thoughts to see if she would do this again!
- Blog - July 2014 Magic Kingdom Construction Update
- Information for Food & Wine Festival special dining experiences - book 7/31 - Premium events will be announced July 24 and can be booked on July 31 beginning at 7:00am EST. To book, call 407-WDW-FEST (939-3378).
- Princess Half Marathon fills in less than 24 hours - The Princess Half Marathon, the Princess Enchanted 10K and the Glass Slipper Challenge are sold out, filling less than 24 hours after registration opened.
- Dolphins at Epcot will be offstage through August 7 - Guests will not be able to see the dolphins at The Seas with Nemo & Friends. The Dolphins in Depth Tour will be unavailable during this time as well.
- Changes in parking due to Downtown Disney Remodel - Speeds in the area will be reduced, as well as lanes closed. Buena Vista Drive will be expanded to 10 lanes.
- Blog - Disney Responds to Disability Access Service Lawsuit
See AllRECENT DISCUSSIONS
More Info ORLANDO HOTELS