New hotel coming to Universal Orlando in 2014by Leah Zanolla
Jul 9, 2012
Universal Orlando will be adding a new hotel in 2014. Universal Parks & Resorts and Loews Hotels & Resorts just announced Universal's Cabana Bay Beach Resort, a new affordable on-site option for families visiting the theme parks.
Unlike the current three hotels (Loews Portofino Bay Hotel, the Hard Rock Hotel and Loews Royal Pacific Resort), Cabana Bay will feature 900 family suites that will sleep six and include kitchenette areas.
In addition to the suites, 900 standard rooms will also be available. According to Universal, the hotel will have a much different theme than the resort's current offerings. It is designed to remind guests of "the driving vacations so many Americans grew up enjoying with their families - spending time at sweeping motor courts just off the highway, where families relaxed and played after a long day's drive." Clean lines, bright colors and neon signs will accomplish the vintage feel. Two themed pools will give guests a place to relax and enjoy the atmosphere.
The plans for Cabana Bay sound strikingly similar to Walt Disney World's newest resort, Art of Animation, which began opening in May. Art of Animation also features six-person suites, as well as standard rooms, and is being marketed as a value priced family hotel.
Tom Williams, chairman and chief executive officer of Universal Parks & Resorts, said, "Our new hotel will give guests an affordable, incredibly themed on-site hotel experience unlike anything else at our resort. Our new family suites and family-value pricing will give our guests on-site options they've never had before."
Guests at Cabana Bay will receive early entry to the theme parks, just like guests at the three current on-site hotels, but they will not receive the complimentary Universal Express Unlimited Access. Removing the front-of-the-line passes is an interesting development; Universal is ultimately now dividing their guests into a sort of "class system" based on their level of accommodations. Therefore, only those who stay at the higher priced hotels get front of the line access. While there have been rumors of Disney offering Fastpass priority to their on-site resort guests, it has yet to come to fruition.
The new hotel will be located on a 37-acre plot of land adjacent to Islands of Adventure just off Hollywood Way and Turkey Lake Road. Construction is expected to begin soon; pricing and opening date information will be released at a later date.
- News Source
- Subscribe to receive DIS Updates and News by email!
- News Feed
- Last Updated: Jul 9, 2012 - 3:55:03 PM
See AllDIS UPDATES
- Save up to 30% on a Room Only reservation at Walt Disney World! - Valid for stays most nights 10/4/14 - 11/25/14 and 11/29/14 - 12/23/14.
- 2015 WDW hotel discount released for U.S. Military - Valid for stays most nights 9/28/14 - 10/3/15.
- All 3 remaining weekends sold out for Harambe Nights - July 26, August 2 and August 9 are sold out.
- Annual passholder discount for Spice Road Table - Through 9/17/14, Annual Passholders can get a 30% discount on their bill.
- 2015 Military Ticket Discount info released - Members of the military can purchase 4-day Magic Your Way tickets with Park Hopper option for $177 each.
- Changes to reservation times for Wishes Dessert Party - Reservations are all being set for 6:00pm, no matter when Wishes is taking place. The dessert party will actually take place one hour before Wishes.
- Frozen Summer Fun Premium package is sold out for all remaining dates - This package gives guests at Frozen Summer Fun Live reserved viewing for several events.
- Wild by Design tour to be discontinued after 9/26/14 - This tour takes place at Disney's Animal Kingdom.
- Fantasy Football Convention coming to ESPN Wide World of Sports - The convention will give attendees access to ESPN talent, a live fantasy football draft and more.
- Blog - Sneak Preview of What's Coming to the 2014 Epcot International Food & Wine Festival
- Dates and pricing released for ICE! at Gaylord Palms - Using two million pounds of ice, this Gaylord Palms Resort special ticket exhibit will be transformed into the North Pole.
- Blog - Disney's Magical Express Age Limit Changes: A Parent's & Teacher's Perspective
- Blog - Five Reasons Why We're Not Seeing "Planes: Fire & Rescue" in Theaters
- Blog updated - I Just Spent $20 on FastPasses! Would You? - The author has taken the tour she discussed in the blog - check out her thoughts to see if she would do this again!
- Blog - July 2014 Magic Kingdom Construction Update
- Information for Food & Wine Festival special dining experiences - book 7/31 - Premium events will be announced July 24 and can be booked on July 31 beginning at 7:00am EST. To book, call 407-WDW-FEST (939-3378).
- Princess Half Marathon fills in less than 24 hours - The Princess Half Marathon, the Princess Enchanted 10K and the Glass Slipper Challenge are sold out, filling less than 24 hours after registration opened.
- Dolphins at Epcot will be offstage through August 7 - Guests will not be able to see the dolphins at The Seas with Nemo & Friends. The Dolphins in Depth Tour will be unavailable during this time as well.
- Changes in parking due to Downtown Disney Remodel - Speeds in the area will be reduced, as well as lanes closed. Buena Vista Drive will be expanded to 10 lanes.
- Blog - Disney Responds to Disability Access Service Lawsuit
See AllRECENT DISCUSSIONS
More Info ORLANDO HOTELS