New hotel coming to Universal Orlando in 2014by Leah Zanolla
Jul 9, 2012
Universal Orlando will be adding a new hotel in 2014. Universal Parks & Resorts and Loews Hotels & Resorts just announced Universal's Cabana Bay Beach Resort, a new affordable on-site option for families visiting the theme parks.
Unlike the current three hotels (Loews Portofino Bay Hotel, the Hard Rock Hotel and Loews Royal Pacific Resort), Cabana Bay will feature 900 family suites that will sleep six and include kitchenette areas.
In addition to the suites, 900 standard rooms will also be available. According to Universal, the hotel will have a much different theme than the resort's current offerings. It is designed to remind guests of "the driving vacations so many Americans grew up enjoying with their families - spending time at sweeping motor courts just off the highway, where families relaxed and played after a long day's drive." Clean lines, bright colors and neon signs will accomplish the vintage feel. Two themed pools will give guests a place to relax and enjoy the atmosphere.
The plans for Cabana Bay sound strikingly similar to Walt Disney World's newest resort, Art of Animation, which began opening in May. Art of Animation also features six-person suites, as well as standard rooms, and is being marketed as a value priced family hotel.
Tom Williams, chairman and chief executive officer of Universal Parks & Resorts, said, "Our new hotel will give guests an affordable, incredibly themed on-site hotel experience unlike anything else at our resort. Our new family suites and family-value pricing will give our guests on-site options they've never had before."
Guests at Cabana Bay will receive early entry to the theme parks, just like guests at the three current on-site hotels, but they will not receive the complimentary Universal Express Unlimited Access. Removing the front-of-the-line passes is an interesting development; Universal is ultimately now dividing their guests into a sort of "class system" based on their level of accommodations. Therefore, only those who stay at the higher priced hotels get front of the line access. While there have been rumors of Disney offering Fastpass priority to their on-site resort guests, it has yet to come to fruition.
The new hotel will be located on a 37-acre plot of land adjacent to Islands of Adventure just off Hollywood Way and Turkey Lake Road. Construction is expected to begin soon; pricing and opening date information will be released at a later date.
- News Source
- Subscribe to receive DIS Updates and News by email!
- News Feed
- Last Updated: Jul 9, 2012 - 3:55:03 PM
See AllDIS UPDATES
- Blog - A Shopping Oasis: Merchandise at Disney's Flower & Garden Festival
- Pollo Campero at Downtown Disney will be closing 3/19/14 - Pollo Campero, Bodie's All-American Grill and Babycakes NYC will be closing 3/19/14. Babycakes NYC will still be providing gluten-free items to select Walt Disney World food courts and restaurants.
- Blog - 2014 Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival opens in Epcot
- Registration for the Wine & Dine Half Marathon opens today - This race is held in conjunction with the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival.
- Blog - Haunted Mansion Merchandise Materializes in Disney Parks
- New dates for D23's Destination D - The event will be held November 22-23, 2014.
- 2015 Walt Disney World Marathon dates - Registration for the 2015 marathon begins 4/22/14.
- Blog - A Brit's Perspective - Changing of the Seasons at the Orlando theme parks
- Rebel Rendezvous merchandise event planned for Star Wars Weekends - Attendees will receive exclusive access to Darth's Mall a day before it opens to the public.
- Blog - A February Stroll through the Magic Kingdom
- Walt Disney World restaurants add Braille menus - Beginning March 1, select restaurants will be adding Braille menus, though a list of participating restaurants is not yet available. The Braille menus will have examples of the menu items but may not list all the short term or temporary items.
- Family Ticket offer - get one free day! - Get one FREE additional day on each ticket when you buy 6 or more 4-day or longer Magic Your Way tickets!
- Blog - Disney's Polynesian Resort is Changing in a Big Way
- Just announced! Festival of Fantasy parade will debut March 9! - This parade will run daily in the afternoons at the Magic Kingdom.
- Celebrate Earth Day at Disney's Animal Kingdom - The park is also celebrating the release of Disneynature's newest film Bears, which hits theaters April 18.
- Car Masters Weekend to be held at Downtown Disney - This event takes place June 14-15.
- Walt Disney World ticket prices increase - Ticket prices have gone up effective today, Sunday, February 23.
- Mighty St. Patrick's Day Festival planned for Downtown Disney - Downtown Disney celebrates St. Patrick's Day with live music, a step-by-step Irish jig workshop, classic Irish food and drink, Irish storytellers, Irish history and merchandise at Raglan Road's Shop.
- Star Wars Weekends - extra weekend added, plus Hyperspace Hoopla cancelled - A nightly fireworks show has been added instead of the Hyperspace Hoopla party.
See AllRECENT DISCUSSIONS
More Info ORLANDO HOTELS